PDA

View Full Version : On average, how much do you eat out in a week?

Saulbadguy
04-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Poll forthcoming.

DJJasonp
04-26-2007, 09:09 AM
(insert obvious joke here)

Phobia
04-26-2007, 09:12 AM
In my house, eating out means going to a restaurant and sitting down to enjoy a meal with cloth napkins.

If "eating out" includes swinging by Arby's for a 5 for $5 then that may change my vote.

OnTheWarpath15
04-26-2007, 09:15 AM
In my house, eating out means going to a restaurant and sitting down to enjoy a meal with cloth napkins.

If "eating out" includes swinging by Arby's for a 5 for $5 then that may change my vote.

Us too.

Which we used to do 4-5 times a week, and usaually late in the evening because our schedules were so hectic.

Now with me in school, and the wife having a less demaning job time-wise, we eat at home more often than not. I usually do the cooking, except when the wife makes italian meatballs.......

Dunit35
04-26-2007, 09:17 AM
I just did a speech about this for class. I asked 50 people that same question and 2/3's said over 10 times a week.

Frosty
04-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Maybe once a month. That includes fast food.

Frazod
04-26-2007, 09:22 AM
I grab lunch in downtown Chicago every workday. The poll seemed a bit ambiguous as to lunch, so I didn't count that.

The wife and I typically eat out three or four times a week, mostly on weekends. I'd like to cut back to one or two times per week, but it just never seems to happen.

vailpass
04-26-2007, 09:26 AM
(insert obvious joke here)

I'd say fairly often though my wife my say not often enough.

Saulbadguy
04-26-2007, 09:26 AM
I grab lunch in downtown Chicago every workday. The poll seemed a bit ambiguous as to lunch, so I didn't count that.

The wife and I typically eat out three or four times a week, mostly on weekends. I'd like to cut back to one or two times per week, but it just never seems to happen.
Yeah, I kind of messed it up.

I added up our expenses and between going out to lunch and dinner, we are spending around $300 on just eating out a month. Insanity! :shake:

The Franchise
04-26-2007, 09:28 AM

Damn...they still have the 5 for $5 deal over there? I wish they had that over here.

NewChief
04-26-2007, 09:29 AM
I just did a speech about this for class. I asked 50 people that same question and 2/3's said over 10 times a week.

Did you poll mainly college students? I ate out that much easily when in college. Now we eat out on Fridays, and that's about it. We sometimes eat out on Saturday or Sunday for lunch as well. With summer coming on, we'll probably start grilling more on Fridays instead of eating out.

NewChief
04-26-2007, 09:30 AM

I added up our expenses and between going out to lunch and dinner, we are spending around $300 on just eating out a month. Insanity! :shake:

Eating out is crazy expensive. Casseroles and brown bagging it for lunch are your friends, if you're trying to live on a budget.

Iowanian
04-26-2007, 09:39 AM
We eat out about once per week, and thats if you include weekends when we travel, and like last where we went out both nights with friends.

I live a 5-10 minute bike ride from work....so I eat lunch at home most days too.

Frazod
04-26-2007, 09:40 AM

Shit, if we got our spending down to $300 a month, that would be a vast improvement. :banghead:

Phobia
04-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Eating out is crazy expensive. Casseroles and brown bagging it for lunch are your friends, if you're trying to live on a budget.

Not if you like the BK Rodeo Burger.

NewChief
04-26-2007, 09:59 AM
Not if you like the BK Rodeo Burger.

How much does it run? I just can't believe fast food these days. Every time I get it (which is maybe once every couple of months), it ends up costing me around $7 for a meal. I can eat at a decent diner for that price.

Phobia
04-26-2007, 10:01 AM
How much does it run? I just can't believe fast food these days. Every time I get it (which is maybe once every couple of months), it ends up costing me around $7 for a meal. I can eat at a decent diner for that price.

It's a buck and it's very good. Sometimes I'll get two for that money.

The key is not paying $1.79 for a frick'n coke. If you're thirsty swing by QT and get a twelver for $3 and have another 11 cokes at your disposal. I never spend money on those crappy fountain drinks.

Frazod
04-26-2007, 10:02 AM
This got me thinking about how much I actually do spend. Since the beginning of April, we've spent around $500 on food, and that doesn't count my lunch meals which I generally pay cash for (averaging perhaps $7 per work day). Add it all up, plus the coming weekend, and this total will be around $700. And this has been a lighter month than usual, since I've quit going to Starbucks every morning (that was an ADDITIONAL $6.50 a day).

