PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Hierarchy Sums Up the 2007 Draft

The Poz
04-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Sorry if it's a repost. I know how some of you guys get.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/04/29/chiefs_hierarchy_sums_up_the_2007_draft/

Chiefs Hierarchy Sums Up the 2007 Draft

CARL PETERSON: “Ultimately at the end of the day, one person has to make the decision on draft picks and it’s yours truly and it hasn’t changed in a long time – 18 years. But what I always try to do with Bill and Herm is determine who has the highest grade? What’s the next highest rated player? Yes, there are positions of need. You say where’s the next corner? Is it too far, is it too far a reach? If it is then you stay with your board. Once again, we stayed even in the second day with Kolby Smith and Justin Medlock.

“After this week and after the mini-camps there are going to be some changes again in the National Football League. We’ll see what happens. This is not the roster you’ll see when we go to training camp.

HERM EDWARDS: “You have some needs you’d like to fill when you go into the draft; there are always certain positions more than others. I think the thing that we’ve done the last two years in putting together our draft is we haven’t cheated the board. We haven’t thrown away a year and a half and sometimes two years of preparation on these players. When certain players were left off the board when we were ready to pick there maybe were some guys on the board who weren’t the value to go down and pick them. We stayed with the value of our board. That’s what you have to do when you understand the process of building and starting with some youth.

“You have to get the best players. You don’t want to reach all over the board and say we need this guy. We’re going to stick to the board and let the board weigh out. We’ve got some good players here and there are still a lot of things that are going to happen between now and training camp as usual. Last year it happened to us. We talked about corner last year a little bit. We ended up getting Ty Law and went out and signed some corners. There are a lot of different ways you can get these players. Our team at this point is not the team you will see on opening day. A lot of things will happen between now and training camp.

“What we wanted to do this draft was stick to the players we evaluated – as we did last year – and that you know and can come in here and play. Our first three players I know one thing: they’re going to make an impact on this football team right away. The game’s not too big for them. They played in big games. They will compete for positions on this football team.

“All of a sudden the Michael Bennett trade makes sense. We traded this year’s fourth round pick for him last year. He’s a fourth round running back along with Kolby Smith. We’ve got another running back to add to the mix. We went down the list and filled some needs.

“Did we fill all of them? No, unless you’ve got 20 picks you can’t in the draft. You have to dictate what the board lets you and you have to lucky. But we feel good about the players we drafted.”

Q: As you put together your board and went through the mock drafts did you see any scenarios where you wouldn’t get any corner at all? There wasn’t a guy there you liked?

BILL KUHARICH: “The corners went early as we expected. Then by the time we got into the second round there were a couple of corners that went early in the second and it seemed like we were always trying to play catch-up. When we got into the second day we didn’t have a fourth (round pick) and so we had to watch all those players come off. We had some corners targeted at five, six and seven, but once again when it came time for us to pick some of the guys we targeted were gone. That happens some time and you don’t get an opportunity to get one.”

Q: In the third you had a corner close to where you were picking, would it have been a reach to pick him at that point?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, because of the grade we had on (Tank) Tyler. It would have been. We needed to stick to the board because we felt we were getting a football player. I know one thing: if you want to help your secondary you have to put pressure on the quarterback. Period. Now we’ve done a pretty good job of stacking this defensive line where we’ve got a great rotation and got some guys who can get to the cornerback.”

Q: How much better are you in that phase of the game than you were a couple of days ago?

EDWARDS: “Not only that but the acquisition of some free agents. You can’t forget about that. We brought in two new linebackers and all of a sudden we’ve got three new defensive linemen we didn’t have last year. All these guys are good players: Boone, who we got from Chicago, and these two guys we drafted. All of a sudden at once we have depth. We can play very fast and very physical. Our linebacker acquisitions are very athletic all of a sudden. Our front seven is upgraded no doubt. We’ve got some youth back in the secondary as far as the safeties and some veteran corners. But we’ve improved our front seven.”

Q: The fact that you can do some things with your linebackers with Derrick Johnson and Donnie Edwards in coverage, and have an improved pass rush, does it make corner less than a major item?

PETERSON: “I sure hope so.”

EDWARDS: “You’re going to do some things differently. But when you can put pressure on the quarterback – and that’s the whole key – and don’t let the quarterback step up in the pocket or feel comfortable you do it by having athletic guys up front. We’ve upgraded that. There’s no question. Now, we’ve got to continue to build our football team.”

Q: The NFL has cracked down on the behavior issue. How much did that play into your decision on some picks as far as their off-the-field issues? Did you consider them small issues?

