PDA

View Full Version : College Tuition is ****ed Up....

recxjake
05-01-2007, 09:31 PM

recxjake
05-01-2007, 09:36 PM
oh and that is in-state tuition...

noa
05-01-2007, 09:38 PM
That sucks hardcore.

Dunit35
05-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Do you get credit hours for internship?

stlchiefs
05-01-2007, 09:43 PM
You are getting college credit right? It's no different than taking an on campus class during the summer, except you are doing an internship. Would it be better to just volunteer on the campaign and skip the 3 hours to save the money. A lot of times paying for summer school fees like you listed isn't worth it unless you are taking at least 6 to 9 credit hours. I'd recommend not taking the hours or taking another class or 2.

recxjake
05-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Do you get credit hours for internship?

Yea, 3... it actually works out well because I will graduate on time now next May...... but 900 bucks is crazy...

I think $500 or so probably goes to a prof who gets to read my 5 page paper at the end of the year telling how many things I learned!

cdcox
05-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Yea, 3... it actually works out well because I will graduate on time now next May...... but 900 bucks is crazy...

I think $500 or so probably goes to a prof who gets to read my 5 page paper at the end of the year telling how many things I learned!

Doubtful.

petegz28
05-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Just another example of how our College system is corrput and money hungry. The funniest part about college is you pay out the ass for someone in the end who can fail you.

That to me sounds like paying a mechanic to break your car. And then charge you more to fix it.

recxjake
05-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Doubtful.

???

The "class" actually has a prof...... He's gettin a chunk of it

stlchiefs
05-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Just another example of how our College system is corrput and money hungry. The funniest part about college is you pay out the ass for someone in the end who can fail you.

That to me sounds like paying a mechanic to break your car. And then charge you more to fix it.

or you pay out the ass for an education and YOU can fail. Professors don't fail students, students fail themselves. You get the grade you earn (or don't earn).

stlchiefs
05-01-2007, 09:50 PM
I agree, but I'd have to do in next summer because I'm 3 hours short of graduating next May

So either take another class over the summer to get your money's worth from the fees and have a lighter load next semester or bone up and take the extra 3 credits next semester.

petegz28
05-01-2007, 09:52 PM
or you pay out the ass for an education and YOU can fail. Professors don't fail students, students fail themselves. You get the grade you earn (or don't earn).

BS. But I am not here to debate that.

RealSNR
05-01-2007, 09:54 PM
If you supported Hillary she'd do everything she could to help you out at the taxpayers' expense

KCChiefsMan
05-01-2007, 09:55 PM
my major required a 16 hour credit internship with ridiculous deadlines (april 20th or some crap for an august internship, when most companies don't start interviewing for that until the summer at the earliest)...anyways I had to pay KU for 16 course hours and pay all of the campus fees..PLUS an extra "higher learning" fee of $125, which made no sense to me whatsoever because all KU had to do was review my internship review and that probably took less then 30 minutes. so basically I paid about $3,500 to work for free. and I had a full time job all through school and paid for everything myself....that sucked a lot. working the internship 9-5 and then going to work 6-CL at that restaurant to pay bills

recxjake
05-01-2007, 09:56 PM
If you supported Hillary she'd do everything she could to help you out at the taxpayers' expense

hahaha

I understand that you should have to pay tuition and fees for summer school just like everyother semester.... but not for tuition where I will will be $0 expense to the University.....

Basically they are charing me $900.00 dollars to advance my future... thanks

stlchiefs
05-01-2007, 09:58 PM
True, everyone in college understands the element of choosing the right professor. Sometimes the easy A is the best route to getting through a class, sometimes the hard azz teacher turns out to be a great experience.

