PDA

View Full Version : Alan Branch has issues........injury issues...

Mecca
04-20-2007, 06:07 AM
According to Dan Pompei on Cold Pizza this morning, Branch's draft stock is slipping because he has stress fractures in his leg and teams are taking him off their boards completely because they are unsure if he can hold up through a whole season.

Todd McShay and Kiper have also said this.......Justin Harrell has moved ahead of Branch on Kipers big board.

chagrin
04-20-2007, 06:14 AM
Yeah, the 2 stress fractures, Sirius is talking about that as well right now. Apparently it's the news of the day.
Wait one, now they are talking about how Herm as as many in game coaching errors as Mike Martz, lol!

htismaqe
04-20-2007, 06:15 AM
So THAT is why Harrell is moving up.

Direckshun
04-20-2007, 07:39 AM
Late first rounder. :thumb:

Buns
04-21-2007, 12:31 AM
Krumrie must have did a number on Branch

Mecca
04-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Scott Wright now disputes the story.......

Hey,

I am actually about to type this up for my blog but I wanted to give everyone here the first look.

I have made some calls in regards to the rumors about Alan Branch having stress fractures in his legs and from everything I can gather they don't appear to be true.

Branch does have shin splints, as a lot of big guys like him do, and everyone has known about that for a while and they actually hindered him in his pre-draft training and at his Pro Day workout. HOWEVER, Branch checked out fine medically at the Combine and was not asked back for a re-check, as he would have been if there was an issue.

With the draft so close this is probably a classic case of misinformation being put out there by a team hoping that he will fall to them in round one. The bottom line is that Branch's stock is falling a bit and it looks like the earliest he may go is Houston at #10 or St. Louis at #13 but his drop is not due to fractured legs.

chagrin
04-23-2007, 09:01 AM
Scott Wright now disputes the story.......

Hey,

I am actually about to type this up for my blog but I wanted to give everyone here the first look.

I have made some calls in regards to the rumors about Alan Branch having stress fractures in his legs and from everything I can gather they don't appear to be true.

Branch does have shin splints, as a lot of big guys like him do, and everyone has known about that for a while and they actually hindered him in his pre-draft training and at his Pro Day workout. HOWEVER, Branch checked out fine medically at the Combine and was not asked back for a re-check, as he would have been if there was an issue.

With the draft so close this is probably a classic case of misinformation being put out there by a team hoping that he will fall to them in round one. The bottom line is that Branch's stock is falling a bit and it looks like the earliest he may go is Houston at #10 or St. Louis at #13 but his drop is not due to fractured legs.

Thanks gochiefs :p

I heard this Thursday but figured if I posted it you all would call bullshit again. Sirius actually has a very good football show.

L.A. Chieffan
04-23-2007, 09:15 AM
I'd still rather have Okoye, stress-fractures or no.

BigChiefFan
04-23-2007, 09:26 AM
So THAT is why Harrell is moving up.
I think Harrell is moving up because he's the last of the top-tier DTs in the upcoming draft. As we all know or should know, DTs are usually highly-coveted. Big sweet (Harrell's nickname) has alot of talent. Teams are always fast to pull the trigger on DTs in hopes of landing a superstar at a premium position and Harrell grades out to have superstar potential. In fact, I believe the Chiefs may be the team that pulls the trigger.

eazyb81
04-23-2007, 09:41 AM
I would LOVE to see Branch fall all the way to 23.

It's always interesting to see the hype train move up and down during the final week before the draft.

Chiefnj
04-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Latest gossip on branch from gbn:

"Hulking Michigan DT Alan Branch, a top 10-15 prospect for this month’s draft, reportedly weighed in at 345 pounds when re visited San Francisco late last week"

BigChiefFan
04-23-2007, 10:01 AM
That would be great if he fell to us. I would be blown away. He's very athletic for a guy his size.

htismaqe
04-23-2007, 10:13 AM
I think Harrell is moving up because he's the last of the top-tier DTs in the upcoming draft. As we all know or should know, DTs are usually highly-coveted. Big sweet (Harrell's nickname) has alot of talent. Teams are always fast to pull the trigger on DTs in hopes of landing a superstar at a premium position and Harrell grades out to have superstar potential. In fact, I believe the Chiefs may be the team that pulls the trigger.

I guess I'm one of the few here that wouldn't be pissed if we drafted Harrell.

Sure, I'd like to see us move down, get a pick or two, and then take him.

But he's a guy I'd like to see us draft.

Chiefnj
04-23-2007, 10:19 AM

But he's a guy I'd like to see us draft.

Why wouldn't you be pissed if he was taken in the first? Due to injury he's almost as raw as Staley. He never put up great numbers - even in his soph and jr season.

I'd much rather have a Tyler, Thomas or Mebane in the 2nd or 3rd.

