PDA

View Full Version : Marshall to be new WSU Coach? Answer should come today.

HemiEd
04-14-2007, 08:03 AM
http://www.kansas.com/240/story/44325.html

Winthrop's Marshall meets Schaus, players
BY PAUL SUELLENTROP AND BOB LUTZ
The Wichita Eagle

Associated Press
Winthrop coach Gregg Marshall has led the Eagles to the NCAA Tournament seven times in nine seasons. Marshall was in Wichita on Friday to meet with Wichita State athletic director Jim Schaus and the members of the basketball team. Winthrop basketball coach Gregg Marshall stood in the Koch Arena locker room and addressed Wichita State's players for about 20 minutes Friday afternoon.

He soon may address the Shockers as their coach. Marshall, according to a report by CBSSportsline.com, is poised to accept WSU's contract offer.

However, a source in the WSU athletic department said the report of a salary that "could approach nearly $1 million" is too high.

WSU president Don Beggs and athletic director Jim Schaus did not return multiple messages seeking comment. Marshall did not return a message left on his cell phone.

Marshall, according to the report, will give WSU an answer within 24 hours starting Friday afternoon. The report said he will take the job "barring a last-minute change of plans."

According to the Rock Hill (S.C.) Herald, Marshall was expected to return to Rock Hill today. Marshall and wife, Lynn, flew to Wichita on a private jet provided by Wichita State. Marshall toured Koch Arena with Schaus on Friday.

WSU paid Turgeon, who left for Texas A&M this week after seven seasons, $750,000 in his final year at WSU. He received a raise from $460,000 after taking the Shockers to the Missouri Valley Conference title and the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament in 2006.

Marshall, 44, earns $225,000 at Winthrop. A contract extension in the works may bump him up to $300,000-$400,000. He is 194-83 in nine seasons. His 2007 team went 29-5, 14-0 in the Big South, and defeated Notre Dame in the NCAA Tournament.

Friday, he met with WSU's returning players on a cold and rainy day. He told them he watched the Shockers on TV, and he impressed them with his enthusiasm and sincere interest in the job. The WSU players in the meeting said Marshall did not mention a job offer.

"My impression was really good," WSU junior Matt Braeuer said. "He told us he doesn't have a magic potion to win games. He believes in the old-school kind of way -- blood, sweat and tears. Those are the words he used."

Marshall owns a reputation as a charismatic coach and a sharp dresser who favors pin-striped suits.

"You can tell he has a way with words," WSU junior Lance Harris said.

After hearing Marshall, the Shockers are ready to move on from the disheartening loss of Turgeon and find a new coach to follow.

"Obviously, it was good," Braeuer said. "As players, we haven't really talked about it much yet because nothing is official. Hopefully it will be because we all like him."

Recruits on hold -- Junior college forward Ramon Clemente and Dallas Spruce High guard Kevin Busby-Hayden visited Wichita State last weekend, unaware of Texas A&M's seduction of Turgeon.

Both liked WSU. Both were close to committing. Now both are undecided.

Clemente, from Paris (Texas) College, said he likes enough about WSU that he will listen to the next coach. He and WSU junior P.J. Couisnard are sending text messages as the coaching situation plays out.

"P.J.' s cool," Clemente said. "As long as I've got someone like that on my page, I'm good. Maybe if they get a good coach, it could happen."

Clemente said his cell phone rang with calls from coaches so much over the weekend he took the battery out. He may visit Syracuse.

When WSU hires a coach, he wants to meet him and decide if it's a good fit.

"The athletic director (Schaus) told me to keep my head on straight and be patient," Clemente said. "Wichita State was my No. 1 pick before. Now I don't have a No. 1 pick."

Spruce High coach Lyndon Love said Busby-Hayden will visit Texas A&M-Corpus Christi this weekend and wants to make a decision by Wednesday. He, too, liked WSU enough to listen to the new coach.

"He was really interested," Love said. "This kind of puts a cloud on everything. He was ready to commit."

Busby-Hayden was named to the Class 4A All-Region team and All-Area second team by the Dallas Morning News. He averaged around 15 points a game.

"He can really shoot," Love said. "He's just tough to guard."

Skip Towne
04-14-2007, 08:28 AM
:ZZZ:

HolmeZz
04-14-2007, 08:41 AM
Why would he go from one mid-major to another?

pr_capone
04-14-2007, 08:56 AM

"Marshall, 44, earns $225,000 at Winthrop. A contract extension in the works may bump him up to $300,000-$400,000"

A shot at nearly doubling his yearly income I'm sure has something to do with it.

HolmeZz
04-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Yeah, but I think he's been in consideration for some of the bigger conference jobs. I dunno why he'd now to decide to jump.

WilliamTheIrish
04-14-2007, 10:31 AM
"Marshall, 44, earns $225,000 at Winthrop. A contract extension in the works may bump him up to $300,000-$400,000"

A shot at nearly doubling his yearly income I'm sure has something to do with it.

Sportsline had it different. Said Marshall was already making 400k. Also said WSU offered an insane $1 million per.

WilliamTheIrish
04-14-2007, 10:33 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10125473

Braincase
04-14-2007, 10:36 AM

More money, and he wouldn't have to change remove any of the W's from his monogrammed clothing.

Skip Towne
04-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Scott Sutton is making $150,000 and he turned them down.

