PDA

View Full Version : So who walks after this season? LJ or Allen?

Coogs
04-24-2007, 11:54 AM
Briggs, Turner and Green on the move?

By Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

THE REAL DEAL
It got little notice last season, but Kansas City running back Larry Johnson played in enough games to void the final two years of his contract in 2008 and 2009.

Now, 2007 is scheduled to be the last year on Johnson's contract, which is one reason the Chiefs have been so active in bringing top college running backs to Kansas City for visits.

The Chiefs would like to reduce Johnson's workload, but they also need to cover themselves in the event that they cannot hammer out a new contract with their Pro Bowl running back. By drafting a running back on Saturday, something they have intimated to others that they will do, they have the insurance against Johnson that they need.

And it doesn't look like Johnson is on the trading block, as some have speculated. Any team trading for Johnson would have to work out a long-term contract with his agent, and to date, there have been no contract talks with other teams.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, let's say LJ does not like what is going on this season, and opts to not sign a contract extention. Allen would also not be under contract. You can only franchise one of them. That would mean one of them could walk away, and we would basically get nothing but a compensation pick. And even that is a maybe, because that depends on players we sign as well as who walked away.

percysnow
04-24-2007, 11:56 AM
if we let LJ go we r making a BIG mistake. . Allen with all his offield trouble and missing games is starting to become a liability. .as much as i like Allen I say let him go

Mr. Laz
04-24-2007, 11:58 AM
if this is LJ's last year under his initial contract then the Chiefs have to decide whether or not they planned to give him a big contract.

yes .. then do it

no ... then they need to look for a replacement and need to look for a LJ trade in this year's draft.

i suppose they can still franchise him at the end of the year but that is a really high number.

Coogs
04-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Here are the franchise numbers for this season...

2007 Exclusive Franchise Player Costs by Position
Position Cost
Quarterback $12,615,000
Offensive Linemen (includes Offensive Tackle, Offensive Guard, Center) $9,556,000
Defensive End $8,644,000
Wide Receiver $7,613,000
Cornerback $7,790,000
Linebacker $7,206,000
Running Back (includes all Fullbacks and Halfbacks) $6,999,000
Defensive Tackle $6,775,000
Safety $4,490,000
Tight end $4,371,000
Punter or Kicker $2,078,000

kcxiv
04-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Probably Both.

Coogs
04-24-2007, 12:06 PM
if this is LJ's last year under his initial contract then the Chiefs have to decide whether or not they planned to give him a big contract.

yes .. then do it

no ... then they need to look for a replacement and need to look for a LJ trade in this year's draft.

i suppose they can still franchise him at the end of the year but that is a really high number.

That is kind of my thinking. If CP feels he can not sign either of them, then one of them needs to be traded so we get something in return. We can always franchise the other one.

And I suppose we could always trade them before the trading deadline which is in October (or something like that) as well.

Just something to think about.

htismaqe
04-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Both.

Micjones
04-24-2007, 12:08 PM
I think if it's anybody it'll be Allen.

Mr. Laz
04-24-2007, 12:12 PM
That is kind of my thinking. If CP feels he can not sign either of them, then one of them needs to be traded so we get something in return. We can always franchise the other one.

And I suppose we could always trade them before the trading deadline which is in October (or something like that) as well.

Just something to think about.
true ... but i think the value for LJ is higher right now than it will be in october.

i think Jared Allens value is lower now than it will be IF HE CAN STAY CLEAN.

if somebody gets traded now ... it's LJ

that said ... i doubt it.

LJ is Carl's player ... it will take a serious push by Herm to make that move.

CoMoChief
04-24-2007, 12:18 PM
I say keep them both.

Coogs
04-24-2007, 12:19 PM
I say keep them both.

Might be impossible. Right now LJ and Allen hold the cards. And Allen has already stated he will not be back next year.

CoMoChief
04-24-2007, 12:27 PM
this team isn't in "total" rebuilding mode.

We have players to build around. LJ is the only reason we might go 8-8 this season. Without him we're a 4-12 team. It's stupid to get rid of your best players to replace them with unproven draft picks, especially while they're young.

kcxiv
04-24-2007, 12:27 PM
This is the Chiefs we are talking about, if its not for bad luck, there will be no luck at all. THey both walk.

CoMoChief
04-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Might be impossible. Right now LJ and Allen hold the cards. And Allen has already stated he will not be back next year.

He's saying that for leverage. He likes it here. It's just a money issue. If he produces this season we give a a large contract and he stays put IMO. Tony G said similar things after the playoff loss saying that he might want to play somewhere else.

htismaqe
04-24-2007, 12:29 PM

We have players to build around. LJ is the only reason we might go 8-8 this season. Without him we're a 4-12 team. It's stupid to get rid of your best players to replace them with unproven draft picks, especially while they're young.

