PDA

View Full Version : quitting smoking ..........................again

TopJet2
04-27-2007, 06:29 PM
I recently "quit" smoking with the help of a prescription drug called Chantix. I have been off of the drug for about a month and have started again with the smokes. I am totally at a loss and was hoping that someone out there has some advice on how to get past the mental part of smoking as well as the addiction part. I go to bed every night telling myself no more than first thing in the morning I need to light up. Weak minded, stupid, retarded I know so any help is appreciated

kstater
04-27-2007, 06:33 PM
antifreeze?

Fish
04-27-2007, 06:53 PM
Buy a giant bag of DumDums at Costco. Try flavored toothpicks. Anything to get the oral fixation of having something hanging out your mouth...

And yeah... tough it up... you can do it....

Ultra Peanut
04-27-2007, 06:57 PM
SWITCH THINE ATTENTION TO THE SWEET SCIENCE

blueballs
04-27-2007, 06:58 PM
stay out of places where
men are nude

dave0320
04-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Call Jack Harry!

Phobia
04-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Dude, I quit copenhagen for 2 years and started again a couple months ago. I feel your pain.

DomerNKC
04-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Just stop. You will quit when you actually want to. Until you choose to quit, you will fail. Pick a day to quit, then quit and don't start again. It is quite simple really.

KcMizzou
04-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Just stop. You will quit when you actually want to. Until you choose to quit, you will fail. Pick a day to quit, then quit and don't start again. It is quite simple really.Sure it is, you're right... but it's easier said than done.

I only smoke like 2-3 packs a week... and still, when you crave one, you really crave one.

DomerNKC
04-27-2007, 07:36 PM
i smoked a pack and a half a day. I tried to quit several times. When i TOTALLY decided that i'd had enough, i quit. I chose to quit a week in advance ( i had 7 packs left in a carton). When that carton was done, so was I. I tried the gum for about a week. It was horrible so i stopped chewing it. I then started eating "atomic fireballs" when i had a craving. I still don't miss cigarettes, i wish i quit a long time ago. i smoked for almost 20 years.

bogie
04-27-2007, 07:37 PM
A well known DR said it takes an average of 7 trys to quit smoking. Don't beat yourself up. I tried all the patches, gums, lozenges, etc. Cold Turkey worked best for me. I found all that other stuff kept me hooked.

KcMizzou
04-27-2007, 07:40 PM
i smoked a pack and a half a day. I tried to quit several times. When i TOTALLY decided that i'd had enough, i quit. I chose to quit a week in advance ( i had 7 packs left in a carton). When that carton was done, so was I. I tried the gum for about a week. It was horrible so i stopped chewing it. I then started eating "atomic fireballs" when i had a craving. I still don't miss cigarettes, i wish i quit a long time ago. i smoked for almost 20 years.Yeah, you can't do it half-heartedly, that's for sure.

It's good that you don't miss them. I'm sure you feel better too.

One of my old bosses used to tell me that after not smoking for 20+ years, he still craved one when someone lit up around him and he got that first wiff.

DomerNKC
04-27-2007, 07:45 PM
and quitting means quitting. not one cigarette. most people that rationale one every now and then is ok; are fooling themselves. Quit, and then never choose to ever have one again. You will get over it soon enough. Sooner than you think.

Easy 6
04-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Yeah, i "feel your pain" as well...its a fact that nicotine is as addictive if not more than heroine.

I managed to quit for about a month, my doctor gave me a free sample of a little purple pill, for the life of me i cant remember the name...it "could" be bupropion, but not sure, but ask a doc, they will know.

Anyway, it worked like a frickin' charm, it makes a cig taste like...the best way i could describe it is a 50/50 mix of aluminum foil & ass. Wanted one with coffee, after a meal, shower, sex...TOO BAD, they tasted HORRIBLE. It REALLY works, so well in fact that i quit taking them.

Real genius i am.

greg63
04-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Good luck to you; the only thing I know to do is quit cold turkey and ride out the storm. I honestly don't think there are any easy cures or quick fixes here.

tommykat
04-27-2007, 08:00 PM
Dude, I quit copenhagen for 2 years and started again a couple months ago. I feel your pain.

:( AH man 2 yrs? That I believe is the hardest habit to quit as it goes right into the blood stream.....You'll make it again buddy, just as I am working on myself to stop smoking. That will happen when the time is right for both of us!

jjjayb
04-27-2007, 08:07 PM
I recently "quit" smoking with the help of a prescription drug called Chantix. I have been off of the drug for about a month and have started again with the smokes. I am totally at a loss and was hoping that someone out there has some advice on how to get past the mental part of smoking as well as the addiction part. I go to bed every night telling myself no more than first thing in the morning I need to light up. Weak minded, stupid, retarded I know so any help is appreciated

Quit being a pussy and letting the cigarettes get the best of you. Just man up and quit. If you let the smokes beat you then you're a worthless sack of crap.

