PDA

View Full Version : Ted Ginn, Jr. runs slow 40's

Hammock Parties
04-11-2007, 12:51 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6313

There were 3 hand-timed 40's all with about 3 minute intervals in between. The first two were in the 4.4's and the third one was a 4.5.

JBucc
04-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Also from that page:
Good call.

Hester ran a 4.51

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/hester_devin Just further proof how deceptive these 40 times can be.

Direckshun
04-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Ginn won't fall to us.

If he somehow does, you take him. It's a steal.

Hammock Parties
04-11-2007, 01:14 PM
I bet Herm would pass. We've already got a small speedster in Parker.

El Jefe
04-11-2007, 01:22 PM
I would love to see a Buckeye on the Chiefs team, if he falls to us I would take him. 40's dont mean much watch him out run everyone on special teams from College and tell me he isnt fast lol.

suds79
04-11-2007, 01:26 PM
opps. The scouts and draft guys better rewrite the book on Ginn.

I can see it now. He's quick but lacks that true top end speed. Not a gamebreaker.

:shake:

How silly is the 40 time?

I think this strengthens the case for Jarrett and Rice.

bdeg
04-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Anyone else think they should make players run the 40 in pads? On grass?

Sam Hall
04-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Moves are just as important as speed, i.e. Dante Hall when he was good.

DaKCMan AP
04-11-2007, 01:55 PM
I would love to see a Buckeye on the Chiefs team

The goal is to win, not come in 2nd place.

Mr. Laz
04-11-2007, 01:55 PM
good .... i'm scared to death of taking a WR in the 1st anyway.

tomahawk kid
04-11-2007, 02:00 PM
4.4 is now considered slow?

If anything I think this would strengthen his stock.

suds79
04-11-2007, 02:09 PM
4.4 is now considered slow?

If anything I think this would strengthen his stock.

It's slow for him. He's widely considered the fastest guy in the daft.

He was suppose to challenge Figures for the this years fastest player. If you put a lot of stock in the 40 time, Calvin Johnson is faster than Ginn.

tomahawk kid
04-11-2007, 02:15 PM
It's slow for him. He's widely considered the fastest guy in the daft.

He was suppose to challenge Figures for the this years fastest player. If you put a lot of stock in the 40 time, Calvin Johnson is faster than Ginn.

Johnson ran what? 4.34?

Not much difference between that and a 4.4.

BigChiefFan
04-11-2007, 02:26 PM
I don't like Ginn for our offense. He's got some skills, but I don't think he fits the scheme unless we want a slot reciver. The idea is to get a dominate WR. I don't feel confident about Ginn becoming a dominate WR in the NFL anytime soon.

suds79
04-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Johnson ran what? 4.34?

Not much difference between that and a 4.4.

Hey 40 time world (which is overrated) it is.

I'm just poking fun at how guys drop because they don't ran a fast 40 (see Jarrett & Rice)

I don't think size is factored in as much as it needs to be. When you compare the reach between a guy like Ginn (6'1) to a guy like Jarrett (6'5) that's gotta account for something.

The 6'5 guy can reach considerably further out and up higher for a ball.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Hey 40 time world (which is overrated) it is.

I'm just poking fun at how guys drop because they don't ran a fast 40 (see Jarrett & Rice)

I don't think size is factored in as much as it needs to be. When you compare the reach between a guy like Ginn (6'1) to a guy like Jarrett (6'5) that's gotta account for something.

The 6'5 guy can reach considerably further out and up higher for a ball.

Anquan Boldin ran a 4.6.

That didn't stop him from being a badass WR.

ct
04-11-2007, 03:46 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/home_NFL.aspx

Ted Ginn Jr.-WR-Player Apr. 11 - 2:33 pm et

Ted Ginn Jr. (mid-foot sprain) ran three forties in the 4.38-4.41 range at his Pro Day Wednesday, according the Columbus Dispatch.

Scout.com reported that Ginn ran six routes in pass-catching drills and fell on five before the workout was called off. We've confirmed that it's been raining in Columbus, so that's a possible explanation. Rams head coach Scott Linehan was impressed nonetheless: "Even not probably 100 percent, he still ran faster than most guys. So I think he's just fine."

Story link: Columbus Dispatch (http://www.columbusdispatch.com/dispatch/content/sports/stories/2007/04/11/ginn.html)

that speed seems just mighty fine to me :shrug:

bdeg
04-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Now that's more what I would expect out of Ginn. I just checked out the link in the OP, and it's just a rumor.

May as well delete this whole thread.

Mecca
04-11-2007, 04:59 PM
I bet Herm would pass. We've already got a small speedster in Parker.

.............Samie Parker should not be affecting draft decisions in any way whatsoever......

