PDA

View Full Version : Went Elk Hunting last weekend...

Gonzo
04-09-2007, 08:30 PM
So, I was finally drawn for a special Elk hunt in eastern Wyoming last weekend. Stayed in a great Cabin and had a wonderful time.
The Hunt lasted for two days, (one for spotting and one for hunting) until I finally spotted the one I wanted. Unfortunately, I only had a cow tag (female Elk for you non-hunters) but it was my first Elk and I'm damn proud of it!
She was estimated at 11 years old and weighed in at 780 lbs. Shot her with a Browning, 300 Winchester Magnum from 195 yds.

(FYI: It was on private land and the bulls were kept out so none of the cows were carrying calves).
The landscape was gorgeous, 5,000 acres of rough terrain. Tough walking but was well worth it. We probably walked about 7-8 miles non-stop.

The next morning I went out on the front porch and watched a 17 point Bull watch me drink a cup of coffee at about 120 yds.

Pics to follow:

Gonzo
04-09-2007, 08:31 PM
The Cabin (and my truck) :

Gonzo
04-09-2007, 08:32 PM
My Elk, (and myself of course) :

Chiefnj2
04-09-2007, 08:38 PM
There is an elk season in late March/early April?? Or, when you say private - you mean like game preserve?

Gonzo
04-09-2007, 08:45 PM
There is an elk season in late March/early April?? Or, when you say private - you mean like game preserve?

The season is through the Game and Parks department, but for landowners only that have been approved. In other words, Wild Elk in an enclosed enviroment. No more that nine elk per 3,000 acres. The gentelman who owned this property fenced in his land about 5 yrs. ago and has not had to "trap" any elk since. The sucess rate is around 30% but he only allows one Elk to be taken in this season from each section of land, (Three sections total).
I paid for the lodging from a friend of mine and only had to pay for the license.

It's not like those preserves in Texas where the deer or whatever come up to you expecting food and you throw a round in it's head, (thank god).

Athis
04-09-2007, 08:57 PM
I went to Jackson about 11 years ago in January. Worst snow storm ever. Closed down Yellowstone for a few days. After we able to get in, we snow mobiled around Yellowstone, an all day thing. We took a break near some hot springs and I look down in a bunch of brush and there was a cow and her calf. Needless to say we got the hell out of there. That cow was bigger than the one one got. I would do that trip in a heartbeat. Beautiful country...

ISUJeff
04-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Me gusta elk hunt

Donger
04-09-2007, 09:49 PM
I'm not one for hunting, but after spending a few nights up at Estes, I'm perfectly fine with eliminating the entire species.

NewChief
04-09-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm not one for hunting, but after spending a few nights up at Estes, I'm perfectly fine with eliminating the entire species.

ROFL

No doubt. I'll never forget the charm of seeing my first few elk in Colorado, then how quickly that charm wore thin after watching the elk walking all over the golf course, through the middle of downtown, and hanging out on the porches of condominiums in Estes. They're like giant squirrels there.

Donger
04-09-2007, 09:56 PM
ROFL

No doubt. I'll never forget the charm of seeing my first few elk in Colorado, then how quickly that charm wore thin after watching the elk walking all over the golf course, through the middle of downtown, and hanging out on the porches of condominiums in Estes. They're like giant squirrels there.

The best quote of that little excursion?

From my wife at 3 am: "Oh my God! Just find her and f*ck her already!!"

boogblaster
04-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Nice cow there're better eating anyway ....

ChiefsCountry
04-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Glad you had a good hunt, I want to go elk hunting sometime.

Halfcan
04-10-2007, 12:10 AM
I don't see the sport in killing a beautiful animal like that. At least with deer you are helping to control the population. Elk are incredible in person-I could never shoot one.

ChiefsCountry
04-10-2007, 12:16 AM
I don't see the sport in killing a beautiful animal like that. At least with deer you are helping to control the population. Elk are incredible in person-I could never shoot one.

In Colorado, elk are a pain in the a$$ like deer are here in Missouri.

Halfcan
04-10-2007, 12:29 AM
I would rather watch it walk around my property then shoot it.

Gonzo
04-10-2007, 07:17 AM
I would rather watch it walk around my property then shoot it.

