PDA

View Full Version : JoPo: Opening holes and his heart

SPchief
04-16-2007, 01:46 AM
Opening holes and his heart
Will Shields is saying goodbye, he’s retiring from pro football, and the lasting image for me will be one otherwise forgettable and cold Sunday more than six years ago. That was the day I watched Will Shields on every single down.

The football game was meaningless — a December dud between two teams that would finish with losing records. An icy wind swept through Arrowhead Stadium. The stands were half empty. Nobody could score. Nobody cared either. It was a day for hot chocolate and defensive linemen.

I spent that entire day watching Will Shields, one of the best offensive linemen who ever blocked in an NFL game. Yes, everybody knows about Shields’ general brilliance — his 12 consecutive Pro Bowl appearances, his Outland Trophy at Nebraska, his NFL Man of the Year award, his 223 consecutive starts and all that. And I would imagine that most people have, at some point or other, turned away from the action, focused the binoculars on Shields for a play or two and watched him flatten some overzealous linebacker.

“Yep,” they might say, “Will Shields is still crushing people.”

And feeling secure and reassured, they could turn back to the football game.

Will Shields for all these years played the Chiefs’ quiet and unnoticed protector, sort of like the Jack Nicholson character in “A Few Good Men” (“You want me on that wall. You need me on that wall”). It was different when you watched him play for an entire game. A whole other game opened up. He was playing left tackle that day because of a series of injuries — he had not played left tackle in a game since high school. Most of the time, he was facing off against a big and fast defensive end named Jay Williams. Sometimes, though, a monstrous defensive tackle would come Shields’ way. And every so often, he lined up against Reggie White, one of the best defensive ends ever.

They couldn’t beat him. They tried to go around him. They tried to cut inside him. They spun, and slapped, and tried to slip up and under. They even tried to go through him (a pointless move). They pushed him after the whistle blew, and talked to him between plays. They couldn’t beat him. He allowed one tackle. He gave up no sacks.

It was as inspiring as anything I’ve ever seen on a football field. Will Shields — playing out of position in a pointless game on a freezing day in front of a nothing crowd — would not let himself get beat. This wasn’t about locker-room speeches or big contracts or the roar of the crowd. No, this was about the same challenge every one of us faces every day. This was about doing something as well as you can because, well, what else is there?

That’s how Will Shields played football for 14 seasons. On the field, he was driven to drive every block, pick up every blitz, make every adjustment. He was intense and angry — in the moments after games you could still see the rage in his eyes.

“Football,” he said softly and from a safe distance, “is a violent game. We are violent men.”

Away from the field, though, he had no violence in him at all. When he was selected NFL Man of the Year, I tried to list every wonderful thing he did in the community — a list that would have included donating 10,000 books to Argentine Middle School, providing a computer lab for The Children’s Place, creating a library at St. Monica’s School, raising money for SAFEHOME for battered women and children, raising more than $300,000 for Operation Breakthrough and so on and so on. I had to stop then. I have to stop now. The newspaper simply does not have enough room.

“Don’t forget,” he said in an interview then, “I was the soft, pudgy kid in school that everyone made fun of.”

That background drove him to become both a good football player and a good man. He made it. The last few years, you could see that the football beatings had worn him down. Shields lived in pain, and each offseason he considered retiring. Each time, though, he told himself, “One more year,” and he answered the bell, played with the same precision and power that will get him a bust in Canton someday very soon.

This year, though, he realized that the fight was over. He’s 35. It’s time.

“Today, I’m letting everyone know that I am putting away the pads,” he wrote on his Web site.

His retirement note was short and classy, like the man. The title of the note was “Thank You Kansas City,” and it was typed in Chiefs red and punctuated with three exclamation points.

Isn’t that funny? He was thanking us. But we’re the ones who watched him play and change people’s lives. And Will should know that there aren’t enough exclamation points in the whole Midwest to thank him.

http://www.kansascity.com/180/story/72014.html

BigRock
04-16-2007, 01:58 AM
Great stuff. Reading it, I find the story that PFT posted about Will doing this as a ploy to get more money to be incredibly insulting. I know a lot of people here don't put stock into that site, and rightfully so, but a lot of people do, unfortunately. And those who don't know Will are going to get the impression from that story that he's the sort of guy who would do something like that.

Really distasteful. :shake:

Direckshun
04-16-2007, 02:02 AM
Best G ever. You heard it here.

So long, Will.

Direckshun
04-16-2007, 02:14 AM
http://media.scout.com/media/player/521071_shields300.jpg

BigMeatballDave
04-16-2007, 02:23 AM
I will be in Canton for his HOF induction.

Bob Dole
04-16-2007, 06:10 AM
www.willtosucceed.org

Red Dawg
04-16-2007, 06:34 AM
Who's the best of all time can be debated back and forth forever but no one should ever say that anyone was actually better than Shields. Maybe equal but definitely not better. He's one of the greatest persons and player to play football.

InChiefsHeaven
04-16-2007, 06:57 AM
God Bless ya Will. You gave me soooo many years of bragging rights, first as a Husker and then as a Chief.

TrickyNicky
04-16-2007, 07:07 AM
Great write-up. It was always reassuring to know that Shields would be on the line game in and game out.

Its rediculous how much time and attention is devoted to grade-A dirtbags like TO, Moss, Pacman, etc. And yet Sportscenter gives a great person and player like Will Shields 10 seconds of air-time, most of it so Kenny Mayne can crack a joke about his announcing it on his website.

PunkinDrublic
04-16-2007, 07:19 AM
Thank ya Joe for sayin what needed to be said :deevee:

crazycoffey
04-16-2007, 07:55 AM
Good one, Jo, about a great one!

Hammock Parties
04-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Makes you wonder how last season would've turned out if Shields had been the LT.

InChiefsHeaven
04-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Makes you wonder how last season would've turned out if Shields had been the LT.

Same results. I don't know that poor play at LT was the ONLY reason we went 9-7 and looked like a bunch of friggin' Pop Warner kids in the playoffs. We all recognized that our man Will was slowing down a bit, even over the last 2 seasons.

Having said that, he's one of the greatest Chiefs to ever don the Red and Gold. Certainly the greatest in recent memory.

Ecto-I
04-16-2007, 02:22 PM
His retirement note was short and classy, like the man.

Classy, yes, but short??? Will Shields is 6-3!

noa
04-16-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm glad JoPo sat on this story about watching Shields play LT until Shields' retirement. Its a great story to tell when summing up his career.

Hammock Parties
04-16-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm glad JoPo sat on this story about Shields playing LT until Shields' retirement. Its a great story to tell when summing up his career.

Uh...he didn't.

Direckshun
04-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Great write-up. It was always reassuring to know that Shields would be on the line game in and game out.

Its rediculous how much time and attention is devoted to grade-A dirtbags like TO, Moss, Pacman, etc. And yet Sportscenter gives a great person and player like Will Shields 10 seconds of air-time, most of it so Kenny Mayne can crack a joke about his announcing it on his website.
To say nothing of the Right Guard cracks.

noa
04-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Uh...he didn't.

He told this story before?

Hammock Parties
04-16-2007, 04:30 PM
He told this story before?

It's common knowledge that Shields subbed at LT previously in his career.

noa
04-16-2007, 04:41 PM
It's common knowledge that Shields subbed at LT previously in his career.

I realize that JoPo wasn't the only person in the universe to notice that Shields played LT that day. That wasn't what I was saying.
The storyline that I enjoyed was JoPo just watching Shields the entire game and finding such a great reward in doing that. I'm glad that JoPo did that, but saved the story until an important moment like this.

Raiderhater
04-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Adam Schefter should take notes.