PDA

View Full Version : ***2007 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread***

Pages : [1] 2

Sully
04-09-2007, 11:58 AM
The time is once again here for us few fans of the NHL to have a thread to discuss the Stanley Cup.

Use this thread to discuss how your team is doing (or not Avs and Blues fans... LOL)

For those uninterested, feel free to waste your time telling us how hockey sucks...it will only make the thread stay at the top longer.

Sully
04-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Here is a decent looking bracket.

QuikSsurfer
04-09-2007, 12:44 PM
he's coming
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Warick/2007-04-06%20-%20Stars%20vs%20Ducks/starsvsducks-50.jpg

chagrin
04-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Well, that's okay Sully, see you after Calgary rolls the Wings.

chagrin
04-09-2007, 12:46 PM
he's coming

He's not even breathing hard

chagrin
04-09-2007, 12:46 PM
he's coming

And he's bringing his dreamy white teeth with him

QuikSsurfer
04-09-2007, 12:51 PM
And he's bringing his dreamy white teeth with him
he'll be going top shelf on roberto throughout the series.. should be great fun to watch

morphius
04-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Yup, my team missed by a point, so I guess I'm going to have to root for the Devils. Damn it.

Sully
04-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Although they have choked the past few years... this year they seem to be playing with a little more heart. They've been missing that power forward role that Shanny filled when he was younger and McCarty always seemed to step into during the playoffs, they traded for that guy, in Bertuzzi (I know... he had that shitty move against the Avs a few years back, but he's still a player). Also, their best scorer isn't playing hurt like he was last year. add to that they have a playoff proven Hall of Fame guy in goal, rather than a career backup like last year.
They also have some paybacks toward Calgary... so I don't think they will lose first round this year. I hope I'm not wrong again.

Eleazar
04-09-2007, 12:58 PM
I'll pick the Devils too. Marty is the only guy I used to like when I watched a lot of hockey who is still playing.

Fish
04-09-2007, 01:26 PM

Ohh please... ohh please... ohh please... ohh please... ohh please... ohh please... ohh please... let the wings lose....

Go Avs....err.... uhh.. yeah.....

NJ Chief Fan
04-09-2007, 01:27 PM
LETS GO DEVILS!

Sully
04-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Ohh please... ohh please... ohh please... ohh please... ohh please... ohh please... ohh please... let the wings lose....

Go Avs....err.... uhh.. yeah.....
LOL.
They gave it a noble effort at the end...

Bearcat
04-09-2007, 01:48 PM
It sucks the Avalanche couldn't get a point against Nashville, but all of those bad decisions finally caught up to them.... the upside is they showed you can't keep them down for long.

And if all the higher seeds win in the West, it'll be Forsberg vs. the Red Wings in the second round :D

Sully
04-09-2007, 01:50 PM
The WIngs have owned Nashville all year.

chagrin
04-09-2007, 01:54 PM
It sucks the Avalanche couldn't get a point against Nashville, but all of those bad decisions finally caught up to them.... the upside is they showed you can't keep them down for long.

And if all the higher seeds win in the West, it'll be Forsberg vs. the Red Wings in the second round :D

It started in 1997, Pierre is a crack pot. Yes, they did win again, but they have really just let too many good players go,a nd now they are jsut an average team. Dammit Pierre!! :cuss:

p.s. I am a Mart Brodeur fan, that dude is total class. I do hope he gets another one

chagrin
04-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Although they have choked the past few years... this year they seem to be playing with a little more heart. They've been missing that power forward role that Shanny filled when he was younger and McCarty always seemed to step into during the playoffs, they traded for that guy, in Bertuzzi (I know... he had that shitty move against the Avs a few years back, but he's still a player). Also, their best scorer isn't playing hurt like he was last year. add to that they have a playoff proven Hall of Fame guy in goal, rather than a career backup like last year.
They also have some paybacks toward Calgary... so I don't think they will lose first round this year. I hope I'm not wrong again.

I know, I just had to trash 'em real quick. I won't say anything else until and if they get past round 1. Except yeah, I was not at all shocked to see they hired the king of all thugs - obviously we don't have to debate it and I am not trying to start one.

Sully
04-09-2007, 02:08 PM
I know, I just had to trash 'em real quick. I won't say anything else until and if they get past round 1. Except yeah, I was not at all shocked to see they hired the king of all thugs - obviously we don't have to debate it and I am not trying to start one.
They deserve any "choker" label they get... They have choked the past couple of seasons. As for Bertuzzi, he will ALWAYS be seen as a thug... but since Clause Lemiuex was allowed to play after his cheaper shot on Draper... then Bert has paid his price.

As far as a debate, since I spent most of the season focused on the Pens, I didn't get the chance to follow the Wings as closely, so I don't know that I'd be able to hold up my end, other than to be a homer.

Bearcat
04-09-2007, 02:17 PM
The WIngs have owned Nashville all year.

Hmm... so you have.. 6-2 and won the last 4.

I'm really out of the hockey loop. I got into cbb more than usual this year, and haven't had time to watch much. In previous years I'd watch any game that was on... I miss ESPN's coverage. Hopefully I'll get to see a lot of playoff games.

It started in 1997, Pierre is a crack pot. Yes, they did win again, but they have really just let too many good players go,a nd now they are jsut an average team. Dammit Pierre!! :cuss:

I know there were warning signs a long time ago, where people wondered if we would have any young players left, but I think the decisions in just the last year or two have been worse than anything 5+ years ago. I like the gutsy decisions, but it just got out of hand. Chris Drury is one thing, because he needed to be a captain somewhere... but Aebischer, Tanguay, Turgeon, May, etc; etc.

Frei had a good article on ESPN a few days ago about the transition... they obviously have two of the best young guys in the Western Conference, but are going to have to deal with life after Sakic, their defense, and Theodore.

pr_capone
04-09-2007, 03:47 PM
GO DEVILS!!!!!!!

/devils faithful since 1994 when I first got into hockey

unlurking
04-09-2007, 04:07 PM
The loss of Kronwall's 20+ minutes a game is going to be huge. Lebda has really stepped it up the last couple games, and has rockets for skates. Guy reminds me of Draper in his prime with the goal to goal skating ability.

Also hope Hank comes back SOON. Hope they sit either Lang or Cleary, but I doubt it will be Lang, possibly Samuelson.

unlurking
04-09-2007, 04:10 PM
They deserve any "choker" label they get... They have choked the past couple of seasons. As for Bertuzzi, he will ALWAYS be seen as a thug... but since Clause Lemiuex was allowed to play after his cheaper shot on Draper... then Bert has paid his price.

As far as a debate, since I spent most of the season focused on the Pens, I didn't get the chance to follow the Wings as closely, so I don't know that I'd be able to hold up my end, other than to be a homer.
Last couple of seasons they've been a "finesse" team (hate that stereo-type). Any fore-checking with speed and they'd collapse. This season they've been doing solid physical work along the boards. I am not nearly as worried going into the playoffs as I was the last few years. Iginla and Kipper are the only 2 guys to really worry about on the flames.

Wings in 5

Sully
04-09-2007, 04:18 PM
I think Wings (obviously) but in 6 or even 7.

unlurking
04-09-2007, 04:30 PM
I think Wings (obviously) but in 6 or even 7.
If Kipper is on his game, I could see it going 7. If Hank comes back (healthy and productive), no way it goes more than 6 even with an outstanding performance from Kipper. The scoring lines we have right now are better than they have been in years (when healthy).

Sully
04-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Is there any word on Hank at all? I can't even find much info on the Wings boards.

Floridafan
04-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Henrik has a disc herniation or bulge from what I've read. A lot of swelling and pain.

He needs treatment on the DRX9000.

Go Wings

Fish
04-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Belfour, Peltonen arrested at South Beach bar
April 9, 2007

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- Florida Panthers goalie Ed Belfour was arrested at a popular South Beach bar early Monday after a scuffle with a police officer.

Belfour and teammate Ville Peltonen were at the bar when security guards from the club asked police to make Belfour leave, police said.

