PDA

View Full Version : CBS cancels Imus radio show too

LTforMVP
04-12-2007, 02:53 PM
NEW YORK (CNN) -- CBS has canceled Don Imus' radio show, effective immediately, after uproar over his racist and sexist comments about Rutgers women's basketball team.

"From the outset, I believe all of us have been deeply upset and revulsed by the statements that were made on our air about the young women who represented Rutgers University in the NCAA Women's Basketball Championship with such class, energy and talent," said CBS President and Chief Executive Officer Leslie Moonves, in announcing the decision.

The decision by CBS came a day after NBC Universal decided to part ways with Imus completely, thus canceling the simulcast of his show on MSNBC.

Amid the outcry over his on-air racial slur last week, shock jock Imus said Thursday that he had "apologized enough" and that he will not go on "some talk show tour."

"I'm not going to go talk to Larry King or Barbara Walters or anyone else," Imus said on his flagship station in New York, WFAN-AM, which is owned by CBS Corp. and distributes "Imus in the Morning" nationally.

"The only other people I want to talk to are these young women at the team, and then that's it," Imus said.

He was referring to the members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team, whom he described as "nappy-headed hos" the day after the team lost the NCAA championship to the University of Tennessee. (Gallery: Other controversial comments aired on Imus show)

He has repeatedly apologized for those remarks. Team members have agreed to meet with him privately, but so far no meeting has taken place.

"It gets said. Kids get hurt," he said. "At some point -- I'm not sure when -- I'm going to go talk to the team and that's all I'm interested in doing."

NBC News President Steve Capus, appearing on CNN, said Imus' comments had "touched a nerve" within the organization and firing him was "the only action we could take." (Your e-mails on Imus)

Earlier in the week, CBS Radio issued a statement announcing a two-week suspension that starts Monday.

Despite being dropped by NBC, Imus hosted his show from the MSNBC studios in New Jersey. He did not appear on TV.

"As you know, MSNBC folded up yesterday, so we're just on the radio," he said.

Imus was broadcasting his 18th annual radio charity fundraiser, which has pulled in $50 million since 1990. It ends Friday.

"This may be our last radiothon, so we need to raise $100 million dollars," Imus said, chuckling.

According to The Associated Press, Imus raised $1 million in the first five hours of Thursday's fundraiser.

The disparaging remark prompted eight companies to pull their ads from Imus' show: Staples, General Motors, Sprint Nextel, GlaxoSmithKline, Procter & Gamble, PetMed Express, American Express and Bigelow Tea.

Bruce Gordon, a member of CBS Corp.'s board of directors, has called for Imus' firing from WFAN.

Speaking Thursday on CNN's "American Morning," Gordon said that, speaking "as an African-American man in this country, Don Imus violated our community. He attacked beautiful, talented, classy women and when those women showed themselves to the country, I think that those words matched with those images made it clear to America that Don Imus was wrong."

Gordon is a former president and CEO of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

At a rally outside CBS's New York offices Thursday, civil rights activist Al Sharpton pressured the network to cancel Imus' morning show.

Rain cut attendance at the rally -- another has been scheduled for Saturday afternoon -- but Sharpton, joined by the father of a player on the team, spoke to the media.

"NBC has done in our judgment what is right," he said, and CBS must not be "the dam holding back the waters of insensitivity."

Sharpton said he had met with several NBC leaders and planned to meet with CBS leaders later in the day.

Linzell Vaughn, the father of sophomore center Kia Vaughn, said Imus' comments were "like a slap in the face."

"Do not disrespect our children," he said. (Players talk of hurt, seeking understanding)

Sharpton said the airways should not be used to "call children hard-core hos, nappy-headed hos. ... None of us have the right to use the public airways to express our bigotry."

Civil rights activist Jesse Jackson also spoke on Thursday afternoon outside CBS' offices and called for Imus' firing.

"This is not the first time this has happened on this show," he said, and spoke of previous Imus comments that Jackson characterized as racist and sexist.

"'Three strikes you're out' ought to apply to this position," he said.

Copyright 2007 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/12/imus.rutgers/index.html

LOL @ FAX

Saulbadguy
04-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Who cares.

listopencil
04-12-2007, 02:56 PM
They should have canceled it a while ago because it wasn't entertaining.

ChiTown
04-12-2007, 02:59 PM
And the idiots win again.

unreal

eazyb81
04-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Ha-Ha.

Baby Lee
04-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Kind of curious what Jesse and Al's response is gonna be to the vacuum of charitable giving created when Imus no longer has a national forum.

Mr. Kotter
04-12-2007, 03:02 PM
And the idiots win again.

unrealWell, I think this is going to have a backlash that.....many black entertainers and musicians--and record labels, are not gonna be too happy about.

But one that, ironically, may actually end up cleaning up some excesses of pop culture. :hmmm:

Eric
04-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Not the USA anymore.

Something else. PC USA.

First Howard & now Imus.

CBS= douchebags.

Hopefully Imus will go internet and satellite.

Jeez , anyone feel it's similar to the Rebels in Starwars. Need to find remote outpost to evade the Deathstar.

Ozarks-Chiefs-Fan
Who cares.

why open the thread and post a response if you don't care?

chagrin
all of ya - RACISTS!

Saulbadguy
04-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Just to state that I don't care.

Saulbadguy
04-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Not the USA anymore.

Something else. PC USA.

First Howard & now Imus.

CBS= douchebags.