Man, that's just f#cking stupid. :shake:

Donger
04-26-2007, 10:03 AM

The wife, the two critters and I average about $800 a month on groceries, and I'm usually traveling at least two weeks per month.

Expensive little turds.

Stewie
04-26-2007, 10:13 AM
I didn't vote. When travelling for business it's every meal, obviously. I get burned out on restaurants, so when I'm home I go out once or twice a month, maybe.

Dave Lane
04-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Thats what she asked...

kcxiv
04-26-2007, 11:17 AM
Used to alot, but i got to big, lost aton of weight. Now if i go eat out, its subway:(

Saulbadguy
04-26-2007, 11:19 AM
This got me thinking about how much I actually do spend. Since the beginning of April, we've spent around $500 on food, and that doesn't count my lunch meals which I generally pay cash for (averaging perhaps $7 per work day). Add it all up, plus the coming weekend, and this total will be around $700. And this has been a lighter month than usual, since I've quit going to Starbucks every morning (that was an ADDITIONAL $6.50 a day).

Man, that's just f#cking stupid. :shake:
Considering I could probably make a sandwich, a bag of chips and a drink for a dollar...yeah. I'd say it's time to stop doing this.

But it is tough to resist the temptation of "Wanna do lunch?"

Phobia
04-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Used to alot, but i got to big, lost aton of weight. Now if i go eat out, its subway:(
I HATE your commercials.

Frazod
04-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Considering I could probably make a sandwich, a bag of chips and a drink for a dollar...yeah. I'd say it's time to stop doing this.

But it is tough to resist the temptation of "Wanna do lunch?"

The problem for me is that there are so many great restaurants in the vicinity of my home. Thai, Indian, Japanese, Italian - you name it, it's only a few minutes away. When it comes to good food, Naperville is loaded with temptations. :banghead:

KC Kings
04-26-2007, 11:45 AM
We go out about once a week, but only to kid friendly restaurants. Kids always eat free at O'Charleys, kids eat free on Tuesday's and Thursdays at Back Yard Burgers, and there are some other places where I can feed a family of 5 for less than $20.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-26-2007, 11:48 AM
I eat lunch out 5 days a week, and we usually eat out one weeknight and one weekend night

Deberg_1990
04-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Probably 3 or 4 times a week. The rest we eat at home.

Ill admit its quite tempting to eat out more often though. Its no wonder Americans are the most overweight society in the world.

The Chain restraunt business has just exploded in the past 20 years or so. Chili's, Applebees, Olive Garden, On the Border, Longhorn, Laundrys, etc......its absolutely amazing how many choices there are out there....

wutamess
04-26-2007, 12:16 PM
We rarely eat out.
Too expensive for a family of 5 (and all of us are eaters).
We usually spend about $300-$350 on grocery day every 2 weeks @ Wally World.

I've been watching what I eat as part of a life changing eat habit (need to get down to about 200lbs). Having said that... restaraunts are few and in between. Even on my tournament Saturdays I usually bring a bag of mixed dried fruits & nuts for my breakfast and lunch.

Not hard at all to do but I do crave McD's double cheeseburgers from time to time though. I swear they put crack in those things. Happily, I haven't been to McD's in over a month.

It helps I work @ home and don't have to get lunch though or I'm sure I'd be eating out everyday. When I do have to eat out though for lunch... I usually make it a habit to find a subway near by instead of McD's.

HemiEd
04-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Lunch, everyday. Dinner, not very often, only when forced to.(company, customer, special occasion) If I have to, I throw something together myself, that will make a turd.

NewChief
04-26-2007, 12:33 PM
The Chain restraunt business has just exploded in the past 20 years or so. Chili's, Applebees, Olive Garden, On the Border, Longhorn, Laundrys, etc......its absolutely amazing how many choices there are out there....

What's amazing to me is the huge diversity of chains has actually led to the food becoming more and more the same. They all offer the same boring prepackaged shit purchased from Sysco.

Saulbadguy
04-26-2007, 12:37 PM
What's amazing to me is the huge diversity of chains has actually led to the food becoming more and more the same. They all offer the same boring prepackaged shit purchased from Sysco.
Yep. Those places are pretty bland. If I can help it, I never go to the big chain "crazy shit hanging on the walls" places.