PETERSON: “They’re major issues and that’s why we research it thoroughly. We have our security people look into it; we have our director of player development look into it. If we feel it’s necessary we have these individuals meet with our psychologists and we discuss it in great depth. We go back and talk to their coaches, their academic people at the universities and try to get the true and full story and then make a decision if we should or should not go with this player.

“I would tell you that we had three or four players that we took off the board completely because we were concerned with the character issue.

KUHARICH: “And those players were drafted by other teams.”

PETERSON: “We spent time with them, some of them visited, we knew about their backgrounds.

“As I said earlier, we have in place one of the best player development departments in the NFL and these people know when they walk in they’re going to be scrutinized.

Q: Was Tank Tyler a first round pick on your board?

PETERSON: “No, but he was a very strong second round guy. When we saw that in the third round we had to go with our grades. And, Bill, how many guys evaluated him?

KUHARICH: “I think eight.”

PETERSON: “Some of these scouts have seen Tank for three years.”

Q: How much conversation has there been with Miami on Trent Green? Has there not been much the last couple of days?

PETERSON: “There’s been communication.”

Q: But it didn’t look like either Miami or Kansas City made a great effort to get this trade done. Is that’s a fair characterization?

PETERSON: “I don’t know if that’s fair. We presented to them what we thought was appropriate compensation for the value of a starting quarterback in the National Football League, a two-time Pro Bowler, and what we know and believe he could do if he went there. On the other side of that, we have to take into account the risk if we say good-bye to this player and what are we going to give up to do that.

“Obviously, they presented what they thought was appropriate and we didn’t think it was near enough. It didn’t work out. Sometimes trades don’t work out. There’s an old saying in our business that sometimes the best trade you make is the one that doesn’t happen.”

Q: Did you get closer?

PETERSON: “No, they never changed from their very first offer.”

eazyb81
04-29-2007, 05:36 PM
“All of a sudden the Michael Bennett trade makes sense. We traded this year’s fourth round pick for him last year. He’s a fourth round running back along with Kolby Smith. We’ve got another running back to add to the mix. We went down the list and filled some needs."

LOL, funny quote from Herm. It didn't make sense before? Or now it makes sense because we drafted Kolby Smith?

Hammock Parties
04-29-2007, 05:42 PM
It made more sense at the time we made the trade.

Hammock Parties
04-29-2007, 05:44 PM
got some guys who can get to the cornerback

WTF is transcribing these interviews?

OnTheWarpath15
04-29-2007, 05:45 PM

So we blinked, dropped our demands down to a 4th, and Mueller STILL wouldn't budge from a 7th?

This guy DESERVES Cleo Lemon, and he deserves to get BBQ'd by his fan base.

Pass on Brady Quinn. Take Ted Ginn. Could have EASILY took Quinn in the 1st and another solid WR early in the 2nd.....Jarrett?

I'm convinced this guy is a moron.

Is there another GM in the league that would rather have a combination of Ted Ginn and Cleo Lemon/John Beck over Brady Quinn and Dwayne Jarrett?

Dr. Johnny Fever
Sorry if it's a repost. I know how some of you guys get.

Chiefs Hierarchy Sums Up the 2007 Draft

Damn you! The word hierarchy has been posted before!

I swear.

Chiefs Pantalones
For some reason, I'm not a big fan of this year's draft. I'll probably warm up to it when they hit the field, though.

Hammock Parties

A 7th.

Those dicks.

el borracho
04-29-2007, 05:48 PM

So we blinked, dropped our demands down to a 4th, and Mueller STILL wouldn't budge from a 7th?

Pass on Brady Quinn. Take Ted Ginn. Could have EASILY took Quinn in the 1st and another solid WR early in the 2nd.....Jarrett?

Is there another GM in the league that would rather have a combination of Ted Ginn and Cleo Lemon/John Beck over Brady Quinn and Dwayne Jarrett?
Miami really ****ed up. They could have dropped down several spots and gotten Quinn, picked up a top receiver in the 2nd and had more day one picks. Idiots!

The Poz
04-29-2007, 05:56 PM
A 7th.

Those dicks.

True that. Those wieners are going to be useless this year even with that solid Defence. Taking a KR over a franchise QB then not even budging a bit for Trent. Well, Ted Ginn Jr. will see the ball a lot with all those kick returns they'll be receiving.

Screw Miami!

One thing I've wondered about. Why hasn't Chicago inquired about Green. I think that's all that team and Grossman need. A vet for him to learn from for a year or two. Just a thought. They have guys on their roster I'm sure we could have traded for.

RealSNR
04-29-2007, 05:56 PM

Is there another GM in the league that would rather have a combination of Ted Ginn and Cleo Lemon/John Beck over Brady Quinn and Dwayne Jarrett?I noticed that too. That guy is the biggest fargin' dumbass in the NFL. If I were a Fins fan, I'd call his office and chew his ass out

JimNasium
04-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Q: Many posters on Chiefsplanet do not approve with you selections on day 2 of the draft. What kind of impact does that have on the front office.