Your non a hippie are you Halfcan?
NTTAWWT

Iowanian
04-10-2007, 10:24 AM
don't worry gonzo...."halfcan" is an old Indian word for "shitty hunter"

bogie
04-10-2007, 10:43 AM

ROFL

Monty
04-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Very nice. Were you near Lusk? It's hard to tell from the pics, but that's where I'd guess. My first elk was taken in Wyoming as well, but further west. Congrats! :toast:

I'd love to get back up there and do some more hunting, but the out of state fees are pretty steep. Do you live in Wyoming? I grew up in Gillette and Riverton....just wondering. :)

Gonzo
04-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Very nice. Were you near Lusk? It's hard to tell from the pics, but that's where I'd guess. My first elk was taken in Wyoming as well, but further west. Congrats! :toast:

I'd love to get back up there and do some more hunting, but the out of state fees are pretty steep. Do you live in Wyoming? I grew up in Gillette and Riverton....just wondering. :)

Nope, Live in Omaha. Got the Elk near Hawk Springs.

Thanks, BTW!

Monty
04-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Nope, Live in Omaha. Got the Elk near Hawk Springs.

Thanks, BTW!

Hawk Springs? There's like, what......3 streets in that town? Anywho....good stuff. :)

El Jefe
04-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Nice cow that is a bigun. I like how happy you look in your picture, on a side note LOL.

Rooster
04-10-2007, 12:55 PM
The Cabin (and my truck) :

That picture looks like it should be in a magazine for a Ford ad.

Congrats on the hunt.

Halfcan
04-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Your non a hippie are you Halfcan?
NTTAWWT

nope that was before my time. But I would rather look at nature than blast it with a gun.

Gonzo
04-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Nice cow that is a bigun. I like how happy you look in your picture, on a side note LOL.

Yeah, but notice the Chiefs hat!

(Yeah I do look pissy, man I was exhausted.)

Scaga
04-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Me gusta elk hunt

What???
Does nobody listen to Bob and Tom anymore...

"Yes, I like Elk Hunt very much" ROFL

Halfcan
04-10-2007, 02:03 PM

Actually been shooting .22's since I was 8 or so and I am an excellent shot. If I needed to hunt for food, I am sure I would never go hungry.

But I am not going to kill something I wont eat just for the sport of cutting its head off and hanging it on the wall. I would rather encourage wild life to live on my property so I could enjoy watching it.

Iowanian
04-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Get back to me after you load a 180lb doe onto the hood of your Geo Metro at 70mph.

HemiEd
04-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Get back to me after you load a 180lb doe onto the hood of your Geo Metro at 70mph.

Hitting a deer in the ass, at 65, cured me of those idealistic thoughts a few years ago. **** Bambi!

ISUJeff
04-10-2007, 03:11 PM
What???
Does nobody listen to Bob and Tom anymore...

"Yes, I like Elk Hunt very much" ROFL

Thank you, thought no one else was gonna catch my obscure reference to Mouse Hunt's sequel.

El Jefe
04-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Gonzo "(man I do look pissy, man I was exhausted.)" Yeah I would be too if I went 7-8 miles lol.

Stewie
04-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Nice get, Gonzo.

Let me know how the meat tastes. I've eaten elk once and... well... it was bad. A good friend got one in western Colorado a few years back. He's a seasoned hunter and knows how field dress. Anyway, it was really gamy. The only way I could eat it was in chili and that wasn't quite enough spice.

Gonzo
04-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Actually been shooting .22's since I was 8 or so and I am an excellent shot. If I needed to hunt for food, I am sure I would never go hungry.

But I am not going to kill something I wont eat just for the sport of cutting its head off and hanging it on the wall. I would rather encourage wild life to live on my property so I could enjoy watching it.

I have 250lbs of meat in my freezer right now. Plan on eating/sharing it.
Nothing goes to waste on the game I shoot.
The hide is being made into a rug.

I only shoot what I intend on useing, I am definitely the most ethical hunter I know.

NewChief
04-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Actually been shooting .22's since I was 8 or so and I am an excellent shot.

Welcome to the board, Mr. Romney!

(sorry for the DC content, it's just a joke)

Gonzo
04-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Nice get, Gonzo.