The 41-year-old hockey player refused and walked toward the officer "in a fighting stance" and pushed him, a Miami Beach police report said.

Belfour pulled away from the officer trying to arrest him and grabbed his shirt. The hockey player then fell forward on the ground, kicking and refusing to place his hands behind his back, the report said.

Belfour had slurred speech, blood shot eyes and smelled of alcohol, police said. He was charged with disorderly intoxication and resisting an officer without violence.

Peltonen, 33, was charged with criminal mischief after he broke a metal pole off a fire rescue truck parked in the area, a police report said.

Belfour was released later Monday from Miami-Dade County jail on $1,500 bond. Peltonen was released on $500 bond.

"We have been informed about the incident that occurred last night and we are currently in the process of gathering all the information," the Panthers said in a statement. "We have no further comment at this time."

While playing for the Dallas Stars in 2000, Belfour pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of resisting arrest following a scuffle with a security guard at an upscale hotel.

He was sentenced to two years' probation and a $3,000 fine.

ROFL

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-panthers-arrests&prov=ap&type=lgns

Sfeihc
04-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Let's Go Red Wings!

Floridafan
04-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Zetterberg likely to play opener; Bertuzzi's status unknown
April 9, 2007
By GEORGE SIPPLE
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER
The Red Wings will likely have Henrik Zetterberg in the lineup for Thursday’s playoff opener against the Calgary Flames. Todd Bertuzzi, out with a concussion, did not practice today and may not play in Game 1.
“I don’t have any idea,” said Wings coach Mike Babcock when questioned about Bertuzzi’s condition. “I could pretend that I could explain it to you. He’s not ready. They’ll tell me when he is. I don’t know.”
Advertisement

Babcock said he expected Zetterberg, out since Feb. 24 with an inflamed disc, to play. Zetterberg echoed that sentiment, although he said his return depends on how his back responds to the work he put in today.

“Today was the first day I really, you know, do all the things that other guys do,” Zetterberg said. “Starts and stops and a little bit (of) battling. It felt good.

“Got a few more days here before we start, so I’m going to be ready to go.”

unlurking
04-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the info Floridafan, hope Hank really is ready to go.

Regarding Bert...

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/2007/04/babcock-says-that-bertuzzi-will-be.html

Monday, April 9, 2007
Babcock says that Bertuzzi will be ready for Game 1

Although he didn't practice Monday, Todd Bertuzzi (concussion) will play in Game 1 of the opening round against Calgary, Thursday, according to Detroit coach Mike Babcock.

Believe it or not, the Wings are worse than the Chiefs about getting a straight answer!

Calcountry
04-09-2007, 05:43 PM
The playoffs started already? crap.

Sully
04-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Zetterberg likely to play opener; Bertuzzi's status unknown
April 9, 2007
By GEORGE SIPPLE
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER
The Red Wings will likely have Henrik Zetterberg in the lineup for Thursday’s playoff opener against the Calgary Flames. Todd Bertuzzi, out with a concussion, did not practice today and may not play in Game 1.
“I don’t have any idea,” said Wings coach Mike Babcock when questioned about Bertuzzi’s condition. “I could pretend that I could explain it to you. He’s not ready. They’ll tell me when he is. I don’t know.”
Advertisement

Babcock said he expected Zetterberg, out since Feb. 24 with an inflamed disc, to play. Zetterberg echoed that sentiment, although he said his return depends on how his back responds to the work he put in today.

“Today was the first day I really, you know, do all the things that other guys do,” Zetterberg said. “Starts and stops and a little bit (of) battling. It felt good.

“Got a few more days here before we start, so I’m going to be ready to go.”

It'll be interesting to see if they keep him on the same line as Datsyuk. While I'd love to see a Zetterberg/Datsyuk/ Bertuzzi line, it may be smarter to split them up to balance the offense on the lines.

Floridafan
04-09-2007, 06:06 PM
It'll be interesting to see if they keep him on the same line as Datsyuk. While I'd love to see a Zetterberg/Datsyuk/ Bertuzzi line, it may be smarter to split them up to balance the offense on the lines.

OR............leave them on the same line and let them score score score. Either way I'm happier than a pig in poop that the playoffs are starting and we can see some real Red Wing hockey. Although it will be really really strange to not have Stevie Y in the line-up, weird. First time in 21 years Stevie is not in the line-up.

Sully
04-09-2007, 06:19 PM
OR............leave them on the same line and let them score score score. Either way I'm happier than a pig in poop that the playoffs are starting and we can see some real Red Wing hockey. Although it will be really really strange to not have Stevie Y in the line-up, weird. First time in 21 years Stevie is not in the line-up.
You don't think it's easier for the opposing team to match up its best D guys against a lne like that than if they were spread out?
I don't know the answer, and I hope you are right, actually, but I just wonder if that helps the opposition as far as matching up lines.

Floridafan
04-09-2007, 06:28 PM
You don't think it's easier for the opposing team to match up its best D guys against a lne like that than if they were spread out?
I don't know the answer, and I hope you are right, actually, but I just wonder if that helps the opposition as far as matching up lines.

Then doesn't that make it easier for the rest of the Wings to wear down the rest of the team. Although I read where the Flames plan on being very physical with us and try to wear us down. Who knows, I just want us to get past the first round.

McCarty is on the Flames man do I wish he was still a Red Wing. I really miss him and Martin LaPointe. Those two used to ignite a lot of passionate play from the Wings.

Floridafan
04-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Flames want ugly series with Wings
McCarty relishes chance to play former teammates
April 9, 2007
By SCOTT CRUICKSHANK
CALGARY HERALD
CALGARY, Alberta -- When the Red Wings are going well, when they’re in sync, they turn hockey into an elaborate game of keep-away.
They maintain possession of the puck until they’re good and ready to surrender it.

That means the Calgary Flames’ attack plan is predictably two-pronged. Be physical. Be disciplined.

“That’s playoff hockey, right?” says Flames coach Jim Playfair. “Those things are 1 and 1A.”

With the playoffs opening Thursday at Joe Louis Arena, center Craig Conroy refuses to rosey things up. The Flames are not interested in artistic merit.

“We’ll just try to make it an ugly game,” Conroy says unapologetically. “Obviously, they’re one of the best teams in the league.”

Somehow, the Red Wings’ power-play unit was ranked only 21st this season. But the Flames are smart enough to realize that the more times Detroit coach Mike Babcock can send over the boards forwards such as Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Todd Bertuzzi, Robert Lang and Tomas Holmstrom, the riskier it becomes.

“We’re going to have to be physical, get in there, work hard — stay out of the penalty box,” says Conroy. “Obviously, that’s where they can excel. With all that skill — (Nicklas) Lidstrom, (Mathieu) Schneider, and then all those guys in front of them … ”

What the Flames do have on their side is a dash of history. In 2004, the Flames, in six games, prevailed over a Detroit squad that included Steve Yzerman, Brendan Shanahan, Brett Hull, Curtis Joseph — and Darren McCarty.

“We had success in that building a couple years ago,” says Playfair, an assistant coach that memorable spring. “We understand what type of team they are — we’ll be ready for them.”

McCarty, in particular, seems stoked about the opportunity to face his former mates, with whom he collected three Stanley Cups.

“I couldn’t have wrote it any better,” says McCarty, who suited up for Sunday’s regular-season finale in Denver. “I’m excited to be playing those guys. Obviously, the team’s changed a lot since I was there. But I still have a lot of buddies there that I accomplished great things with. Just like anything else, it’s always sweeter when you beat your close friends.”

The king of the grinders snorts when asked if he’d let up against his old chums.

“I showed it last year in the first game we played Detroit (in the regular season),” McCarty says. “I ran (Chris Chelios) through the end boards and he’s a good friend of mine. That’s the way we do it. If you’re not dishing it out … (Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby), they’re not going to let up, either. That’s the competitiveness.”

But that’s not to say McCarty doesn’t fear his pals.

