PDA

View Full Version : LJ on their mind? Chiefs appear to be planning to draft a running back

Hammock Parties
04-20-2007, 01:42 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/160/story/77543.html

LJ on their mind?

Chiefs appear to be planning to draft a running back to back up or replace Johnson.

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Maybe the Chiefs are truly concerned about Larry Johnson’s welfare. Perhaps it’s a sign they believe he is ready to hold out or they’re preparing to trade him.

Or it could be just something as simple as the Chiefs doing their predraft homework.

Whatever the reason, they met this week at Arrowhead Stadium with at least four of the higher-profile running backs available in the coming draft: California’s Marshawn Lynch, Ohio State’s Antonio Pittman, Florida State’s Lorenzo Booker and Louisville’s Kolby Smith.

Oklahoma’s Adrian Peterson, widely considered the top running back available in the draft, did not visit with the Chiefs this week. Neither did some of the other top runners, including Arizona’s Chris Henry, Auburn’s Kenny Irons, Penn State’s Tony Hunt and Alabama’s Kenneth Darby.

The Chiefs were unavailable Thursday to speak about their motives. But the agents for all of the players said the Chiefs told them they planned to draft a running back in an early round.

“They’ve put that out there,” said Smith’s agent, Jerrold Colton. “They said they want the running-back duties shared a little more to save the wear and tear on (Johnson).”

That part makes sense. Johnson was the busiest NFL back ever last season when he set a league record with 416 carries, and coach Herm Edwards has said he would like to reduce the burden on Johnson.

Edwards also indicated recently there was a good chance the Chiefs would draft another running back.

The puzzling part is that the Chiefs are looking at some premier backs. Lynch probably will be selected by the time the Chiefs make their first pick, 23rd in the first round. Pittman is a likely second-round selection.

Booker and Smith, though, could be available in the latter half of the seven-round draft.

The Chiefs have an accomplished backup to Johnson in Michael Bennett. He didn’t help them much last year, mainly because of injuries.

But he once rushed for more than 1,000 yards with Minnesota. The Chiefs like that he’s fast and that he’s a good complement to Johnson.

Johnson and the Chiefs have worked on a new contract that would give him a raise, but they don’t have an agreement yet. Johnson has not threatened to hold out if he doesn’t get a new deal and has been participating in the offseason workout program.

The Chiefs also might be willing to trade Johnson if the right trade offer came along.

Direckshun
04-20-2007, 01:44 AM
Moneyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

blueballs
04-20-2007, 01:49 AM
fill the stable

elvomito
04-20-2007, 01:52 AM
earlier when i was drinking pitchers of PBR i was thainking that at least herm would not select a kicker with the first pick(being that we signed one recently). then i thought "well **** he'll probably select a RB" and i read this. bastyard

ZootedGranny
04-20-2007, 01:55 AM
I'd love to see them draft Booker. At FSU he didn't come close to meeting the hype he had coming out of high school, but he also played under a coordinator that would completely abandon the run as soon as they started losing.

He'd compliment LJ nicely, and then the Chiefs could move/cut Bennett down the road. I'd definitely welcome a RB corps of LJ, Booker and Ross.

Mecca
04-20-2007, 01:58 AM
Booker is an absolute role playing back......no one should take that as any sort of sign.

thehead
04-20-2007, 06:09 AM
Wow am I missing something ? Why in the world would you not pay LJ

what he is worth , LJ is a beast ,stop giving him 400+ carries a fugging

year and the cat should hold up!!

htismaqe
04-20-2007, 06:09 AM
Antonio Pittman isn't. He's a guy that could be a very productive pro.

By the way Teicher:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3907085

tomahawk kid
04-20-2007, 06:10 AM
I just bought an LJ jersey.

Shit.

:banghead:

InChiefsHeaven
04-20-2007, 06:33 AM
LJ's not going anywhere. If we draft a running back, I'll be pissed. We have WAAAAY more obvious needs before that...draft on in a late round on the second day if you must, but for God's sake, don't waste a pick on a position that is not a need...

Eleazar
04-20-2007, 06:38 AM
Well, given the load LJ carried last year, Bennett's durability concerns and Brown's... well... not being very good, I can see it as a need. Going that way in the first round would kind of upset me though... ugh

Mecca
04-20-2007, 06:39 AM
Drafting a RB that would make it so he wouldn't carry 400 times again.........

If he carries as many times this year as last his career is over.

Guys like Booker are 3rd/4th rounders and also can return kicks.....

InChiefsHeaven
04-20-2007, 06:43 AM
Drafting a RB that would make it so he wouldn't carry 400 times again.........

If he carries as many times this year as last his career is over.

Guys like Booker are 3rd/4th rounders and also can return kicks.....