Let me know how the meat tastes. I've eaten elk once and... well... it was bad. A good friend got one in western Colorado a few years back. He's a seasoned hunter and knows how field dress. Anyway, it was really gamy. The only way I could eat it was in chili and that wasn't quite enough spice.

The Meat is great. You likely had an Elk that was at least as old as mine and probably ate nothing but sage grass.

That just ruins the meat.

I had Elk tenderloin for dinner last night with roasted Po-ta-toes and Grilled Port. Shrooms.

That's some good stuff.

Halfcan
04-10-2007, 05:45 PM

I only shoot what I intend on useing, I am definitely the most ethical hunter I know.

Thats the way to do it. Unfortunately, a lot of idiots just drive by and shoot elk and deer and leave them to die.

Gonzo
04-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Thats the way to do it. Unfortunately, a lot of idiots just drive by and shoot elk and deer and leave them to die.

Yeah, I know. It's sad.
These fuggers deserve to be shot and left to die as well.

Halfcan
04-10-2007, 06:00 PM
I used to love to hunt-but have no way to keep the meat. So now I use a camera to shoot.

The deer chasers you put on the front of your car really work. They are small and cheap and will keep them out of your path-they work on elk and moose too.

Bwana
04-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Sweet Gonzo! Next time try Montana, but hit the tread before you show up because we have some bad ass mountains to climb. ;)

Well done...........

Gonzo
04-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Sweet Gonzo! Next time try Montana, but hit the tread before you show up because we have some bad ass mountains to climb. ;)

Well done...........

Thanks Bwana!
I looked into a Montana hunt. Non-resident is pretty affordable. I might consider that.
Are you willing to put me up a few nights? :)

Bwana
04-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks Bwana!
I looked into a Montana hunt. Non-resident is pretty affordable. I might consider that.
Are you willing to put me up a few nights? :)

Hell, I might just go with you for a few days and smack one myself.

Gonzo
04-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Hell, I might just go with you for a few days and smack one myself.

Hell, I'm in, best hunt I've been on in a long time.

Going for Turkey this weekend. You do any of that?

Bwana
04-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Hell, I'm in, best hunt I've been on in a long time.

Going for Turkey this weekend. You do any of that?

Turkey running all over the place. I have some good friends with them running around. I can go at the drop of a dime.

KCChiefsMan
04-10-2007, 10:41 PM
sometimes I wish I had a license to go people hunting......wouldn't that be the day

Bwana
04-11-2007, 06:48 AM
sometimes I wish I had a license to go people hunting......wouldn't that be the day

You don't need one...........

1adam1238
04-11-2007, 07:02 AM
We have lots of elk in northern Nevada. In my opinion, Elk steaks and jerky are fabulous.

HemiEd
04-11-2007, 02:52 PM
I know Elks are big and all, but did any of you see this wild hog recently shot outside of Great Bend, Kansas? It was over 1100 pounds. :eek:

Gonzo
04-11-2007, 02:59 PM
I know Elks are big and all, but did any of you see this wild hog recently shot outside of Great Bend, Kansas? It was over 1100 pounds. :eek:

Holy frozen owl sh!t Batman!!! :eek:

Where I hunt them in Texas one was shot that was over 1,000 as well.

crazycoffey
04-11-2007, 03:02 PM
The Meat is great. You likely had an Elk that was at least as old as mine and probably ate nothing but sage grass.

That just ruins the meat.

I had Elk tenderloin for dinner last night with roasted Po-ta-toes and Grilled Port. Shrooms.

That's some good stuff.

Nice Elk and pics, thanks for sharing!
Oh, and I await an invite to the cookout.

HemiEd
04-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Holy frozen owl sh!t Batman!!! :eek:

Where I hunt them in Texas one was shot that was over 1,000 as well.

I had no idea, lived in Kansas more than 40 years and never have seen one. They said they usually reach a max of 400lbs.

Here is the story that came with the picture, names have been removed to protect the innocent.

REALLY BIG HOG

The guy in the pictures is *****. He lives in Great Bend, Kansas. He has

20 acres of land and on it, a few cows and horses. Mostly it's pasture land

that is fenced with woods surrounding him. He is neighbored by a larger

cattle ranch. His neighbor has complained for several years that wild

hogs had been raiding his cattle feeders and salt licks. Last month he saw

what he thought was a cow in his pond and went to see if it was stuck in the

mud and would have to be pulled out. When he got close enough to realize it

was a hog, the thing made a charge at him. He had driven his truck down to

the pond and carries a pistol in it He got his handgun and when it came at

him again, he shot it twice and killed it. Wild hogs in Kansas usually run

from 100-400 pounds with a 400 pounder being a monster.

