PDA

View Full Version : let's talk offense...

Chris Meck
05-01-2007, 05:59 PM
I know a lot of people are very pessimistic about our possibilities this year.

I'm a little more optimistic.

We never really did settle on a RT last season, so I'd consider that position the same as last year; although with a little more hope. Terry, if he's allowed to play, has the talent. Svitek is maybe up to it. I think LT will be better, upgraded to 'solid' but unspectacular. He's no Roaf, but nobody is.

We've got a new talent at WR, and if Webb is even solid, I think we've signifigantly helped the position. I don't think Parker can even crack #3 as Webb is your returner now (I'd imagine.)

I think the biggest change will be that we have an offseason in which to put together an identity that will fit our personnell rather than changing on the fly like last year.

I've said it in other posts, but I really think making use of play-action in the passing game will be key. Keep that stacked front honest. Croyle has a bigger arm than Green ever did, and I think with Kennison and Bowe we could hit some deep balls off of PA. Those safeties will be thinking run support due to Johnson.

I think you can really use Wilson as an H-Back weapon; motion him up to line opposite Gonzales and run things as a one-back, two TE, two WR set. You can run it; you can pass and have 4 receivers in the pattern. You can keep him in the backfield to help with the rush. Gonzales should be a little free-er due to Bowe's physical presence.

I just think #16 last year with all the injury problems we had was pretty remarkable. I think we can do that well with an offseason to plan even with probably a young QB. There are a lot of weapons there, IMO.

Sully
05-01-2007, 06:03 PM
I'd love to see the return of the DeBerg play action game, but in order for it to work, the running game has to be dangerous. In order for that to happen, our line has to prove it can open a hole or two, in order to make the safeties overplay the run... which is where all our doubts come into play.
The good news is that the D is getting much better. This almost always helps a running game, because the more chances to run usually equals wearing down a defense to the point that 1-3 yard gains can become 5-8 yard gains in the 2nd half (the Jerome Bettis theorem).

Smed1065
05-01-2007, 06:09 PM
I have written 2007 off as a rebuilding year honestly and I feel our OL will be our Achilles tendon this year. I expect next year to be a good OL line year in the draft and then we will be competitive in the playoffs after 2008. IMO.

Direckshun
05-01-2007, 06:12 PM
This isn't what you had in mind, but Keyshawn Johnson's on my mind so forgive me.

Acquiring KJ would give us two significant veteran talents. EK can stretch the field, KJ can own it. Bowe can crash the middle of the field. Parker and Hannon can race. Webb can be a top-notch slot receiver. To say nothing of Tony G or Wilson coming out of the backfield.

Our OL will need a lot of work but if we have a threatening pass game and Larry f'ing Johnson, we don't need a dominant line to be successful.

Expect more work to be done for the OL before the season starts, and next year will be crucial in repairing that unit.

Right now I'd have to say:

LT - McIntosh
LG - Waters
C - Weigmann
RG - Welbourne
RT - Sampson

Donger
05-01-2007, 06:16 PM
It's threads like these that make CP great.

Pray continue gentlemen.

kcmaxwell
05-01-2007, 07:25 PM
It's threads like these that make CP great.

Pray continue gentlemen.

I couldn't agree more... its not the woe is us... actual constructive conversation... what a concept!! thanks, enjoying it!

maxwell

greg63
05-01-2007, 07:33 PM
let's talk offense...

I felt as if the draft was particularly offensive.

Direckshun
05-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Draft was fine.

Chances are we drafted 4 immediate starters if you count Medlock.

cdcox
05-01-2007, 07:36 PM
For me it hinges on several aspects:

1. Coaching/play calling. Let's assume that we can take nothing from last year. Herm isn't going to run that damn circus offense (DCO). Hopefully, he'll let go of RRPK as well. I assume that Herm and Solari have a vision of a physical, diverse offense that has a balance of pass and run. But, if things don't go right, if Herm loses confidence, like last year, we can expect to see the re-emergence of RRPK and then I expect the offense to be worse.

2. LJ. Yeah, 400 carries is just a number and LJ is an extrordinary running back. But if history has anything to say, Larry will be significantly less productive this year (under 4.0 ypc). That is not a prediction, but it is a possibility that one has to acknowledge when forcasting the offensive production. Herm will want to run Larry less this year and I think he will make good on that, at least.

