PDA

View Full Version : Do you have any soft sales tips for a newbie?

Mr. Flopnuts
04-23-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm opening my own business. This is the first time I've tried anything like this and I'm turning 30 on Thursday. It's exciting, scary, and daunting all at the same time. The line of business I'm going into requires me to sell my product to, of all people bar owners. This is a different kind of a group to begin with. While I have some very limited experience with it, and am very easy going when it comes to talking to people, I'm by no means a sales pro. I find myself uncomfortable when even talking to people about their money. Any tips, advice, or words of encouragement any of you can offer would be more appreciated than you know. Thanks in advance.

Dunit35
04-23-2007, 09:38 PM
All you have to do is sell yourself. If they like you, theres a good chance they will buy something from you.

Phobia
04-23-2007, 09:39 PM
You don't have to be their best friend. Relationships are good and make for a pleasant transaction but you have to show them how your product is going to put additional money in their pocket by bringing more people in the door and causing them to stay or saving time for the help. They aren't going to buy because you're easy to talk to and tell funny jokes.

Phobia
04-23-2007, 09:40 PM
All you have to do is sell yourself. If they like you, theres a good chance they will buy something from you.

We're talking about business owners - you could bring them world class hookers and take them golfing 365 days a year but that doesn't mean they're buying your crap.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-23-2007, 09:43 PM
You don't have to be their best friend. Relationships are good and make for a pleasant transaction but you have to show them how your product is going to put additional money in their pocket by bringing more people in the door and causing them to stay or saving time for the help. They aren't going to buy because you're easy to talk to and tell funny jokes.

I appreciate this Phobs. The one thing I have is a product that will make money for bar owners, I'm just a little apprehensive about what kind of a show I'm supposed to put on out there. I feel that my product will sell itself, if I can just be me I shouldn't have any problems. Some on here may debate that last part. :p

milkman
04-23-2007, 09:43 PM
I'd offer advice, but I'm a terrible salesman.

Here's one thing I've always found doesn't work.

Lose patience with your customer.

Extra Point
04-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Good for you! I waited til I was 40.

Three things may help:

Be Brief (Your customer's time is valuable, so is a simple explanation of how your products work, and how they can help him)

Be Bright (Find ways that the customer saves money/makes money by using your products) and

Be Gone! (You appreciate a good value, and your customer appreciates one more than you do; you can use him as a reference to get more clients)!

Dunit35
04-23-2007, 09:53 PM
avoid going in during busy hours, that would piss me off if someone did that.

Halfcan
04-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Are you doing the condom machines? lol

Customers don't care what you know til they know that you care. If you have a good product, and they don't have to do shit to make some extra $$-you should be fine. Good luck, you are going to kick some ass!!!!

Halfcan
04-23-2007, 10:01 PM
I don't know anything about bars-never been in one.

Halfcan
04-23-2007, 10:01 PM
that I didn't like

stumppy
04-23-2007, 10:04 PM
I appreciate this Phobs. The one thing I have is a product that will make money for bar owners, I'm just a little apprehensive about what kind of a show I'm supposed to put on out there.

Putting on a 'show' is the last thing you want to do. Just talk to them like you would anyone you know.
Being proffesional, confident and honest is 95% of what it takes to be great salesman.
And you need to loose any apprehension you have about talking to people about money. If you are uncomfortable asking them to spend their money they'll pick up on it. And it will make them uncomfortable spending it with you.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-23-2007, 10:07 PM
that I didn't like

:LOL: I knew there had to be a punch line. I appreciate all of the input guys. I am excited, but it is a little scary. I didn't fully understand how much time, effort, energy, money, and faith this would take. I guess nothing that's worth anything is ever easy.

Phobia
04-23-2007, 10:08 PM
I'd also pick up a couple books on reading people. You need to know how to read your customers so you can know if and when you need to push or when you need to walk away to let them mull it over. Even more importantly you need to recognize when you've lost a sale so you can stop wasting your time and move on to the next victim errr, satisfied customer.

chief52
04-23-2007, 10:18 PM
avoid going in during busy hours, that would piss me off if someone did that.

That is a very important point. Even if you have a great product at a great price, you are not as important as filling the next cocktail for the customer. Hit the place in the morning when the guy that calls the shots is there and there are few if any people in the place.

Same can be said for applying for a job.

Dunit35
04-23-2007, 10:22 PM
That is a very important point. Even if you have a great product at a great price, you are not as important as filling the next cocktail for the customer. Hit the place in the morning when the guy that calls the shots is there and there are few if any people in the place.

Same can be said for applying for a job.

I am well not much longer in management at a restuarant. If there is one thing that pisses me off it's when people do exactly that when we are busy.

Nzoner
04-23-2007, 10:34 PM
I've been in sales for 25 years now,going on 17 with my own company and first and foremost if you're planning on making a career of it you'll need one book and one book only...

How To Master The Art Of Selling by Tom Hopkins (http://www.amazon.com/How-Master-Art-Selling-Hopkins/dp/0446386367)

Book Description
The book that launched over 3,000,000 careers worldwide! No longer a well-kept secret, Tom’s mega-hit book is placed within arm’s reach on every top producer’s desk. It’s considered the world’s best reference guide and has been used for more than 17 years in every sales profession. Even if you’ve been selling for years, you’ll find page after page of valuable information guaranteed to help you serve more clients while boosting your bank account.

As for a few tips,invest in some blank Thank You cards and stamps and send a handwritten one to each contact in the beginning,yes,no or maybes and always end the note with Sucessfully and your first name,I promise you you won't be disappointed I built my company on sending thank you's over and over.When you put the card in the envelope put it in upside down with one of your buisness cards in it this way when person takes it out the card will flutter to the ground.Normally the person will pick card up in one hand while holding and reading thank you in the other,this creates a double impact,a thank you with your name and a business card with your name.

Always remember you are in the people buisness first,love people and use money not vice versa and you will take off quick.

Tom's book is full of great ideas and it will take you step by step from the greeting when making the intial contact all the way through the final closing of the sale.

If the going is tough at the start try and remember these few things also in Tom's book

I never see failure as failure but only as the negative feedback I need to change course in my direction.

I never see failure as failure but only as an opportunity to improve my presentation and sharpen my technique.

I never see failure as failure but only as the game I MUST play to win.

I've rambled enough but can't say enough good about the book,good luck,sales is a GREAT business,you get to write your own check but in order to make what you want you've got to have technique.

stlchiefs
04-23-2007, 11:01 PM
You wanna learn how to be a salesman? Screw the books, watch Tommy Boy.

Seriously though, I'm sure you've done your research if you are going out on your own, but I just solicited over 500 businesses for an auction and found that a majority of owners are only at the businesses early in the morning select days of the week for a few hours. You probably already knew this, but good luck to you.