PDA

View Full Version : Planet Golfers.........good purchase/bad purchase?

ChiefsFanatic
04-17-2007, 10:15 AM
I got checked out on a launch monitor.

My swing speed was 87mph on avg. My ball speed was 122mph on avg. My launch angle was all over the place, anywhere from 10.0 to 14.1. My power transfer was about 145, and my side spin was always around 116 to 120, mostly right.

I went ahead and purchased a Callaway FT-3 11* Draw bias driver, with an Aldila NVS 55-R shaft.

I hit a 10* at Dick's with the same shaft. My swing speed was about 84-87 mph. My launch angle was a little low, but the tee was short, and the ball was lower than I would tee it.

I also hit the Cleveland HiBore in a 11.5* loft. The launch angle was better, but overall I hated it.

Yesterday I hit about every driver in the place, and the FT-3 10* was so much better than any of the others.

With all the various drivers, I had a carry of about 190yards on avg. With the FT-3, I was easily getting 210yards of carry, and that was with horrible launch angles.

The saleman, who was a teaching pro, said that without tape on the face, I would get several more yards of carry.

So, I saw a practically brand new FT-3 11* Draw Bias on ebay for $125, and I jumped on it.

Was this a horrible choice? PLEASE let me know what you think.

Redrum_69
04-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Dip them in antifreeze

Ozarks-Chiefs-Fan
i would say that's a pretty good deal for $125. i don't think you would have to much trouble getting most if not all your money back out of it if you end up not liking it.

Skip Towne
Herzig will be along shortly to fill you in on this.

Phobia
04-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Sticks are a personal choice. If you gain distance and confidence from a new stick, it's a good purchase.

Sorry I'm not of more help than that. I used to be a club whore but haven't had new equipment in 5 years.

KCfanfromNC
04-17-2007, 10:33 AM
That is a pretty good price, but the FT-3 is a hard driver to be consistent with in my personal experience. It has great distance like you said, I killed it when I was hitting it, but one thing I found that is when my swing wasn't on, that driver was all over the place and extremely hard to control.

If I were you, I would have checked out the Nike Sasquach. That driver is the best in my opinion. It's nearly impossible to hit bad, it has great launch angles and you can absolutely crush golf balls with it.

crazycoffey
04-17-2007, 11:12 AM
I agree with Phobia's post

It's more important that you are happy with what you are hitting.

I can't wait to get out on the course. Driving range a few times this week and starting my season this weekend.

Enjoy your purchase!

Scaga
04-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Club head speed?
Ball Launch angle?

Played in college and none of this crap meant anything.
When it comes to equipment, people can only give you their (usually biased) opinions.

ChiefsFanatic
04-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Club head speed?
Ball Launch angle?

Played in college and none of this crap meant anything.
When it comes to equipment, people can only give you their (usually biased) opinions.

That's ok. That is kinda what I was looking for.

ChiefsFanatic
04-17-2007, 12:38 PM
That is a pretty good price, but the FT-3 is a hard driver to be consistent with in my personal experience. It has great distance like you said, I killed it when I was hitting it, but one thing I found that is when my swing wasn't on, that driver was all over the place and extremely hard to control.

If I were you, I would have checked out the Nike Sasquach. That driver is the best in my opinion. It's nearly impossible to hit bad, it has great launch angles and you can absolutely crush golf balls with it.

I hit the Nike Sasquatch and the Sumo2. I liked the Sumo2, but I just could not bring myself to pay $250 [ebay] for a Sumo2 in decent shape.

I have read a lot of reviews about the FT-3 and most mentioned some forgiveness. I am already inconsistent with my crappy 3 wood, so this can only be better.

I am sure that I will have to learn to hit it, though.

So, what driver did you settle on? The Nike?

The Franchise
04-17-2007, 12:38 PM
I agree with Phobia.

Go with what makes you comfortable and confident. Plus $125 isn't bad.

Garcia Bronco
04-17-2007, 12:51 PM
I swing around 100.

