PDA

View Full Version : Racial slur on sofa label stuns family

Hammock Parties
04-11-2007, 01:51 AM
LMAO

http://www.thestar.com/article/200265

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9139/2102593tp4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

When the new chocolate-coloured sofa set was delivered to her Brampton home, Doris Moore was stunned to see packing labels describing the shade as "******-brown."

She and husband Douglas purchased a sofa, loveseat and chair in dark brown leather last week from Vanaik Furniture and Mattress store on Dundas St. E.

Moore, 30, who describes herself as an African-American born and raised in New York, said it was her 7-year-old daughter who pointed out the label just after delivery men from the Mississauga furniture store left.

"She's very curious and she started reading the labels," Moore explained. "She said, `Mommy, what is nig ... ger brown?' I went over and just couldn't believe my eyes."

She said yesterday each piece had a similar label affixed to the woven protective covering wrapped around the furniture.

"In this day and age, that's totally unacceptable," Moore said.

Douglas explained the origins of the word to daughter Olivia, telling how it was a bad name that blacks were called during the days of slavery in the United States.

"It was tough, because she really didn't understand," Moore said. "She'd never heard that word before and didn't really understand the concept of it."

Moore, who has a younger son and daughter, said she's heard the word used many times, although it has never been directed in anger at her.

"But it's a very, very bad word that makes you feel degraded, like you're a nobody," she said.

Moore said she called the furniture store the following day and three other times since, and feels discouraged that no one has returned her calls.

When interviewed yesterday by the Star, Romesh Kumar, Vanaik's assistant manager, passed the buck to his supplier, Cosmos Furniture in Scarborough.

"Why should I take the blame?" he said. "I'm a trader, I don't manufacture. I sell from 20 companies, maybe 50 companies. How can I take care of all of them?"

He said that he would check similar stock and make sure other labels were removed.

"That's terrible, that's a racial ... something?" Kumar said. "This is entirely wrong, but it's not my fault. It's my job to sell good product to people."

He said the best he could do is to give Moore the telephone number of his supplier, so she could take it up with him.

The owner of Cosmos Furniture, Paul Kumar, no relation to Romesh, said he was upset to learn packing labels on products he sold carried a racial epithet.

"I import my products from overseas," he said. "I've never noticed anything like that. This is something new to me."

He passed the blame to a Chinese company, but apologized for the labels. He said he would contact the furniture maker in Guangzhou and demand they remove all similar labels.

Moore said she's not sure she wants the sofa set in her home.

"Every time I sit on it, I'll think of that," she said.

BigMeatballDave
04-11-2007, 01:52 AM
How did you miss the 1st time this was posted?

Hammock Parties
04-11-2007, 01:52 AM
DAMMIT!

BigMeatballDave
04-11-2007, 01:56 AM
DAMMIT!http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=160940

Sorry, dude...

Mecca
04-11-2007, 01:59 AM
I won the race.

SPchief
04-11-2007, 02:03 AM
REPOST

ILChief
04-11-2007, 05:20 AM
The fact that both guys' names are Kumar is interesting. A guy I work with is from India and he went on a trip back to India a couple of months ago and brought me back a pack of Indian Chili powder from a market in India and one of the ingredients listed on the bag is "Ni**ger Corriander". Apparently the word has a different meaning in India.

Simplex3
04-11-2007, 05:26 AM
The fact that both guys' names are Kumar is interesting. A guy I work with is from India and he went on a trip back to India a couple of months ago and brought me back a pack of Indian Chili powder from a market in India and one of the ingredients listed on the bag is "Ni**ger Corriander". Apparently the word has a different meaning in India.
W.T.F.? You mean to tell me the entire world's vocabulary doesn't revolve around the misuse of one word over 150 years ago!!!???!

penguinz
04-11-2007, 06:00 AM
LMAO
Moore, 30, who describes herself as an African-American born and raised in New YorkThis explains the over reaction. I am going to pissed off the next time I hear someone say I am white. I am Irish-American.

Al Bundy
04-11-2007, 06:22 AM
This explains the over reaction. I am going to pissed off the next time I hear someone say I am white. I am Irish-American.
So am I.. I am Native American-American.

thehead
04-11-2007, 06:22 AM
Over reaction this N word crap is about to piss me off. Lets boycott all Chris Rock ,Eddie Murphy,Red Fox material .We as white america have become nothing but Apologist for the black culture,

Simplex3
04-11-2007, 06:23 AM
This explains the over reaction. I am going to pissed off the next time I hear someone say I am white. I am Irish-American.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that finds it laughable that so few "African Americans" have ever even SEEN Africa, much less are from there.