LJ isn't young, especially for a RB.

Coogs
04-24-2007, 12:30 PM

So if this plays out, and he walks away at the end of the year, you are OK with that?

htismaqe
04-24-2007, 12:30 PM
He's saying that for leverage. He likes it here. It's just a money issue. If he produces this season we give a a large contract and he stays put IMO. Tony G said similar things after the playoff loss saying that he might want to play somewhere else.

It's not a money issue at all.

Allen thinks his convictions are no big deal and they absolutely are.

Archie Bunker
04-24-2007, 12:32 PM
LJ gets paid and Allen walks.

El Jefe
04-24-2007, 12:34 PM
I hope we dont let LJ go, I love watching that guy play, and we have someone that other teams fear.

Coogs
04-24-2007, 12:35 PM

That is debatable.

At least 2, possible 3, maybe even 4 new o-linemen.
Could be 2 new WR's, maybe even 3.
A new QB.
2 new LB's.
Maybe 2 new starting DT's.
2 different starting Safties.
Maybe a new return man.

Boarders on rebuilding.

kcxiv
04-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Rebuilding is tanking a season like the Titans did and other teams alike. We just retooled. While i know we will not win a Superbowl, we still are not tanking the season for a high draft pick.

Coogs
04-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Rebuilding is tanking a season like the Titans did and other teams alike. We just retooled. While i know we will not win a Superbowl, we still are not tanking the season for a high draft pick.

I don't think you have to tank a season to qualify for rebuilding. And this is not like they used to asy at Nebraska where we are just re-loading. You have to have something first to re-load it.

Easy 6
04-24-2007, 04:03 PM
I think if it's anybody it'll be Allen.

Thats my guess, especially if he doesnt pull his head out of his 4th point of contact.

Buehler445
04-24-2007, 04:07 PM
LJ isn't young, especially for a RB.

How old is LJ. Pls forgive my ignorance.

Mecca
If you're moving people Allen has more value than LJ does....

Mecca

I think he's 27 but by RB standards that isn't young especially when you factor in his huge workload last year.

Buehler445
04-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks, Mecca.

This is a rough call. I think LJ contributes more to the team, being our major offensive threat. I also believe that LJ is Carl's draft gem that he can hang his hat on, and will not let him go (see Gonzales)

htismaqe
04-24-2007, 04:11 PM

I think people get fooled by a couple of things.

1) He stayed for his senior season at PSU.
2) He was completely inactive for his rookie season.

He's 27 years old (turns 28 in November) plus he took a beating last year.

GoHuge
04-24-2007, 04:37 PM
I think people get fooled by a couple of things.

1) He stayed for his senior season at PSU.
2) He was completely inactive for his rookie season.

He's 27 years old (turns 28 in November) plus he took a beating last year.Granted he took a beating last year, but 05' and 06' where his only real years. He road the pine up until then. History says that after the beating he took, he's supposed to fall on his face next year. We'll see but I think he is a fairly young 28 as far as wear and tear. He didn't start in college until his senior year.

I say play him next year, get what you can get out of him, then let him go. I'd be real nervous about singing him to a long-term deal. History says it would be a bad move. Hell our own history says it's a bad deal. We're still paying for Priest Holmes and he's almost 35. You don't give RB's long term deals that puts them into their 30's. It's been proven time and time again.

cdcox
04-24-2007, 04:37 PM
That is debatable.

At least 2, possible 3, maybe even 4 new o-linemen.
Could be 2 new WR's, maybe even 3.
A new QB.
2 new LB's.
Maybe 2 new starting DT's.
2 different starting Safties.
Maybe a new return man.

Boarders on rebuilding.

Yup. And it will take a couple years to develop or find a new QB. By that time you can add a TEand CB to the list and LJ will definitely be on the downhill side of his career, if he is still here. Maybe Carl and Herm are not planning on 5-11 seasons, but we are going to see a ton of starting position turnover during the next 2 to 3 years. That is as close to a rebuild as you get in today's NFL.

Chief Roundup
04-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Why couldn't we put the franchise LJ and the transition tag on Allen or the other way around. Whatever works to keep one of them from just "walking" away.

Crashride
04-24-2007, 06:19 PM
You keep lj and let allen walk, keep both if possible...still dont know why everyone wants to get rid of good players. KC must be getting different info than us in tampa, all of the Lj cancer talk was speculation mostly started by whitlock

Mr. Laz
04-24-2007, 06:34 PM
Why couldn't we put the franchise LJ and the transition tag on Allen or the other way around. Whatever works to keep one of them from just "walking" away.
i don't think you can use both tags at the same time.