PDA

View Full Version : Indian Food (dot not feather)

jiveturkey
04-13-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm a big fan of the local Indian restaurants and have been for years but every time I eat it I shit like I just got infected with the Ebola Virus.

Does anyone else experience this and has anyone ever actually been to India? I'm guessing that the country as a whole smells like an Oklahoma outhouse in August.

Hammock Parties
04-13-2007, 09:00 AM
I know one thing: I enjoy a good colorful shit.

jiveturkey
04-13-2007, 09:01 AM
How about 4 or 5 colorful shits?

I may have recently shat away my own liver.

NewChief
04-13-2007, 09:01 AM
It doesn't tear me up nearly as bad as Thai. I had a nice dal soup and samosas last night.

jiveturkey
04-13-2007, 09:02 AM
It doesn't tear me up nearly as bad as Thai. I had a nice dal soup and samosas last night.Samosas are top notch. Pakoras are another treat I can't avoid.

Saulbadguy
04-13-2007, 09:02 AM
The food they cook in India is nothing like the food they cook here.

The food they cook here is much milder, and they use a ton more lard here (Ghee). It's very unhealthy.

But, regardless, the entire country does smell like an outhouse for various reasons.

eazyb81
04-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Hot wings tear me up enough - I figure I would die if I ate Indian food.

Phobia
04-13-2007, 09:07 AM
I love Indian food. My wife does not. So I generally only get lunch buffets and they're rather disappointing, especially for the money they get.

In that regard I kinda miss Houston. They a couple of Indian places I really liked and I never questioned the value of their product. Maybe I'm just getting old and cheap.

Oh, back to the original question - yes, I'm sure that country does smell like an Oklahoma outhouse. Has anybody ever smelled an Indian woman's forehead? Betcha you didn't know about the Dirty Patel, did you?

Skip Towne
04-13-2007, 09:07 AM
The food they cook in India is nothing like the food they cook here.

The food they cook here is much milder, and they use a ton more lard here (Ghee). It's very unhealthy.

But, regardless, the entire country does smell like an outhouse for various reasons.
You should get a whiff of South Korea.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-13-2007, 09:09 AM
I enjoy the Indian place in Topeka. The lunch buffet has a good variety.

Baby Lee
Hot wings tear me up enough - I figure I would die if I ate Indian food.
Not all Indian is spicy hot. Curry dishes, chutneys, yes.
But many more are just savory. Palak Paneer is like creamed spinach with squares of soft cheese, delicious.

Phobia
I was getting all excited about the Dirty Patel thing. I thought I made it up. Turns out I'm not so original afterall.

Hammock Parties
You should get a whiff of South Korea.

Were you in South Korea? Tell us a war story.

Hammock Parties
I was getting all excited about the Dirty Patel thing. I thought I made it up. Turns out I'm not so original afterall.

I was highly amused by it. It was pretty good.

Saulbadguy
04-13-2007, 09:10 AM
It was chuckle-worthy.

Saulbadguy
04-13-2007, 09:10 AM
I enjoy the Indian place in Topeka. The lunch buffet has a good variety.
I'm moving right next door to the owner of that place. When I say right next door, I mean right next door..in the same duplex.

Hammock Parties
04-13-2007, 09:11 AM
I tell you what I like is Naan bread. You can't get that shit at the supermarket. I mean, they have shit labeled "Naan bread," but it's nothing like the stuff you get in the restaurants. Or maybe I just don't know how to properly prepare the stuff. Either way, getting hitched to an Indian gal has crossed my mind. Buddhism isn't so bad and those people know how to party, too.

Hammock Parties
04-13-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm moving right next door to the owner of that place. When I say right next door, I mean right next door..in the same duplex.

When I was a JW we used to call on Indian people all the time. Their houses were THICK with the stench of fine Indian food. I loved it.

Phobia
04-13-2007, 09:12 AM

I'm sure there's a Jewish and Indian joke there somewhere. In any case, there goes the neighborhood.