Yeah, but what about Ross? I mean, I get the feeling that he should be a possible nod for the 3rd back behind Bennett. I understand the concern over Bennett, but damn, sometimes you have to take a risk. When healthy, he's been pretty damn good. Also, I thought Webb was going to be our return guy, or at least that he could be our return guy, if we got rid of Dante.

We need other stuff before we need a RB.

tomahawk kid
04-20-2007, 06:49 AM
If they draft a running back in the first three rounds, it a stronger indication to me that plan on starting Croyle than trading LJ.

Mecca
04-20-2007, 06:50 AM
I don't really think you can "count" on undrafted players or really late picks to fill roles until they prove they can do it.

I don't think asking Jeff Webb to really be the return man is a good idea.....maybe it's just me.

PastorMikH
04-20-2007, 07:13 AM
Hey, it worked the last time we had a RB threatening to hold out for more $ when he was already in a current contract.

htismaqe
04-20-2007, 07:40 AM
I don't think asking Jeff Webb to really be the return man is a good idea.....maybe it's just me.

It's just you.

Mecca
04-20-2007, 07:41 AM
Maybe we'll pick Ted Ginn and it won't matter......

stlchiefs
04-20-2007, 07:42 AM

Shit.

:banghead:

Quick, go exchange it for a Trent Green jersey.

tomahawk kid
04-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Quick, go exchange it for a Trent Green jersey.

Yeah...have one of those too.

StcChief
04-20-2007, 08:06 AM
If they draft a RB what's it say about Bennett....
I'm all for giving somebody else 10-15 carries a game.

How about we throw the ball a little more?

htismaqe
04-20-2007, 09:24 AM
If they draft a RB what's it say about Bennett...

That his hammies are made of silly putty?

Tribal Warfare
04-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Darby plays alot like Shaun Alexander so I have no problem with that

Coogs
04-20-2007, 09:27 AM
It is just one week to go until the draft, and a month or so ago Holthaus or someone said to be prepared for a "Blockbuster" type trade. Time will tell.

Mr. Laz
04-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Trade Trent Green and Larry Johnson to Cleveland for the 3rd pick of the draft. :D

Chiefs mock

Rd 1
#3 WR Calvin Johnson
#?? (trade down recoup a 3rd/4th) DT Justin Harrell

RD 2

#23 RB Antonnio Pittman

RD 3

#?? (trade from Rd 1) CB Jonathan Wade, Tennessee

#23 OG Manuel Ramirez, Texas Tech

RD4-7 BAA

Player info:

OG Manuel Ramirez, Texas Tech 6-3 326 40 5.20 Strongest member of the team with a bench press of 550 lbs...Quite the physical specimen...He is not flashy but you know what you are getting...Will be limited to playing inside at the next level and his best fit will be with a run orientated team.

CB Jonathan Wade, Tennessee, 5-10, 195: A sprinter originally recruited as a receiver, Wade started only one full season as a defensive back. He has obvious ability to run and jump with a 4.36 time in the 40 and a 40½-inch vertical jump, not surprising since he set a Louisiana high school record of 21.03 seconds in the 200 meters. His footwork and body control make him appear to have the talent to excel in man-to-man coverage, but he has a lot of work to do in order to learn the position.

WR Calvin Johnson 6-5, 239, 4.35: Simply one of the best wide receiver prospects to come along in quite some time and can be a matchup nightmare for defenses...Think Terrell Owens without the attitude...His talent wasn't always utilized in college but has the chance to be an impact, game-changing receiver at the next level...A lock to be one of the premier prospects available and he should come off the board in the Top 3-5 overall picks.

DT Justin Harrell, Tennessee, 6-4, 300: Harrell enters the draft with scouts concerned about his ability to come back from a biceps injury. He was one of college football's best run-stoppers before the injury. An emotional team leader, Harrell started 25 of his 35 games with the Volunteers and finished his career with 82 tackles (14 for losses) and four sacks.

RB Antonio Pittman, Ohio State, 5-11, 207: He is a strong inside runner with a knack for making the first tackler miss and enough speed to scare a defense after that, as evidenced by his 4.40-second time in the 40-yard dash at the scouting combine. Pittman started 25 games for the Buckeyes, racking up 2,945 rushing yards and 22 touchdowns on 557 carries; he also gained 314 yards on 37 receptions.

BigMeatballDave
04-20-2007, 10:17 AM

Shit.

:banghead:Yeah, bought one a yr. ago.
:cuss:

Eleazar
04-20-2007, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't melt down if we traded Larry Johnson as long as we got value, but that kind of goes for anybody.

