Carlota69
04-29-2007, 09:41 AM
Pitcher for STL cardinals...just reported

Carlota69
04-29-2007, 09:41 AM
Pitcher for STL cardinals...just reportedI mean Josh..sorry

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Just saw this. Trey Wingo and Peter Gammons talking about it now. Wow.

A mod can change the name.

HolmeZz
04-29-2007, 09:44 AM
They canceled the Sunday Night game between the Cubs and Cards.

OnTheWarpath15
04-29-2007, 09:44 AM
Damn.

Auto accident, no details released by the team, as of yet.

Thanks to Peter Gammons for taking the time to bash the Cardinals rotation.

Asshole. A man just died. Show some class.

Thoughts and prayers to the Hancock family, his friends, teammates and the Cardinals organization.

Carlota69
04-29-2007, 09:45 AM

Yeah, I was hoping so--no disrespect at all...this totally sucks for the Cards and for baseball

Skip Towne
04-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Old news. John Hancock died a long, long time ago.

DaFace
04-29-2007, 09:48 AM

You can edit and change the name of the thread if you do it within a certain time period (10 minutes I think).

Hydrae
04-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Old news. John Hancock died a long, long time ago.

Where were you that day? :)

Frazod
04-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Damn, that sucks. Eerily reminds of me when Kile died - that happened during a Cubs series and caused a game to be cancelled as well. :(

Skip Towne
04-29-2007, 10:01 AM
Where were you that day? :)
I was off watching dirt being born.

Ultra Peanut
04-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Damn, that sucks. Eerily reminds of me when Kile died - that happened during a Cubs series and caused a game to be cancelled as well. :(Yeah. :(

StcChief
04-29-2007, 11:34 AM
RIP Josh what a great future he had in STL.

The Marquis deal is looking worse now.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-29-2007, 11:56 AM
That really f*cking sucks.

Frazod, our teams seem to have a nasty knack for tragedy. :(

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-29-2007, 12:16 PM
Would it be too much to ask for a mod to change the name to Josh in the thread title?

Eleazar
05-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Don't know about this source, but USA Today had someone saying the St Louis Post Dispatch reported this.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7007210425

Report: Hancock In A Wreck Three Days Before Death, Seen Drinking At A Restaurant Saturday Night

May 1, 2007 10:35 a.m. EST

Christopher Cornell - AHN Sports Reporter

St. Louis, MO (AHN) - After getting just a single day off to try and deal with the death of their teammate Josh Hancock, the St. Louis Cardinals went back to work on Monday on the road with a 7-1 loss to the Milwaukee Brewers.

Meanwhile, back at home in St. Louis, more details continue to be released by a local newspaper that call into question Hancock's condition at the time of his death early Sunday morning and also exposed that Hancock was also in another wreck shortly before the one that claimed his life.

According to reports from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Hancock was in an accident three days before he was killed in a separate traffic accident when his SUV rammed into a flat-bed tow truck, killing him instantaneously.

According to a police report obtained by the Post-Dispatch, on Thursday, April 26 at 5:30 a.m. CST in Sauget, Ill., a tractor-trailer ripped off Hancock's GMC Denali's front bumper when he pulled his vehicle a little too far forward.

No one was hurt in the accident and police did not ticket Hancock.

"He apparently inched forward to get ready to make a left-hand turn to go northbound on Route 3. I don't know if he didn't realize the front of his vehicle had just inched enough onto the southbound roadway," chief Patrick Delaney told the Post-Dispatch.

Calls made by AHN to Delaney on Tuesday morning were not returned at the time of this posting.

The semi-truck was traveling at about 45-50 m.p.h. and, according to Delaney, Hancock could have died if he was out in the intersection by just a few more inches when the truck struck him.

In a related development filed by the same paper, a couple claimed they saw Hancock on Saturday night at Mike Shannon's Steaks and Seafood drinking in excess. The couple also told the Post-Dispatch that they overheard Hancock having a conversation with ESPN commentator Dave Campbell, who was also in the restaurant.

