PDA

View Full Version : According to the Kansas City Star!

blackhawk
04-23-2007, 07:20 AM
According to the Kansas City Star, the Chiefs met with California's Marshawn Lynch, Ohio State's Antonio Pittman, Florida State's Lorenzo Booker and Louisville's Kolby Smith. The Chiefs might want the running-back duties shared a little more to save the wear and tear on Larry Johnson.

Mile High Mania
04-23-2007, 07:22 AM
This is the week of the smoke screen by many teams/coaches...

Warrior5
04-23-2007, 07:24 AM

MHM,
What's the latest disinformation concept out of Donk-land?

Mile High Mania
04-23-2007, 07:28 AM
I read earlier that the Broncos had an interest in Calvin Johnson... my first thought was "no shit". Shanahan makes it a point to never really talk to the guys on his radar.

Cutler never had a conversation with them prior to being selected in R1 last year. So, as one of the Denver writers suggested a month ago... if the Broncos are talking to a prospect, scratch him off your wish list.

Mecca
04-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Lorenzo Booker would make an excellent pair with LJ seeing as they are polar opposites, and Booker is extremely versatile and would make a great 3rd down back.

boogblaster
04-23-2007, 07:38 AM
Go Larry Go Back-up .....

JBucc
04-23-2007, 07:42 AM
I like Pittman and Booker. I also like a guy like Darius Walker who can catch some.

htismaqe
04-23-2007, 07:51 AM
I like Pittman and Booker too.

If we're looking for a change-of-pace backup, Booker would be perfect.

But if we're looking at someone who could potentially fill LJ's spot as a feature back, I like Pittman.

L.A. Chieffan
04-23-2007, 07:58 AM
Cutler never had a conversation with them prior to being selected in R1 last year.

Wait a sec, so nobody in the denver orginazation had contact with Cutler before he got drafted??

Mile High Mania
04-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Wait a sec, so nobody in the denver orginazation had contact with Cutler before he got drafted??

Yeah, I just did a quick search over at the DP and RMN... I couldn't find the article. But, from what I recall Denver was not one of the teams that Cutler spoke to prior to being drafted.

Brock
04-23-2007, 08:21 AM
They drafted him without even talking to him....yeah right.

Mile High Mania
04-23-2007, 08:25 AM

You can call bullshit if you like... wish I could find the article. I'm not saying that a scout didn't talk to him at a combine or anything, but from what I recall... Cutler had no direct contact with the coaches.

Mile High Mania
04-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Sweet ... found it.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosheadlines/ci_5563434
Sly Shanahan keeps picks in his pocket
By Bill Williamson
Denver Post Broncos, NFL Beat Reporter
The Denver Post
Article Launched:04/01/2007 01:00:00 AM MDT

If you are an NFL draft prospect with an invitation to visit the Broncos in the next month, don't bother trying to sneak in some house-hunting while you're in town. Odds are you will not be living in Denver any time soon.

Last week at the NFL owners' meetings, Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said the team usually steers clear of players they truly covet before the draft. Last April quarterback Jay Cutler was shocked Denver traded up to take him at No. 11. He never talked to the Broncos before the draft. That's how Denver operates, Jay.

Shanahan said that in 1996, when the team took linebacker John Mobley at No. 15, it shied away from visiting with him. "Jimmy Johnson wanted him," Shanahan said of the former Dallas coach. "If the Cowboys knew we liked John, Jimmy would have traded up." Shanahan said the only time it is necessary to zone in on players before the draft is when you have a top-10 pick.

Shanahan reasons that every team is looking at everybody in that situation. In March, it appeared the Broncos might be in that situation when they were talking to the Lions about their No. 2 pick. The Broncos still could make that move, but it is more likely Denver will make a more modest jump up the draft board from No. 21. "

L.A. Chieffan
04-23-2007, 08:36 AM
That's pretty crazy, trading up and risking a #1 pick (let alone a QB) on a guy you've never even sat down and talked to. I'm so glad it worked out for you guys.

the Talking Can
04-23-2007, 08:43 AM
are pittman and booker round 2 guys? round 3?

wouldn't shock me at all, unlike the Donkos the Chiefs usually have some kind of contact with their eventual picks...but it sure makes that 4th for Bennett last year a waste..

Mile High Mania
04-23-2007, 08:46 AM
That's pretty crazy, trading up and risking a #1 pick (let alone a QB) on a guy you've never even sat down and talked to. I'm so glad it worked out for you guys.

I can't imagine that a scout didn't have a conversation him at some point. And, with all the reports... game film... analysis from 'experts', etc... you can get a lot of info on a guy without talking to him.