Jeez , anyone feel it's similar to the Rebels in Starwars. Need to find remote outpost to evade the Deathstar.
ROFL

You rule.

Bugeater
04-12-2007, 03:07 PM
What a ****ing joke.

eazyb81
04-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Not the USA anymore.

Something else. PC USA.

First Howard & now Imus.

CBS= douchebags.

LOL, you're too much.

BIG_DADDY
04-12-2007, 03:08 PM

SBG's attempt at being a dick.

Chiefnj
04-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Why does CBS and MSNBC want to kill children?

teedubya
04-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Nappy Headed Ho's 1 Imus 0

memyselfI
04-12-2007, 03:15 PM
This has gotten completely out of control.

I hope he goes to satellite radio and makes a boatload of money. I'm no Imus fan but the hypocrisy of this stinks to high heaven.

Iowanian
04-12-2007, 03:16 PM
So much for free speech.

Any time he goes on another show on the sure to follow tour, he should only enter to the vilest of cRap music on urban radio.

eazyb81
04-12-2007, 03:18 PM
This should be a good lesson for kids that they need to be accountable for their actions.

memyselfI
04-12-2007, 03:20 PM
This should be a good lesson for kids that they need to be accountable for their actions.

Yeah, right. Will any of the media outlets that fired Mr. Imus divest from any interests they hold in Rap/Hip Hop artists who make money selling worse than what Imus said. :banghead: :cuss: :shake:

Chief Henry
04-12-2007, 03:20 PM
But one that, ironically, may actually end up cleaning up some excesses of pop culture. :hmmm:

I sure hope so.

eazyb81
04-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Yeah, right. Will any of the media outlets that fired Mr. Imus divest from any interests they hold in Rap/Hip Hop artists who make money selling worse than what Imus said. :banghead: :cuss: :shake:

No one is stopping Imus from recording a CD of racist profanities. They are simply firing him from his job for his derogatory remarks.

Thus, he is being held responsible for his poor choices.

listopencil
04-12-2007, 03:25 PM
I don't know, what if he had called the Lady Vols a bunch of dirty whores? Would it be any different?

LTforMVP
04-12-2007, 03:27 PM
No one is stopping Imus from recording a CD of racist profanities. They are simply firing him from his job for his derogatory remarks.

Thus, he is being held responsible for his poor choices.

Why are you trying to bring logic or common sense into the discussion?

Its better if they just continue to spout "WHAT ABOUT RAP MUSIC??!?!? WAAA!!"

Adept Havelock
04-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Eh, no great loss. :shrug:

Don't let the door hit you, Imus...and take your "pals" Jesse and Al with you.

That'd be fine...as long as those "excesses" aren't solely benchmarked by a guy who thinks the man who boinks Catherine Zeta Jones is a pedophile. ;)

Stewie
04-12-2007, 03:32 PM
I cancelled CBS a long time ago.

Halfcan
04-12-2007, 03:33 PM
This is getting crazy- I mean were those ladies even offended by that? They never would have known if such a big deal was not made of it.

So what hurt them worse- a joke comment that should have just passed on by

or

Having every freaking media outlet-blast it over and over and over- forever putting the lable of nappy headed ho's on them. They are a joke now-and their coach looked like a dumbass- using the incident to recruit.

Bwana
CBS............. home tree hugging Dan Rather.............NO!! Say it isn't so.....huge surprise there.

nychief
Imus is a silly old man. Just look at the photos of him he looks like a cross between King Lear and Dick Vermiel...

LTforMVP
04-12-2007, 03:34 PM
This is getting crazy- I mean were those ladies even offended by that? They never would have known if such a big deal was not made of it.

So what hurt them worse- a joke comment that should have just passed on by

or

Having every freaking media outlet-blast it over and over and over- forever putting the lable of nappy headed ho's on them. They are a joke now-and their coach looked like a dumbass- using the incident to recruit.

Actually the joke is on the jobless Imus

penchief
04-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Well, I think this is going to have a backlash that.....many black entertainers and musicians--and record labels, are not gonna be too happy about.

I saw the CBS firing coming as soon as MSNBC caved.

I'm as big a free speech advocate as you'll find but the way the lynch mob mentality has blown this way out of proportion and ruined a man's life has chapped my ass to the point that I hope they clean all of it up. Including the Dave Chapelles and the rappers. Then we'll see how the hypocrites like it when it applies to them.

The hypocricy of all this has left a stench that disgusts me. I can't connect the dots as to why a man has to lose everything he's built in life because of a spontaneous mistake. He apololgized and acknowledged the hurt he caused. He pledged to change the format of his show so that spontaneity would not produce such mistakes again. He put himself out there for the abuse he knew he would have to endure yet that wasn't good enough for Al Sharpton, somebody that I've always defended but now makes me sick.

It's a sad day in America when we can't forgive somebody who is sincerely sorry. The way this has blown up leads me to believe that forces greater than public opinion are driving this.

Halfcan
04-12-2007, 03:36 PM
I think Dr. King would be ashamed of Al (crackhead) Sharpton and Jesse (can't keep it in my pants) Jackson if he were still alive.

With bigger issues out there like the rise in Black on Black violent crime- these dumbfuggs go after this to get their names in the paper. They are a bigger joke than all of the idiots making such a big deal over this.

Bugeater
04-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Before anyone else plays the "free speech" card, the 1st amendment only protects you from government persecution for what you say. It doesn't mean you can say whatever you want whenever you want with impunity.

eazyb81
04-12-2007, 03:38 PM

LOL, i'm pretty sure everyone with at least average intelligence views Imus as the joke in this ordeal.

