PDA

View Full Version : Russell Simmons says no more B*tch, Ho and N*gg*r in rap

Deberg_1990
04-23-2007, 06:57 PM
I seriously doubt this will ever happen....but its nice to see...baby steps.

I think Whitlock really did have an effect on all this.....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070423/music_nm/usa_hiphop_dc

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Prominent U.S. hip-hop executive Russell Simmons on Monday recommended eliminating the words "bitch," "ho" and "******" from the recording industry, considering them "extreme curse words."

The call comes less than two weeks after radio personality Don Imus' nationally syndicated and televised radio show was canceled amid public outcry over Imus calling a women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos."

Simmons, co-founder of the Def Jam label and a driving force behind hip-hop's huge commercial success, called for voluntary restrictions on the words and setting up an industry watchdog to recommend guidelines for lyrical and visual standards.

"We recommend that the recording and broadcast industries voluntarily remove/bleep/delete the misogynistic words 'bitch' and 'ho' and the racially offensive word '******'," Simmons and Benjamin Chavis, co-chairmen of the advocacy group Hip-Hop Summit Action Network, said in a statement.

"These three words should be considered with the same objections to obscenity as 'extreme curse words'," it said.

Ho is slang for whore and commonly used in hip-hop music while ******, a derogatory term for blacks, is among the most highly charged insults in American culture. The slur "nappy," used by Imus, describes the tightly curled hair of many African Americans.

CHANGING STANCE

Monday's statement changed course from another one by Simmons and Chavis dated April 13, a day after Imus' show was canceled, in which they said offensive references in hip-hop "may be uncomfortable for some to hear, but our job is not to silence or censor that expression."

The Imus controversy stoked a debate in the United States about how to deal with inflammatory words that are widely considered highly offensive but at the same time commonly and casually used in youth culture.

U.S. black leaders such as Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have led the charge to suppress offensive words while many artists have argued for freedom of expression. New York City declared a symbolic moratorium on the so-called N-word in February.

"Our internal discussions with industry leaders are not about censorship. Our discussions are about the corporate social responsibility of the industry to voluntarily show respect to African Americans and other people of color, African American women and to all women in lyrics and images," the statement from Simmons and Chavis said on Monday.

The network recommended the formation of a Coalition on Broadcast Standards that would consist of leading executives from music, radio and television.

PunkinDrublic
04-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Well good for him if he's willing to make a stand and set an example. Simmons is one of the most powerful figures in hip hop. But I'll believe it win I see it.

Mile High Mania
04-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Will never happen...

bogie
04-23-2007, 07:17 PM
That's not what he said when he was a guest on the Oprah show. He's changed his tune.

PunkinDrublic
04-23-2007, 07:23 PM
That's not what he said when he was a guest on the Oprah show. He's changed his tune.

What was he saying on Oprah I missed that part?

cdcox
04-23-2007, 07:23 PM

Defending that position while keeping any influence with mainstream society was untenable in the current climate. He was smart enough to see it. I hold out hope for change, and this is a start.

cdcox
04-23-2007, 07:24 PM
What was he saying on Oprah I missed that part?

Don't try to censor the "poets".

Coach
04-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think they'll do it, citing the 1st Admendment, Freedom of Speech.

kstater
04-23-2007, 07:25 PM
So calling someone a nappy headed ho isn't acceptable anymore?

stevieray
04-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think they'll do it, citing the 1st Admendment, Freedom of Speech.

Freedom to choose not to use the words that propigate the widening of the divide.

Extra Point
04-23-2007, 07:35 PM
Now it will be honky, white boy, and cracker.

ChiefsfaninPA
04-23-2007, 07:35 PM
So basically there will be no more rap because that is all I ever hear when I listen to this new stuff.

Stryker
04-23-2007, 07:37 PM
So basically there will be no more rap because that is all I ever hear when I listen to this new stuff.

You are correct. Shame is, it will never happen. :shake:

kcxiv
04-23-2007, 07:39 PM
So mainstream rap will go to hell and Underground rap will be all that people buy? Ok, that works.

NewChief
04-23-2007, 07:47 PM
In potentially related news, someone has announced a reunion tour:
http://www.recordresearch.com/Album_Photos/images/DJ%20Jazzy%20Jeff.jpg

Megbert
04-23-2007, 08:02 PM
What's this mean for "Iceman Imus" burgeoning hardcore rap career?

ChiefFan31
04-23-2007, 08:14 PM
Whatever. Its just posturing. I call BS.

chagrin
04-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Don't try to censor the "poets".

