PDA

View Full Version : Let The Liar Be Named & Shamed

Stinger
04-12-2007, 08:05 AM
Mr. Podhoretz doesn't pull any punches.

LET THE LIAR BE NAMED & SHAMED

April 12, 2007 -- HER name is Crystal Gail Man gum.

She is the woman who falsely accused three Duke University students of rape. Yesterday, the attorney general of North Carolina came forward and flatly declared the three young men "innocent of these charges."
That means their accuser is a liar.

Her name is Crystal Gail Mangum.

It is the policy of the news media not to publish the names of rape accusers on the grounds that they should not have to fear public shame for coming forward with word of a horrifying personal violation.

That is a noble policy. But it needs a codicil. The codicil is that if a rape accuser is revealed as a liar, her name should be spoken loudly and often - as loudly and often as the names of those whom she falsely accused have been over the past year.

She must be denied anonymity because she makes a mockery of the very policy of granting anonymity to rape accusers. We do not publish their names so that they will not fear public exposure. But people who are tempted to do the monstrous thing Mangum did should fear public exposure.

They should be terrified of it.

They should have nightmares about it.

They should be given no encouragement whatsoever to believe they can launch a nuclear weapon at someone's reputation and escape unscathed.

Her name is Crystal Gail Mangum, and she should not escape the world's scorn because she is poor, or because she is black, or because her life circumstances led her to work as a "stripper."

Her name is Crystal Gail Mangum, and she does not deserve to lick the underside of the shoes of hardworking and honest people of color and modest means who somehow manage to get through life without attempting to destroy and defile the lives of others.

At his press conference yesterday, Attorney General Roy Cooper said something odd about the liar Crystal Gail Mangum. He said she would face no charges for her false accusation.

He said, "Our investigators who talked with her and the attorneys who talked with her over a period of time think that she may actually believe the many different stories that she has been telling. They worked real hard with her. It doesn't make sense. You can't piece it together."

The suggestion here is that she has psychological problems. So do millions upon millions of people in the United States. And they too manage, somehow, not to spin lies about rape into false arrests.

They somehow manage not to force families of those they falsely accuse to incur legal fees reportedly totaling more than $1 million per family. These families are sometimes described as "affluent," as though the fact that they live in nice communities in nice houses means they can afford million-dollar fees.

Attorney General Cooper did a good thing by making so unambiguous a statement of innocence as he freed David Evans, Reade Seligmann and Colin Finnerty from their year of torment.

Until I hear more that might justify his decision beyond a desire not to inflame racial passions in the Tar Heel State, I cannot help think that Cooper has done a very, very wrong thing by allowing Crystal Gail Mangum to avoid the judgment of his state's legal system.

Unless he changes his mind, then, the only justice she will face is the public exposure of her name and the revelation to all the world that, if she had had her way, three young men would have been sent to prison on false charges.

Let her name be the new Mudd.

jpodhoretz@gmail.com

LINK (http://www.nypost.com/seven/04122007/news/columnists/let_the_liar_be_named__shamed_columnists_john_podhoretz.htm?page=0)

SLAG
04-12-2007, 08:07 AM
Man.. The chiefs really Crystal Gail Mangum'd That Play..

idk if it rolls off the tounge as easy

greg63
04-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Man.. The chiefs really Crystal Gail Mangum'd That Play..

idk if it rolls off the tounge as easy

ROFL

Good one!

jidar
04-12-2007, 08:32 AM
I say we owe her one rape.

sedated
04-12-2007, 08:36 AM
she's a nappy-headed hoe

Brock
04-12-2007, 12:28 PM
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0411071duke3.jpg

chasedude
04-12-2007, 12:33 PM
I didn't know this POS had a record, thanks for posting Brock.

... anyone believe in Karma?

Braincase
04-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Don't it make my brown eyes blue....

Erp... wrong Crystal Gail...

KCChiefsMan
04-12-2007, 02:59 PM
I think she should have to go to prison for as long as the Duke guys would have had to

TrebMaxx
04-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Don't it make my brown eyes blue....