Ultra Peanut
04-27-2007, 08:10 PM
IT IS TRULY MY BELIEF, AND I MUST URGE YOU TO CONSIDER THIS OPTION, THAT YOU SHOULD PARTAKE OF THAT MOST EXCITING OF PURSUITS: BOWLING

Easy 6
04-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Quit being a pussy and letting the cigarettes get the best of you. Just man up and quit. If you let the smokes beat you then you're a worthless sack of crap.

The ugly & often hard to swallow truth...

I'm a sack of crap.

KcMizzou
04-27-2007, 08:11 PM
IT IS TRULY MY BELIEF, AND I MUST URGE YOU TO CONSIDER THIS OPTION, THAT YOU SHOULD PARTAKE OF THAT MOST EXCITING OF PURSUITS: BOWLINGI don't think it's possible to bowl without drinking and smoking.

KcMizzou
04-27-2007, 08:12 PM
The ugly & often hard to swallow truth...

I'm a sack of crap.Heh... likewise. :D

Ultra Peanut
04-27-2007, 08:15 PM
I don't think it's possible to bowl without drinking and smoking.YOUR PRESENCE IS UNREQUITED AND YOUR ATTITUDE IS UNNECESSARILY PESSIMISTIC, GOOD SIR!

Mecca
04-27-2007, 08:17 PM

One of my best friends chews..........I'd like to point out how absolutely disgusting I find it.

KcMizzou
04-27-2007, 08:18 PM
YOUR PRESENCE IS UNREQUITED AND YOUR ATTITUDE IS UNNECESSARILY PESSIMISTIC, GOOD SIR!My apologies. Let me try again...

I don't think I'd want to bowl, without drinking and smoking.

KcMizzou
04-27-2007, 08:19 PM
One of my best friends chews..........I'd like to point out how absolutely disgusting I find it.I agree, but then I smoke... so I can't say much.

04-27-2007, 08:24 PM
I smoked for 20 years,from 1980-2000..it's almost 7 years since I quit cold turkey..it was one of the hardest things I've had to do.

It takes about 6 months for the nicotine to get out of your system..I kept a piece of paper from the American cancer organization,it shows what happens to your body in 1 year,5 years,10 years and so on AFTER YOU QUIT SMOKING..scary shit..every time I wanted to light up I read that article,it worked.

Mecca
04-27-2007, 08:28 PM
I agree, but then I smoke... so I can't say much.

I'd rather sit by someone smoking than chewing......that's how disgusting I find it, spitting and shit just ugh.

04-27-2007, 08:30 PM
I smoked for 20 years,from 1980-2000..it's almost 7 years since I quit cold turkey..it was one of the hardest things I've had to do.

It takes about 6 months for the nicotine to get out of your system..I kept a piece of paper from the American cancer organization,it shows what happens to your body in 1 year,5 years,10 years and so on AFTER YOU QUIT SMOKING..scary shit..every time I wanted to light up I read that article,it worked.
I found it..

When Smokers Quit – What Are the Benefits Over Time?

20 minutes after quitting: Your heart rate and blood pressure drops.

12 hours after quitting: The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.

2 weeks to 3 months after quitting: Your circulation improves and your lung function increases.

1 to 9 months after quitting: Coughing and shortness of breath decrease; cilia (tiny hair-like structures that move mucus out of the lungs) regain normal function in the lungs, increasing the ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce the risk of infection.

1 year after quitting: The excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker's.

5 years after quitting: Your stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker 5 to 15 years after quitting.

10 years after quitting: The lung cancer death rate is about half that of a continuing smoker's. The risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, cervix, and pancreas decrease.

15 years after quitting: The risk of coronary heart disease is that of a nonsmoker's.
Visible and Immediate Rewards of Quitting

Quitting helps stop the damaging effects of tobacco on your appearance including:

* Premature wrinkling of the skin
* Bad breath
* Stained teeth
* Gum disease
* Bad smelling clothes and hair
* Yellow fingernails

Kicking the tobacco habit offers benefits that you'll notice immediately and some that will develop gradually over time. These rewards can improve your day-to-day life immensely.

* Food tastes better.
* Your sense of smell returns to normal
* Ordinary activities no longer leave you out of breath (for example, climbing stairs or light housework)

The prospect of better health is a major reason for quitting, but there are others as well.

Cost

Smoking is expensive. It isn't hard to figure out how much you spend on smoking: multiply how much money you spend on tobacco every day by 365 (days per year). The amount may surprise you. Now multiply that by the number of years you have been using tobacco and that amount will probably astound you.

Multiply the cost per year by 10 (for the upcoming 10 years) and ask yourself what you would rather do with that much money.

And this doesn’t include other possible expenses, such as higher costs for health and life insurance, as well as the health care costs due to tobacco-related conditions.

Mecca
04-27-2007, 08:39 PM
I thought that said "Cum disease" and was like WTF then I read it again.

Ultra Peanut
04-27-2007, 08:46 PM
My apologies. Let me try again...

I don't think I'd want to bowl, without drinking and smoking.WELL THEN WHO ASKED YOU MOTHER****ER

KcMizzou
04-27-2007, 08:47 PM
WELL THEN WHO ASKED YOU MOTHER****ERLMAO You were so polite before... "good sir".