I use all Nike gear all stiff

460 9.5 SQ Graph - I can't hit it well...but others can :)
2I/5W Slingshot 17 Graph - Tough to hit with
4-5I/9W CPR 26 Graph - Favorite club

-Awesome Iron set recommended

6-AW Nike OSS Slingshot Graph

-Great wedges

Cleveland Black Pearl CG10 SW 56 Steel
Cleveland Black Pearl CG10 LW 60 Steel
Nike Blue Chip Heel-Toe putter 0 Steel

Demonpenz
04-17-2007, 12:53 PM
I would go with makes the ball go into the hole with fewer strokes.

ROYC75
04-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Golf is about feel. But for $125.00 you did well. If you perform well with them and it doesn't really fit your game, it doesn't matter, you are happy with them. Unless you are really getting serious about golf, tourneys, matches, etc. you do not need to go all out for pricey clubs or hand fitted clubs.

Stewie
04-17-2007, 01:50 PM
In my experience it's better to spend money with a good teaching pro than to try to buy a game.

KCfanfromNC
04-17-2007, 02:12 PM
I actually play with the Callaway X460 Titanium driver. It's pretty good and it does well for me. I'd love to switch to the sasquach or try out some of those new square drivers, but I just can't bring myself to spend money on that stuff when I've got a driver that I hit a lot of fairways with.

It really comes down to what you feel most comfortable with and confident with on the tee. I would gladly sacrifice 15 yards in distance if I knew I was deadly accurate with a driver, rather than add that 15 and have 3 holes where I lose the ball too far right or something.

Stewie
04-17-2007, 04:30 PM
I'd love to switch to the sasquach or try out some of those new square drivers, but I just can't bring myself to spend money on that stuff when I've got a driver that I hit a lot of fairways with.

I play the Sasquatch (last years model) and love it. I don't think I would be comfortable hitting a club that looks like a brick (square driver). (Caveat, I haven't swung the new square drivers.)

ExtremeChief
04-17-2007, 04:32 PM
I have a Callaway X460 Tour driver. It's the most forgiving club I've ever hit. Shots of the toe even end up in the fairway.

I agree with those who said it's really whatever you are comfortable with. If you are confident at the tee it makes all the difference. This frustrating game is totally mental.

stlchiefs
04-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Golf is about feel.

Roy said it. Be sure you're feeling the flow and easing the tension.

ChiefsFanatic
04-17-2007, 11:23 PM
I play the Sasquatch (last years model) and love it. I don't think I would be comfortable hitting a club that looks like a brick (square driver). (Caveat, I haven't swung the new square drivers.)

I know I only hit the Sumo2 in a driving range type situation, but I found the square look made it really easy to line up right at my imaginary target.

Mr. Plow
04-17-2007, 11:36 PM
I bought a brand new set of Callaway's last year. FT-3 neutral 10 degree driver. Also got the Fusion irons.

A buddy bought some X18's the same day. From what I can tell, the main difference between the 18's & the Fusion is the 18's have a little fatter head on them and are more forgiving. I know you weren't asking about irons, but I wanted to throw it in there.

As far as my driver, I love it. Couldn't imagine hitting another driver. I get on a decent day - roughly - 225+. Maybe up to 240 if I hit it well. I actually hit my 3 wood better than my driver on a more consistent basis.

I know it is probably mostly mental - but when I bought my clubs, I almost instantly shaved 5-6 strokes off my game.

ChiefsFanatic
04-17-2007, 11:43 PM
I bought a brand new set of Callaway's last year. FT-3 neutral 10 degree driver. Also got the Fusion irons.

A buddy bought some X18's the same day. From what I can tell, the main difference between the 18's & the Fusion is the 18's have a little fatter head on them and are more forgiving. I know you weren't asking about irons, but I wanted to throw it in there.

As far as my driver, I love it. Couldn't imagine hitting another driver. I get on a decent day - roughly - 225+. Maybe up to 240 if I hit it well. I actually hit my 3 wood better than my driver on a more consistent basis.

I know it is probably mostly mental - but when I bought my clubs, I almost instantly shaved 5-6 strokes off my game.

I just purchased a set of Nickent 3DX irons 5-pw, with a 3 hybrid and a 4 hybrid. The irons are unbelievable, easily the straightest, most forgiving I have hit. And I have hit a few.

I also just purchased a new Odyssey XG #9 putter. It is the same putter Phil used to win The Masters. The FT-3 is the driver he used to win the U.S. Open.

