PDA

View Full Version : Deep thoughts by el borracho...

el borracho
04-16-2007, 11:42 PM
I wonder if the offensive linemen who are retiring were the "veteran players" who requested the LJ trade.

I wonder if Welbourne will retire.

I wonder how many offensive linemen we will draft this year.

I wonder whatever happened to the "stockpiling picks" idea.

I wonder if we will trade any of the following players: Green, Wesley, Hall, Allen.

Direckshun
04-17-2007, 12:12 AM
I wonder if the offensive linemen who are retiring were the "veteran players" who requested the LJ trade.
Four are either out or on the verge, and the only guy who seems to have any character issues among them would be Welbourne. I don't know who I'd expect did the complaining.
I wonder if Welbourne will retire.
I'd put money on two more years, and only one more if he doesn't get a starting position.
I wonder how many offensive linemen we will draft this year.
I may be crazy for wanting us to draft 3, but KC's OL has been the pride of the organization and I'd love for us to make a concerted effort to get it there again. Two is the safe guess.

I want us to use five picks total on OL and WR. Then one on CB, maybe another on DE or RB.
I wonder whatever happened to the "stockpiling picks" idea.
That quote comes from the Erroneous One, but that's no doubt Herm's philosophy.

Nonetheless, more and more time has passed and it doesn't seem like we're going to have any more than seven picks for the draft. Maybe eight if Greg Wesley pans out. Nothing for Dante, nothing for Parker, nothing for anybody else.
I wonder if we will trade any of the following players: Green, Wesley, Hall, Allen.
Yes, imminently. Yes, soon. Yes, but who knows when.

And hopefully NO on that last one there.

htismaqe
04-17-2007, 07:36 AM
The "stockpiling" picks thing was also mentioned by Mitch Holthus, it wasn't just Nick.

Furthermore, there's still two weeks until the draft. There's at least 4 players that could be moved next week at the last minute...

BigChiefFan
04-17-2007, 08:36 AM
Trent Green trade is being reported as being imminent. That will give us a draft pick.

Direckshun
04-17-2007, 01:11 PM
The "stockpiling" picks thing was also mentioned by Mitch Holthus, it wasn't just Nick.

Furthermore, there's still two weeks until the draft. There's at least 4 players that could be moved next week at the last minute...
I haven't wanted to ask because I don't want to seem alarmist:

When do these deals typically take place? There have been zero trades for draft picks this offseason by any teams that I've seen. Do they always take place in the last two weeks like this?

bdeg
04-17-2007, 01:44 PM

When do these deals typically take place? There have been zero trades for draft picks this offseason by any teams that I've seen. Do they always take place in the last two weeks like this?

The Pats traded their 2nd and 7th for Welker.

Miami could be waiting to see if Brady Quinn falls to them.

*I guess Welker wasn't exactly traded, he was a RFA.

Iowanian
04-17-2007, 01:49 PM
I think most of the fireworks will start popping during the draft.

Other teams will try to sweat the Chiefs by holding out, hoping they'll be able to get the player in question for less. It'll be up to CP when Miami holds off until after the pick he wants to see what he'll take....

Are Sampson or Svitek options to do any more than fill the roster this year? I don't see either being a threat to be a starter....ever. Sampson is too top heavy and made of glass and Svitek is a project that hasn't made as much flair as a late afternoon sparkler.

bdeg
04-17-2007, 02:15 PM
I think most of the fireworks will start popping during the draft.

Other teams will try to sweat the Chiefs by holding out, hoping they'll be able to get the player in question for less. It'll be up to CP when Miami holds off until after the pick he wants to see what he'll take....

Are Sampson or Svitek options to do any more than fill the roster this year? I don't see either being a threat to be a starter....ever. Sampson is too top heavy and made of glass and Svitek is a project that hasn't made as much flair as a late afternoon sparkler.

I have hope for Svitek. I think he'll be ready in a year or two. We may as well cut Sampson for all I care.

bdeg
04-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Also, has Turley been cut yet? I haven't heard that, but it's gotta happen doesn't it?

Direckshun
04-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Turley more or less retired, I believe.

eazyb81
04-17-2007, 03:44 PM

Yes, generally all deals like this occur close to the draft, and usually on the 1st day. Remember the Surtain trade, it was rumored for months and then finally went down on draft day.

I'm not worried about the Green situation, it will go through eventually. However, we could easily work out a deal for a conditional pick next year, so I wouldn't count on having an extra pick this year.

bdeg
04-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Yes, generally all deals like this occur close to the draft, and usually on the 1st day. Remember the Surtain trade, it was rumored for months and then finally went down on draft day.

I'm not worried about the Green situation, it will go through eventually. However, we could easily work out a deal for a conditional pick next year, so I wouldn't count on having an extra pick this year.

I'd be surprised if the phins want to give a conditional pick because they would expect he's going to start for them next year. He'll get his stats and I don't think Miami is worried about that.

It'd make more sense to me for them to give us a conditional pick depending on how many more years Green plays, but F*** that.

I think if Quinn doesn't fall to them, they make the trade soon after that.

If they get him, they will probably still want Trent, but we won't be able to get nearly as much for him.

htismaqe
04-17-2007, 08:01 PM

Yep.

Green was traded to us the night before the draft.

Hammock Parties
04-17-2007, 08:25 PM

I wonder if that quote was even real. Common sense tells me it probably wasn't.

tk13
04-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Yep.

Green was traded to us the night before the draft.
As was Surtain.

BigChiefFan
04-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Most of the trades are done at or close to the draft. Teams get a better feel for what other teams are going to do and pull the trigger for their needs, so they can focus on the draft for OTHER needs. It's very clear, the Dolphins want Green and he wants to play there. I'm certain a deal will be done right before the draft. Right now Carl is sweating the Dolphins out.