Phobia
04-13-2007, 09:13 AM
I was highly amused by it. It was pretty good.

Perhaps but I thought I was coining something. I wanted to give myself rep until I googled it. Now I'm just disappointed.

Saulbadguy
04-13-2007, 09:13 AM
I'm sure there's a Jewish and Indian joke there somewhere. In any case, there goes the neighborhood.
I was married to a Hindu girl once. She died, and was re-incarnated in to a higher caste, and my mother still did not approve.

Baby Lee
04-13-2007, 09:14 AM
I tell you what I like is Naan bread. You can't get that shit at the supermarket. I mean, they have shit labeled "Naan bread," but it's nothing like the stuff you get in the restaurants. Or maybe I just don't know how to properly prepare the stuff. Either way, getting hitched to an Indian gal has crossed my mind. Buddhism isn't so bad and those people know how to party, too.
You gotta find the right restaurant, for St. Louisans, World Foods in Kirkwood has GREAT frozen Naan.

Phobia
04-13-2007, 09:15 AM
You gotta find the right restaurant, for St. Louisans, World Foods in Kirkwood has GREAT frozen Naan.

He'd have to leave his mother's basement first.

That joke is so old that's still amusing. It will forever have legs, kinda like "a bowl of anti-freeze".

NewChief
04-13-2007, 09:16 AM

I've yet to find a good source around here. Popadans and samosas are no problem, but naan isn't to be found.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-13-2007, 09:18 AM

Stick it to em with StickUps!

The Franchise
04-13-2007, 09:21 AM
You should try Ethiopian food......holy God! I didn't shit right for 3 days.

NewChief
04-13-2007, 09:24 AM

Heh. That was probably because one of the people you ate with didn't wash their hands well last time they dropped the kids off at the pool.

We used to hit up an Ethiopian place in Boulder pretty often. One of our friends was so disgusted by the entire method of eating there that she walked out about halfway through the meal. I love it, though.

Skip Towne
04-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Were you in South Korea? Tell us a war story.
I got really drunk one night and went up to 50 Won Hill. I got laid. You should go to 50 Won Hill.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-13-2007, 09:51 AM
I got really drunk one night and went up to 50 Won Hill. I got laid. You should go to 50 Won Hill.

I'm sure the Army didn't approve of two GIs making the beast with two backs in a foxhole...

Skip Towne
04-13-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm sure the Army didn't approve of two GIs making the beast with two backs in a foxhole...
I don't know anything about that but you apparently do.

The Franchise
04-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Heh. That was probably because one of the people you ate with didn't wash their hands well last time they dropped the kids off at the pool.

We used to hit up an Ethiopian place in Boulder pretty often. One of our friends was so disgusted by the entire method of eating there that she walked out about halfway through the meal. I love it, though.

The way they eat is a little odd....but who cares. I thought the food was great.

BIG_DADDY
04-13-2007, 10:12 AM

I really want to try Ethiopian food. I drove allt he way to Bezerkely to try one that is supposed to be really good and they were closed for no apparent reason. Damn communists.

I know Indian food should be done in small quantities because it is so rich and that is what messes you up. That's why they have all the all you can eat places. What is it about Ethiopian food that does that to you, the heat?

The Franchise
04-13-2007, 10:16 AM
I really want to try Ethiopian food. I drove allt he way to Bezerkely to try one that is supposed to be really good and they were closed for no apparent reason. Damn communists.

I know Indian food should be done in small quantities because it is so rich and that is what messes you up. That's why they have all the all you can eat places. What is it about Ethiopian food that does that to you, the heat?

I think it was just the fact that I'm your normal typical American. I'm used to the fatty foods and everything of that nature. I wasn't used to their spices and everything that comes with it.

It was awesome food though....don't get me wrong.