3. Offensive Line. Obviously this won't be a strength like in the past. The situation with Terry adds uncertainty to an already uncertain situation. OL takes time to gel. But there is a small window of hope things will be better than last year, especially if we can avoid injuries. I think solid (not spectacular) line play is a prerequisite for good performance from...

4. QB. I'm not a Huard fan due to his limited ability and his age. There is no up side there. I'm hoping Croyle will emerge. I would trade the whole next season for development of Croyle into a solid starter in '08 or even '09. Only about 1/3 first round draft choices emerge to be a franchise QB. The odds drop for QBs not taken in the first round, but its still possible. I'm sure Herm/Solari will implement an offense that gives him a good chance to succeed.

5. Development of the WR. Kennision is the only proven guy and most of his contemporaries are out of the league due to age. Parker might do okay in the slot. I'm pretty sure that Bowe will win the #2 posiiton, but can he have enough production for him to be more than a distraction? I'm not counting on Webb. I've seen so many developing WR over the the last 10 years I can't keep track of them all. What makes Webb any different?

That's too many things that have to go right. Truthfully, I'd be happy with:

1) a low work load for LJ
2) identifying solid long term starters for at least 3 OL positions
3) promising starts and continual slow development of Bowe and Croyle
4) developing an offensive identity

If we did that but only averaged 17 points a game, I'd consider it to be a great season.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-01-2007, 07:40 PM
I think if the O line can protect at least enough to be average we'll be ok. I don't think things are as bad as some folks think. Of course our QB situation is a big key and question mark simply because we don't know yet who it will be.

Buehler445
05-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Did anybody every watch Croyle play at Alabama? Does he really have the goods or was he a 3rd round "In case he has talent" pick?

boogblaster
05-01-2007, 08:51 PM
The O this year will be limited to safe play-calling..It looks like Herm is building the D to stay close in games..The Kid has a bigger-gun than Huard, but Huard has the experince..only thing I dont like about Huard is his small hands..Dave Krieg like..fumbles alot and passes sail high ....

OnTheWarpath15
05-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Did anybody every watch Croyle play at Alabama? Does he really have the goods or was he a 3rd round "In case he has talent" pick?

He dropped to the 3rd round because of his injury history.

Much like Tank Tyler dropped to the 3rd round because of his off-the-field issues.

Croyle has the goods. He had minimal talent around him and still managed to win some big games, and he holds a boatload of Alabama passing records, IIRC.

pikesome
05-01-2007, 09:15 PM

His Oline seemed like they were paid to take Croyle out. Bad, even worse than the Chiefs at times. That makes it hard to shine. He did do well at Senior Bowl workouts if IRC.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-01-2007, 10:00 PM

He was a "has the goods, but has an injury history and a slight frame" pick. He's the real deal, physically.

Fish
05-01-2007, 10:02 PM
I am dead on the fence over Solari. I really don't know what to think. There were so many problems with the offense last year, I don't think it was ever clear where the bulk of the blame should have been laid. He had so much to deal with for a first year OC, at what point do you have to give him a break for the bad luck?

I still don't think it's clear whether Herm is dictating the offense any...

I do expect improvement on the OLine... somehow... and the Chiefs' reluctance to reach for a OL in the draft strangely comforts me....

Buehler445
05-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the input about Croyle. Hopefully he is our guy.

Sully
05-02-2007, 10:18 AM
I am dead on the fence over Solari. I really don't know what to think. There were so many problems with the offense last year, I don't think it was ever clear where the bulk of the blame should have been laid. He had so much to deal with for a first year OC, at what point do you have to give him a break for the bad luck?

I still don't think it's clear whether Herm is dictating the offense any...

I do expect improvement on the OLine... somehow... and the Chiefs' reluctance to reach for a OL in the draft strangely comforts me....
I think it would be a shame to turn on Solari after one year. This is a guy who is regarded league-wide as one of the best at coaching the OL, and if he can combine that with a continued learning curve at calling plays on Sunday, he could be a decent OC.
I worry about who is steering the ship, Herm or Solari, but I hope to see some different things this year (blind hope... but hope nonetheless).

RealSNR
05-02-2007, 12:45 PM
We're doing different things with our line this year. Since we'll have an entire offseason to (basically) learn a new playbook, the line will have had experience doing what they're required to do. That means you take guys like Waters and Weigman and up their production from last year, when they were a mobile offensive line playing maul ball.

I'd be perfectly satisfied with Croyle at QB using three-step drops and lots of screens. That should enable us to do not be TOTALLY helpless on offense like some people think.

