PDA

View Full Version : Five second rule

cdcox
04-17-2007, 07:17 PM
We've all heard of the five second rule, where you can eat dropped food, as long as it is on the ground for five seconds or less. But not all ground or food are equal in application of the rule. Hence a poll.

listopencil
04-17-2007, 07:20 PM
You need a poll.

FAX
04-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Poll come forth!! I command thee!

FAX

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Unless the floor is in the men's room.....

cdcox
04-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Poll come forth!! I command thee!

FAX

Wow, it worked!

FAX the poll charmer.

Mr. Plow
04-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Too many choices. 5 seconds are fine by me as long as the floor is not noticeably dirty.....or it's a bathroom. But then again, why am I eating in the bathroom.

cdcox
04-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Too many choices. 5 seconds are fine by me as long as the floor is not noticeably dirty.....or it's a bathroom. But then again, why am I eating in the bathroom.

Saturday morning on the throne with coffee, some toast, and wireless internet. Doesn't get much better.

wutamess
04-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Which 2 of you fuggers would eat anything no matter what?

wutamess
04-18-2007, 08:48 AM
Saturday morning on the throne with coffee, some toast, and wireless internet. Doesn't get much better.

Never understood how people could eat or drink in the bathroom.
I guess it's a mind over matter type thing but it's just nasty as hell.

JBucc
04-18-2007, 08:49 AM
No dirt or hair=Eat it.

Baby Lee
04-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Never understood how people could eat or drink in the bathroom.
I guess it's a mind over matter type thing but it's just nasty as hell.
A beer in the bath/shower after a long day of yard work is as far as I could go.

Infidel Goat
04-18-2007, 12:12 PM
What I find astonishing is that two more people are willing to eat a biscuit that falls on a clean floor than are willing to eat a rib that fell on a clean floor.

Either we have some vegetarians or idiots on the board...

stlchiefs
04-18-2007, 12:17 PM
I didn't vote that way, but maybe they are still wary of the sauce on the rib picking up crap (though the floor is clean), compared to the solid biscuit coming up unscathed?

trndobrd
04-18-2007, 01:13 PM
What is the deal with today's liberal mindset? A rule is a rule! We can't just manufacture execptions out of thin air just because we feel like it. This kind of tampering with established rule of law, just because it is popular will be the ruin of our society. When the Founding Fathers put the 5 second rule in the Constitution it was because they had just fought a war against British oppression and they knew that there was no divine right of Kings to eat anything off the floor regardless of how long it had been there. The Framers of the Constitution also knew that the Northern tradition of waste not-want not had already been codified in the MayFlower Compact. That is why we, privileged by God himself to be Americans, have a full five seconds to pick up and eat things off the floor, whenever, wherever. Why do you morally bankrupt secular humanists insist on depriving us of our God given, Constitutional rights?

KC Kings
04-18-2007, 01:23 PM
There are no exceptions to the 5 second rule. Period. Would I eat something that fell in a urinal? I don't eat in the bathroom so I wouldn't be in that situation. The only time that food can not be eaten after taking a fall is if the food item is destroyed to the point it can not be consumed. Beer spilling in the grass, pudding dropped on the floor, etc... The foo dmust be totally destroyed though. You drop a bagel cream cheese side down in the grass, you wipe off the cream cheese and continue eating. You drop pizza face down in the dirt, take of the cheese and eat the rest.

KC Kings
04-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Take a guess...

I am more carefull now that I work in a county hospital about using hand sanitizer before eating and not eating in common areas, but since I only eat in non-clinical areas the rule still applies.

Rain Man
04-18-2007, 01:27 PM
There are no exceptions to the 5 second rule. Period. Would I eat something that fell in a urinal? I don't eat in the bathroom so I wouldn't be in that situation. The only time that food can not be eaten after taking a fall is if the food item is destroyed to the point it can not be consumed. Beer spilling in the grass, pudding dropped on the floor, etc... The foo dmust be totally destroyed though. You drop a bagel cream cheese side down in the grass, you wipe off the cream cheese and continue eating. You drop pizza face down in the dirt, take of the cheese and eat the rest.

So in other words, if you can pick up a piece of food, you're going to eat it.

Redrum_69
04-18-2007, 01:29 PM

Have you ever bought the food from the guy who sets up shop at 63rd street drive in...who uses dry ice to keep everything cold?

Look closer at the expiration date sometime...

people are always buying his food...and its usually over a year old..and hes making big money off it.

Redrum_69
04-18-2007, 01:29 PM
So in other words, if you can pick up a piece of food, you're going to eat it.

OMG HES BACK

BucEyedPea
04-18-2007, 01:30 PM
I dropped a popsicle on the beach in the sand.
I picked it up, washed it off and still ate it.
But I'm just real cheap.
Even when my central AV went last summer, I sat in different restaurants all day and nursed an iced-tea.

Rain Man
04-18-2007, 01:32 PM
OMG HES BACK

(Looking over my shoulder in confusion.)

Zebedee DuBois
04-18-2007, 01:35 PM
I constructed a mathematical model on this very subject and posted it here ~ 5 years ago. I can't find it. I am on the steep part of the bell curve when it comes to seach functions (and not the good steep part - the one on the other side.)

Iowanian
04-18-2007, 01:36 PM
I'd eat something that fell on the floor in my house....the wife keeps it pretty darn clean. I wouldn't eat anything that fell on a public floor.