That said, anyone who tries to blame their failures on another person is just a whiny bitch. Nothing in life is fair or easy, but at least take responsibility for your own actions and don't try to pawn them off on the system.

cdcox

What gets me is kids who complain about the cost, but then don't put in enough time and effort to pass the class. :deevee:

Higher education remains one of the best investments available. The difference between median income over 25 male worker with a BS degree ($50,916) holder is almost twice that of a HS grad ($28,763).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States

For every $1 you spend on education, you can expect to earn over $30 back.

http://education.yahoo.com/college/financial_aid/articles/college_an_investment_in_yourself.html

petegz28
Youc an always just claim you are an illegal alien, um I mean undocumented worker. The $'s willf all from the sky for you then

recxjake
05-01-2007, 09:59 PM
my major required a 16 hour credit internship with ridiculous deadlines (april 20th or some crap for an august internship, when most companies don't start interviewing for that until the summer at the earliest)...anyways I had to pay KU for 16 course hours and pay all of the campus fees..PLUS an extra "higher learning" fee of $125, which made no sense to me whatsoever because all KU had to do was review my internship review and that probably took less then 30 minutes. so basically I paid about $3,500 to work for free. and I had a full time job all through school and paid for everything myself....that sucked a lot. working the internship 9-5 and then going to work 6-CL at that restaurant to pay bills

That blows....

I'm working M-Th 8 to 5 for Rudy.... then Friday, Sat and Sun at Lowe's 10 hours a day to pay for living expenses.... I shouldn't bitch though, a lot of people have it much harder then me.

petegz28
05-01-2007, 10:00 PM
What gets me is kids who complain about the cost, but then don't put in enough time and effort to pass the class. :deevee:

Higher education remains one of the best investments available. The difference between median income over 25 male worker with a BS degree ($50,916) holder is almost twice that of a HS grad ($28,763).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States

For every $1 you spend on education, you can expect to earn over $30 back.

http://education.yahoo.com/college/financial_aid/articles/college_an_investment_in_yourself.html

And the biggest myth is that having a degree means you are educated. I work with plenty of college educated morons. Work with some very smart college people too.

The cost of college is so over blown it is pathetic. Then there is the whole "where you went to school" bs too.

Anyone ever ask you where you went to high school? Why not?

recxjake
True, everyone in college understands the element of choosing the right professor. Sometimes the easy A is the best route to getting through a class, sometimes the hard azz teacher turns out to be a great experience.

That said, anyone who tries to blame their failures on another person is just a whiny bitch. Nothing in life is fair or easy, but at least take responsibility for your own actions and don't try to pawn them off on the system.

well said....

stlchiefs
I'm taking 17 hours next semester and 17 in the spring of 08.... you can take a max of 18 hours.... so i would still end up 1 hour short.... I wish I would have done the math when I was a freshman taking 13 hours.

I don't know where you are going to school, but look into the possibility of taking more hours. I took a couple of 19 hour semesters. I know I had to requested permission to do this and maybe even pay an extra fee, but in the end it may be cheaper for you to do that than pay all the summer fees for 1 class. Just a thought.

HolmeZz
05-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Are you allowed to get a government internship without being able to spell the word government?

cdcox
05-01-2007, 10:02 PM
???

The "class" actually has a prof...... He's gettin a chunk of it

Maybe or maybe not. I'm on a 9 mo contract and will do at least 40 of work for the university this summer (not related to my research) without receiving a dime.

If we do recieve extra money for teaching a summer class, it is a not as large a chuck of the tuition as your example.

recxjake
05-01-2007, 10:02 PM
And the biggest myth is that having a degree means you are educated. I work with plenty of college educated morons. Work with some very smart college people too.

The cost of college is so over blown it is pathetic. Then there is the whole "where you went to school" bs too.

College degrees are a dime a dozen now... You have to go to grad school now to seperate yourself.

Soupnazi
05-01-2007, 10:03 PM

Ever been to St. Louis? That's all those fruits want to talk about. Seriously.

cdcox
05-01-2007, 10:04 PM
To some extent... There are three different profs teaching a law class.... one is hardcore, one is in the middle, and one is easy.... of course my stuipd ass got in the hard one.... but on the transcript it will say introduction to law... nothing else... and my buddy that has easy prof is going to have an A, and I will have a B.... and he even admits that his class is much easier... we compared tests and writing assignments and grading....

