PDA

View Full Version : Interview followup question....

penguinz
04-16-2007, 09:24 AM
I applied for a job and had my second interview week. I was told by the person that would be my boss that he planned on making the decision the end of last week.

How long should I wait to contact them about the decision made?

Phobia
04-16-2007, 09:26 AM
You should probably pitch a tent in his front yard. Not only will if tell him that you're serious about the job, it will give the two of you the opportunity to bond.

penguinz
04-16-2007, 09:27 AM
You should probably pitch a tent in his front yard. Not only will if tell him that you're serious about the job, it will give the two of you the opportunity to bond.
He did not seem like the camping type.

Phobia
04-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Okay, then maybe you can invite yourself in to sleep on his couch.

Phobia
04-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Do not drink all his beer if he lets you in. You should leave him half a bottle or so.

penguinz
04-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Okay, then maybe you can invite yourself in to sleep on his couch.
That is an idea. I am sure his couch would be more comfortable than the bed I have right now.

Any serious suggestions?

pr_capone
04-16-2007, 09:30 AM
You could also sleep with his wife... show him that you really like his family and are a team player that is willing to do anything for the job.

Seriously tho... about 3-5 days I would call and do a follow up.

Demonpenz
04-16-2007, 09:31 AM
think about what you would do. Then do the exact opposite

acesn8s
04-16-2007, 09:32 AM
You could also sleep with his wife... show him that you really like his family and are a team player that is willing to do anything for the job.

Seriously tho... about 3-5 days I would call and do a follow up.A real team player would sleep with the boss.

stlchiefs
I'd give him today to call you back, since he said he was making the decision at the end of last week, give him a day or so to call. I'd call before or after lunch tomorrow. It's always a fine line, you don't want to seem pushy and impatient, but you do want to come of as eager and proactive for the position.
Good luck Penguinz.

kepp
Do not drink all his beer if he lets you in. You should leave him half a bottle or so.
But avoid backwash.

penguinz
04-16-2007, 09:34 AM
think about what you would do. Then do the exact opposite
I am not George Costanza.

stlchiefs
04-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Full Disclosure: I currently am still searching for my own summer employment, so take my advice for what it's worth as I haven't landed myself a job yet. :)

KC Kings
04-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Did you send a thank you letter to them? I always feel fake and cheesy sending thank you letters, but in the last 5 years I have had 6 interview, sent thank you letters to all of them, and every one of them has offered me a job.

StcChief
04-16-2007, 09:47 AM
2nd interview. Did you ask for the job? Send a letter thanking them. Are you competing for other positions (other interviews) They will likely let you know.

I would call after a week. Sometimes their decision date slips.

Dave Lane
04-16-2007, 10:01 AM
I'd check in today. Let him know you are still interested and would welcome the opportunity.

Dave

Dunit35
04-16-2007, 10:18 AM
I have two interviews on friday. Academy sports and Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart called me at 10 a.m yesterday. They are the first company to actually call both my references and both the numbers I gave them.

Edit: Does Wal-Mart actually give two interviews for a job?

Skip Towne
04-16-2007, 10:23 AM
I'd give him today to call you back, since he said he was making the decision at the end of last week, give him a day or so to call. I'd call before or after lunch tomorrow. It's always a fine line, you don't want to seem pushy and impatient, but you do want to come of as eager and proactive for the position.
Good luck Penguinz.
Good advice. I do everything before or after lunch.

Phobia
04-16-2007, 10:26 AM
I have two interviews on friday. Academy sports and Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart called me at 10 a.m yesterday. They are the first company to actually call both my references and both the numbers I gave them.

Edit: Does Wal-Mart actually give two interviews for a job?

Doubtful. In fact I'd suggest that two interviews are rare except for very high paying and high skill jobs.

Iowanian
04-16-2007, 10:28 AM
I'd suggest calling to remind him you're interested, and possibly indicate you have other possibilities.

It seems like when I was getting put off in the past, they'd offered the position to someone else, who required a day or two to think about it......and was the 2nd in line.

I'm fairly aggressive when trying to get a job...and get offered a high percentage. I haven't looked in a while...but it might be about time to think about it again.

Gonzo
04-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Call today, thank him again for his time and let him know you look forward to meeting with him again. Then send a letter thanking him.

Dunit35
04-16-2007, 10:31 AM
Doubtful. In fact I'd suggest that two interviews are rare except for very high paying and high skill jobs.

Thanks, it was wierd that they called me on a Sunday morning. The Wal-Mart interview is at 9 and the other is at 11. Is it a good idea (if Wal-Mart wants me) to say I have another interview and want to go to that one?

Phobia
04-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks, it was wierd that they called me on a Sunday morning. The Wal-Mart interview is at 9 and the other is at 11. Is it a good idea (if Wal-Mart wants me) to say I have another interview and want to go to that one?

I wouldn't say that. If they present an offer immediately I doubt they'll expect an answer then.

If you have other opportunities you needn't hide them but I'd say you should tread lightly in that area. Employers don't like to feel manipulated by threats of other job offers but they understand that candidates are considering multiple employment opportunities.

I've played two employers against one another in the past and the first offer didn't budge at all. So I took the second opportunity for $10k more and moved to Houston instead of St. Louis. No regrets.

Iowanian
04-16-2007, 10:40 AM
"I appreciate the offer, but I want to let you know that I had already scheduled another interview, and I like to keep my word."

Let them know you're interested, but the same qualities that have you keeping this appointment will be one of the reasons you'll make a good employee for them.

Thats how I roll.

Dunit35
04-16-2007, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't say that. If they present an offer immediately I doubt they'll expect an answer then.

If you have other opportunities you needn't hide them but I'd say you should tread lightly in that area. Employers don't like to feel manipulated by threats of other job offers but they understand that candidates are considering multiple employment opportunities.

I've played two employers against one another in the past and the first offer didn't budge at all. So I took the second opportunity for $10k more and moved to Houston instead of St. Louis. No regrets.

If they even want me, I'll just tell them I had another scheduled for today and need to keep my word (as Iowanian said). Wal-Mart is closer to our apartment now but we're wanting to move closer to her work in August. Academy is actually closer to her work. If they both offered me the same amount I'd take the academy job.