BigChiefFan
04-23-2007, 10:22 AM

But he's a guy I'd like to see us draft.I'd definitely like to see us draft him. Tennessee has put some good DTs in the league in recent years and this kid can hustle. Here's a little tidbit on Harrell...

John Murphy's take: If leadership and determination were the top categories for defensive linemen, then he might be the top pick of the group. He played in a game after suffering a torn biceps tendon and has fought back to record 23 bench reps of 225 pounds at the NFL scouting combine. He has the size to play in a two-gap scheme, lacks long-range speed, but he can make plays at the line of scrimmage. He plays better with his head up, but he can shed and make plays or take up space and allow linebackers to fill the gap. There are not enough interior defenders with his size, toughness, competitiveness and production, so if he passes all the medical exams, his name could still be called on day one.

Marco Polo
04-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Yeah Sims treated us well.

BigChiefFan
04-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Yeah Sims treated us well.
You lost me at hello.

htismaqe
04-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Why wouldn't you be pissed if he was taken in the first? Due to injury he's almost as raw as Staley. He never put up great numbers - even in his soph and jr season.

I'd much rather have a Tyler, Thomas or Mebane in the 2nd or 3rd.

I'd much rather have Tyler, Thomas, or Mebane in a later round as well.

But at least with Harrell, he has a chance to start, since we don't have any real starters currently. Staley would be pretty much guaranteed to sit behind McIntosh and/or Terry.

BigChiefFan
04-23-2007, 11:02 AM
I'd much rather have Tyler, Thomas, or Mebane in a later round as well.

But at least with Harrell, he has a chance to start, since we don't have any real starters currently. Staley would be pretty much guaranteed to sit behind McIntosh and/or Terry. Without trading down in the first, I don't see us standing a chance at Tyler or Mebane with our 2nd rounder, that's why it would be wise to pull the trigger on Harrell. Thomas' drug problem is too risky to take in the first two rounds.

Chiefnj
04-23-2007, 11:11 AM
. There are not enough interior defenders with his size, toughness, competitiveness and production, so if he passes all the medical exams, his name could still be called on day one.

Big difference between being called on DAY one as opposed to #23 in round one.

BigChiefFan
04-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Big difference between being called on DAY one as opposed to #23 in round one.
That's one person's OPINION. I would say 99% of those that follow the draft would say Harrell is a 1st ROUND pick. Are you disagreeing with that sentiment on Harrell?

Brock
04-23-2007, 11:17 AM
That's one person's OPINION. I would say 99% of those that follow the draft would say Harrell is a 1st ROUND pick. Are you disagreeing with that sentiment on Harrell?

I don't think it's anywhere near 99 percent. I don't know that it's even 50.

htismaqe
04-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Several people lately have been talking about Harrell as a possible Top 15 pick. That's definitely the hype-machine at work, but he's always been the 3rd or 4th-best DT on most people's lists...

BigChiefFan
04-23-2007, 11:20 AM
I don't think it's anywhere near 99 percent. I don't know that it's even 50.
Besides Alan Branch and Okoye, I would say he's the consensus number 3. Some are pushing him AHEAD of Branch. He's definitely one of the top DTs this year.

chagrin
04-23-2007, 11:23 AM

I am hearing that the main, if only reason he is getting those high pick speculations is solely because of the Branch fracture story.

Chiefnj
04-23-2007, 11:24 AM

Don't be bitter about me quoting a source that YOU cited and brought to our attention.

Harrell is climbing draft boards the last few weeks. But, this is the time that all the crap comes floating up to the surface - all the rumors, all the unique mocks drafts that are designed to generate hits and talk, in general all the BS.

If Harrell wasn't a 1st round pick 1-2 months ago, I doubt he will be on draft day. Things tend to settle back down 1-2 days prior to the draft.

Personally, I don't think he warrants a 1st round pick - especially at #23. DT is extremely thin (it may be the weakest draft position) so his value gets inflated by those doing mock drafts, etc.

If you were to make up your own value board would Harrell be in the top 23??

Brock
04-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Besides Alan Branch and Okoye, I would say he's the consensus number 3. Some are pushing him AHEAD of Branch. He's definitely one of the top DTs this year.

That hardly makes it a given that he's a sure first rounder.

BigChiefFan
04-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Don't be bitter about me quoting a source that YOU cited and brought to our attention.

Harrell is climbing draft boards the last few weeks. But, this is the time that all the crap comes floating up to the surface - all the rumors, all the unique mocks drafts that are designed to generate hits and talk, in general all the BS.

If Harrell wasn't a 1st round pick 1-2 months ago, I doubt he will be on draft day. Things tend to settle back down 1-2 days prior to the draft.

Personally, I don't think he warrants a 1st round pick - especially at #23. DT is extremely thin (it may be the weakest draft position) so his value gets inflated by those doing mock drafts, etc.