A very important part of college is just registering for the right prof and TA's

Who learned more? Who got more for their money.

Your grades won't mean squat 5 year out, but your ability to learn will.

stlchiefs

That's funny. I don't know if you've ever known people from St. Louis, but that is one of the first questions they ask people, especially another person from St. Louis. It's the weirdest damn thing, but where you went to HS is a big thing around here, especially the private school system.

I do agree with your other statements though. I know many college graduate "idiots" who I wouldn't trust to pump my gas. In the end it all comes down to proving yourself in the real world.

'Hamas' Jenkins

By my calculations I graded about 700 papers this year, and taught 3 courses, making a whopping 8000 for my efforts.

That would be an average of about 11.40 per paper if you consider me lecturing, grading homework, conducting conferences, and preparing lesson plans for free.

The lesson as always: you're a f*cking idiot.

recxjake
05-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Maybe or maybe not. I'm on a 9 mo contract and will do at least 40 of work for the university this summer (not related to my research) without receiving a dime.

If we do recieve extra money for teaching a summer class, it is a not as large a chuck of the tuition as your example.

The only reason I think he will get a big chunk is because he is the chair for the undergrad department of Poly Sci.... Even so, if he only gets a 100 bucks, it will be the easiest 100 he will ever make.

stlchiefs
05-01-2007, 10:05 PM

Nice, you beat me to it. I had the same comment.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-01-2007, 10:07 PM
The only reason I think he will get a big chunk is because he is the chair for the undergrad department of Poly Sci.... Even so, if he only gets a 100 bucks, it will be the easiest 100 he will ever make.

Reading anything you've written has to fall under the category of punitive damages, hence the pay rate.

ChiefsCountry
05-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Most bullshit thing in college is that the idiots who run the thing want a bell curve with "C" being the highest point.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-01-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm not sure if you understand... I don't live in Iowa City, I won't touch the campus, I won't use anything on campus... I will simply e-mail him a 5 page paper telling him what I learned.... for 900 bucks.

I'm paying 900 bucks for NOTHING except a few words on a transcript....

And this internship will in no way shape or form help you on job interviews or help with your networking or social skills. And you're of course not getting credit, right? What really sucks is that it's making you get out a semester early, so that you don't have the privilege of having to either start repaying student loans earlier or b) taking extra and unnecessary course loads to keep your full time status.

I can't believe you've matriculated this far through the system without getting caught.

cdcox
05-01-2007, 10:12 PM
College degrees are a dime a dozen now... You have to go to grad school now to seperate yourself.

The society that we live in is very complex. 100 years ago an 8th grade education was good enough. To support the standard of living that most people would like to have, you need to add a lot of value to whatever product you work with. And to do that, you need an advanced education. The correlation between standard of living and education of the workforce is not accidental. Economies are too efficient to tolerate such a large accident.

Universities take workers that are worth $28K a year in productivity and turn them in to workers that are worth $51K in productivity or even more with graduate training. That is value added.

Phobia
05-01-2007, 10:14 PM
You should take an economics course to complete your studies. The University has an entire campus to maintain, staff to pay, coaches to pay, athletes to recruit, and a host of other expenses indirectly related to your 3 credit hours.

cdcox
05-01-2007, 10:14 PM

Believe me, I've read some student papers that were so painful that I'd easily give up the $100 so I wouldn't have to read them.

stlchiefs
05-01-2007, 10:16 PM
You should take an economics course to complete your studies. The University has an entire campus to maintain, staff to pay, coaches to pay, athletes to recruit, and a host of other expenses indirectly related to your 3 credit hours.

You forgot the fleet of foreign automobiles they purchase and maintain.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Believe me, I've read some student papers that were so painful that I'd easily give up the $100 so I wouldn't have to read them.

My personal favorite, a research paper:

"Why Gangs are Good"

I died a little that day.

recxjake
05-01-2007, 10:19 PM
And this internship will in no way shape or form help you on job interviews or help with your networking or social skills. And you're of course not getting credit, right? What really sucks is that it's making you get out a semester early, so that you don't have the privilege of having to either start repaying student loans earlier or b) taking extra and unnecessary course loads to keep your full time status.