Tiger Woods is my favorite golfer, and yet I bought Phil's driver and putter.

Logical
04-17-2007, 11:58 PM
It has been a long time since I played but it sure seems like you need to work on the mechanics of your swing. That does not seem like a lot of carry for any driver. But like Phobia said, what club gives you confidence is the good deal.

Sam Hall
04-18-2007, 12:09 AM
I got checked out on a launch monitor.

My swing speed was 87mph on avg. My ball speed was 122mph on avg. My launch angle was all over the place, anywhere from 10.0 to 14.1. My power transfer was about 145, and my side spin was always around 116 to 120, mostly right.

I went ahead and purchased a Callaway FT-3 11* Draw bias driver, with an Aldila NVS 55-R shaft.

I hit a 10* at Dick's with the same shaft. My swing speed was about 84-87 mph. My launch angle was a little low, but the tee was short, and the ball was lower than I would tee it.

I also hit the Cleveland HiBore in a 11.5* loft. The launch angle was better, but overall I hated it.

Yesterday I hit about every driver in the place, and the FT-3 10* was so much better than any of the others.

With all the various drivers, I had a carry of about 190yards on avg. With the FT-3, I was easily getting 210yards of carry, and that was with horrible launch angles.

The saleman, who was a teaching pro, said that without tape on the face, I would get several more yards of carry.

So, I saw a practically brand new FT-3 11* Draw Bias on ebay for $125, and I jumped on it.

Was this a horrible choice? PLEASE let me know what you think.

How do you find time to play golf? :)

ChiefsFanatic
04-18-2007, 01:12 AM
It has been a long time since I played but it sure seems like you need to work on the mechanics of your swing. That does not seem like a lot of carry for any driver. But like Phobia said, what club gives you confidence is the good deal.

Jim Furyk averages 270 yards per drive. Justin Leonard and Chris Demarco average 272. Tiger averages 291 yards.

So I think that 210 yards of carry with 25-30 yards of roll, making my drives about 240 yards isn't that bad. Those numbers were also with the club face taped, the ball at the incorrect tee heighth, and a 10* driver versus the 11* that I purchased. So my guess is I will be carrying the ball about 220 yards with 30 yards of roll [if not more] I will take 250 any day.

ChiefsFanatic
04-18-2007, 01:13 AM
How do you find time to play golf? :)

Well, they do let me out of the cage two days per week.
:banghead:

Fairplay
04-18-2007, 04:24 AM
It is the same putter Phil used to win The Masters. The FT-3 is the driver he used to win the U.S. Open.

Tiger Woods is my favorite golfer, and yet I bought Phil's driver and putter.

Is Phil selling anymore of his golf clubs?

Miles
04-18-2007, 04:58 AM
I swing around 100.

I use all Nike gear all stiff

460 9.5 SQ Graph - I can't hit it well...but others can :)
2I/5W Slingshot 17 Graph - Tough to hit with
4-5I/9W CPR 26 Graph - Favorite club

-Awesome Iron set recommended

6-AW Nike OSS Slingshot Graph

-Great wedges

Cleveland Black Pearl CG10 SW 56 Steel
Cleveland Black Pearl CG10 LW 60 Steel
Nike Blue Chip Heel-Toe putter 0 Steel

I have really disliked most of the Nike equipment I have tried which really goes along with Phobia's to each his own comment. Nowadays I probably swing around the same speed as you as well and am a bit of a Titleist junkie.

Miles
04-18-2007, 05:06 AM
Sticks are a personal choice. If you gain distance and confidence from a new stick, it's a good purchase.

Sorry I'm not of more help than that. I used to be a club whore but haven't had new equipment in 5 years.

Couldn't agree more and it is more personal than ever now. Club technology has progressed quite a lot over the past 5 years and there are tons of variations that work well for different swings and players. The constant is still if you have confidence in a club it will likely serve you well.

Mr. Plow
04-18-2007, 07:00 AM
Jim Furyk averages 270 yards per drive. Justin Leonard and Chris Demarco average 272. Tiger averages 291 yards.