“They’re overly talented,” says McCarty. “We’ve got to keep their chances down, win those tight 2-0, 2-1, 1-0 games. You can’t get into a shootout with them, they’re just too talented for that.”

chiefs4me
04-09-2007, 08:30 PM
he's coming
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Warick/2007-04-06%20-%20Stars%20vs%20Ducks/starsvsducks-50.jpg

:D the best part already happened, no avs....LMAO

Floridafan
04-09-2007, 08:33 PM
HELENE ST. JAMES
Wings' grit should snuff out Flames
April 9, 2007
I don't think this Western Canada playoff series is going to have the same outcome as the last two have for the Red Wings. The Wings are such a different team now than they were a year ago, much less in 2004; they should be able to advance this time.
It isn't just the Dominik Hasek factor that's different. The Wings have, in this second year under Mike Babcock, really been playing the style of hockey he wants, with an emphasis on back-checking and getting tons of shots to the net, which has made them tougher to play against.

Tomas Holmstrom used to be one of the few players who could be relied upon to go to hard places like the front of the net, but recent acquisition Kyle Calder does that, too. The type of goals those guys score -- going into corners to dig out pucks and then rushing to the net -- are what wins playoff games.

What will be important for the Wings is handling how the Flames play in front of Miikka Kiprusoff -- establishing a forecheck is of utmost importance, as is using their quickness to force the Flames into taking penalties.
"They're a chippy team," Nicklas Lidstrom said. "They all play strong defensively. It's tough to get scoring chances on them. They come back real hard, back-check real hard. That's something we just have to battle through."
This Flames team isn't relying on Kiprusoff and defense like they were when they beat Detroit in the 2004 playoffs; these Flames have, in fact, outscored the Wings over 82 games -- and Kiprusoff has kept the goals-against down.
Health, of course, will play a key role in how the series unfolds. There's no way Henrik Zetterberg will be in peak form right away, because even though he has been practicing for a couple of weeks, he hasn't played a game since Feb. 24. However, if his teammates can buy him time, he'll soon be a menace. Todd Bertuzzi is expected to be cleared from a concussion early this week and be ready to play; his size is crucial up front.
This really is a series where the Wings could have used Niklas Kronwall because he's the only open-ice hitter on the team, but he's out six weeks with a fractured sacrum.
The Flames, though, are dealing with their share of banged-up players, too: Elite defenseman Robyn Regehr, whose imposing play has neutralized Pavel Datsyuk in the past, is bothered by a knee injury. He is supposed to be OK for the playoffs, but may not be ready right away. Jeff Friesen, a speedy forward who thrives at this time of year, has a torso injury but should be ready for Game 1.
Former Wing Darren McCarty, who had sports hernia surgery a few months ago, may be ready for the playoffs, but his effectiveness has been greatly reduced.
The Flames field one of the NHL's genuine, high-end power forwards in Jarome Iginla, a man who scores, hits and fights. He, Kristian Huselius and Daymond Langkow each have 30-plus goals. Calgary has a great defense, too, though Regehr, Dion Phaneuf and Roman Hamrlik each have had an inconsistent season, but that holds true for the team as a whole.
It took the Flames until the final weekend of the regular season to secure the eighth spot. Their winning six games in late March helped -- but that streak was book-ended by three-game losing streaks. Beating them four times in a short amount of time will be imposing, but not impossible.
"They've got the goaltending, they've got the big defense, and they've got some forwards that you've really got to pay attention to," Dan Cleary said. "For us, we've just got to get as much pucks and traffic to the net as we can."
The Flames aren't as stacked up front as the Wings, whose depth allows them to roll four lines, each fitted with a scorer. And while Regehr has pounded Datsyuk in the past and may do so again, Regehr can't play effectively against both a Datsyuk-Zetterberg line and a Bertuzzi-Calder-Robert Lang line.
The Wings haven't beaten a team from Western Canada in the playoffs since Vancouver in 2002, losing to Calgary in round two in 2004 and Edmonton in round one last spring. I think the trend ends in 2007.
I see the Wings beating the Flames in five or six games, with the usual caveats about health. Should the Wings exorcise their Western Canada playoff ghosts, they'll establish the sort of swagger a team needs to go deep into the playoffs.

Demonpenz
04-10-2007, 12:51 AM
the same old story for the pens when they had lemueix lang and jagr they will go as far as their D and Goaltending will take them

Otter
04-10-2007, 04:53 AM
At least I don't have to worry about the Flyers getting exited the first round this year. This hockey season is mercifully over for Flyer Fans thank goodness.

chagrin
04-10-2007, 05:21 AM

Says the "true" Stars fan, at least until they get eliminated

Pushead2
04-10-2007, 05:27 AM
Let's go Ducks.....The best part of the Chase of the Cup is that any team has a shot realisticlly, it comes down to the hot goaltender.

Bearcat
04-10-2007, 06:13 AM

Hey, a Mizzou fan...

The Poz
04-10-2007, 06:14 AM
Get ready for a brall. All of those Euro Red Wings can't handle hard hitting playoff hockey. It's gonna get ugly for all of you Detroit fans.

Go Flames Go!

Floridafan
04-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Get ready for a brall. All of those Euro Red Wings can't handle hard hitting playoff hockey. It's gonna get ugly for all of you Detroit fans.

Go Flames Go!

We'll see. Remember goons can be outskated and if the refs call a tight game Power plays will kill you.

GO WINGS

Sully
04-10-2007, 12:46 PM
First off, for Wings fans, looks like Bert is sitting out the first game Thursday... let's hope that doesn't last long.

Secondly, here is the TV schedule for the first round, for those thinking about getting Center Ice...

http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/17462/?tf=NHLArticleWrapper.tpl#1vs8WC

Mr. Kotter
04-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Stanley Cup....who cares about soccer? :rolleyes:

:p

chiefs4me
04-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Says the "true" Stars fan, at least until they get eliminated

so once your team is/if booted from the playoffs you just stop watching, you don't cheer for another team, or want one certain team to win more then the others.....good for you..:rolleyes:

QuikSsurfer
04-10-2007, 11:14 PM
couldn't agree more :)

SoCalBronco
04-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Go Pens.

We need the Flower to rise up in this series and really take the team on his back. I am confident in him, I think he'll outplay Emery.

A bit concerned about how Malkin has disappeared the last couple of weeks but maybe he is a little tired.

Sully
04-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Ottawa up 2-0 halfway through the game against the Pens... and they are flat out skating past, around and through the Pens.

Pens youth must be showing...

Sully
04-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Also...
Good news...
Nashville down, 1-0.

QuikSsurfer
04-11-2007, 08:17 PM
****.. bounced off sydor

QuikSsurfer
04-11-2007, 08:20 PM
GOAL!!!

Sully
04-11-2007, 08:24 PM
LOL
Most grow a playoff beard...
Looks like Hagman has a playoff porn 'stache.

Sully
04-11-2007, 08:25 PM
5 on 3

QuikSsurfer
04-11-2007, 08:33 PM
LOL
Most grow a playoff beard...
Looks like Hagman has a playoff porn 'stache.
looks like hitler

QuikSsurfer
04-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Also...
Good news...
Nashville down, 1-0.
4-4
wish we had shootouts in the playoffs

Sully
04-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Versus has got to find a way to switch to the better game... Nashville vs San Jose is turning into a great game.

Sully
04-11-2007, 08:38 PM
4-4
No way... Remember Pittsburgh Philly from a few years back when it went 5 OTs? Classic game...

QuikSsurfer
04-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Versus has got to find a way to switch to the better game... Nashville vs San Jose is turning into a great game.
what??!!
stars game is 1-1 :rolleyes:

Sully
04-11-2007, 08:58 PM
what??!!
stars game is 1-1 :rolleyes:
In the first period.
I think an OT game is always the better game than a 1-1 game in the first...

QuikSsurfer
04-11-2007, 09:20 PM
great.. truco going to penalty box
awesome check though!

QuikSsurfer
04-11-2007, 09:25 PM
****ing sweet goal.. a beam

Sully
04-11-2007, 09:28 PM
That's pretty nice when the puck has already bounced out of the net before the goalie even moves.

Sully
04-11-2007, 09:34 PM
It's gotta be tough on Dallas. Everytime they claw even, Vancouver goes back ahead.