ChiefsCountry
04-11-2007, 05:02 PM
.............Samie Parker should not be affecting draft decisions in any way whatsoever......

Your wrong Mecca he should be affecting our decision not to draft on the speed factor.

Hammock Parties
04-11-2007, 05:05 PM

Ginn = Parker

LiL stumppy
04-11-2007, 05:10 PM
He ran a 4.4.That is fast enough for a NFL WR.

Reaper16
04-11-2007, 05:18 PM
This reaffirms my love of Dwayne Jarrett. 40 times are overrated.

bdeg
04-11-2007, 05:28 PM
New info from rotoworld:

NFL.com's Gil Brandt reports Ted Ginn ran 20 routes at his Pro Day.
An earlier report counted six, and Brandt doesn't mention Ginn "falling" despite the rain in Columbus. He says Ginn had to stop running the routes because of his sore foot. It's pretty amazing that Ginn ran in the 4.3s while injured in the rain. Head coaches in attendance were Scott Linehan (Rams), Cam Cameron (Dolphins), and Marvin Lewis (Bengals). The Rams and 'Fins brought their personnel people to the workout.

Fish
04-11-2007, 05:29 PM
good .... i'm scared to death of taking a WR in the 1st anyway.

I agree. I do not want a WR in the 1st round....

suds79
04-11-2007, 06:31 PM
This reaffirms my love of Dwayne Jarrett. 40 times are overrated.

Right on.

I hope the Chiefs forget everything they know the WRs 40 times. It just isn't a factor. (see the ultimate example: Jerry Rice 4.6 to 4.7)

1 - Hands
2 - Work ethic/drive
3 - Route Running
4 - Quickness
5 - and finally speed

Mecca
04-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Ginn = Parker

Don't buy that at at all, I'm bit a big fan of Ginn but he isn't Parker either. He's taller and actually you know plays special teams....

People don't want WR's it's nice to know you want the Chiefs to essentially start a rookie QB with no one to throw too, that's brilliant.

Fish
04-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Don't buy that at at all, I'm bit a big fan of Ginn but he isn't Parker either. He's taller and actually you know plays special teams....

People don't want WR's it's nice to know you want the Chiefs to essentially start a rookie QB with no one to throw too, that's brilliant.

Yeah.... Green threw for 4000+ yds 3 straight years to those receivers you classify as "no one to throw too"....

Tribal Warfare
04-11-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm bit a big fan of Ginn but he isn't Parker either. He's taller and actually you know plays special teams....

I'm surprised, earlier in the year you were touting that Ginn will be a bigtime bust

Mecca
04-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Yeah.... Green threw for 4000+ yds 3 straight years to those receivers you classify as "no one to throw too"....

How'd he look with those recievers in the playoff game? Or for most of the year in general?

Those WR's aren't even as good as they were because Parker sucks and Kennison is ancient for his position.

That was also suppose to say "I'm not a big fan of Ginn"

This devaluation of the WR position is just moronic I'm sorry, there's a reason we haven't had a good WR in 20 years and alot of people think that's fine and want to continue on with it, let's take another crappy DT instead.

Mecca
04-11-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm surprised, earlier in the year you were touting that Ginn will be a bigtime bust

I typoed up, It was suppose to say "I'm not a big fan of Ginn".....when I say that I mean as an elite top 15 level WR where I assumed he was going to get picked till he basically couldn't run, that doesn't mean I think he's Samie Parker either.

Mr. Laz
04-12-2007, 09:22 AM
i would think a bigger issue would be the fact that Ginn is still trying to recover from a sprained foot from months ago.

slow healer? Big Pussy?

Chiefnj
04-12-2007, 09:24 AM
i would think a bigger issue would be the fact that Ginn is still trying to recover from a sprained foot from months ago.

slow healer? Big Pussy?

Serious foot injury like a lis franc?

Mr. Laz
04-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Serious foot injury like a lis franc?
don't think so, i've never heard is was anything more than a sprain

he jumped up in celebration and came down weird and sprained it.

A no contact injury :shrug:

Chiefnj
04-12-2007, 09:48 AM
don't think so, i've never heard is was anything more than a sprain

he jumped up in celebration and came down weird and sprained it.

A no contact injury :shrug:

You honestly believe it is just a sprain? 3 1/2 months for a sprain?

Teams keep medical evaluations of draftees very close to the vest. Last year didn't Rodrique Wright and Gabe Watson slip into the 2nd day of the draft (or went undrafted altogether) because of injury? At least one of them had a serious shoulder injury that was never made public but every team discovered the problem during the physicals.

Mr. Laz
04-12-2007, 09:52 AM
You honestly believe it is just a sprain? 3 1/2 months for a sprain?