So I think that 210 yards of carry with 25-30 yards of roll, making my drives about 240 yards isn't that bad. Those numbers were also with the club face taped, the ball at the incorrect tee heighth, and a 10* driver versus the 11* that I purchased. So my guess is I will be carrying the ball about 220 yards with 30 yards of roll [if not more] I will take 250 any day.

If I got 240-250 out of my driver on a consistent basis, I would be a happy man.

KCfanfromNC
04-18-2007, 07:32 AM

Tiger averages a lot more than 291. I was watching Phil on the driving range at the Masters and the bottom of the net is 280 there. He was blowing it in the net about 40-50 yards up it. Tigers average club head speed is like 130 mph. I've seen him hit drives 335 yards. Regardless of all that, 210 of carry is fine, that puts your ball around 240-250. Like the old saying goes, "it's not how you drive, it's how you arrive."

I putt with the Scotty Cameron. The putter Tiger uses. It's an unbelievable putter, I couldn't imagine playing without it.

KCfanfromNC
04-18-2007, 07:35 AM
Tiger averages a lot more than 291. I was watching Phil on the driving range at the Masters and the bottom of the net is 280 there. He was blowing it in the net about 40-50 yards up it. Tigers average club head speed is like 130 mph. I've seen him hit drives 335 yards. Regardless of all that, 210 of carry is fine, that puts your ball around 240-250. Like the old saying goes, "it's not how you drive, it's how you arrive."

I putt with the Scotty Cameron. The putter Tiger uses. It's an unbelievable putter, I couldn't imagine playing without it.

I stand corrected. I just looked at the driving stats and Tiger is averaging 291.8 right now. I could have sworn he'd be at or over 300. That' what I get for assuming.

Garcia Bronco
04-18-2007, 08:50 AM
I have really disliked most of the Nike equipment I have tried which really goes along with Phobia's to each his own comment. Nowadays I probably swing around the same speed as you as well and am a bit of a Titleist junkie.

I like the wide sole clubs...if I hit blades...Titleist is what I would use...the pro v1's and nxt balls are the best that can be gotten IMO. The 2i/5w hybrid is really hard for me to hit with.

WilliamTheIrish
04-18-2007, 10:33 AM
I stand corrected. I just looked at the driving stats and Tiger is averaging 291.8 right now. I could have sworn he'd be at or over 300. That' what I get for assuming.

This is why you can never belive people who claim their driving distance is 'routinely at/over 300 yards'. There are a handful of the best players in the world who can consistently drive the ball 300 yards.

I suppose plenty of regular Joe's who can hit the ball that far. They are also the folks who are in the woods, weeds, high rough hunting for their ball.

WilliamTheIrish
04-18-2007, 10:36 AM
In my experience it's better to spend money with a good teaching pro than to try to buy a game.

Absolutely. Take a few lessons and let someone help you ingrain the principles of a good swing. Because your swing can go haywire in the middle of a round. If you have a foundation of principles to fall back on, you can get your swing back much quicker.

WilliamTheIrish
04-18-2007, 10:42 AM

That great distance for a weekend player. On occasion - and with tailwind - I've hit a ball 270. But the conditions were perfect.

Late last season my driver finally came around. But if I start hitting that huge slice, I put it away for a few holes and hit the 3w off the tee. Lose a little distance, but it beats being OB off the tee.

ChiefsFanatic
04-18-2007, 11:49 AM
That great distance for a weekend player. On occasion - and with tailwind - I've hit a ball 270. But the conditions were perfect.

Late last season my driver finally came around. But if I start hitting that huge slice, I put it away for a few holes and hit the 3w off the tee. Lose a little distance, but it beats being OB off the tee.

I had been hitting my 3wood with 15* of loft for a couple of years. I have a friend who is a 6 handicap, and happens to be 6' tall and kills the ball off the tee, and I was usually 10-15 yards behind him.

My swing has steadily improved, so I thought it was time try a big boy club. I just have to be patient and learn to hit it.

JBucc
04-18-2007, 11:54 AM
I very rarely play golf, but when I do I use a very old set that I think were my grandfathers. The woods are actually made of wood. I suck, btw.

Mr. Plow
04-18-2007, 01:46 PM
I very rarely play golf, but when I do I use a very old set that I think were my grandfathers. The woods are actually made of wood. I suck, btw.