I can't believe you've matriculated this far through the system without getting caught.

And this has anything to do with the University??? I found the internship, i make the contacts, i did the work... I simply want it on my transcript and that will cost me 900 bucks...

stlchiefs
05-01-2007, 10:21 PM
My personal favorite, a research paper:

"Why Gangs are Good"

I died a little that day.

Friendship, camaraderie, protection, income, social skills, business and entrepreneurial skills and fun. What more could you ask for? Don't tell me you're not in a gang Hamas.

The only people that hate on gangs are the ones that couldn't get in.

cdcox
05-01-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm not sure if you understand... I don't live in Iowa City, I won't touch the campus, I won't use anything on campus... I will simply e-mail him a 5 page paper telling him what I learned.... for 900 bucks.

No, you are paying $900 for the chance to avoid another semester of school allowing you to graduate in May and start earning money. It is a great investment. You should be happy to do it.

BTW, for every course like yours that the university has a large "profit margin" on, there are other courses that they lose money on, but offer any way. The uniform fee is easy and practical to implement and avoids extrordinarily high costs for other courses.

Also, if you go to a state-supported univerisity, the state is heavily subsidizing your education. If you go to a private one, then endowments (gifts from alumni) are likely doing the same. That's before any financial aid you receive.

stlchiefs
05-01-2007, 10:22 PM
And this has anything to do with the University??? I found the internship, i make the contacts, i did the work... I simply want it on my transcript and that will cost me 900 bucks...]]

Take the advice and look into a 20 hours semester. Save yourself the $900 and bitching, finish on time and still get your experience w/ Rudy G.

cdcox
05-01-2007, 10:25 PM
]]

Take the advice and look into a 20 hours semester. Save yourself the $900 and bitching, finish on time and still get your experience w/ Rudy G.

This is good advice. Many schools will allow you to take an "over load" if you have strong academic performance. You just have to get it approved. It's worth checking into if you think you can handle the additional load.

Phobia
05-01-2007, 10:26 PM
I would say the University is doing a poor job of educating the young man.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-01-2007, 10:27 PM
I would say the University is doing a poor job of educating the young man.

Some prospects, no matter how much coaching, lack the basic tools to succeed.

stlchiefs
05-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Some prospects, no matter how much coaching, lack the basic tools to succeed.

Does everything have to revert back to Sim's lazy ass?

Jenson71
05-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Well law school's pretty expensive, from what I understand. And based off my small amount of research, it seems there's not near the amount of grants/scholarships/aid that there is in law school compared to grad school. I could be wrong though.

stlchiefs
05-04-2007, 03:07 PM
So you went and whined to them about $842.56 that it's going to cost you to
1. Get college credit (god forbid you pay for it)
2. Get an amazing life experience and make great contacts?

Nothing against Rudy, but it scares me that someone on working for him was sympathetic to your "plight"

Bearcat
05-04-2007, 03:23 PM
NWMSU started online classes when I was there... I was a little annoyed that I had to take upper-level computer science classes online because they weren't offered in-class. On top of that, they charged me out of state tuition.

Why?

They told me "because we don't know if a student taking an online class is really in-state or not".

Um, why not take a look at what I'm paying for the other 15 hours this semester, or the 60 previous credits, or hmmm... my permanent address? :cuss: :banghead:

We made it an issue and they ended up changing the policy the semester after I graduated... so I guess I helped other people.

It was $95/credit hour when I started in '98, $120/hr when I left, and now it's up to $194 :shake:

Stewie
05-04-2007, 03:26 PM
My parents spent a total of about $10K for my... ugh... 5 year education. Of course it was in-state and I had a scholarship for the first 4 years. If I knew then what I know now, I'd work for a company right out of high school that pays for education. We've had several people who had no means, but were smart/good workers who now have degrees. Just a thought.