Conversely, every time Vancouver goes ahead, Dallas ties it.

Interesting...

Sully
04-11-2007, 09:53 PM
San Jose Wins!!!!!

Sully
04-11-2007, 10:15 PM
2 goal lead for Canucks...

Sully
04-11-2007, 10:17 PM
...and immediately Dallas answers.

Sully
04-11-2007, 10:23 PM
...and now ties it up...
Wow.

QuikSsurfer
04-11-2007, 10:42 PM
another OT

Sully
04-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Awesome playoff hockey so far tonight.
Other than Ottawa blowing out Pitt, been a good night.
Good Gawd I hope the Wings aren't in a close game tomorrow night.

Sully
04-11-2007, 11:07 PM
GREAT PK by Dallas after the big hit getting the crowd into it.

HolmeZz
04-12-2007, 12:40 AM
Little under 7 minutes left in the 3rd overtime of the Stars/Canucks game. Been a great game.

HolmeZz
04-12-2007, 12:42 AM
Turco's been brilliant in the overtimes.

Sydd
04-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Someone really needs to win this game so I can go to bed... 4 min left in triple OT right now.

HolmeZz
04-12-2007, 12:50 AM
We're headed to a 4th overtime.

HolmeZz
04-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Shots on Goal
Dallas - 75
Vancouver - 47

HolmeZz
04-12-2007, 01:32 AM
Henrik Sedin scores with 1:54 remaining in the 4th overtime. Canucks win 5-4 and lead the series 1-0. Tough break for Dallas.

SoCalBronco
04-12-2007, 01:36 AM
Poor chiefs4me.

Bearcat
04-12-2007, 05:00 AM
Wish I could have stayed up and watched it...

What?!?! You would rather have the most team-oriented game decided by the equivalent of a home run contest, free throw contest, or field goal contest? There's not much better than OT playoff hockey.... if you want a shootout, go watch All Star weekend :harumph:

Sully
04-12-2007, 08:43 AM
That game was great...

I LOVE playoff hockey.
If it would have been ruined by some gimmicky shootout, it wouldn't have been half the game (literally) it turned out to be.

Bearcat
04-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Poor chiefs4me.

I don't care about Vancouver, but it's good to see another team can step in and do what the Avalanche have been doing the last couple of years :)

Bearcat
04-12-2007, 09:55 AM
130 shots :eek:

Looks like Vancouver just wore them down... they only had 3 shots in the 3rd and 10 in the first 2 OTs combined... but 12 and 12 in the last 2 OTs.

Vancouver might have a Cup or two if they had gotten Luongo a few years earlier...

Sully
04-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Toward the end of the 3rd OT you could see them picking up the energy quite a bit, which was weird because Dallas was outskating them badly in the previous periods, just couldn't get past Luongo.
In that 4th OT you just felt they were going to get something done. (and I was hoping, cause I was tired as hell.)

morphius
04-12-2007, 10:04 AM
I quit right at the end of regulation, I'm sort of glad I did. Though I still loved some of the 5 period OT's I have seen in the past, I'm just too damn tired to do that now.

Sully
04-12-2007, 10:06 AM
I quit right at the end of regulation, I'm sort of glad I did. Though I still loved some of the 5 period OT's I have seen in the past, I'm just too damn tired to do that now.
I was struggling to stay awake... especially during the period breaks.
But I love that intensity and that constant edge of the seat type of feeling during those games. It's unrivaled in any sport.

Sydd
04-12-2007, 10:11 AM
I was struggling to stay awake... especially during the period breaks.
But I love that intensity and that constant edge of the seat type of feeling during those games. It's unrivaled in any sport.

At least OT periods go fast with no commercial breaks, but I was in the same boat trying to stay up.

QuikSsurfer
04-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Wish I could have stayed up and watched it...

What?!?! You would rather have the most team-oriented game decided by the equivalent of a home run contest, free throw contest, or field goal contest? There's not much better than OT playoff hockey.... if you want a shootout, go watch All Star weekend :harumph:
don't get me wrong.. i loves some OT hockey
but 4 OT's?? i'm having a hard time staying awake after the 2nd OT. I'd like to have the first OT period then a shootout (like regular season)...
btw, shootouts are far more exciting than what you give them credit. almost as exciting as a penalty shot :)

hate it that we lost. next game

QuikSsurfer
04-12-2007, 11:45 AM
I don't care about Vancouver, but it's good to see another team can step in and do what the Avalanche have been doing the last couple of years :)
:cuss:

Fish
04-12-2007, 11:48 AM
I'd like to have the first OT period then a shootout (like regular season)...
btw, shootouts are far more exciting than what you give them credit. almost as exciting as a penalty shot :)

:shake:

QuikSsurfer
04-12-2007, 11:50 AM
:shake:
:rolleyes:

morphius
04-12-2007, 11:52 AM
but 4 OT's?? i'm having a hard time staying awake after the 2nd OT. I'd like to have the first OT period then a shootout (like regular season)...

I would never want to see playoff hockey go to a shoot out, multiple OT's like last night were rare, but they are always exciting.

Fish
04-12-2007, 11:58 AM
:rolleyes:

Come on man... SO's suck, and there's a reason they don't exist in the playoffs. A very important reason.

You can't knock a good multiple OT playoff game. It's what the game is about. Which team will tire first? Who can hang on after skating for an hour and a half? Who wants it more?

IMO, there's no better determination of who should win, than the team that can stay tough well past the normal ice time. And not just one guy with a lucky shot to end it, but an entire line playing it out to the end. It's playoff hockey... the way it was meant to be.

Bearcat
04-12-2007, 12:37 PM

I've watched them, and they're exciting.. and I've seen a couple of games that I didn't want to end, so I was even hoping for a shootout. But that's the regular season (even though it's still a gimmick, and I wish they would at least expand the OT in the reg season)... it's not about excitement, it's about earning your goal playing the game, and not with a contest at the end.

Soccer is pathetic like that... you go 90 minutes 0-0, and then have a kicking contest 10 feet from the goal. IMO, it makes the first 90 minutes pointless :shrug:

It could be worse.. you could have traded your starting goalie for Jose Theodore.

unlurking
04-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Maybe I was being overly generous to the Flames predicting the Wings in 5?

4-0 after 2 Detroit.

Pavel has looked absolutely amazing so far, and finally got a playoff goal. Filp got his first and Lids just throws one in as the consummate professional. Schneider has been rather underrated since going to Detroit (and IMO under appreciated by Wings fans). Lang, as expected, giving the puck away on a regular basis.

Good to see Hank out there mixing it up as well. Has shown some flashes of that skill, but looks just a tad rusty (or I am overly expectant of his production). It is good to see him taking some physical punishment and not backing down an inch though.

Bert, as expected, has not really been missed. Yes he gives us a physical presence in the offensive zone, but this Wings team is far from the "wimpy" team from years past. We may have the second oldest player ever in a playoff game, but we also have a lot of talented and hungry youth this year. I love Bowman, but it is nice to see a bunch of young players out there giving their best.

Sfeihc
04-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Wings 4-1, One down, 15 more to go.

Sully
04-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Wow...
Dallas scores 22 seconds into game 2.
I doubt they want to play any bit of an overtime tonight.

QuikSsurfer
04-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Wow...
Dallas scores 22 seconds into game 2.
I doubt they want to play any bit of an overtime tonight.
good shutout by Turco. headed to dallas now

Sully
04-13-2007, 10:01 PM
I was surprised how much energy they played with tonight...

PriestMVP31
04-13-2007, 10:25 PM
great job by the stars, especially Turco, he was out to prove himself tonight and did just that. Great game!

Bearcat
04-14-2007, 09:47 AM
It was impressive... Vancouver just couldn't match Dallas' level of play for more than the 5 minutes late in the 3rd.

Get to see the first of the Sabres tonight (in those godawful uniforms :Lin: )... I'm a big Chris Drury fan, but never see the games (like with Forsberg, unfortunately). There's a pretty good article on Drury in SI this week, even if the winning-at-every-level has been beaten since he won the Cup with the Avalanche.