I saw that, I am so glad I wrote down my thoughts and notes from the show:

Wow, there really is some dopey dudes running that balck music industry.

Okay, Russell Simmons defend all rappers as poets and compares them to the poets of olden times.

Common basically blames it on whitey, the Older guy (I cannot remember his name, but he founded the summit action network with Simmons) blames it on prison life i.e. the reason "so many black men are in prison" and Simmons said "first what we have to do is find out why so many black men are in prison."

So far not one of them have admitted any fault whatsoever, on the Rap industry. Simmons and his older guy partner dude said that the poets were expressing themselves. So the black women in the crows started referencing the videos, saying do you have to have the naked women and sexist displays, right after he said that - pretty funny. Of course he had no response.

Fatlock is out there too, he tried to interrupt Simmons.

Simmons continues to reference rappers as "the poets" and how they are being wrongly judged.

The point is that nobody blames all the problems on Rap music, not at all, but he and the panel there are deflecting all responsibility to slavery and I for one (and I am probably the only one) am really not buying that and I am really tired of hearing that.

Anyway, basically the black women in this group dislike the rap thing and I have heard 2 people say "if you are able to fire Imus and remove him from his career you should remove these artists from their careers as well, that was his art.

pretty good show I'd say overall, other than the usual deflections.

Then a REAL poet stood up, a lady who actually lives in "the hood in brooklyn" and she said it's not acceptable to just encourage that sort of stuff and that they should intervene.

I stopped watching after about 35 minutes, as it got worse - the more heat the people brought, the more defensive the panel became - at one point they almost seemed combative against the public.

big nasty kcnut
04-23-2007, 08:24 PM
It's my fault cause i do listen to some gansta rap music but they can express themself without useing those three words. Hell snoop dogg made his own words.

Skip Towne
04-23-2007, 08:36 PM
A hip-hop executive? I didn't know there were any hip-hop executives.

Redrum_69
04-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Heres some trivia:

What was the name of the song and group to include one or more of those words in a rap?

jlscorpio
04-24-2007, 01:20 AM
What about when said MC refers to his ho's as "Tricks", I've always enjoyed that

Taco John
04-24-2007, 02:06 AM
Some real conversation for your ass...

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dSJxvi767kQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>

|Zach|
04-24-2007, 02:24 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TjNNxnKVEpQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TjNNxnKVEpQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Taco John
04-24-2007, 02:41 AM
Ack! You had to ruin it by posting the lame version... :gag:

Abba-Dabba
04-24-2007, 04:28 AM
Russell Simmons has made millions off of using "bitch," "ho" and "******". He has made more money out of it than anyone else in rap music history. I seriously doubt he has any intentions of actually following through on any of his "recommendations", ever.

Taco John
04-24-2007, 12:42 PM
By the way... Here is the original...

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2_N3CK-6CHk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>

ChiefFripp
04-24-2007, 03:38 PM
That would be like taking the guitar out of metal.

StcChief
04-24-2007, 04:38 PM
How about NO MORE RAP.

kcxiv
04-24-2007, 05:08 PM
How about NO MORE RAP.
Its llike saying no more country music.. Its just not going to happen, to much money involved.

el borracho
04-24-2007, 05:21 PM
How about NO MORE RAP.
How about we still have rap but people just listen to the music instead of living it.

CoMoChief
04-24-2007, 05:32 PM
This will never happen.

But the blacks can thank retards such as Sharpton and Jackson for this happening. They just brought it all on themselves.

patteeu
04-24-2007, 05:34 PM
My understanding is that his proposal is to remove these words only from the "clean" versions of songs so that they won't go out over the airwaves when played by radio. So don't worry, bitches. The "explicit" versions of these songs will still be available for us *****z and hos who want to keep it real.

cdcox
04-24-2007, 05:39 PM
My understanding is that his proposal is to remove these words only from the "clean" versions of songs so that they won't go out over the airwaves when played by radio. So don't worry, bitches. The "explicit" versions of these songs will still be available for us *****z and hos who want to keep it real.

IMO this idea perpetuates the hypocrisy and is the worst idea possible. It only makes it cooler if it is less accessible.

KChiefer
04-24-2007, 05:40 PM
In potentially related news, someone has announced a reunion tour:
http://www.recordresearch.com/Album_Photos/images/DJ%20Jazzy%20Jeff.jpg

"Will Smith don't gotta cuss in his raps to sell his records; well I do, so **** him and **** you too!" - Eminem