Because I never learned to hit my old 3 wood, I had my grand fathers old wooden 3 in my bag. Couldn't hit the thing very far, but man it went straight.

Phobia
04-18-2007, 01:48 PM
This is why you can never belive people who claim their driving distance is 'routinely at/over 300 yards'. There are a handful of the best players in the world who can consistently drive the ball 300 yards.

I suppose plenty of regular Joe's who can hit the ball that far. They are also the folks who are in the woods, weeds, high rough hunting for their ball.
Ouch. My ears were burning when you posted this.

Mr. Plow
04-18-2007, 01:53 PM
I had been hitting my 3wood with 15* of loft for a couple of years. I have a friend who is a 6 handicap, and happens to be 6' tall and kills the ball off the tee, and I was usually 10-15 yards behind him.

My swing has steadily improved, so I thought it was time try a big boy club. I just have to be patient and learn to hit it.

I've been a member at a local course going on my 3rd year. I typically play 2 days during the week (9 holes) and once on the weekend (18). Each year that I have played consistently I have improved. When I started really playing at my course 4 years ago, I was usually about a 52+ on 9 (par 36). I have whittled that down to being between 39-42 now.

Honestly, I have never taken lessons. I've been afraid the guy will look at my swing and say "How in the hell are you even hitting the ball?" Get me to change everything and then have 2-3 years of adjustment to get to actually swinging correctly.

I've taught myself and corrected myself enough to be a solid golfer. Not great by any means, but good enough. My feeling has always been to swing the clubs and you'll progressively get better. It won't happen overnight. But as you get used to your swing and the club, you'll teach yourself how to play your game. The first time you hit that FT driver down the fairway 250 yards, you'll fall in love with it.

Mr. Plow
04-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Screw work. I'm going golfing.

Mr. Plow
04-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Ouch. My ears were burning when you posted this.

Stay away from the candles.

ChiefsFanatic
04-19-2007, 12:46 AM
I've been a member at a local course going on my 3rd year. I typically play 2 days during the week (9 holes) and once on the weekend (18). Each year that I have played consistently I have improved. When I started really playing at my course 4 years ago, I was usually about a 52+ on 9 (par 36). I have whittled that down to being between 39-42 now.

Honestly, I have never taken lessons. I've been afraid the guy will look at my swing and say "How in the hell are you even hitting the ball?" Get me to change everything and then have 2-3 years of adjustment to get to actually swinging correctly.

I've taught myself and corrected myself enough to be a solid golfer. Not great by any means, but good enough. My feeling has always been to swing the clubs and you'll progressively get better. It won't happen overnight. But as you get used to your swing and the club, you'll teach yourself how to play your game. The first time you hit that FT driver down the fairway 250 yards, you'll fall in love with it.

I have never had a one-on-one lesson. I have had a group lesson that dealt with chipping around the green (my son was getting the group lesson with a teaching pro at Adams Pointe)

I already have too many swing thoughts, I don't need any more.

ChiefsFanatic
04-19-2007, 12:52 AM
I had to return the Odyssey XG #9 putter. Everytime I had a putt from any distance, the damn thing bounced the ball two inches in the air. Close putts were better, though.

I went ahead and purchased a Guerin Rife 2 Bar offset putter from ebay. I have seen the infomercial, and thought it looked interesting, and then hit one at Golf Galaxy. I loved the way the ball came off the face, and the fact that I can adjust the lie angle myself helps.

Golf Galaxy had them for $179, and I got one for $129 including the weights, headcover, lie bending tool, and a DVD on better putting. Who knows, I may even watch the DVD and learn something.

Well, actually, I am pretty sure a blindfolded chimpanzee could putt better than I do, so the DVD is bound to have some decent tips.

Miles
04-19-2007, 12:57 AM
I have never had a one-on-one lesson. I have had a group lesson that dealt with chipping around the green (my son was getting the group lesson with a teaching pro at Adams Pointe)

I already have too many swing thoughts, I don't need any more.

If you can find a good teaching pro and have some time to work at improving (play at least every other week and hit the range) lessons can be extremely valuable.

Miles
04-19-2007, 01:06 AM
I had to return the Odyssey XG #9 putter. Everytime I had a putt from any distance, the damn thing bounced the ball two inches in the air. Close putts were better, though.

