04-16-2007, 04:49 PM
http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=115#S=115&F=1837&T=410211

Mecca
04-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Well we have 3 backup DT's now...

bdeg
04-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Good. I checked out the link too.

"With the signing of Reed, that could signal the end of the Chiefs pursuit of Carlolina Panthers defensive end Kris Jenkins."

I'm gonna have to disagree with that. James Reed should be a backup, this doesn't affect us needing a stud DT one bit.

DaFace
04-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Eh, I liked him well enough. I have to agree with Mecca, though - he's really a backup, not a starter.

Mecca
04-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Eh, I liked him well enough. I have to agree with Mecca, though - he's really a backup, not a starter.

That's all our DT's we still don't have starting caliber guys.

Deberg_1990
04-16-2007, 04:58 PM

We havent had any of starting caliber for about 6 or 7 years now....

bdeg
04-16-2007, 04:59 PM

I think Boone can step up and really earn his spot, that has yet to be seen though.

Easy 6
this doesn't affect us needing a stud DT one bit.

Exactly.

Its good for all, every good team needs a few try hard James Reeds on it.

CoMoChief
Boone, Reed, Edwards, are all backup guys.

I'm hoping for a Dante Hall and a 4th rounder (from MIA) /Kris Jenkins and a 5th trade

Direckshun
04-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Everybody's forgetting about Wilkerson. Wilkerson's almost assuredly a DT this year.

I like that we resigned James Reed, but I hate that it probably signals an end to our acquisition of Kris Jenkins.

Dammit, Carl. :(

Mecca
04-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Wilkersons a backup too.........I don't care as long as Sims and Hicks both get cut.

StcChief
04-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Several years of backup grade DT/DEs.

Well If Sims/Jr Savaii hadn't be busts....

damn it Carl. :cuss:

Hoping Boone steps up. Good DT draft for once.

DaFace
04-16-2007, 05:06 PM
This has probably been beaten to death in other threads, but I haven't been around that much lately. Does it bother anyone else, though, that we've signed more special teams players (a K and a LS) this year than we've signed for our offense (an OT). We've been pretty active on defense, but are we eventually going to get some help on the OL or at WR?

Direckshun
04-16-2007, 05:10 PM
For now we have 2 serviceable guys (Edwards, Reed) and 2 fairly good guys (Wilkerson, Boone).

That's four players that are playing quality -- not a drop to mediocrity, but it's not going to propel your defense into the top 5.

With the imminent release of Ryan Sims, things are going to get really interesting.

Because Herm wants four guys in a rotation at DT. That means two are starters, two are rotating in, and whoever's left is a reserve.

So what if we acquire Jenkins? What if we draft Pittcock, Harrell, or Tyler? What if we do both -- acquire Jenkins and use an early pick on DT.

That means we're pushing one or two of those four guys into non-playing reserve status.

Big competition for that 4-player rotation, since everybody's within arm's reach talent of each other, save Jenkins.

And that's how you get players to play better than they are, and that's why Herm is renouned across the league for getting guys to play up and sometimes above their potential, he creates competition.

bdeg
04-16-2007, 05:13 PM
This has probably been beaten to death in other threads, but I haven't been around that much lately. Does it bother anyone else, though, that we've signed more special teams players (a K and a LS) this year than we've signed for our offense (an OT). We've been pretty active on defense, but are we eventually going to get some help on the OL or at WR?

It's no secret Herm loves his defense. And we had some pretty gaping holes on D, whereas IMO we have good players at all positions on the offense with the exception of WR(And LT, but that's why we signed one).

DaFace
04-16-2007, 05:14 PM
It's no secret Herm loves his defense. And we had some pretty gaping holes on D, whereas IMO we have good players at all positions on the offense with the exception of WR(And LT, but that's why we signed one).

I'm more concerned about depth than anything on the line. We've got a serviceable group to start I guess, but if anyone gets hurt we're pretty much screwed.

Mecca
04-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Atleast this likely means we won't take a DT with the first pick.

ChiefsCountry
04-16-2007, 05:15 PM

That is a relief.

Hammock Parties
04-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Mecca, you don't think Boone is a tad bit better than Reed and Edwards?

Direckshun
04-16-2007, 05:19 PM
I bet we still draft one.

Not counting the soon-released Sims, we have 4 DTs, and you need 5 or 6 to field a team for a season.

A trade for Jenkins is sadly unlikely at this point, so where do you throw that draft pick in for a DT?

All four players we have are serviceable, so do we use a late round pick on a DT and hope he pans out, resting easy that if he doesn't we'll have a reserve?

Or do you draft one fairly early and force some serious competition for rotation time?

With our holes on OL and WR, I don't like us taking a DT early anymore, but more of a mid-round selection.

Hammock Parties
04-16-2007, 05:19 PM

Who were we supposed to sign?

Herm wants to get younger on offense. We do that with the young players we have and thru the draft.