The woman declined to be identified and the man simply wanted to be referred to as 'Vince.' The two were having dinner at the restaurant and claimed they observed Hancock finishing 'several' drinks and then heard the relief pitcher tell Campbell that Tony La Russa had chastised him for being 'too hung over to play' on Thursday's game after his accident.

"He had a mixed drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other," Vince told the Post-Dispatch while describing what he perceived to be Hancock's condition. "And my wife's comment was, 'He can barely put a sentence together.'"

Campbell confirmed to the Post-Dispatch that he had talked to Hancock on Saturday night, but steadfastly denied that the pitcher had told him that La Russa had been upset at him for being hungover.

Hancock died later that night when he left the restaurant and headed west from downtown to meet some teammates which reportedly included Jim Edmonds, Adam Kennedy, Gary Bennett and Ryan Franklin. He died en route to the rendezvous shortly after text messaging one of his teammates.

He ran into a lift truck that was already tending to another accident at 12:30 a.m. on Sunday in an active traffic lane on the left side of Interstate 64.

Hancock was just 29-years-old.

La Russa has been naturally protective of his players in the wake of Hancock's death and has been warning his team not to get trapped into letting the story take on a different meaning.

"I also had a very important caution: Be careful of the insincerity of some media people ... trying to befriend you then trying to slam you with something that they want to turn this into, some kind of story that's not all sweet," La Russa said at Monday's post-game press conference. "I've already seen signs of that. I'm sitting here listening. The first time I hear insincerity I'll start swinging this fungo because it doesn't have its place.

"I'm just talking about people who really don't care about us, who are out there trying to further their own agendas. That's exactly what I mean."

A preliminary autopsy report is expect later today, but the toxicology report is not due for another two to six weeks.

No alcoholic beverages were found in the vehicle, according to the police report.

"Obviously, everybody is grieving and sad about the loss that we have had," said pitcher Chris Carpenter. "Josh was a great player, a great teammate, a great guy in the clubhouse. We're going to miss him."

The team plans on honoring Hancock by wearing black patches bearing his No. 32 for the rest of the year.

Hancock's death comes just five years after the tragic passing of another Cardinals' pitcher, Darryl Kile, who died of a heart attack.

Copyright © AHN Media Corp - All rights reserved.
Redistribution, republication. syndication, rewriting or broadcast is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of AHN.

Frazod
05-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I heard about that. Sounds like he was hammered.

Sometimes stupidity is fatal. :shake:

Eleazar
05-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Well, hopefully he just had one or two and it wasn't a factor.

Eleazar
05-04-2007, 10:16 AM
this sucks :(

Police: Hancock intoxicated, speeding at time of fatal crash

ST. LOUIS -- St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Josh Hancock was drunk at the time of his fatal accident, and marijuana was found in the sport utility vehicle he was driving.

Police Chief Joe Mokwa also said at a news conference Friday that the 29-year-old Hancock was speaking on a cell phone at about the time of the crash early Sunday on Interstate 64 in St. Louis.

"Mr. Hancock was legally intoxicated at the time of the accident," Mokwa said.

St. Louis medical examiner Michael Graham said Hancock's blood-alcohol level was 0.157, nearly twice Missouri's legal limit of 0.08.

Mokwa said 8.55 grams of marijuana and a glass pipe used to smoke marijuana were found in the rented Ford Explorer. Toxicology tests to determine if drugs were in his system had not been completed.

An accident reconstruction team determined Hancock was traveling 68 mph in a 55 mph zone when his SUV struck the back of a flatbed tow truck stopped in a driving lane. Mokwa said there was no evidence Hancock tried to stop. He did swerve, but too late to avoid the collision.

Graham said the pitcher died instantly of head injuries. The pitcher was not wearing a seat belt, but Graham said the belt would not have prevented his death.

Mokwa said cell phone records showed Hancock was speaking with a female acquaintance at about the time of the accident.

Mokwa said the conversation ended abruptly, presumably when the accident occurred.