BIG_DADDY
04-13-2007, 10:22 AM
I think it was just the fact that I'm your normal typical American. I'm used to the fatty foods and everything of that nature. I wasn't used to their spices and everything that comes with it.

It was awesome food though....don't get me wrong.

I really like Indian food. I don't think people realize just how rich it is though. Curry shouldn't mess you up. MOF yellow curry is being used in the homeopathic treatment of cancer and is supposed to be awesome for you.

Skip Towne
04-13-2007, 10:28 AM

Ethiopian food must not have many calories judging by the Ethiopians I've seen.

Dave Lane
04-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Last time I went the food was so hot I got blisters on my lips and tongue.

Dave

Dave Lane
04-13-2007, 10:43 AM

Hmmm diet food?

Dave

Iowanian
04-13-2007, 10:47 AM

I'd make a joke about Tonto Goldberg but I fear I'd lose my radio show.

Indian food doesn't sound like anything I'd even want to try.

The Franchise
04-13-2007, 10:51 AM

I think it might be the fact that you spend the next three days in the bathroom.

Skip Towne
04-13-2007, 10:59 AM
I think it might be the fact that you spend the next three days in the bathroom.
That makes me want to rush right out and try it.

BIG_DADDY
04-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Last time I went the food was so hot I got blisters on my lips and tongue.

Dave

Like the blisters were from the food. ROFL

KC Kings
04-13-2007, 11:05 AM
There is an Ethiopian place at the City Market that I keep wanting to try, but nobody else I work with wants to try it.

Arun's Tai Palace in Kansas City is very good food. It is the only Tai I have ever had, but I really like it and as the regular dishes are not too hot. The last time we went I got the Phad Tai and asked for it in a medium, which is supposed to be jalapeno hot. It was a little hotter than jalapeno but the heat is different than Mexican food. For me, Mexican food burns my mouth then burns again on the way out. Tai food is hot in your mouth, but it also warms up your belly and can feel it travelling all the way through the digestive tract.

Ecto-I
04-13-2007, 11:12 AM
I'm actually of Indian decent (1st gen American born in KC), so I grew up on South Indian food. I always enjoy taking my friends out to get Indian food.

Indian food though does seem to disagree with some people's stomachs. It tends to be pretty spicy and is obviously totally different than typical American or Euro cuisine.

Most restaurants here actually serve predominantly North Indian food because they actually have dishes containing meat. South Indian cuisine is actually much less popular because everyone in South India is vegetarian, but IMO almost as good.

Frazod
04-13-2007, 11:15 AM

I love Ethiopan food. In particular, there is one restaurant in Chicago, about four blocks south of Wrigley on Clark Street, called Mama Desta's Red Sea Restaurant, that I've been eating at for nearly 20 years now. Wonderful food. But while I still love it, as I've grown older it has started to hate me, more and more each year. Let's just say that bathroom visits into the next day or so tend to be rather.... unpleasant. :spock:

But I still brave the traffic, Wrigleyville freaks of nature and the explosive aftereffects at least once a year.

Ecto-I
04-13-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm a big fan of the local Indian restaurants and have been for years but every time I eat it I shit like I just got infected with the Ebola Virus.

Does anyone else experience this and has anyone ever actually been to India? I'm guessing that the country as a whole smells like an Oklahoma outhouse in August.

I've been twice and am going again for a couple weeks this summer. Interestingly, the smell isn't too bad. The smell in Mexico is much worse. I've never been sick from the food there, although I did take precautions such as not drinking tap water, eating any uncooked "food stand" food etc. I didn't eat any meat when I was over there (mostly because its pretty much unavailable in South India), so that meant I was pretty safe from food poisoning.

The biggest thing about the air is the gasoline pollution because of the ridiculous amount of people everywhere.

Frazod
04-13-2007, 11:17 AM
And I love Indian and Thai - those are probably my two favorite cuisines. Japanese (either sushi or hibachi grill) is right up there as well.

