PDA

View Full Version : Modern Championship Legends

Direckshun
04-20-2007, 11:42 AM
What are some championships over the last ten years that are going to last in sports lore for decades? Obviously the modern era has nothing like Bird vs. Magic (or does it? "Manning vs. Brady"?), but what's some of the championships from the last ten years across American sports that will entertain my kids the same way Willis Reed vs. Wilt Chamberlain entertains me today?

I bring this up because I was reading an article about the 2004 NBA Finals, which I think easily qualifies as the best modern championship American sports has seen over the last ten years, with the ultimate Team team (Pistons) kicking the pants off the ultimate Individuals team (Lakers), 4-1.

Another one that easily qualifies is Super Bowl XXXIV, "The Tackle." Obviously there was no great rivalry between the Rams and the Titans, nor was there historical significance in the matchup, and the game itself wasn't exactly the barn burner everyone had hyped, but the symbolism of the country's biggest game coming down to one yard... huge.

Those are the only two that blitz to my mind, but do you think there's another championship of the past ten years that will eventually be considered a "classic"?

chagrin
04-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Mr. Giant Taco Salad Inventor

88TG88
04-20-2007, 12:05 PM
USC beating the crap out of OU in '05.

NewChief
04-20-2007, 12:05 PM
If you're talking about actual championship matches/games, I don't know. Lance Armstrong has to go up there for sport accomplishments of the last 10 years, though. I don't think anyone will replicate what he's done for quite some time, if ever.

kepp
04-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Pacman vs. Strippers ?

CoMoChief
04-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Louis Gonzalez against the NYY in the World Series in 2001. Clutch hit by that guy.

CoMoChief
04-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Mr. Giant Taco Salad Inventor

Mr. Driving Range Ball Picker-Upper.

FAX
04-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Great thread, Mr. Direckshun. As you rightfully say, there seem to be no great, classic-in-the-making rivalries that spring immediatly to mind.

So, I'm going with the Princess vs. Luigi in Super Mario Cart.

FAX

noa
04-20-2007, 01:07 PM
It wasn't a championship game per se, but it was a BCS game, so I think you have to count the Boise St. vs. Oklahoma matchup in this year's Fiesta Bowl.
No rivalry history, but it was a small program vs. a big time program and Boise State had to pull every trick out of the book to win that one.

kepp
04-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Mr. Driving Range Ball Picker-Upper.
"OOOOOOOOOOOOOH!"
http://images.usatoday.com/money/_photos/2004/01/12/adtrack2.jpg

CoMoChief
04-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Great thread, Mr. Direckshun. As you rightfully say, there seem to be no great, classic-in-the-making rivalries that spring immediatly to mind.

So, I'm going with the Princess vs. Luigi in Super Mario Cart.

FAX

Koopa Troopa was the shit in that game.