PETERSON: I know we have critics but I must admit that when I noticed that Gunther Fan had called day 2 two a failure it made me pause and reevaluate. You know, I think I agree, we really ****ed this one up.

the Talking Can
04-29-2007, 06:11 PM
yeah, you can't blame Carl...he started high and came down to a 4th....that's negotiating

Miami thinks they deserve a starting QB for free for some bizarre reason...some fans even think we should give them a starting QB for free...well, **** you Miami

the Talking Can
04-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Herm: "Our first three players I know one thing: they’re going to make an impact on this football team right away."

This is the first draft in a long time where all three 1st day picks are guaranteed to play.

We'll know a lot about those three after this year, unlike say Pollard...that IS exciting.

Hammock Parties
04-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Herm's horny for talent!

beer bacon
04-29-2007, 06:23 PM
I noticed that too. That guy is the biggest fargin' dumbass in the NFL. If I were a Fins fan, I'd call his office and chew his ass out

Dolphins fans are upset that Peterson was being so ridiculous as to demand a 4th round pick.

CoMoChief
04-29-2007, 06:35 PM
A 7th.

Those dicks.

Honestly do you think he's worth any much higher, homer aside?

I sure as hell don't.

el borracho
04-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Honestly do you think he's worth any much higher, homer aside?

I sure as hell don't.
2002-2005 Green was worth much more
2006 Green was not
2007 Green = ?

The Fins should have offered us a conditional pick in next year's draft. Maybe they still will.

OnTheWarpath15
04-29-2007, 06:43 PM
FinHeaven is comedy gold. I'm not gonna post links, because there are way too many....

They've decided their draft was worthy of a B grade and that John Beck is a better QB than Brady Quinn.

And you'd be shocked how many liked the Ginn pick......

ROFL ROFL

kc-nd
04-29-2007, 06:57 PM
“All of a sudden the Michael Bennett trade makes sense. We traded this year’s fourth round pick for him last year. He’s a fourth round running back along with Kolby Smith. We’ve got another running back to add to the mix. We went down the list and filled some needs."

LOL, funny quote from Herm. It didn't make sense before? Or now it makes sense because we drafted Kolby Smith?

I kind of wonder if he says it make sense in case Larry Johnson holds out at some point in the future. Otherwise, yes, it doesn't make any sense.

Hammock Parties
04-29-2007, 06:58 PM
LJ will never hold out.

kstater
04-29-2007, 07:00 PM
LJ will never hold out.

Is this "insider" information? :Poke:

J/K couldn't resist.

The Poz
04-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Q: Did you get closer?

Found a Miami draft bashing article that says otherwise:
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10155937/1

"But here's the other thing: Let's say that someone like, oh, Carolina would've taken Ginn. Or Pittsburgh. Or Green Bay, I don't care. At least you have a quarterback for him to work with. What do you have in Miami right now? John Beck? Cleo Lemon? Gibran Hamdan?

Please.

And don't give me Daunte Culpepper. The Dolphins have such little faith in him they continue to talk about acquiring Trent Green. In fact, the Dolphins and Chiefs spoke again Saturday, with Miami moving off its previous low-ball offer of a seventh-rounder.

This time they proposed a deal that included the Dolphins' sixth-round draft choice -- that is, their second sixth, or the 199th overall. That ended the conversation."

OnTheWarpath15
04-29-2007, 08:21 PM
Found a Miami draft bashing article that says otherwise:
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10155937/1

"But here's the other thing: Let's say that someone like, oh, Carolina would've taken Ginn. Or Pittsburgh. Or Green Bay, I don't care. At least you have a quarterback for him to work with. What do you have in Miami right now? John Beck? Cleo Lemon? Gibran Hamdan?

Please.

And don't give me Daunte Culpepper. The Dolphins have such little faith in him they continue to talk about acquiring Trent Green. In fact, the Dolphins and Chiefs spoke again Saturday, with Miami moving off its previous low-ball offer of a seventh-rounder.

This time they proposed a deal that included the Dolphins' sixth-round draft choice -- that is, their second sixth, or the 199th overall. That ended the conversation."

I call BS, considering there were multiple reports that the teams haven't talked since Thursday.......

ChiefsCountry
04-29-2007, 08:27 PM
LJ will never hold out.

Chiefs will never draft a kicker.

Mecca
04-29-2007, 08:37 PM
I don't think Green is worth a whole lot, I wouldn't have offered more than a 6.......

I remember thinking Ginn would end up going top 10 well before the draft just because of how he runs and such. Then he was injured and dropped and all that and somehow he ended up top 10.......teams will always overvalue track speed and big plays no matter how risky it is.