When the Avalanche have been eliminated in previous years, I've gone to either trying to find a team or two to get behind, or just rooting against Dallas, Detroit, or St. Louis.

This year, there are so many former Avalanche players, I can follow a lot of players while rooting against Dallas and Detroit :) Selanne (even though I hate Chris Pronger and hopes he doesn't get nearly as close to the Cup as he did last year), Tanguay, Drury, Kariya, Forsberg.

Sully
04-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Cheap shotting fugger Tootoo trying to start a fight last night and getting his ass beat...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EvP7WmfQPXw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EvP7WmfQPXw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

QuikSsurfer
04-14-2007, 12:18 PM
classic
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B1VbYRZkqPg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B1VbYRZkqPg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Bearcat
04-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Cheap shotting fugger Tootoo trying to start a fight last night and getting his ass beat...

Sweet... best fight I've seen in a while. Who says there's no fighting in the playoffs, and it's only game two :)

Bearcat
04-14-2007, 12:27 PM
classic

I love everything about that video. I wonder what the ref said before the fight.

Sully
04-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Sweet... best fight I've seen in a while. Who says there's no fighting in the playoffs, and it's only game two :)
When Hartnell and Tootoo are involved, there are going to be fights. Those cheapshotting MFers are going to have everyone taking runs at them if they keep up what they are doing.

Of course, I'm hoping they don't make it past San Jose.

Bearcat
04-14-2007, 12:46 PM
When Hartnell and Tootoo are involved, there are going to be fights. Those cheapshotting MFers are going to have everyone taking runs at them if they keep up what they are doing.

Of course, I'm hoping they don't make it past San Jose.

84 PIM for Nashville to SJ 54, and the coach...

"We came here to play hockey tonight," Nashville coach Barry Trotz said. "We knew it was an important game, and they turn it into a street brawl."

PIM were even before the last minute of the game, and Nashville had already had one game misconduct.

chagrin
04-14-2007, 01:32 PM
From what I saw, Nashville players were behaving like the 2000 STARS, filthy friggin dirty. Playoffs are not the time for shit like that

QuikSsurfer
04-14-2007, 01:35 PM
From what I saw, Nashville players were behaving like the 2000 STARS, filthy friggin dirty. Playoffs are not the time for shit like that
oh i miss Derian Hatcher

chagrin
04-14-2007, 01:38 PM
oh i miss Derian Hatcher

Tell ya what, that was one big, tough SOB - I actually liked him, while I also hated him, heh - I was hoping Colorado picked him up when he went to Detroit, but looking back it's probably better we didn't

chagrin
04-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Anyone watching this Rangers/Predators games? Bodies all over the place, it's pretty good so far

Sully
04-14-2007, 01:41 PM
We are getting Pittsburgh vs Ottawa here.
BTW, I assume you mean Rangers vs Thrashers.

Sully
04-14-2007, 01:41 PM
How's Shanny doing?

chagrin
04-14-2007, 01:43 PM
How's Shanny doing?

He has an early High Stick penalty and he went to the box but other than that he's pretty quiet. So far it's been mostly about Hossa, Avery and Tkachuk (sp?) I didn't realize Slava K plays for NY as well. Quite a roster with Slava, Shanny, Holik, Jagr, Avery, etc

Sully
04-14-2007, 01:50 PM
I really like Avery.
I should hate him, but I just can't help but like the scrappy ****er.

Sully
04-14-2007, 02:04 PM
I was about to mention I was surprised ho wmuch Avery has picked up his offensive game, with a goal today even...

Then I saw the goal...

Ouch.

chagrin
04-14-2007, 02:08 PM
I was about to mention I was surprised ho wmuch Avery has picked up his offensive game, with a goal today even...

Then I saw the goal...

Ouch.

btw - yes I meant thrashers, heh.

He's been getting pounded alot so far.

Side question, what do you think about Di Pietro, he has yet to live up to his potential, is that because he simply isn't as good as he seemed, in college, or has he just not been in the right situation there yet?

Sully
04-14-2007, 02:13 PM
btw - yes I meant thrashers, heh.

He's been getting pounded alot so far.

Side question, what do you think about Di Pietro, he has yet to live up to his potential, is that because he simply isn't as good as he seemed, in college, or has he just not been in the right situation there yet?
Honestly I haven't seen him much.

I will say that goalies are about the slowest developing position in any sport. It seems like all the good ones sat behind someone for a few years before getting any shot. Of course there are exceptions... that's just been my observation. I think about guys like Hasek (behind Belfour in Chicago) Turco (behind Hasek in Buffalo), Miller (sat for a few years in Buffalo)... it just seems many take a bit longer to develop. The fact that DiPietro is signed for life tells me that he's got something that makes them want to be patient with him.

Even when you see a guy like Backstrom step up, it seems like they are out of the league after a few years.

Bearcat
04-14-2007, 03:55 PM
GREAT 3rd period in the Pens/Sens game... I wanted the Penguins to win, which they did, but I was also hoping the Senators would tie it.

SoCalBronco
04-15-2007, 01:26 AM
Ottawa will be facing an unbelievable environment tomorrow at the Igloo.

Lets Go Pens. **** up the Sens.

chagrin
04-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Damn, is Calgary that bad or is Detroit that good. I detest the Wings but holy cow, they are all over Calgary early, they've been camping out in front of Kipprusoff for the first 5 minutes and it's 2-0 with 2 power plays for Detroit so far.

Sully
04-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Calgary absolutely KILLING themselves.
Give up a goal after a defensive zone turnover to the best scorer ont e Wings... then in a 5 on 3 situation... and now right back TO A 5 ON 3 SITUATION...

Sully
04-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Killed off that 5 on 3... and GO ON ANOTHER 5 on 3!!!!

I've never seen a team so undisciplined int he first 5 minutes of a game 2 in the playoffs.

chagrin
04-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Yeah dude, they look horrible - hey there's your guy, Avery heh

chagrin
04-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Dude, hockey players are the most humble individuals and team players of all sports, I love their interviews - it's refreshing

Sully
04-15-2007, 12:09 PM
He wa on "Cribs" a few months ago (could've been more than a year... I dunno) and Elisha Cuthbert was hanging at his house.

Moral of the story?
How bad could he be?

Floridafan
04-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Hey Sully

How bout our Red Wings? Not laying down this year.

chagrin
04-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Hey Sully

How bout our Red Wings? Not laying down this year.

You mean, not laying down in round 1, right?

Bearcat
04-15-2007, 02:40 PM
You mean, not laying down in round 1, right?

:)

I'd really like to see a Detroit/Nashville series... I'm sure Wings fans would, too... but Nashville has been trying to get over that hump for a few years, and I'd get to watch Peter Forsberg.

The Colts beat the Patriots this year, so why not? :D

Demonpenz
04-17-2007, 06:33 PM
penguins 1 and sens 1 2:00 minutes left in the 2nd

Sully
04-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Senators seem to be handling Pittsburgh pretty well.

What the hell has happened with the Rangers, though? They picked the right time to dominate.

Red Wings having a tough time with it in the first game in Calgary. I picked them to lose this one... but my fingers are still crossed.

Demonpenz
04-17-2007, 10:31 PM
penguins will be back. too much talent on their lines

Demonpenz
04-17-2007, 10:31 PM
Dazook can fly. I haven't watch much hockey other than the pens after college

Sully
04-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Datsyuk?

Demonpenz
04-17-2007, 10:43 PM
yeah i bet lang comes up with the goal. He always came up with big ones iwth the pens

Fish
04-19-2007, 08:02 PM
No chatter tonight? Anybody watching the damn Wings tying it up??

Come on now.....

Fish
04-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Wings suck..... Go Flames!

Sully
04-21-2007, 02:33 PM
I don't know if it's that the Wings are that much better at home than away, or if it's Calgary... but this series seems, up to this point, to be all about the home ice.

Sully
04-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Jesus. A fluke injury and the stretcher comes out very early. They didn't waste much time getting it out there.
Hopefully it's not as serious as it looks for Cleary.