Ecto-I
04-13-2007, 11:19 AM
I love Ethiopan food. In particular, there is one restaurant in Chicago, about four blocks south of Wrigley on Clark Street, called Mama Desta's Red Sea Restaurant, that I've been eating at for nearly 20 years now. Wonderful food. But while I still love it, as I've grown older it has started to hate me, more and more each year. Let's just say that bathroom visits into the next day or so tend to be rather.... unpleasant. :spock:

But I still brave the traffic, Wrigleyville freaks of nature and the explosive aftereffects at least once a year.

I LOVE Ethiopian food! Luckily, eating all this Indian food growing up has trained my digestive tract and given me an iron stomach.

BIG_DADDY
04-13-2007, 11:23 AM
And I love Indian and Thai - those are probably my two favorite cuisines. Japanese (either sushi or hibachi grill) is right up there as well.

We have similar taste for sure. I eat Japanese and Thai all the time. Indian cuisine not quite as much. I love French cuisine but I just don't eat much do the $$$$$ involved. I like Italian as well.

Natty_Light_Man
04-13-2007, 11:24 AM
There are a bunch of good indian food resturants in KC, at leat 5 that I have ate at.. StL only has maybe 2 or 3.

Frazod
04-13-2007, 11:29 AM
I LOVE Ethiopian food! Luckily, eating all this Indian food growing up has trained my digestive tract and given me an iron stomach.

My stomach is still iron. It's everything after that where I have issues now.

Getting old sucks. :(

Baby Lee
04-13-2007, 11:30 AM
There are a bunch of good indian food resturants in KC, at leat 5 that I have ate at.. StL only has maybe 2 or 3.
House of India on Delmar, just of I-170 is heaven on earth. Eat there at least once a month.

www.hoistl.com

Frazod
04-13-2007, 11:32 AM
We have similar taste for sure. I eat Japanese and Thai all the time. Indian cuisine not quite as much. I love French cuisine but I just don't eat much do the $$$$$ involved. I like Italian as well.

I definitely don't have the cash to piss away eating overexpensive Frog food, although it certainly is good. There is a little crepe place in Wheaton that I visit occasionally.

As for Italian, my wife is Italian and her family is Italian, and all they ever want to eat is..... Italian. At this point, I'm pretty much sick of it.

Fish
04-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Taj Mahal at 75th and Wornall is pretty darn good. I lunch there often.

BIG_DADDY
04-13-2007, 11:33 AM
My stomach is still iron. It's everything after that where I have issues now.

Getting old sucks. :(

We used to do fried jalapeno eating contests at a mexican food place here. They thought we were some crazy ass gringo's. I have piped down since those days but can still do the heat. What I can tell you is this. I will never eat 13 jalepeno's again.

BIG_DADDY
04-13-2007, 11:37 AM
I definitely don't have the cash to piss away eating overexpensive Frog food, although it certainly is good. There is a little crepe place in Wheaton that I visit occasionally.

As for Italian, my wife is Italian and her family is Italian, and all they ever want to eat is..... Italian. At this point, I'm pretty much sick of it.

ROFL That would probably do it for me as well. Tell you the truth Italian food here locally has taken a dive. You really have to search out a good place now. 90% of our restaurants here are Chinese or Mexican now. I make my own taco's all the time and am not real big on Chinese. Mexican's and Chinese are taking over this area.

Natty_Light_Man
04-13-2007, 11:41 AM

You need to take a trip to STL for Italian(St. Louis Hills) my oh my are there some top notch Italian restaurants - I only found one restaurant I would remotely call decent Italian cuisine in KC... Rosati's
Bravo's is not bad....

Frazod
04-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Chinese seems to be pretty much the ass-end of Oriental cuisines. I love Mongolian beef, but that's pretty much the only Chinese dish I order, and I'm pretty leery about trying new Chinese places. Bad Chinese food is pretty much the worst thing you can eat.