Hammock Parties
04-29-2007, 08:43 PM
It's not surprising that a team running a DV-style offense coveted Ginn so much. DV would have busted in his shorts over Samie Ginn, Jr.

chiefsfan1963
04-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Obviously there is a big disparity on what many on this board think Trent is worth. I for one can not blame CP on this. I believe giving up just a 4th rounder for him would not have been a good deal for us. they would have had to give up at least a 3rd in next year's draft as well as a 4th.

Right now I'm not convinced that Trent is not going to be our starter this year. I can see him getting back to the form he was before last year's injury and lighting it up. WIth TG, LJ, Webb, and now Bowe and Smith he is going to have a lot of weapons at his disposal despite the weakness on OL. Perhaps I'm being homerish but it could be a better season than I have recently predicted. No matter what happens KC will have a chance to really pick some quality players in next year's draft with a minimum of 7 picks one in each round. NO MISSED PICKS IS KEY ESPECIALLY ROUNDS 3-7.

I will be curious how this Trent situation pans out. I think KC is in a better negotiation position than Miami. I see them giving up perhaps some picks to us before everything is said and done. They want him there now, and that's what it's going to take to get him.

Eleazar
04-29-2007, 08:57 PM
I wonder where this info came from about how we were going to get multiple picks, that we would be surprised about the compensation that was coming for Green, when the reality was that Miami offered us a 7th and never budged from that?

Mecca
04-29-2007, 08:58 PM
I heard at one point they offered their 2 6's, and that was the most they moved.

boogblaster
04-29-2007, 09:26 PM
They offered their 2nd 6th..Reality they should have took Green and gave us the 4th..but I don't care if they don't have a QB in September...

Mojo Rising
04-30-2007, 12:47 AM
I think Cleveland made the biggest blunder. They gave an '08 top 10 pick (they will finish in the bottom 1/3 of the league) and a 4th because of fan pressure for a 21 pick.

I was very un-impressed with Quinn in every big game I saw him play in. If he was so good why did Weiss have to be his pimp? Recruitng?

Ginn's track speed put OSU ahead by 7 at the start of the title game vs the Gators. I believe he has football speed. Not Sammy Morris track speed.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-30-2007, 12:55 AM
Randy Mueller is not an idiot I can assure you all of that. I thought they would feel the need for Green. They didn't. They'll suck this year for it. Mueller will get that team on track though in the long run. If we can pick up an O lineman after the June cuts, this team could be a contender with the defense where it should be. Yeah, I'm a homer, but I don't think it's unrealistic to think we could contend this year. It all depends what happens in June.

keg in kc
04-30-2007, 12:58 AM
I would not assume that because the trade didn't happen this weekend that it won't happen at all.

King_Chief_Fan
04-30-2007, 06:25 AM
Obviously there is a big disparity on what many on this board think Trent is worth. I for one can not blame CP on this. I believe giving up just a 4th rounder for him would not have been a good deal for us. they would have had to give up at least a 3rd in next year's draft as well as a 4th.

Right now I'm not convinced that Trent is not going to be our starter this year. I can see him getting back to the form he was before last year's injury and lighting it up. WIth TG, LJ, Webb, and now Bowe and Smith he is going to have a lot of weapons at his disposal despite the weakness on OL. Perhaps I'm being homerish but it could be a better season than I have recently predicted. No matter what happens KC will have a chance to really pick some quality players in next year's draft with a minimum of 7 picks one in each round. NO MISSED PICKS IS KEY ESPECIALLY ROUNDS 3-7.

I will be curious how this Trent situation pans out. I think KC is in a better negotiation position than Miami. I see them giving up perhaps some picks to us before everything is said and done. They want him there now, and that's what it's going to take to get him.

The problem is that Peterson's value and the value of any potential suitors is way off. A 4th would have been a good deal. It appears that the Chiefs will have to cut Trent and Miami will pick him up for nothing. Trent will not be KC starter. He won't take a pay cut and the Chiefs would be crazy to pay Trent $7.3M for next year. It doesn't matter how many weapons Trent has, he is not capable of playing Herm ball behind the most pathetic O line I have ever seen in KC. Trent is good as gone.

foxman
04-30-2007, 09:01 AM
I would not assume that because the trade didn't happen this weekend that it won't happen at all.

I tend to agree with you on this. Trent IMO will end up traded to someone, probably Miami. I don't see us simply cutting Green although sure that is a possible scenario and I am sure that going in that played into Miami sticking to it's 7th round offer.

I don't think we are just an o-lineman away from being a contender. I would have like to see a handfull of o-lineman brought in to compete for some starting jobs and if nothing else push each other for playing time.