Just because 4 generations ago my ancestors lived in Wales doesn't give me some kind of connection to the country.

rad
04-11-2007, 06:27 AM
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that finds it laughable that so few "African Americans" have ever even SEEN Africa, much less are from there.

Just because 4 generations ago my ancestors lived in Wales doesn't give me some kind of connection to the country.

****ing Limey.

Skip Towne
04-11-2007, 06:40 AM
REPOST

Bugeater
04-11-2007, 06:41 AM
Both the Kumars should serve two-week suspensions.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
04-11-2007, 06:50 AM
Well the sofa does match her skin tone pretty well. So I guess the sofa color should be called "African American Brown"; wonder if that would make her feel better?

:shrug:

Halfcan
04-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Jesse Jackson is on the way to get the couch to apologize.

ct
04-11-2007, 07:18 AM
Holy shiite!! Who the hell thought up that name, and what dipshit approved it stamped on the label?

Mr. Flopnuts
04-11-2007, 07:30 AM
ROFL That is f*cking hilarious.

Eleazar
04-11-2007, 07:40 AM
Why the long face? The company will pay her off, she'll make a few bucks and get a free couch.

Halfcan
04-11-2007, 07:43 AM
I looked under my couch and it said "Cracker White" damm I am pissed!

NaptownChief
04-11-2007, 07:48 AM

And if they did spend a few days there and saw how horrible the country is with millions living in huts, starving to death and picking off flies they might realize that they don't want to be associated with it.

Imagine the scenario where they weren't hanging on to the term African American and somebody were to say to a black person "So you are an African American". That would be considered slanderous and create a riot. "Why the fu@k did this honky try to associate me with a broke ass third world country....I wasn't effin born there, my parents weren't effin born there...." Yada, yada, yada.

I don't get why they try to hang onto "African" because when I and most think of Africa we think of dirt poor, third world country. It is almost like calling yourself a Third World American.

crazycoffey
04-11-2007, 07:50 AM

Yeah! I'm English-French Canadian-American Indian-Irish-Scottish-German Jewish-American.

Put that on your application form for me or else I'll sue! (it's the small part of Jew in me)........

kepp
04-11-2007, 08:14 AM
W.T.F.? You mean to tell me the entire world's vocabulary doesn't revolve around the misuse of one word over 150 years ago!!!???!
Americans are far too self-centered. In the picture, she's trying to look like she's been terribly wronged. What she could have done is a little world research and learn that [gasp] the same word means totally different things in different places around the world. I almost picketed the Saltines manufacturing facility until I took the time to learn a little more about them.

ChiTown
04-11-2007, 08:17 AM
Holy shiite!! Who the hell thought up that name, and what dipshit approved it stamped on the label?

We're talking about the Chinese here. They could give a shit less what the rest of the World thinks.

thehead
04-11-2007, 08:22 AM

You better call !!!!!!!!!well ugh you can call ?? oh yeah who the ***** do we call :hmmm:

Rooster
04-11-2007, 08:24 AM

ROFL I did the same thing but mine said the color was a "Honky Hue".

ChiTown
04-11-2007, 08:24 AM
You better call !!!!!!!!!well ugh you can call ?? oh yeah who the ***** do we call :hmmm:

You fkn whities are all the same..........

thehead
04-11-2007, 08:30 AM
You fkn whities are all the same..........

LOL

Extra Point
04-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Racist Chinks!

Crush
04-11-2007, 08:41 AM

Yes, the whole world does indeed revolve around me.

NaptownChief
04-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Yes, the whole world does indeed revolve around me.

And owes me dearly....and if you think I'm talking about a free coach and chair you are badly mistaken....damned mistaken. Millions I'm owed for subjecting me and my family to this...millions I say.

ChiTown
04-11-2007, 08:51 AM
And owes me dearly....and if you think I'm talking about a free coach and chair you are badly mistaken....damned mistaken. Millions I'm owed for subjecting me and my family to this...millions I say.

Think about her little girl, damnit!

She's been scarred for life.

thehead
04-11-2007, 08:57 AM

The sad thing is .It will go down just like that!

kepp
04-11-2007, 08:58 AM

The way they took that photo makes it look like the tag is big enough to cover a whole couch cushion.

Chief Faithful
04-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Time to send Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton to China to get this corrected. :)

thehead
04-11-2007, 09:20 AM
How the hell did she find the tag ,OH droped crack rock ? STFU