PDA

View Full Version : Friday NFL RFA Ends – DT Randy Starks

Wilson8
04-19-2007, 10:21 PM
Last Chance

The NFL league deadline for signing restricted free agents ends this Friday at 11:59 PM ET.

The Chiefs have signed James Reed, Ron Edwards and Alphonso Boone, but they still need help with the defensive tackle position.

What are your opinions on DT Randy Starks from the Tennessee Titans?

The Chiefs past record of drafting defensive tackles is terrible and Starks has already shown he can play. If the Titans do not match the deal, it would cost a 3rd round draft pick. If the Titans do decide to match, then it is back to drafting a DT. Probably would have to use a 1st or 2nd round pick to get a DT with his abilities.

Info - 6’3” 307 lbs, DOB 12/14/1983, College - Maryland

Stats - In 3 NFL seasons - 115 tackles, 10.5 sacks, 4 fumble recoveries, 3 passes knocked down.

Still young but has some good experience and playing time.

RJ
04-19-2007, 10:35 PM
I would love to see the Chiefs take a chance on Starks. He is, at times, a dominant player and he's still young enough that we might catch him at his peak.

Direckshun
04-19-2007, 10:44 PM
I'm torn. I don't know too much about this cat.

I'll see what others whom I respect and actively disrespect say before making a judgment.

Wilson8
04-19-2007, 10:44 PM
I think it is interesting that there’s been no news of anybody having him in for a visit. I thought maybe he had been in trouble or something. I look at past DT draft picks from the Chiefs and I think Starks is a better choice. Maybe Herm will be better in the draft.

By-the-way, does anyone know how they record and track tackles? There are a wide variety of numbers of tackles for players depending on what web site you look at.

Wilson8
04-19-2007, 10:47 PM
Is Ian Scott still available? What is the story with him? It seems that there were lots of teams interested in him at one time. Maybe his price tag has dropped. I'd rather not give up the draft pick if we could sign a decent UFA player.

Wilson8
04-19-2007, 10:50 PM
The Bears are only expected to make an offer to free agent DT Ian Scott if he's willing to play for the minimum in 2007.
He doesn't seem likely to be back. Scott has met with Minnesota, Denver, and Atlanta, and has a visit with the Bengals set for late this week. Apr. 19 - 8:56 am et

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=2439&line=91781&spln=1

Wilson8
04-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Found this story on Randy Starks.

Titans | Police and courts: R. Starks
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 08:09:29 -0800

Paul Kuharsky, of the Tennessean, reports a domestic-assault case against Tennessee Titans DT Randy Starks will be dismissed in August 2007 if he completes a series of counseling sessions. Starks consented to an agreed order of continuance in general sessions court Tuesday, Dec. 12. Starks faced misdemeanor domestic-assault charges from an alleged incident Aug. 12 with his fiancée at the couple's home. Starks' attorney, Roger May, said if Starks continues with anger-management counseling sessions he's been a part of through an NFL program, and has no further incidents with his fiancée, that he'll make a court appearance Aug. 3 and the charges will be dropped.

Wilson8
04-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Another point that I wanted to make was; restricted free agency is about to end. The Chief’s RFAs won’t be able to sign anywhere else after tomorrow night.

htismaqe
04-20-2007, 05:35 AM
good find...said all along there had to be something with Starks that kept people from even appearing interested

InChiefsHeaven
04-20-2007, 06:40 AM
Who are the RFA's for the Chiefs...I recall Allen, but who else?

Wilson8
04-20-2007, 06:50 AM
Who are the RFA's for the Chiefs...I recall Allen, but who else?

This is the original list. Some like Tynes and Sapp have already signed their offer sheet from the Chiefs.

Kansas City
Allen, Jared DE Idaho State 1st & 3rd
Fox, Keyaron LB Georgia Tech 3rd
Parker, Samie WR Oregon 4th
Sampson, Kevin T Syracuse 7th
Sapp, Benny DB Northern Iowa ROFR
Scanlon, Rich LB Syracuse ROFR
Tynes, Lawrence K Troy ROFR

Did Sampson already sign his offer sheet from the Chiefs? In a few hours it does not make much difference.

InChiefsHeaven
04-20-2007, 06:59 AM
So, lemme get this straight...if a RFA does NOT sign their sheet by midnight tonight, they cannot go to another team and they basically have to play for whatever the Chiefs want them to?

...all this business side of football is confusing as hell to me...

Wilson8
04-20-2007, 07:09 AM
I know the player can no longer talk or negotiate with other teams. Other teams only have this window of a few weeks on which to negotiate. They cut off RFA a week before the draft because the current team has 1 week to decide if they want to match the offer. I believe the current team has to pay them what was originally in the scale of the offer. Allen for example is schedule to make over 2 million.