It must not be too harmful, I see kidowanian chowing cheerios that fall on the floor every day with little or no effect. I'm not using her as the beacon of light of the 5 second rule though.....I'm fairly certain she'd recycle a piece of corn out of diaper without supervision.

Redrum_69
04-18-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm fairly certain she'd recycle a piece of corn out of diaper without supervision.

She could work for NASA

cdcox
04-18-2007, 01:38 PM
I constructed a mathematical model on this very subject and posted it here ~ 5 years ago. I can't find it. I am on the steep part of the bell curve when it comes to seach functions (and not the good steep part - the one on the other side.)

Unless it's in the Hall Of Classics or archives, threads that old have been deleted long ago.

But if you come across it on your hard drive, be sure to share.

cdcox
04-18-2007, 01:42 PM

FOUND IT!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/archive/index.php/t-16285

Zebedee DuBois
The Five Second Rule

We have all heard of the five-second rule. It is a rule of thumb that says that if you drop a cookie on the floor and pick it up within five seconds, it is still all right to eat the cookie.
After giving this some thought, I have concluded that this is an oversimplification of the actual thought processes that occur in this situation. I have identified seven different factors that affect your resistance to eating off the floor, and arranged them in an equation to show their relationship to each other and to your ultimate decision. Several are negative influences and they go in the numerator of the equation. Others are positive and go in the denominator of the equation. Thus, if there are many negative factors and few positive, the overall value (Resistance to eating off the floor, shown as [r] in the equation) is high. If the negative factors are low, and positive factors high, your resistance to eating off the floor approaches zero. (Please note: In teenage boys, especially in the presence of other teenagers, some of the normally negative values actually become positive, and there is almost no resistance to eating anything, in any condition, if he thinks it will impress or gross out his peers)

An explanation of the individual factors with their symbols indicated by brackets follows.

Negatives:
Awaren[e]ss of others: If you are alone, you are more likely to eat from the floor than if you are being observed. Just as you might drink directly from the milk carton if you are alone, you are unlikely to do it if your wife is watching you.
Seco[n]ds it has been on the floor: We are all familiar with this aspect of the equation. If you saw it hit the floor, you know its’ condition. If you walked into the room and see food on the floor, you are less likely to want it.
Abundance or [j]umbo quantity of the food: If you have a whole tub of popcorn, and one piece hits the floor, you probably won’t go after it. If you dropped the last Girl Scout cookie that you had saved in the back of your desk drawer, you might dive for it.
C[o]ntamination or dirtiness of the floor: Imagine that dropped popcorn in your living room. Now imagine it at the movie theatre.
Gooe[y]ness of the food: You have a piece of toast with jelly and drop it on the linoleum, if it lands on the toast side – no problem; if it lands on the jelly side – yuck. Piece of hard candy – no problem; same candy after you already sucked on it – no way.

Positives:
Hungr[i]ness: Lets face it. Hunger has been one of the great motivators since the dawn of time.
Lus[t] for the food item: This is different from hunger. Let’s say that I have an abnormal hankering for Little Debbies Nutty Bars. It’s got chocolate. It’s got peanut butter. It’s got a wafer cookie. It is way yummy. I’ve been thinking about eating one all morning. I can’t wait for a break to get one from the candy machine. When I finally do get one, I start opening the package before I even make it back to my desk. I drop it. Now, am I really just hungry for that Nutty Bar? No way! I was lusting for that Nutty Bar. I wanted that Nutty Bar. I was emotionally invested in that Nutty Bar and now it just bounced under my desk. Well... really... only my feet were under there and I hardly ever step in nasty things. You get the idea.

The equation can be expressed as follows:

[e][n][j][o][y] / [i][t] = r

The amazing thing is that the human brain can swiftly assign values to each factor and compute the final value. It only takes... about five seconds.

Zebedee DuBois
04-18-2007, 01:49 PM
cdcox, you are on the opposite steep part of the bell curve from me.
I appaud you.

cdcox
04-18-2007, 01:55 PM
cdcox, you are on the opposite steep part of the bell curve from me.
I appaud you.

Google >> CP Search

StcChief
04-18-2007, 03:32 PM
I'd eat something that fell on the floor in my house....the wife keeps it pretty darn clean. I wouldn't eat anything that fell on a public floor.

It must not be too harmful, I see kidowanian chowing cheerios that fall on the floor every day with little or no effect. I'm not using her as the beacon of light of the 5 second rule though.....I'm fairly certain she'd recycle a piece of corn out of diaper without supervision.

with Kids germ factor high must keep things clean or they are always sick. Being closer to the floor great chance of seeing and picking it up.

The corn is a bad image.... :)

MOhillbilly
04-18-2007, 03:37 PM
as long as it doesnt directly touch something i know about, ill eat it.

hell i worked in a warehouse and when inventory came around the powers that be bought all the slugs donuts.
so i drop the donuts on the way back to my line.
the guys ate them w/ glee.

:)

BucEyedPea
04-28-2007, 04:10 PM
Well, my daughter had her Science Fair this week, and guess what?
Another kid, about age 10 did this "5-second-rule" question using a microscope. Apparently, it's loaded with more germs in 5 seconds and less earlier. Still has some germs earlier though, apparently.

SCTrojan
04-28-2007, 05:07 PM
It's actually the seven-second rule, and it applies to all of those situations except the toilet one.