StcChief
04-12-2007, 03:39 PM
I think Dr. King would be ashamed of Al (crackhead) Sharpton and Jesse (can't keep it in my pants) Jackson if he were still alive.

With bigger issues out there like the rise in Black on Black violent crime- these dumbfuggs go after this to get their names in the paper. They are a bigger joke than all of the idiots making such a big deal over this.
they have hopes to employ more blacks... one less whitey working

Garcia Bronco
04-12-2007, 03:40 PM
I don't see how the man's right to free speech was violated....he wasn't jail for what he siad...nor executed. While we can say what we want....there are consequences for the things we say. He shouldn't have called them whores. Imus really has no one to blame but himself.

Bugeater
they have hopes to employ more blacks... one less whitey working
No, they have hopes of perpetuating racism in order to remain relevant.

penchief
Actually the joke is on the jobless Imus

Revel in your victory. But Imus was not one of the bad guys. What Sharpton did to Imus was lead a lynch mob mentality against him. As an African American, you'd think he'd know better.

I'm not ruling this out as a back door attack on Imus from the establishment. The way all of this has played out defies logic, IMO.

Chief Henry
04-12-2007, 03:43 PM
I hope this doesn't make racial problems in America worse.

For Jackson and Sharpton to do all this, and then to NOT step up to the plate for the Duke LaCrosse
Players, its a TRAVESTY.

Its unfricken unbeleavable how all of this took place on the SAME day. Its just too strange.

eazyb81
04-12-2007, 03:43 PM
I don't see how the man's right to free speech was violated....he wasn't jail for what he siad...nor executed. While we can say what we want....there are consequences for the things we say. He shouldn't have called them whores. Imus really has no one to blame but himself.

Agree - the whole "free speech" card is not relevant in this case. It's the same as if I walked into work tomorrow and called my supervisor a racist name. I would get fired just like Imus.

Garcia Bronco
04-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Let's be clear to...there was absolutely nothing racist about what he said. It could be contended if the whole team was black...or only black people can have knappy heads...since the Team doesn't not qualify for that condition...the claims that he made a racist statement are ridiculous. He did degrade those athletes...and I would have dropped him for that, but If I were the decision maker he would have been canned a long time ago.

Halfcan
04-12-2007, 03:48 PM
LOL, i'm pretty sure everyone with at least average intelligence views Imus as the joke in this ordeal.

I never really liked Imus- but the backlash is at the point where people are turning to his side. So is Jesse and his sidekick Pimp Sharpton going to police every freakin radio station on the air to make sure nobody says nappy again? Jeez I hear worse than that on the Johny Dare show.

I hope Al gets his racism bandwagon out the next time somebody calls Britney Spears- white trash. Same difference.

memyselfI
04-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Revel in your victory. But Imus was not one of the bad guys. What Sharpton did to Imus was lead a lynch mob mentality against him. As an African American, you'd think he'd know better.

I'm not ruling this out as a back door attack on Imus from the establishment. The way all of this has played out defies logic, IMO.

Imus is no saint and that is why this was so easy to do after he crossed the line one too many times...

that being said, to dismiss the double standard here is ridiculous. I completely understand how races and ethnic groups feel they can label and insult themselves in ways that are not open and available to those outside their race or ethnicity.

However, when you have corporations and artists making LOTS of money selling the bi-products of those sorts of insults and labels while simultaneously presenting such as being a viable part of pop 'culture' then you CANNOT pretend those outside that circle are being offensive repeating those same things in similiar terms. Even if it was repeated in an out of line fashion and in a context that was inappropriate.

Garcia Bronco
04-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Doesn't sharpton have a radio show...perhaps it would be prudent to write his sponsers and vow a boycott if he's not removed as well.

memyselfI
04-12-2007, 03:52 PM
The ironic thing is Imus had just checked his shriveled ole ass into rehab he'd still have his job... :shake:

penchief
04-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Agree - the whole "free speech" card is not relevant in this case. It's the same as if I walked into work tomorrow and called my supervisor a racist name. I would get fired just like Imus.

The free speech applies because the employers didn't fire him based on his comments. They fired him based on the lobbying of Sharpton and other self-righteous pharisees who can't see the mote in their own eyes.

A reprimand was in order. Destroying a man's life and all of the good things he has done for others was overkill.

Imus has done more for those less fortunate in advocating a single cause than Sharpton has done in his entire life. Sharpton is an opportunist and he took this opportunity to elevate his own profile at the expense of someone who has sincerely helped thousands of people in a substantive way.

Eleazar
ImusPlanet

eazyb81
Let's be clear to...there was absolutely nothing racist about what he said. It could be contended if the whole team was black...or only black people can have knappy heads...since the Team doesn't not qualify for that condition...the claims that he made a racist statement are ridiculous. He did degrade those athletes...and I would have dropped him for that, but If I were the decision maker he would have been canned a long time ago.

Do you really think he did a quick rundown on the active roster of the Rutgers womens bball team before he said that, just to make sure his comment wouldn't be racist?

It was a racist comment meant to degrade the black bball players on the team. He thought it would be funny but obviously the people in power felt otherwise.

FAX
04-12-2007, 03:55 PM
This is the end of life as we knew it.

FAX

eazyb81
04-12-2007, 03:56 PM
The free speech applies because the employers didn't fire him based on his comments. They fired him based on the lobbying of Sharpton and other self-righteous pharisees who can't see the mote in their own eyes.