Wile_E_Coyote
04-20-2007, 10:22 AM
You've been following the Chiefs for how long now? They may draft a running back, but that does not mean that is the postion they will play him at. Teicher, I'm disappointed in ya

BigMeatballDave
04-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Trade Trent Green and Larry Johnson to Cleveland for the 3rd pick of the draft. :D

Chiefs mock

Rd 1
#3 WR Calvin Johnson

RD 2

#23 RB Antonnio Pittman

RD 3

RD4-7 BAA

Player info:

OG Manuel Ramirez, Texas Tech 6-3 326 40 5.20 Strongest member of the team with a bench press of 550 lbs...Quite the physical specimen...He is not flashy but you know what you are getting...Will be limited to playing inside at the next level and his best fit will be with a run orientated team.

CB Jonathan Wade, Tennessee, 5-10, 195: A sprinter originally recruited as a receiver, Wade started only one full season as a defensive back. He has obvious ability to run and jump with a 4.36 time in the 40 and a 40½-inch vertical jump, not surprising since he set a Louisiana high school record of 21.03 seconds in the 200 meters. His footwork and body control make him appear to have the talent to excel in man-to-man coverage, but he has a lot of work to do in order to learn the position.

WR Calvin Johnson 6-5, 239, 4.35: Simply one of the best wide receiver prospects to come along in quite some time and can be a matchup nightmare for defenses...Think Terrell Owens without the attitude...His talent wasn't always utilized in college but has the chance to be an impact, game-changing receiver at the next level...A lock to be one of the premier prospects available and he should come off the board in the Top 3-5 overall picks.

DT Justin Harrell, Tennessee, 6-4, 300: Harrell enters the draft with scouts concerned about his ability to come back from a biceps injury. He was one of college football's best run-stoppers before the injury. An emotional team leader, Harrell started 25 of his 35 games with the Volunteers and finished his career with 82 tackles (14 for losses) and four sacks.

RB Antonio Pittman, Ohio State, 5-11, 207: He is a strong inside runner with a knack for making the first tackler miss and enough speed to scare a defense after that, as evidenced by his 4.40-second time in the 40-yard dash at the scouting combine. Pittman started 25 games for the Buckeyes, racking up 2,945 rushing yards and 22 touchdowns on 557 carries; he also gained 314 yards on 37 receptions.As much as I like some of these guys, If we could get a top 10 pick, I would select Okoye.

boogblaster
04-20-2007, 10:23 AM
LJ isnt goin anywhere .. he needs a backup tho .....

ct
04-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Trade Trent Green and Larry Johnson to Cleveland for the 3rd pick of the draft.

chiefs mock

Rd 1
#3 WR Calvin Johnson

RD 2

#23 RB Antonnio Pittman

RD 3

RD4-7 BAA

Make it happen Laz! Maybe you could add in the Jared Allen trade to Washington for #6, and we can get this instead:

Round 1
#3 WR Calvin Johnson, else OT Joe Thomas
#6 RB Adrian Peterson
#23 DT Alan Branch, else trade down for DT Justin Harrell, recoup 3rd/4th

Round 2
#54 OT Doug Free, else WR Jason Hill (depends on pick #3)

Round 3
#84 DE Ikaika Alama-Francis
I like Wade with extra 3rd

Rounds 4-7
BAA, like to see an OG, and another DE

The Poz
04-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Apparently the Chiefs have been looking at Kansas running back Jon Cornish. Don't know too much about him, don't get many Kansas games up here but we hear a bit about him just 'cause he's Canadian.
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/joncornish.html

This article (mid-way down) mentions that the Chiefs & Bears are looking at him.
http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2007/04/19/4067293-sun.html

He'll be a late rounder.

Tribal Warfare
04-20-2007, 10:57 AM
thinking about it, it would make the Joe Thomas comment that his agent thinks he's going to KC more relevant if a blockbuster LJ trade does go down. :hmmm:

sedated
04-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Apparently the Chiefs have been looking at Kansas running back Jon Cornish. Don't know too much about him, don't get many Kansas games up here but we hear a bit about him just 'cause he's Canadian.

Cornish was so under-rated at KU.

He's got the straight-ahead speed, decent size, and good vision.

Eleazar
04-20-2007, 11:25 AM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/joncornish.html

He's the next Jesse Haynes...

ct
04-20-2007, 11:27 AM
thinking about it, it would make the Joe Thomas comment that his agent thinks he's going to KC more relevant if a blockbuster LJ trade does go down. :hmmm:

that was a mistake actually, chagrin meant to say Joe Staley, not Joe Thomas.

CosmicPal
04-20-2007, 11:28 AM
This is no surprise.

The Chiefs NEED another RB. They also NEED another WR, another Tackle, another Guard, another Center, DE, DT, CB, and another WR, another DT, another CB, another....uggghhhh, does it ever end!

kcchiefsus
04-20-2007, 11:32 AM
I don't really think you can "count" on undrafted players or really late picks to fill roles until they prove they can do it.

That's like if every company in a certain job field required all new applicants to already have 3 years of job experience in that field. How are you going to have job experience if nobody will hire you in the first place?

