PDA

View Full Version : Another Quinn Tidbit, For What It's Worth

KCGridironBeast
05-03-2007, 07:16 PM
I'm a student at USC and I'm in a sports related class this semester. A few weeks ago, Bill Rees, the director of player personnel for the Cleveland Browns, came in and talked to our class about what he does and sports business in general. He briefly discussed the Browns possible draft choices, but obviously didn't go into much detail. However, my professor said yesterday before our final that he talked with Rees a few days after the draft and Rees acknowledged that the Browns paid a high price for Quinn and that, according to Rees, he later talked with a "draft rep from the Chiefs" who said that if the Browns had talked to the Chiefs, they could have traded into the Chiefs' spot at 23 for less than they gave up to Dallas.

I know it sounds like one of those "friends of my girlfriend's cousin's uncle," but it's legit. Any thoughts on this? Apparently it sounds as if the Chiefs were definitely considering not drafting Quinn but rather wanted to capitalize on the potential to gain draft picks.

I apologize if this is old news or irrelevant, I haven't been checking the Planet lately.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-03-2007, 07:17 PM
I feel tons better now. :Lin:

noa
05-03-2007, 07:20 PM
We definitely wanted to stockpile on picks, so I wouldn't be surprised to find out this was true. Still, you never know if we would have even had the opportunity. If the Browns had decided to deal with us instead of the Cowboys, maybe the Ravens would have swooped in and pulled off a trade with Dallas to get Quinn instead.

hawkchief
05-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Carl would have fugged it up anyway. No matter.

Halfcan
05-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Browns are dumbasses!!

pikesome
05-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Browns are dumbasses!!

QFMFT

Rausch
05-03-2007, 08:37 PM
However, my professor said yesterday before our final that he talked with Rees a few days after the draft and Rees acknowledged that the Browns paid a high price for Quinn and that, according to Rees, he later talked with a "draft rep from the Chiefs" who said that if the Browns had talked to the Chiefs, they could have traded into the Chiefs' spot at 23 for less than they gave up to Dallas.

And I could have dated the prom queen. You know, if I wanted to...

Apparently it sounds as if the Chiefs were definitely considering not drafting Quinn but rather wanted to capitalize on the potential to gain draft picks.

Thank God. Sound draft day reasoning for a change.

tk13
05-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Really, it would've made sense. No we might not have got as good of a deal as Dallas did, but we could've undercut them and asked for a 2nd rounder next year, at least we would've gotten something that was a good deal for us.

Mile High Mania
05-03-2007, 08:42 PM
I posted a thread on this comment already, but Quinn was on Mike & Mike (ESPN Radio) after the draft. Quinn said that while Dallas was on the clock, he received a call from the Ravens... Quinn was told that he was going to be drafted by the Ravens if Dallas doesn't take you. Baltimore apparently had a trade worked out with KC for that pick after Dallas.

Quinn hung up the phone, then the CLE/DAL trade is announced...

Rausch
05-03-2007, 08:44 PM
I posted a thread on this comment already, but Quinn was on Mike & Mike (ESPN Radio) after the draft. Quinn said that while Dallas was on the clock, he received a call from the Ravens... Quinn was told that he was going to be drafted by the Ravens if Dallas doesn't take you. Baltimore apparently had a trade worked out with KC for that pick after Dallas.

Quinn hung up the phone, then the CLE/DAL trade is announced...

Bull$3it.

Somehow the Chiefs blew it and Carl had the final say.

So says the lexicon...

Logical
05-03-2007, 08:57 PM
In the end the Chiefs are the products of no luck at all once again.

keg in kc
05-03-2007, 08:59 PM
I heard somewhere else (I don't remember where) that Cleveland made an offer to us prior to their deal with Dallas, but it wasn't nearly in the same ballpark, something like a second/5th/6th.

And I do believe I heard Carl confirm that Cleveland had made us an offer, but it wasn't a good one, and that we'd have taken the one they gave Dallas in a heartbeat.

Mecca
05-03-2007, 09:00 PM
I heard somewhere else (I don't remember where) that Cleveland made an offer to us prior to their deal with Dallas, but it wasn't nearly in the same ballpark, something like a second/5th/6th.

They wouldn't offer us the 1st, Herm even said so, they were unwilling to make the trade they made with Dallas with an AFC team.

carlos3652
05-04-2007, 12:06 AM
They wouldn't offer us the 1st, Herm even said so, they were unwilling to make the trade they made with Dallas with an AFC team.

I know, someone asked for a link in the other thread (MHM thread) of where the Browns said they wouldnt give up a #1 to an AFC team...

Glad im not the only one that remembered....

Phobia
05-04-2007, 12:12 AM
And I could have dated the prom queen. You know, if I wanted to...

Heh. I dated 3 prom queens. All attended my high school, all were older - did not date the prom queen from my class, did not have any desire to do so.

It was kinda strange how all that worked out. I didn't have a lot of girlfriends in high school and I certainly wasn't a heart-throb. I just happened to be on the school newspaper with the gal one year older, ran track with the girl two years older, and worked with the one three years older.

Tribal Warfare
05-04-2007, 12:16 AM
if KC traded down to Cleveland then they were definitely zeroing on Eric Wright

Consistent1
05-04-2007, 05:37 AM

Eazy E did a long time ago bro.

King_Chief_Fan
05-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Let's see :hmmm:
Jones vs. Peteson :hmmm:

Yup, Carl would have taken less :shake:

htismaqe
05-04-2007, 07:53 AM

They would have taken McBride. It's only been mentioned a dozen or more times that the Chiefs stated publically that they thought about trading up for McBride.

They weren't going to take Wright.

Chiefnj
05-04-2007, 08:01 AM
I wish I still had a link, but there was an interview with Savage where he said KC wanted a 2, 3 and 5 this year. The Browns wanted one more first day pick this year so they preferred to give up a 1st next year and work out a deal where they got the pick right before KC.

Chiefnj
05-04-2007, 08:02 AM
They would have taken McBride. It's only been mentioned a dozen or more times that the Chiefs stated publically that they thought about trading up for McBride.

They weren't going to take Wright.

Trading up for McBride would have been classic 2nd round KC move.