StcChief
04-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Indian Food (dot not feather)
ROFL

and N_L_M is right. STL "The Hill" south off US 40 (I-64) and between Grand and Hampton bordered by Southwest ave. on the south

Or Down south to St.Louis Hills GREAT Italian rest.s

Hammock Parties
04-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Indian food doesn't sound like anything I'd even want to try.

Do you like chinese food?

BIG_DADDY
04-13-2007, 11:49 AM
You need to take a trip to STL for Italian(St. Louis Hills) my oh my are there some top notch Italian restaurants - I only found one restaurant I would remotely call decent Italian cuisine in KC... Rosati's
Bravo's is not bad....

Even our nice places are not as nice anymore and the prices certainly haven't went down. One place in San Mateo I really like but I might as well go to a French restaurant it ois so expensive. Another is still good called Cappellini's. It's the one time I eat veal. They have a 32oz veal chop that is out of this world. Usually do carpaccio then some radiccio salad for an appetizer with red wine then go after the chop. With cocktails and me bringing the wine it's still running over $100.

BIG_DADDY
04-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Chinese seems to be pretty much the ass-end of Oriental cuisines. I love Mongolian beef, but that's pretty much the only Chinese dish I order, and I'm pretty leery about trying new Chinese places. Bad Chinese food is pretty much the worst thing you can eat.

We have an awesome Chinese place out here. All the most recent presidents have eaten there. My favorites

Whole fried fish with spicy garlic sauce deboned
Peking Duck
Fried crab in XO sauce

I'm not really into typical Chinese dishes. Maybe a little mushu pork now and then. My dog freaks for pot stickers though. I'm not sure what his problem is I just wish we had never given him any.

Natty_Light_Man
04-13-2007, 11:56 AM
In st. louis, just ask for directions to the hill, there are some places better than others but there are at least 10 great choices within 2 miles of each other....

Rain Man
04-14-2007, 07:50 PM
I went to India on vacation in 1989. It was a very interesting place - kind of like discovering an entirely new civilization. Everything was done about 75 degrees differently than I was used to, so everything I saw was interesting.

When I went, the travel magazines advised against eating anywhere except western hotels. We were advised even against buying water on the street, because the little street urchins made money by refilling empty bottles and then resealing the caps. The only thing that I ever bought outside the hotels was soda, because I could open it myself and check the fizz.

My one prevailing memory of the food was that we were at some site in Bombay, and we walked by this outdoor street grill kind of place that was absolutely disgusting - flies, decades of grease, just plain disgusting. Our guide, a pretty sophisticated and polished middle-aged woman, pointed us in the right direction and then nodded back at the grill and said that she was going to stop for "a bite of lunch". Seriously, words cannot describe this place. I was shocked that she was still standing when we met up again.

India's a fascinating country, though. Just fascinating. I'd love to go back and spend more time there.

Iowanian
04-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Do you like chinese food?

Some of it....

Indian sounds too much like Saul's "delicious" humus....It looked and tasted like Baby diaper pudding.

StcChief
04-15-2007, 08:19 AM
Dot not Feather Indian food if you really need to be good and cleaned out.

takes less than 3 hours.

It wrecks me....

tiptap
04-15-2007, 08:41 AM
House of India on Delmar, just of I-170 is heaven on earth. Eat there at least once a month.

www.hoistl.com

Their food got better when the Indian restaurant further east near the courthouse/police went out of business. I don't know whether they hired the cook or stole the recipes but there was a definite uptick in the food.

My lament was the lost of the N. Indian restaurant near Cox South in Springfield. I didn't find a better Indian restaurant in England. Now admittedly I didn't look for the signature locations in London so I'm sure I missed better.

But I am unfamiliar with Indian locations in KC area. What are recommendations there?

Stewie
04-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Taj Mahal at 75th and Wornall is pretty darn good. I lunch there often.

That used to be my favorite place until Korma Sutra opened on Metcalf. They now have a second restaurant in Westport. Great food.

Frazod
04-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Some of it....