Sully
04-21-2007, 02:38 PM
I love Jarome Iginla, even if he's playing for the opposing team.
He's a star and a captain, but he still isn't to good to mix it up with opposing players. A few years back they were trying to make him the face of the league, till Crosby came along. I think he should continue to be...

Sully
04-21-2007, 02:46 PM
And after a shorty by Chelios, a game that seemed to be tight and well played by both tenders has become a 3-0 lead.

Sadly for me, that doesn't mean what it once did in today's NHL.

Sully
04-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Jesus. A fluke injury and the stretcher comes out very early. They didn't waste much time getting it out there.
Hopefully it's not as serious as it looks for Cleary.
Must not've been, he's already out on the ice...

Sully
04-21-2007, 03:42 PM
Wow.
Langkow with a cheap shot.

Watch your back, douche.

Calcountry
04-21-2007, 05:32 PM

Of course, I'm hoping they don't make it past San Jose.Of course, they did NOT make it past San Jose. Sharks in 5!

We beat the Child Predators for the second year in a row.

chiefs4me
04-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Poor chiefs4me.

exactly... it's not enough that my football team teeters on the sucky side, but my hockey team has to join them.....:banghead:

jagerdrinker
04-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Only flames root for the Flames. Go Wings!

Vengeance will be sweet when Lord Stanley's Cup is raised by each of the Red Wings, and Iginla and McKinley are watching on television.

Bearcat
04-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Vancouver has had some big choke jobs the past few years... giving up the Northwest Division to the Avalanche on the last day of the season a few years ago, giving up a 3-1 series lead to the Wild (iirc) a few years ago... and now they get a great goalie, but get shutout 3 of the first 6 games :shake:

exactly... it's not enough that my football team teeters on the sucky side, but my hockey team has to join them.....:banghead:

Reverse mojo? I haven't seen much of this series, but they've looked pretty good... Turco has been awesome, especially considering the pressure to not be the choker of past playoff series, while also having to outplay Luongo every night.

chiefs4me
04-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Vancouver has had some big choke jobs the past few years... giving up the Northwest Division to the Avalanche on the last day of the season a few years ago, giving up a 3-1 series lead to the Wild (iirc) a few years ago... and now they get a great goalie, but get shutout 3 of the first 6 games :shake:

Reverse mojo? I haven't seen much of this series, but they've looked pretty good... Turco has been awesome, especially considering the pressure to not be the choker of past playoff series, while also having to outplay Luongo every night.

lol, call it whatever you want, all I know is they played awesome tonight and we won 2-0...we are going to game 7....PBJ

chagrin
04-21-2007, 09:41 PM
cheer up c4m3 your boy Gordon is about to take Phoenix

chiefs4me
04-21-2007, 09:45 PM
cheer up c4m3 your boy Gordon is about to take Phoenix

and tony's thinking about retiring..lifes good....:D

chagrin
04-21-2007, 09:49 PM
and tony's thinking about retiring..lifes good....:D

I have to be honest, Tony is a crybaby jackoff, I wouldn't miss him.

QuikSsurfer
04-21-2007, 10:24 PM
lol, call it whatever you want, all I know is they played awesome tonight and we won 2-0...we are going to game 7....PBJ
:thumb:
Modano played his best game of the series. Turco was excellent, as he has been.
loved the check #9 put on defenseman Salo in the 2nd... that got me too pumped
game 7!!!

Fish
04-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Anybody watching the Devils Lightning game?

Pretty damn good hockey game.....

chagrin
04-22-2007, 01:05 PM
I am, it's fast and furious, some great fore checking and speed.

I have to say though, i used to like Ray Ferraro alot but now he's annoying the "hully" out of me.

chiefs4me
04-22-2007, 02:49 PM
I have to be honest, Tony is a crybaby jackoff, I wouldn't miss him.

see, we can agree..:D

chiefs4me
04-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Anybody watching the Devils Lightning game?

Pretty damn good hockey game.....

I was, the devils won, they are moving on to round 2...:rolleyes::banghead:

Bearcat
04-22-2007, 10:29 PM
I'd rather root against the Red Wings for another series than watch a game 7 with Calgary. It's one thing to have a goalie that can steal games, but at least with a team like the Devils you get some offense. I don't care if you're playing against Southern Illinois, 15 shots in the first 60 minutes is pathetic... and being outshot 50-18 at one point? :shake:

Having flashbacks of Avalanche/Wild :Lin:

But, at the same time, I don't have to work tomorrow so I don't want to turn it off.

Great quote...

"Four minutes of agony for Craig Conroy."

"If he's lucky."

Sully
04-22-2007, 10:30 PM
This game is driving me to a heart attack.

Sully
04-22-2007, 10:41 PM
GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Demonpenz
04-22-2007, 10:41 PM
you get to the middle of the rink in the slot your chances of scoring are good

Sully
04-22-2007, 10:43 PM
you get to the middle of the rink in the slot your chances of scoring are good
They had so many chances in the 1st OT that I was worried that they would come out flat. Im glad they didn't have the chance (really) to show that. It's gotta be tough, though. I didn't realize Calgary had that altitude.

QuikSsurfer
04-23-2007, 07:41 PM
what a shot!!

QuikSsurfer
04-23-2007, 09:31 PM
wtf
refs are loving this game

CanadaKC
04-23-2007, 09:35 PM
LU-LU-LU-LU-LUONGO!!!!

buh-bye Dallas.... :clap:

CanadaKC
04-23-2007, 09:54 PM
I admit...Dallas put up a great fight...maybe should have won the series...Turco was great...but penalties killed the Stars tonight.

PriestMVP31
04-23-2007, 09:57 PM
bull crap, that was horrible refereeing, they took away a great series here... Dallas deserved to win the series and got screwed the last 10 minutes of the game by the refs.

Good series by Luongo though, a beast for sure. I hate the Sedin brothers though.

unlurking
04-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Saw this at RWC. Made me bust up laughing...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=31135252

chiefs4me
04-24-2007, 10:30 AM
bull crap, that was horrible refereeing, they took away a great series here... Dallas deserved to win the series and got screwed the last 10 minutes of the game by the refs.

Good series by Luongo though, a beast for sure. I hate the Sedin brothers though.

from their very own newspaper....:shake:

It was pretty apparent refs were biased

Tony Gallagher
The Province

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

As the playoffs roll on and occasions arise when Canucks fans might want to consider the officiating bias, they should remember Monday's Game 7.

If there was ever a collection of circumstances which favoured the home team, this was it. The Dallas string of penalties in the second and third periods which turned the tide Vancouver's way was nothing short of astonishing, a remarkable turn of events to people who have watched NHL playoff hockey over the years.

With Dallas nursing a lead as only they can in the second period, they proceeded to take seven of the next eight penalties, some of them infractions that wouldn't have been considered offences in a pee-wee game.

A tap on the arm of Trevor Linden by Stu Barnes that wouldn't have bruised an egg gave Vancouver a two man advantage for 48 seconds in the second period which allowed the Canucks to generate some crowd noise with some great scoring chances, even though they weren't able to convert. But there's no question it lifted Vancouver off the mat.

The penalty to Joel Lundqvist early in the third period which again got the Canucks going was nothing short of amazing. There appeared to be virtually no contact between offender and offended, yet the arm shot up as though there'd been some kind of mugging. Harry Neale on Hockey Night called it "a brutal call" and Tom Larscheid reportedly referred to it as "a phantom call" on the TEAM 1040. What Dallas coach Dave Tippett thought of it wasn't known until afterwards, when there was no point moaning.

"Baffling," was how Tippett described the work of Rob Shick and Greg Devorski. "Why don't they let the players decide it. The five penalties we took in the second period changed the whole complexion of the game, changed the momentum of the game. ... We could never get our legs under us after that."

The penalty that resulted in the winning goal was another of those new NHL mysteries, the most flattering thing that can be said about it being that it's been called all year, albeit sporadically. As Daniel Sedin circled the Dallas net with the puck, Jeff Halpern was chasing him with his stick in one hand, lifting it to the point of contact around the waist but not impeding him in the least. Sedin didn't even notice he was there.