I went ahead and purchased a Guerin Rife 2 Bar offset putter from ebay. I have seen the infomercial, and thought it looked interesting, and then hit one at Golf Galaxy. I loved the way the ball came off the face, and the fact that I can adjust the lie angle myself helps.

Golf Galaxy had them for $179, and I got one for $129 including the weights, headcover, lie bending tool, and a DVD on better putting. Who knows, I may even watch the DVD and learn something.

Well, actually, I am pretty sure a blindfolded chimpanzee could putt better than I do, so the DVD is bound to have some decent tips.

Dave Pelz is a short game guru and his stuff would be worth looking into. I picked up quite a bit from one of his students (Tom Siekman's brother in Omaha) back when I played high school golf. Plez has a device practice tool (the "truthboard") that is extremely useful if shorter puts or form are your weakness.

http://www.pelzgolf.com/

ChiefsFanatic
04-19-2007, 02:48 AM
Dave Pelz is a short game guru and his stuff would be worth looking into. I picked up quite a bit from one of his students (Tom Siekman's brother in Omaha) back when I played high school golf. Plez has a device practice tool (the "truthboard") that is extremely useful if shorter puts or form are your weakness.

http://www.pelzgolf.com/

It is hard to tell which length putts I suck at more.

I have watched Pelz on the Golf Channel many times. I checked out the site. I think I might get some of those p3 practice balls.

Miles
04-19-2007, 03:13 AM
It is hard to tell which length putts I suck at more.

I have watched Pelz on the Golf Channel many times. I checked out the site. I think I might get some of those p3 practice balls.

I think the distance puts are more feel but you can get some constancy if your stroke is the same every time. The shorter puts are more pure technique and confidence.

ChiefsFanatic
04-19-2007, 09:56 AM
I think the distance puts are more feel but you can get some constancy if your stroke is the same every time. The shorter puts are more pure technique and confidence.

When I stand over a 3-4 foot putt, I am anything but confident. I can nail them on the practice green all day, but when it counts. I don't feel nervous, I am perfectly calm, but I just can't get them to fall.

But, I tell my son all the time, if it was easy, everyone would play golf for a living.

Phobia
04-19-2007, 10:06 AM
I used to live in some townhomes that offered a golf pro on staff. Tuesday nights were free golf lessons. Dude was pretty good.

OctoberFart
04-19-2007, 10:12 AM

You do know they pick a couple holes to determine driving distance and it doesn't take into account club used, wind conditions, temperature, good hit vs bad hit, etc.. Tiger hits his driver 320 consistently and it is probably more in the 330 range. His average is lower due to the fact he hits a lot of 3 woods and 2 irons off the tee even on long par 4's and 5's.

ChiefsFanatic
04-19-2007, 10:19 AM
You do know they pick a couple holes to determine driving distance and it doesn't take into account club used, wind conditions, temperature, good hit vs bad hit, etc.. Tiger hits his driver 320 consistently and it is probably more in the 330 range. His average is lower due to the fact he hits a lot of 3 woods and 2 irons off the tee even on long par 4's and 5's.

I thought they have that new shot tracker or whatever they call it. It tracks every shot hit.

Edit: Here is a bit from a story on pgatour.com

"The driving distance average at the Mercedes-Benz Championship was 255.1 yards with Brett Wetterich posting the longest driving average at 277.3 yards. Both values do appear to be quite low when there are more 400 yard drives at Kapalua than at any other venue on TOUR. However, even though the TOUR now measures the driving distance on all of the holes at this course, the average driving distance statistic you are referencing is only based on the driving distance data from two holes. Each of these two holes is selected so that they are in opposite directions, this week that meant that one was into the wind while the other was with the wind.

The reason we use this method for measuring average driving distance is to maintain continuity with the statistics that we began collecting in 1980. This allows us to compare the driving distance averages of different players over time.

However, since we started utilizing ShotLink, we do have another statistic that measures the average distance of all drives. At the Mercedes-Benz Championship this overall driving distance average was 282.1 yards, and J.B. Holmes lead the category with an average drive of 301.9 yards."

ChiefsFanatic
04-20-2007, 11:33 AM
My new putter will be arriving tomorrow, just in time for the weekend round of golf.