Scaga
04-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Funny thing is another "Sutton" would love to have a chance...
Daddy.

WilliamTheIrish
04-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Sounds like Marshall has accepted the position. 1mil per. Press conference at 1:30

HemiEd
04-15-2007, 04:39 AM
Sounds like Marshall has accepted the position. 1mil per. Press conference at 1:30

This is good news! Now go get some players!

Desire for more brings Marshall to Wichita State
BY KIRK SEMINOFF
The Wichita Eagle

Kelly Glasscock
Gregg Marshall speaks at a press conference Saturday afternoon in Koch Arena after he was introduced as the new men's basketball coach for Wichita State. Winthrop's basketball team won 29 games and the Big South Conference title last season, but when it came time for the NCAA Tournament selection committee to assign the Eagles a seed, they were given a No. 11.

It opened Gregg Marshall's eyes.

Marshall, who took Winthrop to seven NCAA Tournaments in nine seasons, accepted the offer to become Wichita State's basketball coach today partially because he felt the need to get to a more-prominent program.

"The history that you have here is something that I'm aware of," Marshall said. "The support that you have here is something I'm very cognizant of, and we can aspire to new heights."

Athletic director Jim Schaus introduced Marshall at a news conference this afternoon at Koch Arena. An unsigned contract calls for a seven-year deal for $750,000 plus incentives annually -- the same base salary former coach Mark Turgeon made in his final year before leaving this week for Texas A&M.

"I'm ready for that first individual workout, I'm ready for that first practice," Marshall said. "I'm like a kid at Christmas, and I want to see what kind of presents are under the tree."

Friday, after a tour and meeting with WSU players in Koch Arena, Marshall spent the night in Wichita but had not given Schaus an answer. Marshall told Schaus this morning and at about 11, WSU media relations officials informed reporters of a 1:30 p.m. news conference.

"I have been given a whirlwind tour in one of the worst weather conditions you could possibly imagine and we did it all with a smile on our face," Marshall said. "We felt very welcome here."

Marshall said he plans to return to Rock Hill, S.C., this evening to meet with his players.

"Nine years, blood, sweat and tears," Marshall said of Winthrop. "That's what we put into that program for nine years. We took it a long way. We had a lot of great players, guys that had NBA shots.... My family and I's decision to make the break. And we've had some pretty touchy phone conversations with people we care dearly about."

Coincidentally, WSU and Winthrop will be part of an eight-team field at the late-November Paradise Jam in the Virgin Islands. There's no bracket set yet.

Marshall said he'll start recruiting immediately, implying that he would be re-recruiting the commitment of Texas junior college big man Brandon Sampay this weekend.

"We need to be patient. We are trying to keep some recruits," Schaus said. "We are going to be recruiting some new people. But excellence is never just about one season."

Marshall, who was 194-83 at Winthrop, has been courted my many schools before. He took the College of Charleston job in the summer of 2006 only to back out a day later, and already this offseason had been courted by South Florida, New Mexico and Arkansas.

Marshall, 44, earned $225,000 at Winthrop. A 10-year contract extension had been discussed that would've put him in the $300,000 to $400,000 range.

Winthrop was 29-5 last season and beat Notre Dame in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

One of Marshall's assistants at Winthrop is Paul Molinari, who was an assistant for WSU's Scott Thompson from 1994-96 before Thompson's forced resignation. Marshall said one, maybe two, of his assistants would come with him to WSU, but would not specify which one.

"I need to get some guys who have more (recruiting) strengths in this area," Marshall said.

the Talking Can
04-15-2007, 06:44 AM
great hire for WSU, you could argue he's better than Turgeon, and he's better than whoever that gym teacher is they hired at KSU....

KCChiefsMan
04-15-2007, 10:01 AM
he's a damn good coach

ChiefaRoo
04-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Skip, I like you like this.... with your mouth shut.

Great hire for WSU.

WilliamTheIrish
04-15-2007, 03:37 PM
Skip, I like you like this.... with your mouth shut.

Great hire for WSU.

Your AD did a helluva job, 'Roo. That's a shiteload of money. So much that he couldn't turn it down.

Thumbs up for you Shox fans.

Skip Towne
04-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Was this guy earning at large bids or just getting in the Dance by winning that shitty little conference? Shut the f*ck up, loser.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-15-2007, 06:46 PM
great hire for the Shockers...I think this will take you higher that the Turd ever did.

HemiEd
04-15-2007, 08:45 PM
great hire for the Shockers...I think this will take you higher that the Turd ever did.

The outlook looks much brighter today than it did a week ago, that is for sure.

Skip Towne
04-15-2007, 08:51 PM
The outlook looks much brighter today than it did a week ago, that is for sure.
If you are happy, I'm happy. I'm sure you guys will be a powerhouse post haste. I've seen it before.

ChiefaRoo
04-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Scott Sutton is making $150,000 and he turned them down.

As I've told you before Skip never underestimate the lack of common sense and overall decision making capability of an Okie.

I love what Turg did for WSU but this hire could be an overall improvement if he can recruit better than Mark.

HemiEd
04-16-2007, 08:17 AM
As I've told you before Skip never underestimate the lack of common sense and overall decision making capability of an Okie.

I love what Turg did for WSU but this hire could be an overall improvement if he can recruit better than Mark.

I don't think it will take too much to recruit better than Turgeon, that was not his strong suit IMO. He should have better luck with a big budget like aTm's.