No, they fired him because of:

A. the public outcry

B. the pulling of ads from mega companies like P&G

Your obsession with Sharpton is mystifying.

A reprimand was in order. Destroying a man's life and all of the good things he has done for others was overkill.

Eh, people go to prison for life every day because of one dumb mistake. Imus isn't going to prison and his life isn't ruined - he simply lost his job. He will learn from this and move on.

Imus has done more for those less fortunate in advocating a single cause than Sharpton has done in his entire life. Sharpton is an opportunist and he took this opportunity to elevate his own profile at the expense of someone who has sincerely helped thousands of people in a substantive way.

See my first comment.

penchief
04-12-2007, 03:57 PM
The ironic thing is Imus had just checked his shriveled ole ass into rehab he'd still have his job... :shake:

But Imus is legit. That's what some people don't get. He's a recovering cocaine addict and alcoholic. And he put himself out there for the benefit of fellow addicts. He has redeemed himself before. That's why it doesn't surprise me to hear him say today that it's nobody's fault but his own. And even though everything is gone, he still wants to meet with the Rutgers girls.

Imus is not a bad person but is being painted as a bad person by bad people and that pisses me off.

Halfcan
04-12-2007, 03:57 PM
How many people were really offended before this thing got blown up? Stop the average black man on the streets- I am sure he could give a shit less about Imus or any stoopid BS coming out of his mouth.

Garcia Bronco
04-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Do you really think he did a quick rundown on the active roster of the Rutgers womens bball team before he said that, just to make sure his comment wouldn't be racist?

It was a racist comment meant to degrade the black bball players on the team. He thought it would be funny but obviously the people in power felt otherwise.

I couldn't say one way or the other...but the facts are...there are other races on the team making the claim that when he said "team" he meant the black members of the team a reach. Based on that alone it's not a racial statement...nor is a knappy head a condition that is islolated to one race...now if he said "knappy headed hoe's with sickle-cell" you might have a point...but in the end all the ass did was degrade a group of female athletes and IMO he's getting what he deserves for it and has no one to blame but himself.

eazyb81
04-12-2007, 03:58 PM
How many people were really offended before this thing got blown up? Stop the average black man on the streets- I am sure he could give a shit less about Imus or any stoopid BS coming out of his mouth.

I am white and I was offended the first time I heard it that day. The comments were completely uncalled for and went way over the line.

keg in kc
04-12-2007, 03:59 PM
The media has put me in the apathetic camp on this one. I'm so sick of hearing about it on the news and on the radio that I just want it to f*cking end.

He said something stupid. Whether it's a sign of racism is something only Imus will ever know, in his own heart. Whatever the case, you can't say something stupid as a public figure in society today. Unless you're the president, of course. Because otherwise, you don't get a second chance. There's no more leeway. One slip up, and you're done, because the 24-hour media is going to keep your face, and your mistake, on the airwaves for days on end. There's no hiding, and there's no abologies, and, as is the case of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, if someone can use your mistake to further promote themselves, god help you.

FAX
04-12-2007, 03:59 PM
Someone better start recording the things you can't say.

The list is getting longer and longer.

FAX

eazyb81
04-12-2007, 04:00 PM
I couldn't say one way or the other...but the facts are...there are other races on the team making the claim that when he said "team" he meant the black members of the team a reach. Based on that alone it's not a racial statement...nor is a knappy head a condition that is islolated to one race...now if he said "knappy headed hoe's with sickle-cell" you might have a point...but in the end all the ass did was degrade a group of female athletes and IMO he's getting what he deserves for it and has no one to blame but himself.

So if I made a joke about hispanics doing my yard work, and out of the 12 guys doing the work one was white, my joke would no longer be considered racist? Interesting logic.

memyselfI
04-12-2007, 04:00 PM
But Imus is legit. That's what some people don't get. He's a recovering cocaine addict and alcoholic. And he put himself out there for the benefit of fellow addicts. He has redeemed himself before. That's why it doesn't surprise me to hear him say today that it's nobody's fault but his own. And even though everything is gone, he still wants to meet with the Rutgers girls.

Imus is not a bad person but is being painted as a bad person by bad people and that pisses me off.

I know Imus is getting a bum rap...er, no pun intended.

Like I said before, I think before this is over we will owe him a big debt of gratitude because he'll be the catalyst to expose the hideous rap music lyrics and the hypocrisy surrounding this issue.

Garcia Bronco
04-12-2007, 04:01 PM

There is something to be said for taking responsibility for one's actions. I applaud that from Imus. I wonder if Hymie Town Jackson ever did that...or will Jackson and Sharpton ever apologize to the Duke School and it's Athletic program?

supercoupe91
04-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Imus is a pussy.

His brittle bones will be six feet under within a couple years...

penchief
No, they fired him because of:

A. the public outcry

B. the pulling of ads from mega companies like P&G

Your obsession with Sharpton is mystifying.

First off, I have no obsession with Sharpton. If you knew anything about me you would know that I have always defended Sharpton. I feel betrayed for my defense of him. My obsession is with his hypocicy.

Eh, people go to prison for life every day because of one dumb mistake. Imus isn't going to prison and his life isn't ruined - he simply lost his job. He will learn from this and move on.

You're right about one thing. Imus will move on. But that still doesn't justify the gross hypocricy of people like Sharpton.