Doubtless these guys would take the Adolph Eichmann defence of "just following orders", but never in the history of the game have the officials been so prominent in determining the outcome of games.

© The Vancouver Province

chagrin
04-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Eh, this is just justice for Brett's in the crease no goal against Buffalo - :p

Bearcat
04-24-2007, 03:27 PM
One day I'm hoping the Red Wings will end their series, and the next day I'm hoping the Stars can choke Vancouver...... The NHL playoffs without the Avalanche has me all screwed up :deevee:

Sully
04-24-2007, 03:29 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7004909622962894202

Sully
04-26-2007, 10:07 AM
So the second round started last night, ad the cream, I believe, will start rising to the top. (that doesn't make sense, but I will explain a little more).
Last night Sabres versus Rangers was just a show of what that series is going to be. The Rangers just don't have the talent to hang with Buffalo (IMO). I think that series will either be a sweep or a Sabres win in 5 (BTW, the Sabres are my pick for the Cup at this point.
Canucks vs Ducks is a little closer, and Vancouver definitely is talented, but I just think that they will be so tired from the Dallas series, that the Ducks are going to roll. They have one of the top Ds in the league, and it seemed they had no problem with offense last night.
I have absolutely no feel for the Devils and the Sens, other than both teams have hot goaltenders.
Sadly, if it were real money, I'd probably bet against my Wings in the Sharks series. The Sharks are tougher and faster than the Wings. The only chance the Wings have is if their vets play a smarter game. Holmstrom is out for the Wings in game 1, and Zett is having back issues. Obviously I hope I'm wrong, and Hasek can steal a series pretty easily, but I just don't feel great about this one. We'll see.

chagrin
04-26-2007, 10:27 AM
One day I'm hoping the Red Wings will end their series, and the next day I'm hoping the Stars can choke Vancouver...... The NHL playoffs without the Avalanche has me all screwed up :deevee:

Amen brother, but with Pierre's goawd awful moves over the pasy 4 seasons, what else can we expect?

chagrin
04-26-2007, 10:29 AM
So the second round started last night, ad the cream, I believe, will start rising to the top. (that doesn't make sense, but I will explain a little more).
Last night Sabres versus Rangers was just a show of what that series is going to be. The Rangers just don't have the talent to hang with Buffalo (IMO). I think that series will either be a sweep or a Sabres win in 5 (BTW, the Sabres are my pick for the Cup at this point.
Canucks vs Ducks is a little closer, and Vancouver definitely is talented, but I just think that they will be so tired from the Dallas series, that the Ducks are going to roll. They have one of the top Ds in the league, and it seemed they had no problem with offense last night.
I have absolutely no feel for the Devils and the Sens, other than both teams have hot goaltenders.
Sadly, if it were real money, I'd probably bet against my Wings in the Sharks series. The Sharks are tougher and faster than the Wings. The only chance the Wings have is if their vets play a smarter game. Holmstrom is out for the Wings in game 1, and Zett is having back issues. Obviously I hope I'm wrong, and Hasek can steal a series pretty easily, but I just don't feel great about this one. We'll see.

I would like to see NY beat Buffalo as IMO The Rangers are the more talented team, maybe not as fast though.

Sully
04-26-2007, 04:27 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hdf4GeT4ELA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hdf4GeT4ELA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I didn't remember if I had posted this video before, but a search yielded nothing, and it's pretty funny, so I thought I'd throw it up (again, if that's the case).

Fish
04-26-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm rooting for Ottawa from here on out.... but I just wanna see good games...

Some great ones so far...

morphius
04-26-2007, 05:29 PM
I had to root against the Stars, so the ending of that game was fun to watch.

Fish
04-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Teehee.... Sharks 1-0......

Fish
04-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Teehee.... Sharks <strike>1</strike> 2-0......

:eek:

dr00d
04-26-2007, 05:59 PM
I'm still too disappointed and feeling abused from the Pittsburg bullshit to talk about hockey right now :(

Fish
04-26-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm still too disappointed and feeling abused from the Pittsburg bullshit to talk about hockey right now :(

Feewing abused??? Ahh....

http://www.simpss.si/simpss/images/ts_wetwipe.jpg

wipe out the sand and enjoy some hockey...

Bearcat
04-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Damn.

Sully
04-28-2007, 04:10 PM
Damn.
They wilol still make you happy and lose the series. I believe it.

Bearcat
04-28-2007, 04:12 PM
They wilol still make you happy and lose the series. I believe it.

Yay!

Bearcat
04-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Great games lately... Detroit's late goal... two goals in the final 30 seconds of periods in the Sens/Devils game, and one that was scored with .3 seconds left. Buffalo and NYR in OT after Buffalo's late goal.

:drool:

chiefs4me
04-29-2007, 10:07 PM
I had to root against the Stars, so the ending of that game was fun to watch.

Fish
04-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Wow.... no comments on the game tonight? Been a great game so far....

Sully
04-30-2007, 10:25 PM
It hasn't been a great game, IMO.
It's been 2 teams playing badly, which has kept the score close. The WIngs have played pretty poorly, especially in the 3rd period, and the Sharks haven'tbeen much better.

Bearcat
05-01-2007, 05:47 AM
When I get home, I need to look around youtube for Marty's save in the 3rd, right after the bad goal... I never saw a replay of it on Versus, because they suck like that :banghead:

chagrin
05-01-2007, 06:44 AM
Great games lately... Detroit's late goal... two goals in the final 30 seconds of periods in the Sens/Devils game, and one that was scored with .3 seconds left. Buffalo and NYR in OT after Buffalo's late goal.

:drool:

I tried to comment on the Games Sunday but was having Internet issues. That Buffalo/NY game was wicked, I enjoyed the heck out of it.

I also enjoyed "hully" getting shut down in the intermssion, pretty hilarious.

Fish
05-01-2007, 08:10 AM
I also enjoyed "hully" getting shut down in the intermssion, pretty hilarious.

Whaaa?? I totally missed that.... can somebody please elaborate?

chagrin
05-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Whaaa?? I totally missed that.... can somebody please elaborate?

Well he was sitting there being his usuall arrogant ass self, and they were talking about the differewnce between the beginning of the season and the playoffs being the same, I wish I could remember exactly - then Ray used some precise wording and it made Brett look bad. Brett makes this face, very unprofessional, basically he knew he got owned.

Then Clement moved the subject to the Goal that was negated by Instant Replay. Clement thought it should have gone through, Brett said something to the effect of "well you get what you deserve" so Clement comes back with "What did they deserve in the 99-00 finals?" Pretty funny, Brett was silenced, then they went to commercial.

I don't know, I thought it was funny.

Fish
05-01-2007, 08:59 AM
Well he was sitting there being his usuall arrogant ass self, and they were talking about the differewnce between the beginning of the season and the playoffs being the same, I wish I could remember exactly - then Ray used some precise wording and it made Brett look bad. Brett makes this face, very unprofessional, basically he knew he got owned.

Then Clement moved the subject to the Goal that was negated by Instant Replay. Clement thought it should have gone through, Brett said something to the effect of "well you get what you deserve" so Clement comes back with "What did they deserve in the 99-00 finals?" Pretty funny, Brett was silenced, then they went to commercial.

I don't know, I thought it was funny.

Haha.... thanks... completely missed that...

I hate that jackass.....

Bearcat
05-01-2007, 09:02 AM

LMAO LMAO LMAO

That's worse than the abuse Kornheiser takes on MNF.

Fish
05-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Ahh ha.... Anybody watching this game? It's getting ugly......

Sully
05-02-2007, 09:01 PM
It's been ugly. The WIngs are done.

Sully
05-02-2007, 09:37 PM
The WIngs are the late 90s, early 00s Blues...

Sully
05-02-2007, 09:41 PM
If that goal stands... wow!

edit: Not even close to a high stick.
The coordination of these guys on those redirects is amazing.

Sydd
05-02-2007, 09:59 PM
If that goal stands... wow!

edit: Not even close to a high stick.
The coordination of these guys on those redirects is amazing.