She claimed the Duke players made her brown eye bruised!
:)

BIG_DADDY
04-12-2007, 03:07 PM
I think she should have to go to prison for as long as the Duke guys would have had to

Yep :thumb:

If they go after her though women will be less likely to make faulse claims and how many attorneys would that put out of work? :hmmm:

Nightwish
04-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Yep :thumb:

If they go after her though women will be less likely to make faulse claims and how many attorneys would that put out of work? :hmmm:Unfortunately, there is a flip side to that coin. It's a pretty well-known caution that rape, when it really does occur, is still very hard to prove, and a relatively small percentage of accused rapists are ever convicted. And when an accused rapist goes free, that doesn't necessarily mean the rape didn't happen (though in this case, I don't think it did, based on what I've heard over the past year), only that the prosecution couldn't make their case. Considering that, if they go hot and hard after Mangum, not only could it discourage women from falsely claiming rape (which would be a good thing), but it could also discourage real rape victims from making real claims, if they know that the odds of getting a conviction are already against them, and they now face the possibility of severe punishment if they can't make the case stick.

DaFace
04-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Unfortunately, there is a flip side to that coin. It's a pretty well-known caution that rape, when it really does occur, is still very hard to prove, and a relatively small percentage of accused rapists are ever convicted. And when an accused rapist goes free, that doesn't necessarily mean the rape didn't happen (though in this case, I don't think it did, based on what I've heard over the past year), only that the prosecution couldn't make their case. Considering that, if they go hot and hard after Mangum, not only could it discourage women from falsely claiming rape (which would be a good thing), but it could also discourage real rape victims from making real claims, if they know that the odds of getting a conviction are already against them, and they now face the possibility of severe punishment if they can't make the case stick.

Yep. That's the trick. I would wager quite a few of rape cases that end with a "not guilty" verdict ended that way just because there wasn't sufficient evidence to convict. Having a policy where accusers are ridiculed if they can't prove their case would be disastrous.

That being said, I don't disagree with making a small mockery of this particular woman. It seems highly likely that she was completely and utterly lying about the entire situation, so she deserves everything she gets.

Mr. Kotter
04-12-2007, 05:04 PM

Nice. :clap:

Garcia Bronco
04-12-2007, 05:08 PM
I think she should have to chip rocks with other rocks while being ankle chained to the DA.

Mr. Laz
04-12-2007, 05:17 PM
i don't know why she shouldn't be charged

if you has mental problems then our justice system has avenues for handling that.

Don't throw her back out on the street

Simplex3
04-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Unfortunately, there is a flip side to that coin. It's a pretty well-known caution that rape, when it really does occur, is still very hard to prove, and a relatively small percentage of accused rapists are ever convicted. And when an accused rapist goes free, that doesn't necessarily mean the rape didn't happen (though in this case, I don't think it did, based on what I've heard over the past year), only that the prosecution couldn't make their case. Considering that, if they go hot and hard after Mangum, not only could it discourage women from falsely claiming rape (which would be a good thing), but it could also discourage real rape victims from making real claims, if they know that the odds of getting a conviction are already against them, and they now face the possibility of severe punishment if they can't make the case stick.
Horse s**t.

It's not like this thing was ever even a question. It was a bald-faced lie from the outset. The only reason this incredibly dumb accusation even stood up was because she found an accomplice in the DA's office.

If you lie to the police and use the power of the state to ruin someone else you need to be held accountable. I don't give a flying fig who you are and I most certainly don't think that charging them with something MORE heinous makes you LESS culpable.

Simplex3
04-12-2007, 07:58 PM
i don't know why she shouldn't be charged

if you has mental problems then our justice system has avenues for handling that.

Don't throw her back out on the street
Why not? So what if she costs completely innocent families millions of dollars, causes the taxpayers untold millions of dollars in legal costs, and delays justice for REAL victims? F**k it, we need to let her walk so that real victims feel comfortable with the whole process.