Garcia Bronco
So if I made a joke about hispanics doing my yard work, and out of the 12 guys doing the work one was white, my joke would no longer be considered racist? Interesting logic.

Are we going to fling horrible analogies that aren't the facts at hand? I guess it would depend on what you said. I would imagine in the end the hispanics wouldn't care and continue to do their work and get paid. Then forget about you as soon as they left.

eazyb81
04-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Imus is a pussy.

His brittle bones will be six feet under within a couple years...

Are you sure he's not dead already?

He certainly has a face for radio.

supercoupe91
04-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Get out with this crap that it wasn't a racist statement.

Nappy haired? You ever heard of a white person referred to as nappy? Does it sound like a positive statement?

Get out with that weak sauce.

Garcia Bronco
04-12-2007, 04:05 PM

Nappy haired? You ever heard of a white person referred to as nappy? Does it sound like a positive statement?

Yes...many times...ever been to a Dead or Phish show....ever been white and had dredlocks? Knappy hair is knappy hair.

Garcia Bronco
04-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Are you sure he's not dead already?

He certainly has a face for radio.

See...now you are acting in the same way Imus did on his radio show...making fun of the way someone looks or the way you perceive someone looks. Is that right?

Halfcan
04-12-2007, 04:06 PM
I am white and I was offended the first time I heard it that day. The comments were completely uncalled for and went way over the line.

Well I am more offended that a million africans will die of starvation and aids in the time it takes all this to blow over, then worrying about a basketball teams feelings. Jesse and Al could have raised tons of relief money with the effort they put into this silly cause.

I am sure all of those girls have talked tougher smack than that on the court plus its not like their faces were put in every paper with the lable of "Rape" under them like Duke.

Sticks and Stones-get over it already.

Halfcan
04-12-2007, 04:07 PM

pretty sure nappy was a black word to start with

Garcia Bronco
04-12-2007, 04:08 PM
pretty sure nappy was a black word to start with

for shizzle

KcMizzou
04-12-2007, 04:09 PM
A radio station fired its longtime morning DJ Wednesday after he encouraged listeners to repeat talk-show host Don Imus' racially charged comments in an on-air contest.

Gary Smith told WSBG-FM listeners to call and say "I'm a nappy-headed ho" for Tuesday's "Phrase that Pays" contest, said Rick Musselman, executive vice president of station owner Nassau Broadcasting Partners L.P.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070412/ap_on_re_us/imus_imitator_fired_4

FAX
04-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Methinks CBS was perhaps a little miffed at Imus anyway due to his continual demeaning of Katie Couric whom he called a "yappy little mouse".

FAX

Baby Lee
04-12-2007, 04:10 PM

You wanna split hairs [no pun intended], the fact that nappy refers to the distinction between African-Americans with 'natural'/fuzzy/unkempt hair, and African-Americans with straightened/managed/neat hair, it's not racist it at all. The distinction is intra-racial, not interracial.

So there. :p

supercoupe91
04-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Yes...many times...ever been to a Dead or Phish show....ever been white and had dredlocks? Knappy hair is knappy hair.

LOL, well yes I have...Alpine Valley.

And that word comes from slavery, not a "black word" to start with.

Black women have to get their hair relaxed and straightened constantly.

Conversation over, Imus made a racist statement and now he's gone.

He can focus on his coke/alcohol addictions now.

memyselfI
04-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Methinks CBS was perhaps a little miffed at Imus anyway due to his continual demeaning of Katie Couric whom he called a "yappy little mouse".

FAX

That and CBS wants to keep the story on Imus to deflect from Katie's little plagiarism problem. :hmmm:

Joe Seahawk
04-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Looking back on when I, was a little nappy headed boy (you nasty boy)

Garcia Bronco
04-12-2007, 04:13 PM

Really...comes from slavery? I don't believe that? Where did you get that info?

penchief
04-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Holy shit. Whitlock is on Tucker Carlson defending Imus.

Mark that down as something I thought I'd never see.

eazyb81
04-12-2007, 04:16 PM
See...now you are acting in the same way Imus did on his radio show...making fun of the way someone looks or the way you perceive someone looks. Is that right?

I don't give a flying f#ck about Imus nor am I making these comments out loud in a public setting at work.

penchief
04-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Holy shit. Whitlock just equated Sharpton and Jackson to fire-starters and that CBS should not negotiate with terrorists.

Stewie
When, instead of pounding small people/issues, will Al and Jesse crusade for a powerful, meaningful, non-racial issue that gives hope to everyone instead of their parochial views? Answer: When there's money in it.

Chief Henry
Well I am more offended that a million africans will die of starvation and aids in the time it takes all this to blow over, then worrying about a basketball teams feelings. Jesse and Al could have raised tons of relief money with the effort they put into this silly cause.

I am sure all of those girls have talked tougher smack than that on the court plus its not like their faces were put in every paper with the lable of "Rape" under them like Duke.

Sticks and Stones-get over it already.

Can I get an AMEN from the CON-gra-GAAAAATIONNNN.

FAX
04-12-2007, 04:18 PM
The term is derived from the word "nap" as in the nap or surface texture of cloth.

Not related to slavery.

FAX

eazyb81
04-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Are we going to fling horrible analogies that aren't the facts at hand? I guess it would depend on what you said. I would imagine in the end the hispanics wouldn't care and continue to do their work and get paid. Then forget about you as soon as they left.

Horrible analogy? What's so horrible about it? I think it's correlates perfectly with what you're defending as a non-racist comment.