It will be a good season for experiencing growing pains on offense. The 2008 season should show significant improvement.

This WILL be an exciting team to watch again. This time an exciting team with a defense.

Pitt Gorilla
05-02-2007, 12:48 PM
I look forward to seeing Hannon on the field.

JBucc
05-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Croyle will do fine for a 2nd year first time starting QB as long as he remembers his safety valves in TG and LJ if they're not in to block and hopefully McIntosh and whoever at RT will do well enough that they won't have to as much as last year. I don't expect Hannon to ever do anything. Webb however I have high hopes for and I think he'll take Parker's spot if Parker isn't outright cut. I'll say we'll be around where we were last year, 16th, right in the middle. D top 10.

htismaqe
05-02-2007, 12:58 PM
I don't expect Hannon to ever do anything. Webb however I have high hopes for and I think he'll take Parker's spot if Parker isn't outright cut.

:bravo:

Alot of focus here is on Hannon and IMO, Webb is the guy to be watching.

bdeg
05-02-2007, 01:02 PM
I think it would be a shame to turn on Solari after one year. This is a guy who is regarded league-wide as one of the best at coaching the OL.

I have hope for Solari as well, but as Herm would say, "good players make good coaches." We had arguably the best O-Linemen in the NFL while Solari was the line coach.

JimNasium
05-02-2007, 01:08 PM
I'd love to see us run more of a Washington Redskins ala mid-1980s. Hell, I'd even love to see the double-tight formation.

Reerun_KC
05-02-2007, 01:09 PM
I would give Htismaqe's left nut if Herm was smart enough not to continually run agianst 9-10 man fronts for no gains....

Chiefnj
05-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Offense Big Questions/Concerns/Problems:

1. Playcalling.
2. QB. Will the winner actually win out, or win by default?
3. The right side of the OL. Who will play? Who will be suspended?
4. It will take time for the new OL to gel.
5. Will LJ hold out? If so, it will impede the OL's development.
6. Can Joyner develop a WR?
7. Who will be the fullback?

Defense
1. Are Page and Pollard ready to step up?
2. What happens if Nap Harris continues with his injuries? Who will play MLB?
3. Can the Chiefs generate a pass rush when Allen misses the first 4 games?
4. Can Krumrie develop the new DT talent and/or get Reed and Edwards to play better? Will the middle of the pocket ever collapse?

htismaqe
05-02-2007, 01:21 PM
I would give Htismaqe's left nut if Herm was smart enough not to continually run agianst 9-10 man fronts for no gains....

It's not about being smart. Herm knows he's not supposed to repeatedly run against 9-man fronts.

He's just too scared to throw the ball.

He's smart enough, he's just not brave enough.

Iowanian
05-02-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm not pessimistic about the offense this year, but I think it will be a poor statistical year to be taking any Chiefs in a fantasy draft.

Regardless of how the Oline shakes out, with a young QB and WR, Herm will be simplifying the offense. This should help protect the line by using more 2 TE sets, more physical WRs to run the slants and run block. I think if Bennett can stay healthy, he'll be productive as a change of pace and I expect to see Kolby Smith on the field, maybe in some 2 back sets, or takign those 3rd down reps.

Play calling will likely be much more conservative with a team that just lines up and runs a play.

DenverChief
05-02-2007, 01:40 PM
I HATE THE PLAY-ACTION PASSING GAME!! It is too vunerable and if the run isn't working then neither is the passing game...they know we can't run so they come after the QB and game over....Croyle ran a straight drop back [assing game at Alabama....lets not mess with what is not broke our offense runs just fine lke it is....It will never be like the days of Green and Roaf and Shields and Holmes but it will be a serviceable offense....does that mean I don't think we should run play-action plays? NO but I don't want our whole offense running off that crap -- nobody uses that as thier offense anymore

Reerun_KC
05-02-2007, 02:32 PM
It's not about being smart. Herm knows he's not supposed to repeatedly run against 9-man fronts.

He's just too scared to throw the ball.

He's smart enough, he's just not brave enough.

I guess your nuts are safe then buddy....

Speaking of nuts, where in the hell is Mr. Parcells been lately?

htismaqe
05-02-2007, 02:39 PM
I guess your nuts are safe then buddy....

Speaking of nuts, where in the hell is Mr. Parcells been lately?