Indian sounds too much like Saul's "delicious" humus....It looked and tasted like Baby diaper pudding.

So basically, if it wasn't grown, slaughtered or field dressed in Iowa, you hate it. We got that. :)

chagrin
04-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Not all Indian is spicy hot. Curry dishes, chutneys, yes.
But many more are just savory. Palak Paneer is like creamed spinach with squares of soft cheese, delicious.

"You know, it's the only country that still has the plague? I mean, the plague! Please!"

Hammock Parties
04-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Some of it....

If you like chinese food you'll probably like most indian food. Try some Chicken Korma.

cdcox
04-15-2007, 12:04 PM
A few years ago I was at a meeting and ended going out to dinner with some Indian colleagues. They had asked around to find the best Indian restaurant in the area. They recommended that I try the biryani. That was one of the most delicious meals I have ever had.

Hammock Parties
04-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Mmmm.
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/2487/ethnicgourmetchickenkorhs3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

NewChief
04-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Chinese was mentioned in this thread, and I thought I'd get the Planet's opinion. I'm not usually one for chain restaurants, preferring local fare, but I really dig PF Changs as far as Chinese food goes. I know it's trendy and becoming ridiculously popular, but the food is pretty damned good. What do others think about it?

cdcox
04-15-2007, 01:13 PM
Chinese was mentioned in this thread, and I thought I'd get the Planet's opinion. I'm not usually one for chain restaurants, preferring local fare, but I really dig PF Changs as far as Chinese food goes. I know it's trendy and becoming ridiculously popular, but the food is pretty damned good. What do others think about it?

I always think it is a little overpriced for Chinese. I typically walk away from a chinese meal completely satisfied for $6 - $7.

Hammock Parties
04-15-2007, 01:44 PM
This thread inspired me. I had vegetable pakodas, butter chicken, shahi gosht korma, chicken vindaloo, dal makhini and naan.

Frazod
04-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Mmmm.
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/2487/ethnicgourmetchickenkorhs3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Chicken Tikka Masala, one of my favorite dishes (minus the f#cking peas, of course).

Phobia
04-15-2007, 01:51 PM

I've been pimping that place for a while. To call it Chinese is a stretch but it obviously has strong Chinese influences.

Slick32
04-15-2007, 02:04 PM
I've been to India, but to say it smells like an outhouse would be giving it a compliment. The whole outdoors is a public restroom. You turn your back and piss on the street. If you need to take a dump you squat on the street.

The food there sucks. If you have to go there for a short time take plenty of stuff you can eat so you don't die. I'm not kidding, the food is terrible. Take your own salt and pepper. If you drink diet soda it isn't called diet there it's called lite.

Best bet is not to go.

Baby Lee
04-16-2007, 08:32 AM
If you like chinese food you'll probably like most indian food. Try some Chicken Korma.
I've never understood comparing Indian to Chinese. Chinese is stir fried, fast crisp. Indian is stewed, slow tender. Chinese sauces are straightforward, white, brown, Szechuan, Sweet/Sour, and serve to compliment the meats and vegetables. Indian sauces are complex and a the meats and vegetables are the compliment to them.

Saulbadguy
04-16-2007, 08:38 AM
I've never understood comparing Indian to Chinese. Chinese is stir fried, fast crisp. Indian is stewed, slow tender. Chinese sauces are straightforward, white, brown, Szechuan, Sweet/Sour, and serve to compliment the meats and vegetables. Indian sauces are complex and a the meats and vegetables are the compliment to them.
I agree - Indian is nothing like Chinese. If I would compare Indian to anything i'd say Ethiopian.

However, you can gauge someones interest in trying Indian if they like Chinese or not. If they do not like Chinese - they are probably just steak and potato kind of people and would not like anything like that.

Hammock Parties
04-16-2007, 12:38 PM
If they do not like Chinese - they are probably just steak and potato kind of people and would not like anything like that.

Exactly.