Teams keep medical evaluations of draftees very close to the vest. Last year didn't Rodrique Wright and Gabe Watson slip into the 2nd day of the draft (or went undrafted altogether) because of injury? At least one of them had a serious shoulder injury that was never made public but every team discovered the problem during the physicals.

i just going by everything i've heard reported

during the game .... after the game .... during the offseason etc

every report i've ever heard about the Ginn injury said it was a ankle/foot sprain.

do you have a source to the contrary?

Chiefnj
04-12-2007, 09:57 AM
i just going by everything i've heard reported

during the game .... after the game .... during the offseason etc

every report i've ever heard about the Ginn injury said it was a ankle/foot sprain.

do you have a source to the contrary?

Nope. I'm just thinking of the Rodrique Wright scenario. Junior year he was a 1st round talent (per all the draft gurus). He had a disappointing Sr year but was regarded as a 2nd round talent (per all the draft gurus). He slipped to the 7th round and was told he had a serious shoulder injury - that he claims he was never aware of. None of the draft nicks, none of the fans knew about the injury until after the draft. I just can't help but think that Ginn's injury is a bit more serious than a "foot sprain".

Wright article from last year:

DT Rodrique Wright By: Alain Poupart
Associate Editor
Date: Apr 30, 2006

Rodrique Wright had heard rumblings about his stock falling heading into the draft, but he never anticipated not being picked until the seventh round. And when the Dolphins finally ended his wait by selecting him 226th overall, he found out what perhaps proved to be the reason for his major fall.

Wright said the Dolphins told him after drafting him that he had a shoulder injury that probably was going to require surgery. That came as news to Wright, who said he never felt any pain and recently bench-pressed 425 pounds.
"It's very strange," Wright said after being drafted. "Actually, I've been getting stronger. I haven't had any problems."

Wright said his best guess would be that he would have suffered the injury during practice for Texas' bowl game during his junior season, but he can't be sure because he played every game in 2005 and never felt any pain beyond what he thought that normal soreness.

Wright said some NFL teams had him undergo an MRI in the spring, but not all of them. Not until Sunday did Wright have any inkling that he had any kind of shoulder injury.

"I was informed today by Miami," Wright said. "I've been confused as to why I went from the first round to the seventh round."

Wright probably would have been a first-round pick had he entered the draft following his junior season, but he decided to return to the Longhorns, who he helped win the national title.

But his draft stock fell in the process, even without the injury, because he didn't dominate as much as expected despite the fact he earned consensus All-American honors. Scouts felt Wright had a tendency to slack off, particularly if the play wasn't headed in his direction. He also had a lackluster performance in Texas' Rose Bowl victory over USC.

But it's clear there was something else behind the major downfall, something Wright still has a problem accepting. That's why Wright said the first thing he might do upon arriving in Miami is get a second opinion on his right shoulder.

"I'm not happy," Wright said. "Obviously, it's disappointing. I know it's an injury issue and not a talent issue.

"I don't know exactly what the injury is, it wasn't explained to me. I'm not totally convinced. Maybe there was some kind of error."

JohnnyV13
04-12-2007, 10:45 AM
How did Wright play in Miami?

Mr. Laz
04-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Texas

Brock
04-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Texas

Miami Dolphins

Chiefnj
04-12-2007, 10:56 AM

I believe he had the shoulder surgery and missed the entire season.

Brock
04-12-2007, 11:00 AM
I believe he had the shoulder surgery and missed the entire season.

That was pretty much the point of what you're saying, no? Though there is no way Ginn falls out of round one.

Mr. Laz
04-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Miami Dolphins
He played for Texas longhorns in college

he was draft by the Miami Dolphins ... but has yet to actually play.

CupidStunt
04-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Who cares?

Ginn is EASILY quicker than any of those corners that ran a 4.3-something.

Brock
04-12-2007, 11:03 AM
He played for Texas longhorns in college

he was draft by the Miami Dolphins ... but has yet to actually play.

Well, yeah. I think that's the point of what he said.

Chiefnj
04-12-2007, 11:05 AM
That was pretty much the point of what you're saying, no? Though there is no way Ginn falls out of round one.

My point is that I think Ginn's injury is probably more serious than his camp is letting on. I used Rod Wright as an example of how the information doesn't become public until after the fact/ after the draft. I think a lot of teams must have thought Wright's injury may be career threatening. How else do you explain a 1/2 round talent dropping to the 7th?

Is Ginn like Wright or Mcgahee - I don't know. Probably like the latter and he'll go in the 1st round. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he spends a lot more time recuperating and misses a bunch of games this year.

Frosty
04-12-2007, 11:44 AM

Absolutely.

JBucc
04-12-2007, 11:56 AM
While being chased by an insane linebacker trying to rip your head off. That should give you a nice boost of adrenaline.