Furthermore, I didn't ask if the hispanics would care or not - I asked if it would be a racist comment.

eazyb81
04-12-2007, 04:21 PM

That's as lame as bitching about a cop giving you a speeding ticket because he should be out getting rapists and murderers. Not one person has claimed this is a life-altering event, but AGAIN, he made a ridiculous stupid statement and he paid for it. Period. End of story.

Baby Lee
04-12-2007, 04:21 PM

adjective informal (of a black person's hair) frizzy. ORIGIN late 15th cent.(in the sense [shaggy] ): from Middle Dutch noppigh, Middle Low German noppich, from noppe (see nap 2 ). The current sense dates from the early 20th cent.

Online Etymology Dictionary:
"downy," 1499, from nap (n.). Meaning "fuzzy, kinky," used in colloquial or derogatory ref. to the hair of black people, is from 1950.
Also, I think people bringing in dredlocks are getting nappy mixed up with natty.

Stewie
04-12-2007, 04:26 PM
I remember back when Imus hosted an MTV or VH1 video show. Sade was big back then. When her video "Hang on to your love" was over, he commented that it should be "Hang on to your lips." He's always been that way.

Halfcan
04-12-2007, 04:28 PM
That's as lame as bitching about a cop giving you a speeding ticket because he should be out getting rapists and murderers. Not one person has claimed this is a life-altering event, but AGAIN, he made a ridiculous stupid statement and he paid for it. Period. End of story.

My point was- If Jesse and Al have all this power to sway the ignorant masses- why are they not using it for good instead of just to get their names in the paper.

Halfcan
04-12-2007, 04:29 PM
"Yappy little mouse"

Now that really offends me as a white male!

Garcia Bronco
04-12-2007, 04:30 PM
I don't give a flying f#ck about Imus nor am I making these comments out loud in a public setting at work.

You're still holding him to a standard you won't keep ...work...public...doesn't matter.

Garcia Bronco
04-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Horrible analogy? What's so horrible about it? I think it's correlates perfectly with what you're defending as a non-racist comment.

Furthermore, I didn't ask if the hispanics would care or not - I asked if it would be a racist comment.

Your analogy was: If I made a racist statement...would it be racist?

What do you think?

Mr. Kotter
04-12-2007, 04:47 PM
....Whatever the case, you can't say something stupid as a public figure in society today. Unless you're the president, of course....
Presidents also get to commit perjury, obstruct investigations, commit adultery....and point into our faces and bold face lie to us, again and again.

And that's all just fine and dandy. Talk about irony.... :shake:

Mr. Kotter
04-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Holy shit. Whitlock just equated Sharpton and Jackson to fire-starters and that CBS should not negotiate with terrorists.

You go, Gates-boy...yeah, Jason. ROFL

Baby Lee
04-12-2007, 04:55 PM
The 'horror' of your analogy is that it presumes a racist remark. you say 'a joke about hispanics.' GB's stance was that nappy-headed hos could've been a race neutral remark. To counter his stance, your analogy should have been.

"So if I make a joke about tanned sweaty mean doing my yard work and out of the 12 guys, half are hispanic and naturally tan, and half are white guys with suntans, my joke would no longer be racist?"

Garcia Bronco
04-12-2007, 05:05 PM
The 'horror' of your analogy is that it presumes a racist remark. you say 'a joke about hispanics.' GB's stance was that nappy-headed hos could've been a race neutral remark. To counter his stance, your analogy should have been.

"So if I make a joke about tanned sweaty mean doing my yard work and out of the 12 guys, half are hispanic and naturally tan, and half are white guys with suntans, my joke would no longer be racist?"

I would say it's not racist because the subset of the tanned group contains multiple races.

Basileus777
04-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Imus wasn't innocent in this, but I don't think he should have been fired either. But its all about advertisers. If established, contracted advertisers are walking away from Imus, then they had no choice but to fire him.

LTforMVP
04-12-2007, 05:10 PM
I would say it's not racist because the subset of the tanned group contains multiple races.

So if I said Chiefs fans are a bunch of uneducated toothless white trash honky rednecks whose women are dirty pasty cracker whores that wouldnt be a racist statement because there is bound to be one black Chiefs fan for which my statement doesn't apply.

Chief Henry
04-12-2007, 05:19 PM
So if I said Chiefs fans are a bunch of uneducated toothless white trash honky rednecks whose women are dirty pasty cracker whores that wouldnt be a racist statement because there is bound to be one black Chiefs fan for which my statement doesn't apply.

You could record it and let urban radio play it all day long.

Baby Lee
04-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Why do you continue to conflate nappy and less ambigious epithets? Do you just not get the point?

white, honky, pasty, cracker - unambiguous
tanned, nappy - ambiguous

FTR - I'm not advocating the position that nappy doesn't raise racial antenna, I'm explaining the distinction.

My position is that people need to rise to a level of self-esteem that remarks like these, if/when made without malice, just roll off their backs.

Never once did Imus' remarks spark any predeliction in me to have animus or scorn for these girls. . . Like I've said before, comedy is pain. People all over are making Paris Hilton jokes, each running the risk of appearing callous if something horrible actually happened to her. You make a joke about drunken teens, you run the risk of someone hearing you who lost a teenage child to drinking. Chris Rock jokes about his job as a parent being 'keeping her off the pole' and he runs the risk of an audience member having a tragedy in his/her life where they lost a child to stripping and drug use. You make fun of any custom, culture, stereotype, you run a risk.