Eleazar
05-04-2007, 03:30 PM
So you went and whined to them about $842.56 that it's going to cost you to
1. Get college credit (god forbid you pay for it)
2. Get an amazing life experience and make great contacts?

Nothing against Rudy, but it scares me that someone on working for him was sympathetic to your "plight"

For crying out loud. There goes any chance of me sending in a donation if he ends up being my candidate... financing some whiner college student who could make that in two weeks if he wanted to. Meanwhile, I'm working full time plus paying $250 a credit hour out of my own pocket.

Pass him the tissues.

StcChief
05-04-2007, 05:34 PM
It's a size you and your family up, economically BS.

When I moved here that's what I got when I was out.

No wonder my friends are NOT from STL.

The Bad Guy
05-04-2007, 05:36 PM
I interned with NFL Films for the spring semester of my senior year.

I paid 10 grand to intern because half a semester at my college is that much, another grand in rent because I had to live with a friend, and all the expenses driving back and forth 80 miles a day to work there.

Quit your ****ing bellyaching.

DaKCMan AP
05-04-2007, 05:58 PM

Become an engineer. Our internships are paid. Very well paid. :D

stlchiefs
05-04-2007, 08:53 PM
It's a size you and your family up, economically BS.

When I moved here that's what I got when I was out.

No wonder my friends are NOT from STL.

No wonder I want to move back to KC, where people are real and everybody knows your name :)

Delano
05-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Doesn't your school have scholarships available for summer or intern credits? Those things are extremely easy to get. In fact, a lot of times they have to actively seek people to apply to give out the money.

There are certain unpaid internships like teaching (I think) that are much more expensive than your puny three credit hours expense.

recxjake
05-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Doesn't your school have scholarships available for summer or intern credits? Those things are extremely easy to get. In fact, a lot of times they have to actively seek people to apply to give out the money.

There are certain unpaid internships like teaching (I think) that are much more expensive than your puny three credit hours expense.

It isn't about the money... I work 20+ hours a week during school and I will work 30 hours a week this summer paid, plus my internship.....

My point is that I think it is wrong to be charged nearly 900 dollars to simply register my intenship with the Universtiy. My only contact with the University is turning in a 5 page paper in the end via e-mail. I think they are taking advantage of a situation.

Pitt Gorilla
05-05-2007, 01:06 AM
It isn't about the money... I work 20+ hours a week during school and I will work 30 hours a week this summer paid, plus my internship.....

My point is that I think it is wrong to be charged nearly 900 dollars to simply register my intenship with the Universtiy. My only contact with the University is turning in a 5 page paper in the end via e-mail. I think they are taking advantage of a situation.Don't take it for credit, then. This isn't difficult.

Miles
05-05-2007, 01:27 AM

My point is that I think it is wrong to be charged nearly 900 dollars to simply register my intenship with the Universtiy. My only contact with the University is turning in a 5 page paper in the end via e-mail. I think they are taking advantage of a situation.

I don't really see what your problem is. You are gaining a benefit from this as well. They are granting you three credit hours in exactly the same way as if you were to take any other class during the summer. Your professor is essentially certifying that you completed what you were supposed to and giving you credit for it while you get to claim the work experience on your resume.

Braincase
05-05-2007, 06:47 AM
Congrats on going to a Big 10 school...

My wife got her Bachelors and Masters @ Iowa... but then again she got hers covered 100% by academic scholarships. Biomechanical Engineering... 3.97 cumulative...

PunkinDrublic
05-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Well your fellow conservatives would tell you to quit whining and pull yourself up by your own bootstraps. :p

Simplex3
05-05-2007, 07:47 AM
Earth to college students:

You will never again get credit for doing free idealogical work.

Infidel Goat
05-05-2007, 08:25 AM

Your professor is on salary. Professors don't get extra money for grading an independent study course during the school year; if they teach an actual course during summer school, they do typically get some extra money. He's very likely not seeing a dime extra for reading your paper.

The irony, as I see it, is a republican bitching about the cost of higher education that has already been subsidized by the state (read: my taxes).

I swear. I might have to ask for a refund.