Sure-Oz
05-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Drunk and probably smoking the doobie? hmm

i had a feeling he was drunk ramming into a tow truck

Pitt Gorilla
05-04-2007, 10:40 AM
this sucks :(
I think pretty much everyone expected this.

htismaqe
05-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Has anybody really been following this?

Hancock dying isn't even the real story anymore.

He was drinking at Mike Shannon's restaurant and some of the patrons there said Hancock was visibly drunk and shouldn't have been served. Bernie Miklasz reported on some of the stuff and LaRussa threatened him.

Might as well write off this season, the Cardinals organization is in a heap of trouble.

4th and Long
05-04-2007, 11:04 AM
http://media.thevictoriaadvocate.com/smedia/2007/04/30/00/889-hancock_043007.standalone.prod_affiliate.31.jpg

Eleazar
05-04-2007, 11:10 AM
I think pretty much everyone expected this.

Yeah, I suspected it right from the start. Obviously, kept it to myself to avoid being untoward, but... seemed like the logical conclusion.

Eleazar
05-04-2007, 11:12 AM

He was drinking at Mike Shannon's restaurant and some of the patrons there said Hancock was visibly drunk and shouldn't have been served. Bernie Miklasz reported on some of the stuff and LaRussa threatened him.

Might as well write off this season, the Cardinals organization is in a heap of trouble.

Well, Mike Shannon should have been cut off about 30 years ago himself...

stlchiefs
05-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Doobie, Drunk, Talking on Cell Phone, Speeding: He had more than his 3 strikes.

Demonpenz
05-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Perhaps a cause where an athlete thinks he can do no wrong? Sounds sadly familiar to a person who was speeding in snowing conditions, without a seatbelt. You would think that when the reds cut him for being overweight that would send him a message. There was a good topic on am radio a couple weeks ago about Derrick Thomas and how Derrick would be late to a radio show, but every since he could play football no one told him right from wrong. They just let it go. It starts in little league, kids throwing the gloves and if they are good, no one says a peep. Winning is everything. I saw it in highschool. My fatass didn't practice hard, i didn't see much PT, but our starts could sit by the water fountain all day and you knew there were getting the rock. I would hope someone tried to stear this man and he just didn't "get it" Hopefully this post wasn't too classless it wasn't ment to be that way. I was just trying to paraphrase the radio show i heard.

Deberg_1990
05-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Its official, he was drunk...this story is no longer tragic....

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-cardinals-hancock&prov=ap&type=lgns

Sure-Oz
05-04-2007, 11:32 AM

Yep, he was a dumbass and he paid for it, unfortunate but it happens. Luckily the innocent people that got hit didn't get hurt too bad in the process.

chris
05-04-2007, 11:34 AM

www.darwinawards.com

"Named in honor of Charles Darwin, the father of evolution, the Darwin Awards commemorate those who improve our gene pool by removing themselves from it."

chasedude
05-04-2007, 11:37 AM

He's just another example of a lesson for our us... booze + drinking don't mix.

Chief Henry
05-04-2007, 12:01 PM
What the hell are they doing drinking so much so late at night when they have to play a game the next. No wonder they've been playing like the bad news bears.

Where are the teams leaders ?

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-04-2007, 12:14 PM

I've already written this one off and put it in the shredder.

NewChief
05-04-2007, 12:19 PM
What the hell are they doing drinking so much so late at night when they have to play a game the next. No wonder they've been playing like the bad news bears.

Welcome to professional baseball. Par for the course from everything I've ever heard.

Slick32
05-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Today's news also noted that he had MJ in the car with him. Drinking and smoking dope? Another role model for our youth.

Baby Lee
05-04-2007, 12:27 PM
He's just another example of a lesson for our us... booze + drinking don't mix.
What do you do with your booze?

Baby Lee
05-04-2007, 12:29 PM

They're all living off the legend of Max McGee.

htismaqe
05-04-2007, 12:33 PM

He was supposedly going to meet Edmonds and some others...

htismaqe
05-04-2007, 12:33 PM

"Is that a...a vodka bottle? Wha? EEWWWWW!"