But this shit is gonna stifle genius. Keep it up and all you have to laugh about is the absurdity of Gilligan's Island and the quality of airline food.

Garcia Bronco
04-12-2007, 05:29 PM

You have qualified the statement with "white" ...Again...you presume the Knappy refers to only black people. Which isn't the case since white people can have knappy hair.

Baby Lee
04-12-2007, 05:32 PM
In the course of reading takes on this issue, came across this;
http://www.zmag.org/Sustainers/Content/2005-05/25wise.cfm
That many whites won't be able to understand this simple point is testimony to nothing so much as our own sense of entitlement. In other words, we are not used to anyone telling us that we can't do something, or shouldn't, and as such take great offense when our own freedom, including the freedom to offend, is constrained.
What else can explain the white hysteria over so-called political correctness, which, after all, was really never anything but the desire for folks not to be racist pricks, and to inculcate a norm of civility and respect for persons different from oneself?
I can think of no other reason than the desire to maintain a certain form of white privilege: the privilege of saying whatever we want, whenever we want, and feeling as though our right to lecture others on their behavior should logically take precedence over controlling our own.

WTF? Freedom of speech is a white privilege? I don't like people telling what I [or anyone else] can and can't say because I'm an American, not because I'm whitey. That's some dangerous stuff, albeit from a nobody.

Chief Henry
04-12-2007, 05:44 PM
When Al Sharpton says "this is only the beginning"

Who do you think he's referring to?

LTforMVP
04-12-2007, 05:47 PM
You have qualified the statement with "white" ...Again...you presume the Knappy refers to only black people. Which isn't the case since white people can have knappy hair.

The phrase was "white trash". Its a slur that is attributed to people of mixed races just as often as nappy is referring to someone other than a black person.

I understand that a very small amount of white people wear dreadlocks and would describe their own hair in that manner, but the two white girls on the team certainly don't wear their hair this way.

penchief
04-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Why do you continue to conflate nappy and less ambigious epithets? Do you just not get the point?

white, honky, pasty, cracker - unambiguous
tanned, nappy - ambiguous

FTR - I'm not advocating the position that nappy doesn't raise racial antenna, I'm explaining the distinction.

My position is that people need to rise to a level of self-esteem that remarks like these, if/when made without malice, just roll off their backs.

Never once did Imus' remarks spark any predeliction in me to have animus or scorn for these girls. . . Like I've said before, comedy is pain. People all over are making Paris Hilton jokes, each running the risk of appearing callous if something horrible actually happened to her. You make a joke about drunken teens, you run the risk of someone hearing you who lost a teenage child to drinking. Chris Rock jokes about his job as a parent being 'keeping her off the pole' and he runs the risk of an audience member having a tragedy in his/her life where they lost a child to stripping and drug use. You make fun of any custom, culture, stereotype, you run a risk.

But this shit is gonna stifle genius. Keep it up and all you have to laugh about is the absurdity of Gilligan's Island and the quality of airline food.

Or you make a commercial with sharks discussing how tasty a surfer was and you get backlash from the families of shark attack victims.

I agree with you.

penchief
04-12-2007, 06:07 PM
When Al Sharpton says "this is only the beginning"

Who do you think he's referring to?

I don't think he's referring to anyone specifically. I think that he's looking at his own potential influence when it comes to censoring America.

Garcia Bronco
04-12-2007, 06:14 PM
The phrase was "white trash". Its a slur that is attributed to people of mixed races just as often as nappy is referring to someone other than a black person.

I understand that a very small amount of white people wear dreadlocks and would describe their own hair in that manner, but the two white girls on the team certainly don't wear their hair this way.

A) White trash refers to white people...If I got angry about you calling me that...it would be because it must be try. I would be more offended in you called me a Chief Fan. :)

B)Nappy refers to hair and since...all of us have hair it would be insane to claim that it refers to a particular race. Anyone can have knappy hair

C)If you took a census on the number of dreadlocked white people I would be impressed. Since I doubt you have, it's a less than...shall we say...genuine claim.

D)Again...he said team....not black woman on the team. There is a difference. He was talking about the subset of the woman on the team...not the sunset of black woman on the team.

Coach
04-12-2007, 06:19 PM
F**k. The Terrorists won. :shake:

penchief
04-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Imus is no saint and that is why this was so easy to do after he crossed the line one too many times...

that being said, to dismiss the double standard here is ridiculous. I completely understand how races and ethnic groups feel they can label and insult themselves in ways that are not open and available to those outside their race or ethnicity.

However, when you have corporations and artists making LOTS of money selling the bi-products of those sorts of insults and labels while simultaneously presenting such as being a viable part of pop 'culture' then you CANNOT pretend those outside that circle are being offensive repeating those same things in similiar terms. Even if it was repeated in an out of line fashion and in a context that was inappropriate.

I apologize for not reading this before but you're exactly right. It's like blaming the river for the sewage being dumped into it. Imus never would have said those specific words if they weren't concocted and approved at some level by the status quo. They certainly weren't expressions used by our racist forefathers.

dtebbe
04-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Imus will be on Sirius by the end of the year. You heard it here first.

It's just amazing to me that a white comedian can't make fun of black people, yet Black comedians have carte' blanche' when it comes to making fun of white folks.

There is a fat black chick on a black station here in atlanta that bags on white men & women non stop during the morning show. Don't hear anyone asking for her head on a plate do you?

I agree with Imus, most of those chicks looked like nappy headed hoes. Sometimes you just have to call it like you see it.