How can a player prove they can do something until you give them the playing time? You can't.

KevB
04-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Cornish was so under-rated at KU.

He's got the straight-ahead speed, decent size, and good vision.

He ran a slow 40 in workouts, maybe a 4.65 or so (going off memory). I think he's a decent back, just not sure he has the quickness/speed necessary. Where he really improved in college and made his mark was his vision. He became very good seeing and anticipating the play in front of him. Even with the vision, I don't know if he's quick enough to take advantage of that skill.

OctoberFart
04-20-2007, 11:52 AM
They might as well trade Cancer Diaper Boy since they are rebuilding anyway.

go bo
04-20-2007, 03:42 PM
i don't get it...

why would you get rid of one of the very best rb's in the league?

we've been blessed with two in a row that are/will be among the best rb's of all time...

why in the holy hell would anybody want to trade one of the all time best rb's?

if they were gonna get rid of larry (in order to rebuild or whatever), why did they keep gonzo?

i think it's nuts to trade away one of the best players you've ever had, especially if all you get in return are draft picks, which may or may not work out...

most draftees don't reach their potential in the first or second years...

so even a good pick in the draft would probably not be able to replace larry's production for 2 or 3 years...

hell, if we can somehow put together a decent o-line, larry's production should improve...

now if someone could teach him how to block blitzing lb's or db's ...

and how to catch the ball...

he would truly be one of the best ever...

Chief Roundup
04-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Well a RB would not be the "exciting" pick that we could make. So this makes me think that RB might be the BAA that everyone always wants us to draft or it is a way to see if get someone to trade up to our 1st.

listopencil
04-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Didn't you guys draft LJ when Priest was still very effective?

ChiefsCountry
04-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Didn't you guys draft LJ when Priest was still very effective?

Yeah Carl did, and Dicky V went ape shit over it.

Hammock Parties
04-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Carl drafted LJ because he wasn't sure about Priest's hip.

listopencil
04-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Yeah Carl did, and Dicky V went ape shit over it.

Looks like the pick turned out pretty good. How's your RB depth? Do you have anyone that could realistically challenge LJ for playing time? If not-draft a RB. I'm not saying necessarily with a 1st or 2nd. But RB depth is a good thing.

FAX
04-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Depth? Depth? We don't need no stinkin' depth.

FAX

listopencil
04-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Make it happen Laz! Maybe you could add in the Jared Allen trade to Washington for #6, and we can get this instead:

Round 1
#3 WR Calvin Johnson, else OT Joe Thomas
#6 RB Adrian Peterson
#23 DT Alan Branch, else trade down for DT Justin Harrell, recoup 3rd/4th

Round 2
#54 OT Doug Free, else WR Jason Hill (depends on pick #3)

Round 3
#84 DE Ikaika Alama-Francis
I like Wade with extra 3rd

Rounds 4-7
BAA, like to see an OG, and another DE

I heard Branch has stress fractures in both of his legs.

listopencil
04-20-2007, 08:25 PM
I've also heard that Branch merely has shin splints rather than fractures. Take your pick on which rumor to believe. I'm waiting for confirmation.

FAX
04-20-2007, 08:29 PM
I've also heard that Branch merely has shin splints rather than fractures. Take your pick on which rumor to believe. I'm waiting for confirmation.

God. You make him sound like Mr. Glass.

What's he even doing in the draft?

FAX

Hammock Parties
04-20-2007, 08:30 PM
God. You make him sound like Mr. Glass.

What's he even doing in the draft?

FAX

WAITING TO BE TRADED FOR LARRY JOHNSON!!!

FAX
04-20-2007, 08:31 PM

I think Mr. listopencil wants Branch to be a goat.

He's making this stuff up to throw us off.

FAX

Silock
04-20-2007, 08:55 PM

Not even close to a big deal either way. Takes a max 4 weeks off of repetitive motions and onto an elliptical or bike to stay in cardio shape. I wouldn't bat an eye about this.

EDIT: Bike, not treadmill >.<

listopencil
04-20-2007, 09:25 PM
There's also a rumor going around that the Broncos are talking to Houston about trading with them for that #10 pick in round one. Could be Branch/Okoye there. Nothing concrete. Just sayin'...

listopencil
04-20-2007, 09:27 PM

I think you would have to trade LJ and your first rounder to have a chance. And I'm not sure how much that chance would be. Depends on who would give you the best value. Inside the top ten is crazy compensation. That shit's like gold.

Hammock Parties
04-20-2007, 09:32 PM
I think you would have to trade LJ and your first rounder to have a chance. And I'm not sure how much that chance would be. Depends on who would give you the best value. Inside the top ten is crazy compensation. That shit's like gold.

Larry Johnson is worth 10 Alan Branches.

listopencil
04-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Larry Johnson is worth 10 Alan Branches.

Not on draft day.