Eleazar
05-04-2007, 12:39 PM

Maybe he discovered an alternate way that the human body can absorb stuff...

:moon:

Deberg_1990
05-04-2007, 12:40 PM
What the hell are they doing drinking so much so late at night when they have to play a game the next.

Oh come on....you cant be so naive.....im sure this is pretty much standard procedure among any young professional athlete in todays age.

convict1983
05-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Looks like he took after his coach. Terrible tragedy that could of been avoided.

CALL A TAXI damn it!! Its not like you cant afford it.

Sure-Oz
05-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Oh come on....you cant be so naive.....im sure this is pretty much standard procedure among any young professional athlete in todays age.
and myspace.

Eric
05-04-2007, 12:45 PM
The bars ,,,,the bars.....tsk tsk.

bkkcoh
05-04-2007, 01:00 PM
ONe of the guys on ESPN radio said, how many employees would condone drinking after the job was done on company grounds. He also mentioned that the only one team, irrc Oakland, didn't allow alcohol in the locker rooms.

He also went on to say that by the time that you add all of the people supporting the team, coaches, and ect. there would be atleast 1 or 2 people who have issues with alcohol.

ChiTown
05-04-2007, 01:03 PM

ROFL

Seriously? This shit goes on everywhere and with all professional sports.

Frazod
05-04-2007, 01:27 PM

Agree 100%. There is no excuse for this shit. :shake:

NewChief
05-04-2007, 01:50 PM
ROFL

Seriously? This shit goes on everywhere and with all professional sports.

I agree. I think that baseball is especially notorious for their partying overlapping into game days, though. I'd say it's a result of such long seasons with so many games. The sport also doesn't require huge amounts of stamina, so I'd think it's a little easier to play baseball with a hangover than football, hockey, or basketball.

Demonpenz
05-04-2007, 02:02 PM
I agree. I think that baseball is especially notorious for their partying overlapping into game days, though. I'd say it's a result of such long seasons with so many games. The sport also doesn't require huge amounts of stamina, so I'd think it's a little easier to play baseball with a hangover than football, hockey, or basketball.

Especially if you are a relief pitcher who knows you probably won't play the next game if you just pitched.

POND_OF_RED
05-04-2007, 03:17 PM

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/packageart/mugshots/larussamug1.jpg

chasedude
05-04-2007, 05:15 PM

ROFL I must have been thinking about it too much when I typed it. Meant to say booze + driving don't mix :shake:

Ultra Peanut
05-05-2007, 02:55 AM
"Wheeeeeeeeee!"

http://imgred.com/http://angrygodofjebus.com/larussa.gif http://imgred.com/http://angrygodofjebus.com/hancock.gif

"Hey guys what are yOH SHIT APARTMENT BUILDING!"

Frazod
05-05-2007, 03:11 AM
Real nice, UP.

You know, if it had been a Cubs player that died in a drunk driving accident, and a Cardinals fan posted some noxious shit about him like you just did, you'd be squealing over it like a little girl who just got her pony taken away. You'd create at least two additional threads to whine about it for a bit broader audience (just in case anybody missed the original thread), and play the wounded victim over it for days.

You want to rip LaRussa, fine. But it would be nice if you could at least wait until the grass starts growing before you piss all over Hancock's grave.

Classless. Loser. Dick.

Mecca
05-05-2007, 03:17 AM
"Wheeeeeeeeee!"

http://imgred.com/http://angrygodofjebus.com/larussa.gif http://imgred.com/http://angrygodofjebus.com/hancock.gif

"Hey guys what are yOH SHIT APARTMENT BUILDING!"

Holy shit...........it may be wrong but I just busted out laughing.

Ultra Peanut
05-05-2007, 04:06 AM
Real nice, UP.