:D

Phobia
04-27-2007, 08:53 PM
One of my best friends chews..........I'd like to point out how absolutely disgusting I find it.

Yeah, me too. Fortunately you don't have to kiss me... unless you get your hair done like my wife's and I make a horrible error.

KcMizzou
04-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Yeah, me too. Fortunately you don't have to kiss me... unless you get your hair done like my wife's and I make a horrible error.That's gonna take more than a few beers, I'd think.

Frazod
04-27-2007, 08:58 PM
I have a quitting smoking thread here that gets bumped every so often. I quit cold turkey in August of 2005 and haven't had one since - I just woke up one morning, hacked up my usual pound of goo, and decided I was done. The main thing for me was replacing the oral fixation of smoking with chewing gum. I'm still a pack-a-day man, but now it's wintergreen trident.

I suppose when it comes to quitting there are two schools of thought: (1) Use anything and everything that will help you quit, or (2) just f#cking do it. Option 2 worked for me, but as Domer said, you need to be ready to do it, REALLY READY, and unless you are, all the friggin anti-smoking drugs in the world won't help. I personally think all the anti-smoking crap is just greedy pricks preying upon the weaknesses of others - hell, the gum is just as expensive as smoking. The last time I wouldn't give them the satisfaction. Previously I had tried the patch, but it didn't work and made me sick as well.

My wife quit a couple of weeks after I did and had a bit harder time and took Zyban. She faltered a bit at the beginning, but finally quit completely after a couple of weeks and never started up again.

At first, it would probably be better to distance yourself from smokers as much as you can. Drinking beer was a real bitch for me at first because I so completely associated smoking with drinking beer.

Just stick with it - if you're ready to succeed, YOU WILL. It's really that simple. Good luck.

KcMizzou
04-27-2007, 09:01 PM
At first, it would probably be better to distance yourself from smokers as much as you can. Drinking beer was a real bitch for me at first because I so completely associated smoking with drinking beer.
Absolutely. I can go days without smoking, but if I have a beer... it's like likely going to be a 12-pack and and pack of smokes along with it.

Frazod
04-27-2007, 09:06 PM
Absolutely. I can go days without smoking, but if I have a beer... it's like likely going to be a 12-pack and and pack of smokes along with it.

I had quit for a couple of months when we went out for pizza. They had Sam Adams (pretty much the only beer I'll drink now) on tap, and it sounded good. The minute I put the glass to my mouth I raised my other hand with two fingers up just like there was a cigarette there. The urge passed, but I'm glad it was a non-smoking restaurant or I would have been in trouble.

Now it doesn't bother me at all. I also don't mind being around smokers, as long as the place isn't thick with smoke. I don't like the smell, but I can deal with it.

04-27-2007, 09:09 PM
It took about 18 months to stop thinking about a butt after every cup of coffee,meal and beer.

TopJet2
04-27-2007, 09:40 PM

That pretty much what the ol lady said.

RJ
04-27-2007, 09:40 PM
I am at 3 years and 10 months without a cigarette, not even an alcohol induced drag. It's no coincidence that my daughter is also just shy of four years. I had been smoking for close to 30 years, she was the motivation to finally quit and I am SO glad I did.

I used the patch. Walgreens brand saved a few bucks. They're expensive but sure as hell cheaper than smoking. I followed the instructions to the letter, no skipping steps. I also kept myself away from temptation for that first couple months. No bars, no hanging out with smokers.

But the most important thing, as was mentioned earlier, is really wanting to do it. If you don't really want to you won't, plain and simple. No matter what you tell yourself, no matter how many excuses you have, it will eventually come down to your own desire.

Like they say, quitting smoking is easy. Heck, I've done it 50 times.....fortunately it finally stuck.

Good luck, TopJet2, I feel your pain. Right now I'm trying to lose 15 pounds. I'm about halfway there and it seems like the smoking thing was easier......well, maybe not easier but quicker results. With smoking, you're either quit or you ain't. So just go ahead and stop trying to quit and just quit.

I didn't even mention the residual benefits, just let us know if you'd like to be nagged about those, I'm sure there are many ex-smokers here who would be happy to chime in. :)

TopJet2
04-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Its really pretty ridiculous when I know that I dont need to smoke but going into a convenience store just drives the desire for a pack through the roof and I justify it "just one more"

RJ
04-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Its really pretty ridiculous when I know that I dont need to smoke but going into a convenience store just drives the desire for a pack through the roof and I justify it "just one more"

See, even Slurpees can be a trigger! Stay away from bars, coffee shops and 7-11's.

Do you have any one major reason for wanting to quit? One that's your biggest motivator? Mine was my daughter and I tried to stay focused on that. I have a friend who quit, his thing as his clothes. He likes nice clothes and hating them smelling like smoke. Another friend did it for her job, she felt smoking made her appear less intelligent.

Whatever your reason is, milk it all you can. Every day you hold out improves your chances of being permanently quit.