NewChief
04-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Yep. Those places are pretty bland. If I can help it, I never go to the big chain "crazy shit hanging on the walls" places.

The food they serve is, literally, one step above a TV dinner from the frozen foods section of Wal-Mart.

Deberg_1990
04-26-2007, 12:41 PM
The food they serve is, literally, one step above a TV dinner from the frozen foods section of Wal-Mart.

The masses eat it up. Those places litter suburbia all over the U.S.

Gotta love Urban Sprawl..

NewChief
04-26-2007, 12:53 PM
The masses eat it up. Those places litter suburbia all over the U.S.

Gotta love Urban Sprawl..

Yup. My mother-in-law is always complaining that we don't take our son to Red Robin or the other crappy chains, instead taking him to local places that actually have a little character. She's convinced he would be much happier and like the food better at the chains than at the local places. America is brainwashed.

Deberg_1990
04-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Yup. My mother-in-law is always complaining that we don't take our son to Red Robin or the other crappy chains, instead taking him to local places that actually have a little character. She's convinced he would be much happier and like the food better at the chains than at the local places. America is brainwashed.

Wow....

Well, i wont pretend i never visit the Red Robins of the world, but i also like to support the local mom and pop business's too.

The Food and service tends to be much better on the whole.

Saulbadguy
04-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Some of them aren't terrible. I thought Red Robin was ok but the atmosphere is annoying and the prices are high.

Here, Applebees is king, along with Red Lobster, Olive Garden and Texas Roadhouse.

greg63
04-26-2007, 01:08 PM
We eat out once or twice a week.

You forgot the obligatory "Gaz" option.

Demonpenz
04-26-2007, 02:24 PM
the problem with mom and pop places is it takes to long. Get me my shit so i can go back to work or go to a bar. I will order shit early at the pop places in st joe and it will still almost be late back to work. Oh and I think i am going to blow up every bw3

Demonpenz
04-26-2007, 02:24 PM
I had chili's new soft chicken taco's they were da bomb

Mr. Flopnuts
04-26-2007, 02:31 PM
We rarely eat out.
Too expensive for a family of 5 (and all of us are eaters).
We usually spend about $300-$350 on grocery day every 2 weeks @ Wally World.

I've been watching what I eat as part of a life changing eat habit (need to get down to about 200lbs). Having said that... restaraunts are few and in between. Even on my tournament Saturdays I usually bring a bag of mixed dried fruits & nuts for my breakfast and lunch.

Not hard at all to do but I do crave McD's double cheeseburgers from time to time though. I swear they put crack in those things. Happily, I haven't been to McD's in over a month.

It helps I work @ home and don't have to get lunch though or I'm sure I'd be eating out everyday. When I do have to eat out though for lunch... I usually make it a habit to find a subway near by instead of McD's.

Check your PM's

wutamess
04-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Check your PM's

Forgot to ask, why do you ask?

Mr. Flopnuts
04-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Forgot to ask, why do you ask?

I sent you a PM again.

J Diddy
04-26-2007, 02:56 PM
I have this problem with my no job having roommate eating up all my shit. So I go out alot and bring it back and eat it in front of the mother******

RJ
04-26-2007, 11:06 PM
We eat out for special occasions only. I'm pretty handy in the kitchen and make dinner at home every night. I always cook enough for my wife to have leftovers to take for lunch and I'm able to come home for lunch since work is less than 10 minutes away. I've never calculated the savings from these lunches that we don't have to buy but I believe it's sizable.

Another positive byproduct of this is that my almost 4 y/o daughter has only marginal interest in fast food. Because she hasn't had much exposure to it she generally prefers to eat what we make at home......though one exception is IHOP breakfast, her grandparents usually take her there on Tuesday mornings. That girl can put a hurtin' on some pancakes and sausage!

2bikemike
04-27-2007, 01:29 AM
We eat out almost every night. I work shift work 6am to 6 pm and visa versa.My wife works either 9 to 5 or 1 to 9. When I work nights we eat alone when I work days and she works days neither of us want the hassle of preparing a meal and cleaning up from it.

We hardly ever buy food at the store. Its become such a habit to just go buy a meal. Even on our rare days off together.