If you were to make up your own value board would Harrell be in the top 23??
I've always had him slated as a 1st rounder, maybe not at 23, but a 1st rounder none the less. I think a players value goes up when it's a position of need. All teams want to address holes and are inclined to reach slightly for a player, especially at a highly-coveted position. I don't think picking Harrell at 23 is that big of a reach. In fact given the nature of the position, 23 sounds just about right.

BTW, I'm not bitter in the least, just pointing out that while the guy had some good points, his isn't the be all and say all about Harrell. I think the guy is playing it SAFE and saying he's a first day pick, instead of of a 1st round pick. I'm willing to stick my neck out and say Harrell will go in the 1st round this year.

chagrin
04-23-2007, 12:15 PM
I've always had him slated as a 1st rounder, maybe not at 23, but a 1st rounder none the less...I'm willing to stick my neck out and say Harrell will go in the 1st round this year.

Too bad your opinions don't do diddly poo for his draft stock, LOL!

BigChiefFan
04-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Too bad your opinions don't do diddly poo for his draft stock, LOL!
We'll soon see where he goes in the draft. Thanks for your awesome feedback!!

Chiefnj
04-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Marcus Thomas update I read from sportsguys.com

"Thomas is massive, but cat quick and very agile. He also possesses the overpowering strength you would expect out of a such a big man. Thomas shows great instincts getting after the ball and he shows the legit moves and burst to stunt well. Yes, Thomas was thrown off the title winning Gators team after failing drug tests, but his agents have provided documentation of successful drug tests throughout the offseason, and have also said they are willing to put in a forfeiture clause of his entire signing bonus if he tests positive at any time during his contract. I'm not worried about his ability to stay clean - he was extremely sincere when we talked about what he learned at the Texas vs. The Nation game"

Looks like he is taking the Castillo route.

BigChiefFan
04-23-2007, 12:46 PM

"Thomas is massive, but cat quick and very agile. He also possesses the overpowering strength you would expect out of a such a big man. Thomas shows great instincts getting after the ball and he shows the legit moves and burst to stunt well. Yes, Thomas was thrown off the title winning Gators team after failing drug tests, but his agents have provided documentation of successful drug tests throughout the offseason, and have also said they are willing to put in a forfeiture clause of his entire signing bonus if he tests positive at any time during his contract. I'm not worried about his ability to stay clean - he was extremely sincere when we talked about what he learned at the Texas vs. The Nation game"

Looks like he is taking the Castillo route.He'll still go AFTER Harrell.

Chiefnj
04-23-2007, 12:48 PM
He'll still go AFTER Harrell.

And he will still be a better cover 2 DT than Harrell.

B_Ambuehl
04-23-2007, 12:57 PM
I would pick Marcus Thomas in Rnd 3 and that other great big Juco sumbitch in round 4 or 5. One of those 2 surely oughta pay off.

BigChiefFan
04-23-2007, 01:03 PM
And he will still be a better cover 2 DT than Harrell.
Believe me I'm not knocking Thomas' skills-he's talented as Hell, but teams will shy away from him because of his history. Getting kicked off a team isn't to be taken lightly, IMO.

Thomas had the world at his fingertips and went down the wrong path. Will he straighten up or go Lawrence Phillips?

Harrell walked the straight and narrow and gave his all when he was severely injured. He never quit on his team. Thomas's choices caused him to let his team mates down, the same can't be said about Harrell. Believe me if Thomas's straightened-up, I loved to have a DT that talented on our roster, but I can't turn a blind eye to his off-the field behavior.

eazyb81
04-23-2007, 01:27 PM

Looks like he is taking the Castillo route.

Interesting strategy by Thomas and his advisors, but it could pay off big time. If the choice is Harrell in the 1st or Thomas in the 2nd, i'll take Thomas every single time. That said, you are taking a big gamble on the guy, and will look silly if Thomas tests positive again.

I'm really not sold on Harrell in the 1st, and I don't see him being the interior pass-rushing force that we need.

SBK
04-23-2007, 02:05 PM
I would pick Marcus Thomas in Rnd 3 and that other great big Juco sumbitch in round 4 or 5. One of those 2 surely oughta pay off.

ROFL

I don't know anything about that JUCO guy, but I want him too.

B_Ambuehl
04-24-2007, 07:37 PM
This is him:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=161207&highlight=Walter+Thomas

chagrin
04-24-2007, 08:01 PM
This is him:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=161207&highlight=Walter+Thomas

Hey man, out of curiosity - If what some are saying is correct, and he isn't really a smrt guy, but has raw talent - and for example Svitek was pretty smart and had raw talent but he hasn't made it yet - would drafting him in the 3rd round be a good idea?

Not being sarcastic, just curious as to your thoughts on that.