PDA

View Full Version : More Culpepper and Green stuff

Mr. Laz
04-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Posted on Mon, Apr. 16, 2007

http://www.miamiherald.com/614/story/75289.html

DOLPHINS
Another QB scramble for Dolphins

Quarterback Daunte Culpepper will be gone, either via trade or release, as Kansas City's Trent Green is pursued, Dolphins sources said.

The continuing face-lift to the Dolphins roster is about to undergo its biggest nip and tuck yet when quarterback Daunte Culpepper is either traded or released in the coming months.

Even as the Dolphins continue working toward acquiring not one but two quarterbacks before April is out, Culpepper's days with the team have become numbered, according to those within the organization with knowledge of the situation.

The Dolphins are still trying to acquire Trent Green from Kansas City, and although there is no timetable for that to happen, it is likely some movement will happen by the April 28-29 draft.

The Dolphins also hope to pick a quarterback in that draft, with general manager Randy Mueller saying Sunday he believes the 2007 quarterback draft class is, ''a good group,'' and that ``five or six guys are first-day worthy.''

Aside from coveting Notre Dame's Brady Quinn, who likely will not be available when Miami picks at No. 9 in the first round, the Dolphins like Michigan State's Drew Stanton and Stanford's Trent Edwards, although both have durability or injury questions. The Dolphins are also interested in East Carolina's James Pinkney.

The jettisoning of Culpepper has no timetable, although it would be quickened by the Green acquisition. The reasons?

HEALTH AN ISSUE

The Dolphins have no confidence Culpepper will be completely healthy soon. It has been 18 months since he ruptured three ligaments in his right knee while playing for Minnesota and more than four months since he had a second, apparently significant surgery on the knee.

Culpepper was not cleared to participate in the three-day minicamp completed Sunday, and although he is confident he will eventually be healthy, he could make no guarantee he would be ready by the start of training camp in July.

''I expect to be ready when I'm healthy and I feel 100 percent,'' Culpepper said Friday. ``That's when I'll be ready.''

That's a problem for Miami because the team does not intend to wait forever for a healthy starting quarterback.

Culpepper's last game was Oct. 1 against Houston when he went 23 of 39 for 249 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions in a 17-15 loss. He played only four games last season for the Dolphins and was sacked 21 times, a statistic for which his immobility was partially responsible.

Another problem with keeping Culpepper is that his presence would make for a crowded quarterback situation -- one with obvious tension -- if and when Green and a rookie are added.

The Dolphins are likely to try to trade Culpepper before cutting their loses and releasing him, but it is uncertain what, if any, value the player would have on the trade market.

Culpepper is scheduled to count $6.8 million against Miami's salary cap this season. But if the team releases him it will not have to pay his $5.5 million base salary, which would come off the Dolphins' cap number. The Dolphins would still have to pay the prorated portion of his guaranteed money for at least this year and possibly the remaining six years of his contract depending on when they designate him for release.

OTHER CONCERNS

About the only way the Dolphins are likely to stick with Culpepper beyond this offseason is if he enjoys a miraculous return to health in the next few weeks. Such a recovery would give Miami pause about its current plans, although it would not address the issue of locker room harmony with Green and Culpepper eyeing the starting job.

The movement at quarterback is not the only issue Mueller and coach Cam Cameron will address the next couple of weeks.

The team has all but decided to part ways with defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson. His number 95 was given to first-year tackle Chase Page during the weekend minicamp, and there has been no attempt to talk to the player lately.

Mueller said Sunday he was not certain whether Wilkinson wanted to play or not, but the point is probably moot. The Dolphins are likely to try to trade Wilkinson if he decides he wants to play.

They traded him to Denver this offseason, but it was rescinded when Wilkinson did not report for his physical.

The Dolphins also have yet to decide whether to match the offer sheet punter Donnie Jones signed Friday. Jones signed a five-year, $5.585 million offer with the Rams, and Miami has until Friday to match the offer or get a seventh-round pick in return for Jones.

''Cam and I haven't had a chance to sit down and make a decision on that,'' Mueller said. ``We've talked about it for only two minutes before [meeting with the media Sunday.] We'll make that decision in the next couple of days.''

FringeNC
04-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Given the current situation of the offensive line (which Green probably knew of) and our play-calling, I wonder which happened first: Green informing the team that he wanted out or the team informing Green he no longer was wanted.

On a side note, why in the hell did we let Jordan Black leave for peanuts? He was a very capable guard.

Mr. Laz
04-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Given the current situation of the offensive line (which Green probably knew of) and our play-calling, I wonder which happened first: Green informing the team that he wanted out or the team informing Green he no longer was wanted.

On a side note, why in the hell did we let Jordan Black leave for peanuts? He was a very capable guard.
i don't think Black wanted to play guard ..... it would explain why the Chiefs kept moving him outside even though he wasn't quick enough.

Direckshun
04-16-2007, 11:24 AM
How much you want to bet this trade happens on Draft Day?

On every mock I've seen, when JaMarcus is taken by the Raiders, Quinn is gobbled up way before Miami's pick. When the Raiders select Calvin Johnson, Quinn is almost always available by the time the Dolphins pick.

Count on this, if the trade isn't done by Draft Day:

The trade will be done on Draft Day, and what the Chiefs get for Trent depends on who's selected by the Raiders, because if Miami can't draft Quinn, that just about doubles the chances that Trent will be the starter and makes him a more valuable acquisition for the Dolphins.

Eleazar
04-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Boy, what a colossal flameout Daunte Culpepper has had.

FAX
04-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Boy, what a colossal flameout Daunte Culpepper has had.

No kidding, Mr. Cochise. He was the media's golden boy when he came out.

The mighty hath fallen and can't get up.

FAX

Sure-Oz
04-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Cullpepper royally ****ed me last year on FFL, but i won the league anyway, i even lost Mcnabb to injury in a 2 qb starting league....thank goodness for Garcia

Eleazar
04-16-2007, 11:33 AM
No kidding, Mr. Cochise. He was the media's golden boy when he came out.

The mighty hath fallen and can't get up.

FAX

I bet that there will be at least one person stop by and say the Chiefs are stupid for not signing him though, Mr. Fax. Even though his knee ligaments are like uncooked spaghetti noodles.

ct
04-16-2007, 11:35 AM
I do agree this will probably come down to draft day if the Raiders have not already come to terms with Russell, especially if they have come to terms with Calvin. Either way, that most likely indicates that Quinn will NOT fall to Miami (which is a pipe-dream anyway, IMO).

This also might wait until after Miami spends it's 2nd round pick on Stanton or Edwards, then Trent's value drops considerably. I'll bet we'll end up with a 6th this year, and another late round conditional next year.

Mr. Laz
04-16-2007, 11:38 AM
I do agree this will probably come down to draft day if the Raiders have not already come to terms with Russell, especially if they have come to terms with Calvin. Either way, that most likely indicates that Quinn will NOT fall to Miami (which is a pipe-dream anyway, IMO).

This also might wait until after Miami spends it's 2nd round pick on Stanton or Edwards, then Trent's value drops considerably. I'll bet we'll end up with a 6th this year, and another late round conditional next year.

yep .... every Chiefs fan needs to be rooting for QB's to go early and often in the draft.

drives the value of Green up more