Mecca
04-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Mecca, you don't think Boone is a tad bit better than Reed and Edwards?

I still consider him a backup on a quality team........

You NEED 8 lineman 4 ends 4 tackles.........you don't need no 6 dt's on your active roster. Some teams will carry 9 lineman because 1 guy can play both spots but 8 is fine overall which is 4 dt's.

Direckshun
04-16-2007, 05:26 PM
You NEED 8 lineman 4 ends 4 tackles.........you don't need no 6 dt's on your active roster. Some teams will carry 9 lineman because 1 guy can play both spots but 8 is fine overall which is 4 dt's.
Herm likes a rotation of 3 DEs and 4 DTs.

So you need those 7 plus a couple more guys for injuries.

Works out to 9.

CoMoChief
04-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Several years of backup grade DT/DEs.

Well If Sims/Jr Savaii hadn't be busts....

damn it Carl. :cuss:

Hoping Boone steps up. Good DT draft for once.

Siavii wasn't a bust. He was a project and just a terrible pick in the 2nd round when we could have drafted him in the 2nd day sometime.

Logical
04-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Oh yeah we resigned a another mediocre Chief. Lets all get excited.

bdeg
04-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Siavii wasn't a bust. He was a project and just a terrible pick in the 2nd round when we could have drafted him in the 2nd day sometime.
True, but for where he was drafted he was a bust. Guess it depends on how you define "bust."

I have to admit as much as I like Tank Tyler and think he would be a good fit I hope you're right. I wouldn't mind sending something extra to Miami along with Trent for their 2nd. If we don't sign Jenkins I think Tyler would be a good pick there.

*OR, what would you guys think about sending Miami Trent and our 1st rounder for their 2 second round picks(one from NE)? And maybe another pick? I'm not sure how the value charts work out.

bdeg
04-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Did you read any of the posts in this thread? I think we're being pretty realistic.

Frazod
04-16-2007, 05:48 PM

Seriously, Jim, why don't you just find a new f#cking team to root for? Christ. :shake:

Mr. Laz
04-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Everybody's forgetting about Wilkerson. Wilkerson's almost assuredly a DT this year.

I like that we resigned James Reed, but I hate that it probably signals an end to our acquisition of Kris Jenkins.

Dammit, Carl. :(
i want Wilkerson outside

this shouldn't effect any jenkins deal or drafting a DT at all.

the next guy just replaces Ryan Sims.

bdeg
04-16-2007, 05:50 PM
i want Wilkerson outside

this shouldn't effect any jenkins deal or drafting a DT at all.

the next guy just replaces Ryan Sims.

The Chiefs have said that Wilkerson will no longer play both spots and will stay at DT. Although who knows with the looming Allen suspension.

Mecca
04-16-2007, 05:52 PM
The Chiefs will find a way to keep Eric Hicks just watch.......he must blow Carl or have pics of Carl ****ing a sheep or something.

Mr. Laz
04-16-2007, 06:06 PM
The Chiefs have said that Wilkerson will no longer play both spots and will stay at DT. Although who knows with the looming Allen suspension.
and then insisted that Black play Tackle

it's this retarded chit that keeps them from ever being very good.

CoMoChief
04-16-2007, 06:07 PM
True, but for where he was drafted he was a bust. Guess it depends on how you define "bust."

No, a bust has to do with where a person is projected to be drafted.

Siavii was projected in the 4th or even 5th round. You draft players that can start on opening day in the first day and then your projects with potential in the 2nd day. Everyone in the KC war room was high on pot when they drafted Siavii. First, it pissed me off that we traded down that season. 2nd I had never even heard of this guy when we drafted him.

That 2004 draft was just TERRIBLE.

Hammock Parties
04-16-2007, 06:08 PM
They moved Black to guard and then Sampson and Turley got hurt.

CoMoChief
04-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Wilkerson on the outside as a DE

Trade Jared Allen for draft picks

Draft Adam Carriker

HELLO 3-4!!!!!!!!!

bdeg
04-16-2007, 07:16 PM
No, a bust has to do with where a person is projected to be drafted.

Siavii was projected in the 4th or even 5th round. You draft players that can start on opening day in the first day and then your projects with potential in the 2nd day. Everyone in the KC war room was high on pot when they drafted Siavii. First, it pissed me off that we traded down that season. 2nd I had never even heard of this guy when we drafted him.

That 2004 draft was just TERRIBLE.

I know what you're saying but I still don't necessarily agree. To me, a bust is any player who doesn't live up to expectations. Whether that is based on where they're drafted or where they were supposed to be drafted shouldn't matter. The Chiefs had high expectations for him, and he did not come close to living up to them. That's a bust to me.

elvomito
04-16-2007, 07:54 PM
...Everyone in the KC war room was high on pot when they drafted Siaviinah, probably caffeine and minithins. i can just see them and their kneejerk decision... "ooh ooh he's a big ****er" "yeah those samoans kick ass"

TRR
04-16-2007, 07:57 PM
The Chiefs will find a way to keep Eric Hicks just watch.......he must blow Carl or have pics of Carl ****ing a sheep or something.