You know, if it had been a Cubs player that died in a drunk driving accident, and a Cardinals fan posted some noxious shit about him like you just did, you'd be squealing over it like a little girl who just got her pony taken away. You'd create at least two additional threads to whine about it for a bit broader audience (just in case anybody missed the original thread), and play the wounded victim over it for days.

You want to rip LaRussa, fine. But it would be nice if you could at least wait until the grass starts growing before you piss all over Hancock's grave.

Classless. Loser. Dick.

4321Mostly, I just wanted an excuse to post that awesome flyin' Lidle.

pr_capone
05-05-2007, 04:37 AM
Real nice, UP.

Classless. Loser. Dick.

Normally I would agree with you... BUT, the guy was driving drunk and prolly high too. I feel sorry for his family but that is about it.

Thankfully he took himself out instead of wiping out a family of 4 in a head on collision. He deserves no pity and no mercy but instead has made himself open game.

John Hancock is the only here one who deserves to be called classless, loser, and a dick.

StcChief
05-05-2007, 06:06 AM
Yeah it's FU and so are the laws.

A Co-worker was at Shannon's after game. Said "no way he should be leaving or driving. Handcock was Slurring his words."

The Insurance laws are so FU now.
The blame for Over-serving should be put back on Resturant/bar.

More than an offer for a cab should have been made.

If it takes a high profile DUI/Death attributed to over serving to get the laws re-examined.....

something good may come of it.

Ameristar Casino will warn you

"if you leave... They will call the St.C police to pick you up."

Frazod
05-05-2007, 08:41 AM
Normally I would agree with you... BUT, the guy was driving drunk and prolly high too. I feel sorry for his family but that is about it.

Thankfully he took himself out instead of wiping out a family of 4 in a head on collision. He deserves no pity and no mercy but instead has made himself open game.

John Hancock is the only here one who deserves to be called classless, loser, and a dick.

You'd normally agree with me... if he wasn't a Cardinal. Got it.

Hancock made a horrible, stupid mistake. AND HE PAID FOR IT WITH HIS LIFE. Isn't that good enough for you? Should we feed his corpse feet first through a woodchipper on top of it? Too bad UP wasn't around when Derrick Thomas died; he could have made an amusing little animated file of DT laughing and waving as his SUV rolled into the median of the interstate. Thomas, I would remind you, was stone sober when he committed his equally horrible, stupid mistake, that ended up killing not only him but also two other people (which Hancock did not). Want to piss on his grave as well? Is he "open game"? Or only if he plays for a team you hate?

And I assume you've never driven drunk in your life, or done anything equally stupid but got away with it, right? Of course not, because if you had, that would make you a f#cking hypocrit, wouldn't it?

RP_McMurphy
05-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Well at least he didn't kill anyone else like Leonard Little did with his drinking and driving. So who's the next Cardinal or Ram to get busted for DUI? Will Jared Allen demand a trade to St. Louis?

StcChief
05-05-2007, 08:56 AM
This cuts across all economic class lines.

Still a rest/bar that 'over serves' somebody should have some responsibility. Besides just standing behind their multi-million dollar insurance policy.

Mecca
05-05-2007, 08:58 AM
One of my friends got his 2nd DUI the other day......and I told him what a complete moron I thought he was for it...........

The Bad Guy
05-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Real nice, UP.

Classless. Loser. Dick.

I have absolutely zero sympathy for Hancock. He made his decisions and paid the consequence.

He pissed all over his own grave.

Eleazar
05-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Yeah, the guy screwed up and lost his life, probably deserved what he got, but that doesn't mean you've got to dance on his grave. :shake:

Ultra Peanut
05-05-2007, 01:32 PM
HEY I HAVE FREE SPEECH AND YOU STOP TRYING TO CENSOR ME YOU HATE AMERICA

You'd normally agree with me... if he wasn't a Cardinal. Got it.

