PDA

View Full Version : Nfl draft=baseball draft

Eric
04-14-2007, 01:24 PM
These players are asking for more and more in the top 5 and I don't see an end to it. This all stinks of baseball and signability issues.

A better system would be to ban all big guaranteed contracts and bonuses to rookies. It would be better for the Nfl. Players would show up on time and be more productive for the opener.

I know that the teams can choose not to sign but it just seems wrong that no one without any track record can ask for more than a probowler(Last years draft Tight end got more than TG).

These problems cascade and are driving the stadium issues too.

Mecca
04-14-2007, 01:28 PM
NFL teams don't have the disparity if spending money baseball teams do.......

Also NFL picks start in the NFL right away while some top baseball picks never make it, apples and oranges.

Also the lifespan if an NFL players career isn't long if you are in a position to get a big deal you should do all you can to get it rookie or not. NFL contracts aren't guarenteed like baseballs are........

Eric
04-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Big signing bonuses are guaranteed.

I was just listening to Clayton on Espn radio and he said the Trent G deal will be done a week before the draft and called Peterson a good negotiator, he also said that the Raiders are now interested in the G.Tech receiver but the asking price may be too high-$50 million. This makes me think of Houston not taking R.Bush and going with the D-end.

Sully
04-14-2007, 01:37 PM
I'd prefer to see the slotting that the NBA has. I know there is slotting for rookies, but you have to wait till a couple of the guys sign to figure the slots.

If I'm right, in the NBA there is a predetermined amount for each pick.

It would seem to be easy to get the player's association to pass this, as no rookies belong yet, and it would, ostensibly, leave more money for the vets who would be voting.

Mecca
04-14-2007, 01:39 PM
If I was the #1 pick I'd want alot of money......I'd want more than the guy from the year before because the cap goes up every year.

You have to think about yourself as a player, in the end the teams don't care about you, if you blow out a knee and you're done they aren't gonna take care of you, you have to look out for #1 in contract talks.

UteChief
04-14-2007, 01:41 PM
I think there needs to be a rookie salary cap. No more mortgaging your future on a rookie that may not pan out, a la ryan sims. And I don't see why these players are going to make millions of dollars when they are unproven. Or make millions more than pro bowlers.

Mecca
04-14-2007, 01:45 PM
The reason it will never change is because the NFL's contracts are not guarenteed like other sports. You can get out from under a contract if you need to notice the Lions and Charles Rogers....

Also consider the playing length of average NFL players career, that is why they don't change these things. Sure the NBA slots, NBA players usually see 3 and 4 contracts NFL players generally see 1 or 2.

Alot of NFL players already think they got a raw deal with their contracts not being guarenteed and other sports are, I highly doubt they'd be ok with taking more money out of their game.

chief2000
04-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Nba slotting system would be a great start. I was going to post that. You preempted me. They can still get their big contract just like in the Nba after they prove that they can play.

Injuries don't always hurt you in the draft. RB Willis Mcghee was taken by the Bills in the first round.

htismaqe
04-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Like Mecca said, apples and oranges.

SBK
04-14-2007, 03:43 PM
If you can ask your employer for a ton of money, and they'll give it to you, would people complain about your desire for a raise, or the company's willingness to give it to you?