I don't think we can afford to let go of Hicks right now. I'd put Hicks at RDE (or Wilkerson) and let him have the spot until Jared Allen gets back from suspension. Hicks is a decent sub for a couple of games.

ChiefsCountry
04-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Wilkerson on the outside as a DE

Trade Jared Allen for draft picks

Draft Adam Carriker

HELLO 3-4!!!!!!!!!

We dont have the DTs for a 3-4.

Micjones
04-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Good signing.

This definitely shouldn't end our pursuit of Jenkins, but this was a solid move. We don't have much at that spot and there isn't much available.

Wasn't Randy Starks seeking a trade?

cdcox
04-16-2007, 08:13 PM
James Reed resigns? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

What are we going to do for a DT now??

GC, why did you hyphenate "resign"?

Hammock Parties
04-16-2007, 08:24 PM
GC, why did you hyphenate "resign"?

Because Reed isn't resigning. He's being re-signed.

cdcox
04-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Because Reed isn't resigning. He's being re-signed.

Why not just say "Chiefs again sign James Reed to a new contract once again that was not the same as the contract he played on last season because this is a new one"?

That would help avoid confusion.

Hammock Parties
04-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Why not just say "Chiefs again sign James Reed to a new contract once again that was not the same as the contract he played on last season because this is a new one"?

That would help avoid confusion.

LMAO

Funny...but you don't know how often I've edited sentences that come dangerously close to bearing resemblance to the above.

bdeg
04-17-2007, 03:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2840839&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Reed returns to Chiefs' defense
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

The Kansas City Chiefs on Tuesday afternoon retained a key veteran, re-signing unrestricted free agent James Reed to a three-year contract, a deal that enables the team to keep intact its starting defensive tackle tandem of a year ago.

James Reed
Reed

Kansas City last month re-signed its other starting tackle, Ron Edwards, to a one-year deal. The Chiefs also added veteran unrestricted free agent Alfonso Boone, formerly of Chicago, to bolster a position that was perilously thin at the outset of free agency.

The retentions of Reed and Edwards and the addition of Boone should now provide Kansas City with a viable tackle rotation for 2007. Yet to be determined is the fate of veteran Ryan Sims, the Chiefs' first-round pick in 2002, and a defensive tackle who has been regarded as an underachiever for most of his NFL career.

Financial details of Reed's contract were not immediately available, but it is believed to be worth about $2.5 million-$3 million, including a signing bonus of $200,000.

Reed, 30, is a hard-working, blue-collar player, an undersized interior defender who gets the most out of his abilities, and who has become a favorite of coach Herm Edwards. The two were together for five seasons with the New York Jets, where Edwards made Reed a sixth-round choice in the 2001 draft.

When Edwards took the job with the Chiefs last spring, he pursued Reed in free agency, and the two were reunited in Kansas City when the tackle signed a one-year contract. At the recent NFL owners meetings, Edwards noted the importance of trying to re-sign Reed, if possible.

In his first season in the Chiefs' lineup, Reed started 15 games and registered 42 tackles, one sack, 10 quarterback pressures and five passes defensed.

For his career, the former Iowa State standout has 218 tackles, seven sacks, nine passes defensed and four fumble recoveries. He has appeared in 95 games, with 32 starts.

sedated
04-17-2007, 03:43 PM
the defense played much better with Reed in the middle last year, I woouldn't be disappointed if he was one of the starters.

at least we'll have a better rotation at DT. last year the D didn't have as much consistency because losers like tubby sims saw too much of the field

ct
04-17-2007, 03:47 PM
James Reed did more last year than cRyan Sims has done his whole career. He's an 'effort' player, and you can never have enough of those guys in training camp. Only time will tell who makes the final roster.

Direckshun
04-17-2007, 03:52 PM
The Reed signing I liked. Wilkerson I liked. Boone I liked.

It was Edwards I had mixed feelings about.

kcchiefsus
04-17-2007, 03:57 PM
I don't think we can afford to let go of Hicks right now. I'd put Hicks at RDE (or Wilkerson) and let him have the spot until Jared Allen gets back from suspension. Hicks is a decent sub for a couple of games.

I would rather put Kendrell Bell at DE than Hicks.

Hicks sucks that bad.

bdeg
04-17-2007, 04:28 PM
James Reed did more last year than cRyan Sims has done his whole career. He's an 'effort' player, and you can never have enough of those guys in training camp. Only time will tell who makes the final roster.

He started for us last year, it's not like we're going to resign him to a deal worth 3 mil and then cut him after TC.

greg63
04-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Well we have 3 backup DT's now...

Yup; getting some starters would be nice.