Hancock made a horrible, stupid mistake. AND HE PAID FOR IT WITH HIS LIFE. Isn't that good enough for you? Should we feed his corpse feet first through a woodchipper on top of it? Too bad UP wasn't around when Derrick Thomas died; he could have made an amusing little animated file of DT laughing and waving as his SUV rolled into the median of the interstate. Car accidents aren't funny. Absurdly bad decisions that lead to an accident? That shit's hilarious. Hancock did the opposite of "smart driving" to the degree that it's honestly astounding.

If you'll notice, I also posted fun little memorial images of Cory Lidle, he of WHO PUT THIS BUILDING THERE fame.

Thomas, I would remind you, was stone sober when he committed his equally horrible, stupid mistake, that ended up killing not only him but also two other people (which Hancock did not). I would strongly disagree with the "equally... stupid" part. The worst mistake made in that situation was the decision to not wear a seat belt. That's what killed DT and Michael Tellis. The guy who wore his seat belt survived with minor injuries. Speeding in bad weather isn't even remotely as retarded as getting drunk, deciding to drive home while tired, speeding, talking on a cell phone, not wearing your seat belt, and bringing a little weed along for the ride, then slamming into a parked truck with big ****off FLASHING LIGHTS. That's just inconceivably awful decision making.

I'm sorry he died, and I wish it had never happened. I'm not trying to say he was a horrible person and deserved it, or anything; I just like funny pictures.

Want to piss on his grave as well? Is he "open game"? Or only if he plays for a team you hate?It depends. Is the thing that's "pissing on his grave" funny?

4/29 NEVAR FORGET

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Wow. That's just classless.

Brock
05-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Cold.

Mecca
05-05-2007, 01:40 PM
UP makes me laugh....I won't lie.

Brock
05-05-2007, 01:46 PM
This isn't one of those rare occasions when making fun of the dead guy is funny.

POND_OF_RED
05-05-2007, 02:17 PM
One day too early...I think one week is the proper mourning time for a backup bullpen pitcher...

Also Astros embarass Cards 13-0 today. Carpenter having surgery and will miss 3 more months. Chris Duncan is the only everyday player batting over .300. The only positive thing going is that they might contend for the No. 1 overall draft pick next year.

Mecca
05-05-2007, 02:17 PM
This isn't one of those rare occasions when making fun of the dead guy is funny.

It's always funny......

Ultra Peanut
05-07-2007, 01:24 AM
The Dugout (http://dugout.progressiveboink.com/archive/jon115.html) was touching. :(

These, not so much; but damn funny nonetheless:

ATTENTION THESE ARE INSENSITIVE DO NOT READ IF EASILY OFFENDED KTHXBAI

Josh the pitcher stumbled out the bar,
He didn't think he'd be going that far.
But he'd had too much brew,
So high on weed that he flew,
Just not high enough to get over the car.

Josh Hancock, a Card out of luck
Was eyeing a bar and a ****
Some booze and some weed
A cell phone, car speed
But shot his last load in a truck

The day that Josh Hancock died
Millions of sportswriters cried
But now he's a disgrace
And there's egg on their face
And now they wish they hadn't lied

Josh Hancock used weed as a leaven
Still can't get out lefties in heaven
He'd pitched in Pawtucket
Had twelve drinks, said "**** it"
His BAC was .157

BigRedChief
05-07-2007, 07:01 AM
One day too early...I think one week is the proper mourning time for a backup bullpen pitcher...

Also Astros embarass Cards 13-0 today. Carpenter having surgery and will miss 3 more months. Chris Duncan is the only everyday player batting over .300. The only positive thing going is that they might contend for the No. 1 overall draft pick next year.
You are so wrong young grasshopper....
The positive is that we went to the World Series 2 out of the last 3 years. That ain't too shabby. Even thought we have won more championships than any other team (besides the Yankees) we still can't win it every year.
And lest we forget we are the current World Champions of baseball.

Al Bundy
05-07-2007, 07:45 AM
I am all for piling on someone who has mad a bad decision, but I will say at least he only took himself out. BooFrikkinHoo to the Cardinal fans getting all riled up.. at least they don't have to watch the car wreck on the field that is the Royals.