DT

Oh Snap
04-12-2007, 06:30 PM
to bad...

alanm
04-12-2007, 06:36 PM

I used to watch him in the early mornings on the tube when I got up at that time. I haven't watched him in a few years though. I don't feel too sorry for him. He's got oodles of $$$ and he can now retire to his ranch in New Mexico. Or go national on satellite and offend anyone he likes.

penchief
04-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Imus will be on Sirius by the end of the year. You heard it here first.

You may have predicted it first but I hoped it out loud first in another post while being the first to predict that CBS would follow MSNBC and fire Imus. /JBC.

It's just amazing to me that a white comedian can't make fun of black people, yet Black comedians have carte' blanche' when it comes to making fun of white folks.

That's true. I think the difference is the subjugation factor. And that also contributes to the overall offensive nature of words (how words are stated). It seems like it's always been fair game to make fun of the way someone looked or their pronunciation of the English language (even if they belonged to a differnt ethnic background).

It's only when the intention is to degrade or subjugate does the issue become one of social importance, IMO.

There is a fat black chick on a black station here in atlanta that bags on white men & women non stop during the morning show. Don't hear anyone asking for her head on a plate do you?

I'd have to give her the same consideration I'm giving Imus. I'd have to hear it in it's original context to make a decision on whether to condemn her as a human being, or not.

I agree with Imus, most of those chicks looked like nappy headed hoes. Sometimes you just have to call it like you see it.

DT

You had me up until this point. You made excellent points and then ruined it by trying to force funny.

ROYC75
04-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Imus said it right, I'll be damned.......don't talk to me about justice, these basturds were out to get me, well, they got me .

04-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Well, I think this is going to have a backlash that.....many black entertainers and musicians--and record labels, are not gonna be too happy about.

I would be thrilled if that were the case but it won't happen that way.

Al and Jesse will scream censorship when they start trying to clean up the entertainment industry.

Mr. Kotter
04-12-2007, 07:36 PM
I would be thrilled if that were the case but it won't happen that way.

Al and Jesse will scream censorship when they start trying to clean up the entertainment industry.
This has pissed off a WHOLE lot of people.....not because they necessarily like IMUS, and they certainly DO NOT defend what he said.

However, the hypocrisy of the whole situation is mind-boggling. The double-standard they are attempting to invoke here will not stand....hip-hop and popular culture are going to undergo a withering shitstorm for the next few months, at the very least. Even Jason Whitlock has it figured out. Damn.

04-12-2007, 07:37 PM
This has pissed off a WHOLE lot of people.....not because they necessarily like IMUS, and they certainly DO NOT defend what he said.

However, the hypocrisy of the whole situation is mind-boggling. The double-standard they are attempting to invoke here will not stand....hip-hop and popular culture are going to undergo a withering shitstorm for the next few months, at the very least. Even Jason Whitlock has it figured out. Damn.

I dreamed a dream...

penchief
04-12-2007, 07:52 PM
for shizzle

You're a regular Don Imus.

Chieftain58
04-12-2007, 08:05 PM
He was friggin joking, unlike Sharpton(#2 racist in America behind Louis Farrakahn) and Jackson(an Adulturous preacher) that are hypocrites from the bottom of the sludge pit. I don't care about Imus but look at him smile when he said it... and there are white gals on the team too, why be so friggin anal about a comment made in jest!

In 1969, Sharpton was appointed by Jesse Jackson as youth director of Operation Breadbasket, a group that focused on the promotion of new and better jobs for African-Americans.

In the Tawana Brawley case, a 15-year-old black girl was found smeared with feces, lying in a garbage bag, her clothing torn and burned and with various slurs and epithets written on her body in charcoal. Brawley claimed that she had been assaulted and raped by six white men, some of them police officers, in the town of Wappingers Falls, New York.

Attorneys Alton H. Maddox and C. Vernon Mason joined Sharpton in support of Brawley. A grand jury was convened; after seven months of examining police and medical records, the jury determined that Brawley lied about being assaulted by the police. Sharpton, Maddox and Mason accused the Dutchess County prosecutor, Steven Pagones, of being one of the perpetrators of the alleged abduction and rape. The three were successfully sued for slander and ordered to pay $345,000 in damages, the jury finding Sharpton liable for making seven defamatory statements about Pagones, Maddox for two and Mason for one.

Sharpton has launched a "big-time" effort to tear down Illinois Sen. Barack Obama as a candidate for president

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Sharpton (http://)

memyselfI
04-12-2007, 08:13 PM
FTR, I'm more upset about what he said to Contessa Brewer as a collegue than I am about what he said about the BB team. Clearly, if he should have been fired it should have been for the on air harrassment and then insulting of a coworker ON AIR.

http://brazosportnews.blogspot.com/2005/04/imus-co-bludgeon-contessa-brewer.html

penchief
04-12-2007, 08:30 PM
FTR, I'm more upset about what he said to Contessa Brewer as a collegue than I am about what he said about the BB team. Clearly, if he should have been fired it should have been for the on air harrassment and then insulting of a coworker ON AIR.

http://brazosportnews.blogspot.com/2005/04/imus-co-bludgeon-contessa-brewer.html

That's the part I was hoping would go away if he survived. But I guess it finally caught up with him. But the other part of what he did (the really good part) is going to be sorely missed by me. I was hoping he could come back and take his show to a new level. I was hoping that he'd have a show that displayed more respect but still followed that gut feeling.