L.A. Chieffan
04-23-2007, 08:47 AM
I can't imagine that a scout didn't have a conversation him at some point. And, with all the reports... game film... analysis from 'experts', etc... you can get a lot of info on a guy without talking to him.
That's what the Chargers said about Leaf.

Mile High Mania
04-23-2007, 08:49 AM
That's what the Chargers said about Leaf.

Yeah, but IIRC ... there were lots of questions about Leaf as well.

L.A. Chieffan
04-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Actually Manning was the one with all the questions that year. Was he accurate enough, arm-strength, can he win the big game?
Leaf was considered the guy with a lot more upside and potential.
But I remember a story where someone asked both QB's before the draft, what would they do if they we're drafted #1.
Manning said he would get the playbook and start studying it.
Leaf said he was gonna go to Vegas and party his ass off.

Mile High Mania
04-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Yeah, SD should have noticed the red flag...

Mile High Mania
04-23-2007, 08:58 AM
I don't get too caught up in who I'd like to see Denver draft anymore. They always go a route that I didn't expect.

I was so excited when Steven Jackson was falling to them... then bam, they go LB (IIRC). I was so let down.

Then last year... they trade up and I'm thinking "ooohhhh, who could it be?" Then they call out Cutler. Appears to be the right move, but nothing that I expected at all.

HemiEd
04-23-2007, 09:05 AM
wouldn't shock me at all, unlike the Donkos the Chiefs usually have some kind of contact with their eventual picks

The Chiefs at least "do Dinner."

htismaqe
04-23-2007, 09:11 AM
Yeah, but IIRC ... there were lots of questions about Leaf as well.

Cutler has some of the same questions...

Mile High Mania
04-23-2007, 09:14 AM
Cutler has some of the same questions...

I don't think he has any of the same attitude questions... granted, I was surprised by the move, but he had some nice moments in 2006. Cutler still has a ton to prove and can by no means be tagged as a success just yet.

Nobody can say they haven't surrounded him with talent... they have some issues on the Oline to address, but the weapons are there for Cutler to be successful.

Coogs
04-23-2007, 09:17 AM
I have not seen it posted anywhere here, but on the radio this AM, they were discussing the validity of the rumor that Buffalo has some interest in LJ.

BigChiefFan
04-23-2007, 09:17 AM
I don't see anything out of line with the news. We traded our 4th rounder for Bennett last year, HOPING that would pay-off. Injury-king could get on the field. I think we defintely will draft a HB at some point in the upcoming draft.

the Talking Can
04-23-2007, 09:18 AM
The Chiefs at least "do Dinner."

outside I'm laughing, inside I'm crying

vailpass
04-23-2007, 09:23 AM

Jeff Fisher spent a lot of time with Cutler, Young, and Leinhart since he was going to get to choose between at least 2 of them thaqt year.
Shanny and Fisher are tight, Shanny called Fisher on the side and asked him how his interview with Cutler went.
Fisher gave Shanny the whole scoop. So Shanny got a coach's interview without having to tip his hand.

Mile High Mania
04-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Jeff Fisher spent a lot of time with Cutler, Young, and Leinhart since he was going to get to choose between at least 2 of them thaqt year.
Shanny and Fisher are tight, Shanny called Fisher on the side and asked him how his interview with Cutler went.
Fisher gave Shanny the whole scoop. So Shanny got a coach's interview without having to tip his hand.

Yeah - I actually do recall that now. I believe I saw Fisher doing an interview once about the 3 QBs and he referenced them and talked about speaking to Shanny.

L.A. Chieffan
04-23-2007, 09:28 AM
TAMPERING!
MORE EVIDENCE OF DONK-CHEATING!
:p

BigChiefFan
Yeah - I actually do recall that now. I believe I saw Fisher doing an interview once about the 3 QBs and he referenced them and talked about speaking to Shanny.
I bet Shanny hasn't spoken to Adrian Peterson. I think that's who Shanny covets this year. That sly weasel.

ClevelandBronco

That's my recollection of how it went. Fisher told Shanny that the kid was solid.

mikey23545
04-23-2007, 09:29 AM
I read earlier that the Broncos had an interest in Calvin Johnson... my first thought was "no shit". Shanahan makes it a point to never really talk to the guys on his radar.

Cutler never had a conversation with them prior to being selected in R1 last year. So, as one of the Denver writers suggested a month ago... if the Broncos are talking to a prospect, scratch him off your wish list.

That's just paranoid to not even talk to your number one choice before the draft.

Shanarat and Allie Davis are getting to be more alike every year...Both getting crazier than shithouse rats, and both rapidly losing their ability to field winners.

htismaqe
04-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Can we get back to talking about the Chiefs?

Nobody here cares one iota about Jay-sus Cutler.

Mile High Mania
04-23-2007, 09:33 AM
That's just paranoid to not even talk to your number one choice before the draft.

Shanarat and Allie Davis are getting to be more alike every year...Both getting crazier than shithouse rats, and both rapidly losing their ability to field winners.

You're insane... especially with the last comment. Shanahan has had one losing (below .500) season in his entire Denver tenure (1999). Wins of 9, 13, 10 and 10 the last 4 seasons.

Denver should have had 10 wins last year, but that didn't happen thanks to the QB change down the stretch and the defense folding.

Mile High Mania
04-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Can we get back to talking about the Chiefs?

Nobody here cares one iota about Jay-sus Cutler.

I agree ... and I didn't bring it up, but I'm more than willing to entertain.

Mr. Laz
04-23-2007, 09:37 AM
According to some around here, the Chiefs would never pay for a player to come a visit as a smoke screen.

chagrin
04-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Sirius Football show i am listening to - they led off the show talking about how pissed off Trent is now that the deal isn't done, heh.

Also they said don't be suprised if KC take a 3rd round RB.

FWIW

Wile_E_Coyote
04-23-2007, 10:03 AM
I remember reading about Sammy Knight asking Peterson how come the deal for Surtain wasn't done yet. Pat was wanting it done. The fins would not let the Chiefs give Surtain a physical until the trade details were hammered out.

Trent should know better than be pissed, it's how it is done

Redrum_69
04-23-2007, 10:04 AM
:(

NIU32
04-23-2007, 10:09 AM
draft GARRETT WOLFE...say goodbye to dante!

HemiEd
04-23-2007, 11:54 AM
I have not seen it posted anywhere here, but on the radio this AM, they were discussing the validity of the rumor that Buffalo has some interest in LJ.

Buffalo has no money, they have an owner who is trying to convince the fan base, that his team is being treated unfairly. I don't see any chance of this happening myself.

HemiEd
04-23-2007, 11:55 AM
outside I'm laughing, inside I'm crying

Same here Can.

CoMoChief
04-23-2007, 11:58 AM
If we draft Lynch in the first round I'm not watching any football games this season.

StcChief
04-23-2007, 12:00 PM

I think the jury is still out here. 1/2 season starting. ..... time will tell, that is a very risky move NOT talking to a player prior. His background was checked and evaluated.

Mecca
04-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Buffalo has no money, they have an owner who is trying to convince the fan base, that his team is being treated unfairly. I don't see any chance of this happening myself.

I'm sure spending 50 million on a guard is a good way to show you have no money.......

ChiefsCountry
04-23-2007, 03:35 PM
LJ for Buffalo's #1 would be nice. Wont happen though.

Iowanian
04-23-2007, 03:36 PM
What about a 2nd day flyer on Bush of Louisville?

I know he's hurt....but that kid could run.

htismaqe
04-23-2007, 03:37 PM
What about a 2nd day flyer on Bush of Louisville?

I know he's hurt....but that kid could run.

Remember the last Louisville RB we took?

ROFL

ChiefsCountry
04-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Remember the last Louisville RB we took?

ROFL

I think Bush is alittle better than Frank Moreau. :)

htismaqe
04-23-2007, 03:43 PM
I think Bush is alittle better than Frank Moreau. :)

That's Frank Munroe to you! He's right up there with Ryan Simms and Sammy Parker.

crazycoffey
04-23-2007, 03:46 PM
What's FWIW and IIRC?

KcMizzou
04-23-2007, 03:47 PM
What's FWIW and IIRC? for what it's worth

and...

If I recall correctly

vailpass
04-23-2007, 03:49 PM
What's FWIW and IIRC?

Instead of a fish, a fishing pole:

http://www.netlingo.com/

crazycoffey
04-23-2007, 11:43 PM
for what it's worth

and...

If I recall correctly

I was close on the first and had no clue for the second.......

crazycoffey
04-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Instead of a fish, a fishing pole:

http://www.netlingo.com/

ummm, thanks?

SoCalBronco
04-24-2007, 12:52 AM

This is standard Bronco practice. All of the following former Denver draft picks are on record saying that they had absolutely ZERO contact with Denver in the pre-draft process (this includes not even being interviewed):

Al Wilson- 1999 1st round pick
Terry Pierce- 2003 2nd round pick
D.J. Williams-2004 1st round pick
Jay Cutler-2006 1st round pick

Im sure there are alot more than that, but those are the ones I know for sure.

Shanny is notoriously paranoid about this, he likes to completely hide his intentions.

shrek6849
04-24-2007, 02:01 AM

Dumbass.