Batteries probably died in his broken record player. Now if only yours would do the same. :D

Reerun_KC
05-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Batteries are probably died in his broken record player. Now if only yours would do the same. :D

Energizer Bunnies! They just keep going and going and going.........

Life is good to be young and full of energy!

Chief Faithful
05-02-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm not too concerned with the talent level, but with all the change of personel and scheme I'm afraid it is going to take half the season to get in rythm.

htismaqe
05-02-2007, 02:47 PM
I'm not too concerned with the talent level, but with all the change of personel and scheme I'm afraid it is going to take half the season to get in rythm.

That's fine. Use this season to work out the kinks, add a few more players next season, and make a run...

2bikemike
05-02-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm not pessimistic about the offense this year, but I think it will be a poor statistical year to be taking any Chiefs in a fantasy draft.

Regardless of how the Oline shakes out, with a young QB and WR, Herm will be simplifying the offense. This should help protect the line by using more 2 TE sets, more physical WRs to run the slants and run block. I think if Bennett can stay healthy, he'll be productive as a change of pace and I expect to see Kolby Smith on the field, maybe in some 2 back sets, or takign those 3rd down reps.

Play calling will likely be much more conservative with a team that just lines up and runs a play.

I agree with this. It will be just like Huards first couple of games last year. Ultra conservative. I think one of the biggest keys will be if Bennet can stay healthy enough to take the load off of LJ.

Easy 6
05-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Who says the Planet cant generate good football discussion as much these days???

Between this & Mr. Kotters Cover2 breakdown, i'm seeing a lot of great analysis.

I agree with those who say we will remain conservative like last year, with the difference being that all are used to it & know exactly what to expect & what their roles will be.

I'm fine with a run oriented attack, it will be easier to find success with the run game, especially early on, with all of the new faces on the O line. I see McIntosh panning out at LT & IF, IF, IF Crampson decides he wants to play football, then this line could elevate itself to ATLEAST above average. Whichever QB we put back there is NOT going to get sacked as often as last year.

We have a strong stable of backs, even if Bennett goes down (he will) there is still Ross & Smith to pick up the slack.

Like many have already said, we should be able to PA the dog dookie out of teams this year because of the strong run game, not to mention a LT who wont give up eleventy-billion sacks.

Sure, some of it is based in Glorious Homerism, but i feel we can make some plays at WR this year as well. EK has another 800 or so in him, Bowe should be able to move the chains & kill some guys on fades, i have a good feeling about Webb...i just think he's a football player from what i've seen. Hannon is boom or bust, but he's starting out with 2 of 3 great assets, size & speed, if he has hands then fuggedabowdit. Tonys still in the house...

I say we move to #10 overall on O, the upgrades are there to make it possible. The cup doesnt runneth over, but theres still plenty to drink.

Direckshun
05-02-2007, 05:38 PM
I have seen absolutely nothing from Ross or Smith to convince me they could fill in adequately for Bennett.

I thought Smith was a weak pick, and Ross' ineptitude is the very reason LJ broke a single-season carries record.

KCBOSS1
05-02-2007, 05:40 PM
To me, obviously everything will hinge on the offensive line (as always, the battles are won in the trenches). If Brodie gets time, Bowe can be a scary weapon....Colston like. I follow the SEC, Brodie played very well there for what he was surrounded by, Bowe torched us (Arkansas) frequently and we had an exceptional defense with Houston guarding him. This guy is a handful.....my pick of the litter as far as receivers were concerned.

Easy 6
05-02-2007, 05:45 PM
I have seen absolutely nothing from Ross or Smith to convince me they could fill in adequately for Bennett.

I thought Smith was a weak pick, and Ross' ineptitude is the very reason LJ broke a single-season carries record.

I see a little bit of jitterbug with Ross, he's not surefire, but i'll take him over Dee Browneye any 'ol day.

Everything i've read about Smith points to a solid producer, not great anywhere, but solid everywhere. Decent speed, power & hands.

htismaqe
05-02-2007, 05:45 PM

Heather Mills could fill in adequately for Bennett. She's got the same number of good legs...

Direckshun
05-02-2007, 05:56 PM
I see a little bit of jitterbug with Ross, he's not surefire, but i'll take him over Dee Browneye any 'ol day.

Everything i've read about Smith points to a solid producer, not great anywhere, but solid everywhere. Decent speed, power & hands.
Oh lord yes. Dee Brown sucks a mishapen turd.

I want role players, not mediocre do-everythingers. Not a fan of Kolby Smith, but who the hell knows.