Because this one had been feasting on grain for several years it had grown to mammoth size.

When **** took it to the processor it weighed in at over 1100 pounds! The meat has no wild taste, as it was grain fed; and Larry is quite the hero. He has fed the local fireman a barbecue feast and provided the homeless shelter with a couple of meals from just this one HOG.

Radar Chief
04-11-2007, 03:21 PM

Holy bacon back, Batman! That’s fook’n huge!
I’ve heard of “hogzilla” but had no idea anything like that was roam’n Kansas.

http://www.minifarmhomestead.com/images/hogzilla.jpg

HemiEd
04-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Holly bacon back, Batman! That’s fook’n huge!
I’ve heard of “hogzilla” but had no idea anything like that was roam’n Kansas.

Is your picture of the same hog Radar? Can you imagine the fear in the poor guy once that thing started after him?
You are taking a leasurely walk down to your own pond, chewing on a piece of straw, then holy crap.
I would have probably tripped or something before getting to the gun.

Radar Chief
04-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Is your picture of the same hog Radar? Can you imagine the fear in the poor guy once that thing started after him?
You are taking a leasurely walk down to your own pond, chewing on a piece of straw, then holy crap.
I would have probably tripped or something before getting to the gun.

No, that’s “Hogzilla”. He was a feral hog shot in Alabama, IIRC.
Google hogzilla and you’ll come up with lots of information on’im. Though from the sounds of it he wasn’t any bigger than the one you posted.
I'm amazed that was in Kansas.

Gonzo
03-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Dropped a nice one a few weeks ago, (750 lbs). Waiting for the digital pictures but here's a pretty cool scanned image my dad took right before I dropped her.

I shot her at 200 yds. with my B.A.R. 300 Winchester Mag.

(Check out the hat btw) :)

JOhn
03-24-2009, 07:45 PM
:thumb:

Sweet.

Got my first Elk about 10 years ago, after I moved here. Shot a cow also, but was a pretty cool thing as I got to hunt less than 3 miles from my house. Was able to use my 4 wheeler to get into the area, though had to borrow a a couple of horses to pack the elk out.

Gonzo
03-24-2009, 07:59 PM
:thumb:

Sweet.

Got my first Elk about 10 years ago, after I moved here. Shot a cow also, but was a pretty cool thing as I got to hunt less than 3 miles from my house. Was able to use my 4 wheeler to get into the area, though had to borrow a a couple of horses to pack the elk out.

Luckily I was able to get her on a flat area so we were able to drive within a few hundred yards. My dad shot one a few years back only 800 yards away from the truck. Unfortunately, it was 800 yards below the truck.

JOhn
03-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Luckily I was able to get her on a flat area so we were able to drive within a few hundred yards. My dad shot one a few years back only 800 yards away from the truck. Unfortunately, it was 800 yards below the truck.

ROFL

Yea kinda what happened to me. Shot the elk at about 200 yards, and she ended up about 100 yards away..... on the next ridge. :doh!:

DaKCMan AP
03-24-2009, 08:29 PM

That's good. I don't comprehend hunting purely for sport.

Gonzo
03-25-2009, 07:49 AM

Nor do I.

I ran into a guy a few years back out deer hunting, he shot a doe and a small buck. I asked him if he was just out for the meat. His reply was, "I can't stand venison, I just come out for the sport."

I asked him what he did with the meat and he told me that he drops it off to whomever wants it, (unbutchered mind you).

I told him to get the deer tagged and then drop it off to game and parks. They would butcher it and feed homeless or poverty stricken ppl.

What a douche.

beach tribe
03-25-2009, 08:18 AM
nope that was before my time. But I would rather look at nature than blast it with a gun.

I'll bet you don't even own a gun.

beach tribe
03-25-2009, 08:20 AM

Somebody messed with your sig. They put a buch of queers in it.:D

J/K BTW, I love Journey.

Lumpy
03-25-2009, 09:07 AM
Elk... yum!! :thumb: