kczoo
04-23-2007, 04:17 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/NFL_SC-RUMOR

Mile High Mania
04-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Smoke screen.

noa
04-23-2007, 04:19 PM
According to the Denver Post, the Broncos offered first, second and third round picks in this year's NFL Draft, plus their first-round pick in 2008, for the Lions' No. 2 selection. This trade was contingent on the Oakland Raiders not taking Calvin Johnson with their No. 1 choice.

Damn. The Lions would have to take a sweet offer like that.

Mile High Mania
04-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Color me shocked if it were to happen, but I just don't see it...

vailpass
04-23-2007, 04:28 PM
This is old news, Denver made this offer weeks ago, note the use of past tense.
See this blurb from the Denver Post:

Will Broncos address "D" in draft?
Denver remains intrigued by Calvin Johnson
By Mike Klis
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 04/23/2007 12:01:22 AM M

"...Yet to date, the only known draft play by the Broncos' three-headed think tank of Mike Shanahan, Ted Sundquist and Jim Goodman has been to seek receiver Calvin Johnson through the No. 2 draft pick held by the Detroit Lions. And not just once did the Broncos go after Johnson, but twice.

The first time, the Broncos proposed adding middle linebacker Al Wilson and their No. 21 overall pick as an extension to finalize a deal that sent Tatum Bell and George Foster to the Lions in exchange for Dré Bly. The second time, the Broncos offered picks in the first, second and third rounds, plus their first-round pick in 2008, for the Lions' No. 2 selection, a trade contingent on the Oakland Raiders not taking Johnson with their No. 1 choice.

In one sense, the flirtation with Johnson followed form. In recent years, the Broncos have approached the early rounds by taking the best available player, first; a position of need, second. "

BigRock
04-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Talk about a win/win. If they're just doing that to F with the Raiders, good for Shanny. If they actually gave up that much for one guy, good for everyone else.

Mile High Mania
04-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Well, not incredibly old ... Klis' article was posted today according to what you provided.

vailpass
04-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Well, not incredibly old ... Klis' article was posted today according to what you provided.

Right, I meant the trade offer was old. The guy at sportsline is making it sound like the deal is on the table.

Mile High Mania
04-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Gotta love the final days to the draft...

I always watch the first 20 or so picks in the draft - usually some good drama, I just get beaten down with the time between picks.

Mecca
04-23-2007, 05:02 PM
If Johnson is on the board at 2 with I suspect will happen Detroit is going to be fielding some tremendous offers of teams trying to outbid each other for him.

Mr. Laz
04-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Denver Broncos Updated:04/23/2007
According to the Denver Post, the Broncos offered first, second and third round picks in this year's NFL Draft, plus their first-round pick in 2008, for the Lions' No. 2 selection. This trade was contingent on the Oakland Raiders not taking Calvin Johnson with their No. 1 choice.

stlchiefs
04-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Gotta love the final days to the draft...

I always watch the first 20 or so picks in the draft - usually some good drama, I just get beaten down with the time between picks.

That's where beer comes in. It's the closest thing to an NFL game right now.

Mile High Mania
04-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Still a smoke screen.

The Bad Guy
04-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Damn. The Lions would have to take a sweet offer like that.

Bullshit.

The Chargers got Rivers, another number 1 and a 2nd round pick to move down 4 spots.

The Broncos should start offering their next 5 #1's. Then that might be enough value.

shrek6849
04-23-2007, 06:11 PM
With a franchise QB only 5 games into his career, I'd go all out for this guy. He is the closest thing to a sure fire All Pro as you will find in any draft.

kcfanXIII
04-23-2007, 06:25 PM
With a franchise QB only 5 games into his career, I'd go all out for this guy. He is the closest thing to a sure fire All Pro as you will find in any draft.

Do it. Do it.

there are no all pros in a draft. they become all pro only after proving they are the best in the nfl. not saying he won't become one, but let him prove himself before slapping titles on the guy.

Mile High Mania
04-23-2007, 06:36 PM
This trade will never happen ... that #2 pick is worth 2600 points. Denver's R1 pick is equal to 800 and R2 and R3 are 580 combined. Denver's R1 in 2008 is an unknown and would have to be a top 16 pick to make up that 1,000 point difference.

OctoberFart
04-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Talk about a win/win. If they're just doing that to F with the Raiders, good for Shanny. If they actually gave up that much for one guy, good for everyone else.
How would that F with the Raiders?

noa
04-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Bullshit.

The Chargers got Rivers, another number 1 and a 2nd round pick to move down 4 spots.

The Broncos should start offering their next 5 #1's. Then that might be enough value.

I guess we'll have to see if anyone makes a better offer.

htismaqe
04-23-2007, 07:56 PM
This trade will never happen ... that #2 pick is worth 2600 points. Denver's R1 pick is equal to 800 and R2 and R3 are 580 combined. Denver's R1 in 2008 is an unknown and would have to be a top 16 pick to make up that 1,000 point difference.

Exactly.

Detroit's 1st-rounder is worth DOUBLE what Denver reportedly offered...

htismaqe
04-23-2007, 07:57 PM
I guess we'll have to see if anyone makes a better offer.

Detroit's not going to trade down just for sake of trading down. They'll take Thomas or Adams there and feel good about it...

cdcox
04-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Detroit's not going to trade down just for sake of trading down. They'll take Thomas or Adams there and feel good about it...

Why wouldn't they draft Calvin Johnson then trade him to Cleveland or Tampa for their rounds 1 and 3 picks?

htismaqe
04-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Why wouldn't they draft Calvin Johnson then trade him to Cleveland or Tampa for their rounds 1 and 3 picks?

They could do that. Or they could just as easily trade their pick to Cleveland for their picks, and let them take Johnson. It works either way.

But they're not gonna take a package from Denver that's worth essentially HALF of what their pick is worth, just because there's no other suitors.

cdcox
04-23-2007, 08:12 PM
They could do that. Or they could just as easily trade their pick to Cleveland for their picks, and let them take Johnson. It works either way.

But they're not gonna take a package from Denver that's worth essentially HALF of what their pick is worth, just because there's no other suitors.

I agree that Detroit shouldn't trade away that much to Denver, but with Milan it wouldn't be an absolute shock.

noa
04-23-2007, 08:14 PM

First, I'm sure there will be other suitors if the Faiders don't take Calvin Johnson.
Second, considering how many needs the Lions have, you don't think they'd be tempted by the prospect of having two 2nd round picks and 3rd round picks this year as well as two 1st rounders next year? Plus, it would remove the risk from Millen to have another high pick bust. They wouldn't get a superstar like Johnson or Joe Thomas, but they could get some good value out of those 3 extra picks.

htismaqe
04-23-2007, 08:23 PM
First, I'm sure there will be other suitors if the Faiders don't take Calvin Johnson.
Second, considering how many needs the Lions have, you don't think they'd be tempted by the prospect of having two 2nd round picks and 3rd round picks this year as well as two 1st rounders next year? Plus, it would remove the risk from Millen to have another high pick bust. They wouldn't get a superstar like Johnson or Joe Thomas, but they could get some good value out of those 3 extra picks.

Do I think they'd be tempted by the prospect of having 2 picks in every round on the 1st day? Sure.

Do I think they'd be tempted by the prospect of having DENVER'S picks? Not a ****ing chance.

Eleazar
04-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Everyone is thinking there's no scenario where the Lions select Johnson and keep him. I think that's exactly what's going to happen.

The Lions have been trying to match up a 1-2 receiving threat up for a long time between Charles Rogers and Roy Williams and Mike Williams, and they gave Az-Zahir Hakim a ton of money to that end as well. Now that Martz is there with his system, why do we think they value the WR position any less than they always have? Roy Williams is a proven commodity and a lot of people feel that Johnson is as close as a draft pick could be as well. That would finish what they have been trying to do for a long time.

Like someone said above, they aren't going to trade the pick to Denver for 50% of its value just because they missed on 2 out of 3 receivers in the past.

Millen might have a kooky idea of how to run a football team, but I don't think he's going to look at Johnson and think this guy's going to be a bust because Rogers and Williams were. Those two guys have nothing to do with what's sitting in front of him in this draft.

BigRock
04-23-2007, 10:10 PM
How would that F with the Raiders?
Aren't people saying that the Raiders don't know who to pick, that they might go different ways depending on what shakes out with Green, Culpepper, etc? If Al is considering Calvin Johnson at all, he couldn't be too thrilled with the possibility that passing on him would send Johnson to the Broncos instead. Some rethinking might have to be done.