Thats what I thought when I first saw it, hight stick, but the replay showed an amazing play by Holmstrom that was nowhere near a high stick.

Sully
05-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Wow, Wow, Wow!
****ing Wow!

Bearcat
05-02-2007, 10:37 PM
I can't stay up for OT!!! :cuss:

Sully
05-02-2007, 10:38 PM
I can't stay up for OT!!! :cuss:
Fight through it, Nancy.

Sydd
05-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Wow... Wings got the momentum going into OT!

Sully
05-02-2007, 11:19 PM
GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sully
05-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Holy crap.
I never saw the game unfolding this way.
I was looking at being down 3-1 and looking for a miracle... Now the series is 2-2 and the Wings get home ice advantage back!

Playoff hockey!!!!

Fish
05-02-2007, 11:21 PM
WOW!!!!! What a game......

Fish
05-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Aaaaaaand I'm spent.................

Sydd
05-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Damn, I love OT in the playoffs. That was an incredible comeback.

Sully
05-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Ah, nice.

Sully
05-03-2007, 12:33 AM
I don't think the Sharks fans "get" the whole octopus thing with the Wings. Doesn't make much sense to throw a dead mascot on the ice, the actual animal that your team is named for... but in a happy coincidence, it turned into a great metaphor.

Sully
05-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Smell it, you bastard...
You kiss it and then you smell it!!!!!!!!

Mojo Rising
05-03-2007, 12:58 AM
That goal with thirty some seconds before the game ended with a pulled goalie was clutch. As the playoffs progress the Sharks seem to get less clutch.

That short handed goal (was it game 2) also was a key to this series.

Ever since I got HD I have watched a lot of hockey. Much better alternative than basketball.

I think it is the Ducks year though. We'll see.

jagerdrinker
05-03-2007, 05:50 AM
Excellent...that game last night was worth all the times I stayed up and the Wings lost. Absolute magic. I've been cursing Schneider's name a lot this series, but he rifled that shot. Wings in 6.

Pushead2
05-03-2007, 07:20 AM
I think it is the Ducks year though. We'll see.

Couldn't agree with you more :) I hope so atleaast , the Ducks are looking like the Ducks in the beginning of the year......We're getting solid play from Jiggy and all of our lines are getting it done. We went against 2 of the top 5 goalies and we have been doing well. We've played sloppy the last two games but we still pulled it out.

Detriot is a good puck posession team but they are on the older side, so San Jose is trying to be physical but they aren't clutch. To be honest they have a young Defense that Detriot keeps exploiting. The Ducks are 5 - 2 - 1 against San Jose , And we split with Detriot 2 -2. We'll see!

Floridafan
05-03-2007, 07:42 AM
Sully......

PICTURE WITH CAPTION = CLASSIC ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

GO WINGS

Bearcat
05-03-2007, 11:06 AM
GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On one hand I guess I could have stayed up another 30 minutes... OTOH, I knew it would end badly.

Fish
05-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Slow game... but the Canucks just tied it up.... might get interesting....

Sully
05-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Yeah. I like both of these teams, but I am suprised the Ducks haven't dominated more.

I guess it is the Pronger effect.

Fish
05-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Looks to go in to OT.... hope it's not another all nighter... I can't take 2 in a row....

Sully
05-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Waddya mean 2 in a row? You went to bed earl last night?

Fish
05-03-2007, 09:36 PM
I mean I was up late last night watching OT hockey... I hope this game doesn't go till past midnight as well...

morphius
05-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Wow, having to start with your backup goalie in OT. Just wow.

Fish
05-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Some pushing in the trenches... now a power play... could get interesting....

Sully
05-03-2007, 10:10 PM
This has been a pretty fun OT to watch.

Fish
05-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Wow... this is getting crazy....

Fish
05-03-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm tellin ya.... 2OT.... it's giong to be another late hockey night....

CanadaKC
05-03-2007, 10:30 PM
kepp f*cking doubting Roberto Luongo.... :clap:

Fish
05-03-2007, 10:33 PM

Luuuuuuuongo!

#1!

CanadaKC
05-03-2007, 10:35 PM
The guys is a beast...almost 60 fricking shots? And how many overtimes has he played in the Dallas series and this series? He's virtually willing his team to win.

Fish
05-03-2007, 10:38 PM
56 saves.... for Luongo..

compared to 26 for Giguere....

Fish
05-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Dohhh..... Ducks win!!!

Fish
05-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Damn Ducks.... advancing again.....

Sully
05-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Now the Ducks get to rest and watch the Wings and Sharks battle for at least 2 more games.

Early favorite to make it to the finals.

Pushead2
05-04-2007, 06:12 AM
GO DUCKS!!!! Now we wait and see, Detriot and San Jose best series of the playoffs right now in terms of action. But buffalo and NY have the uper hand overall. I'm going to the Western Conf. Games in Anaheim.

Bearcat
05-04-2007, 03:35 PM
56 saves.... for Luongo..

compared to 26 for Giguere....

I don't know if they did it in the regular season, but I had no idea Vancouver would have to rely on Luongo so much. I thought they would be really dangerous..... but 21 goals in 12 playoff games? Actually, that's 9 goals in 2 games, and 12 goals in 10 games. Powerplay at one point was 3/50.

That's just bad hockey, even while playing two of the better defenses in the league.

chiefs4me
05-04-2007, 06:25 PM

don't worry, I will...:evil:

Bearcat
05-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Chris freakin' Drury!!!!!!

No one ever doubts him :D

(I don't think anyone has ever doubted Roberto Luongo either...) :shrug:

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/hockey/nhl/04/10/chris.drury0416/p1_drury1.jpg

Sully
05-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Game On!

Sully
05-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Best game of the playoffs for the Wings.

I wonder if they have woken up now? Seem to have figured out, for the first time since 2002, that they are marked, and everyone is gunning hard for them.It would seem this is common sense in the playoffs, but even in today's game they came out flat and lazy.... but soon picked it back up.

I hope they don't let down in game 6... I'd like them to get another win in the tank.

Sully
05-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Octopi all over the ice!!
Sobotka is working overtime!

chagrin
05-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Chris freakin' Drury!!!!!!

No one ever doubts him :D

(I don't think anyone has ever doubted Roberto Luongo either...) :shrug:

Another brilliant move by Pierre LaCroix

bastard

chagrin
05-06-2007, 10:13 AM
So when's the first puck drop today?

Bearcat
05-06-2007, 11:10 AM
It's 1:00 central on NBC.

I'm surprised they didn't fire Brett Hull between intermissions yesterday... what a prick! He was seriously disgusted with Nabokov and would not... let...it....go..... It wasn't a lighthearted "that's why he's a goalie". He might have well just come out and said "F***ing goalie" on national tv.

chagrin
05-06-2007, 11:22 AM
It's 1:00 central on NBC.

I'm surprised they didn't fire Brett Hull between intermissions yesterday... what a prick! He was seriously disgusted with Nabokov and would not... let...it....go..... It wasn't a lighthearted "that's why he's a goalie". He might have well just come out and said "F***ing goalie" on national tv.

Excellent player, would never have one a cup if he didn't hitch on to Detroit's Wagon, oh yeah and how can you forget his bullshit goal against Buffalo....he's a tard

Bearcat
05-06-2007, 01:31 PM
"It doesn't matter if they get outshot 40-0, as long as they win."
-- Brett Hull

SoCalBronco
05-06-2007, 02:00 PM
"It doesn't matter if they get outshot 40-0, as long as they win."
-- Brett Hull

Haha.

I remember earlier this year, Hull was making a couple of points, he said "firstly....and then Secondofly".

Bearcat
05-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Great series. I was on the fine line between wanting the Sabres to win the series, but also wanting a Game 7. No way it would have been this exciting though.

Hopefully the Sharks can come back and force one...

Bearcat
05-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Let's make Game 7 happen! :)

Pushead2
05-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Time for a Wings & Ducks final....I think Fried Wings are alot better then cooked Duck don't you guys think?? :) , good luck to both teams!! It's going to come down to who can win on the road. We split the season and both wins were at home for both. Friday it begins!