PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment Weekly: Matrix, new BSG named top sci-fi movie/tv of the last 25 years

keg in kc
05-04-2007, 03:19 AM
Matrix, Battlestar Top EW List (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=41343)

Entertainment Weekly named The Matrix as number one on its list of the top 25 science fiction movies or TV shows of the past 25 years, followed closely by SCI FI Channel's original series Battlestar Galactica. The issue hits newsstands on May 7.

Other titles on the list include 1982's Blade Runner, Fox's The X-Files and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

Rounding out the top 10: Brazil, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Aliens and John Carpenter's remake of The Thing.

The magazine will feature covers with images of cast members from NBC's hit series Heroes, which ranked number 18. (NBC is owned by NBC Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM and SCI FI Channel.)

Easy 6
05-04-2007, 04:07 AM
I would have a hard time arguing against the Matrix over the last 25, it really is a fantastic flic. The rest of'em were disappointing IMO.

Silock
05-04-2007, 05:10 AM
Can't argue with that.

Miles
05-04-2007, 05:36 AM
I defiantly feel that Blade Runner should be at the top. Probably followed by Aliens but to each his own.

Demonpenz
05-04-2007, 06:44 AM
no star wars?

pikesome
05-04-2007, 06:48 AM
no star wars?

It's the movie equivalent of of watching a HOF player play out the last 2-3 years of his career as a old and slow has-been. The 2nd trilogy really tarnished the mythical greatness that was Star Wars.

Braincase
05-04-2007, 07:21 AM
no star wars?

Star Wars is a space opera, not science fiction. You could put the Star Wars story in any era, as the story is not dependent upon the science. The Matrix however cannot exist without the science.

Demonpenz
05-04-2007, 07:22 AM
Star Wars is a space opera, not science fiction. You could put the Star Wars story in any era, as the story is not dependent upon the science. The Matrix however cannot exist without the science.

oh there's plenty of science of shooting wompa rats

kepp
05-04-2007, 07:35 AM
I defiantly feel that Blade Runner should be at the top. Probably followed by Aliens but to each his own.
I agree. Blade Runner is up there.

Deberg_1990
05-04-2007, 08:08 AM

Yea, i probably would have put Blade Runner and Aliens right at the top as well. But I have no qualms about the original Matrix being there either. They should all be top 5. Terminator 1 and 2 should be in there as well.

Back to the Future
E.T.

should also get some consideration...

Braincase
05-04-2007, 08:13 AM
I agree. Blade Runner is up there.

Blade Runner belongs, just barely - came out in 1982. Alien came out in '79, so it's outside the 25 year window.

Deberg_1990
05-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Blade Runner belongs, just barely - came out in 1982. Alien came out in '79, so it's outside the 25 year window.

Aliens, not Alien. James Camerons classic sequel. Came out in 86

Deberg_1990
05-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Another couple of flicks id put on the list are:

Galaxy Quest: Great little Sc-Fi comedy thats serves as a better "Star Trek" flick than most "Star Trek" flicks. Mocks and loves "Star Trek" at the same time.

Contact: Some people hate this movie, but i love it. Really well made flick that takes science seriously.

Sure-Oz
05-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Definetly shouldve stopped with the first matrix

Brock
05-04-2007, 08:31 AM

Yeah, great movie, but they ruined the whole thing.

Deberg_1990
05-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Yeah, great movie, but they ruined the whole thing.

Agreed. The sequels had some cool action scenes and visuals....but thats about it.

Wrasse
05-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Agreed. The sequels had some cool action scenes and visuals....but thats about it.
There were no sequels to the Matrix.

** puts fingers in ears **

Lalalalalalalala

FringeNC
05-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Hard to argue with those choices...

I think Dark City should be in the mix, though.

Frazod
05-04-2007, 09:02 AM
I would BARELY give the edge to Blade Runner over the Matrix, but regardless of which one you pick at 1 or 2, there's a vast space between them and No. 3.

And agree completely with Battlestar Galactica over anything else, although I'm a bit surprised there was no love for Babylon 5.

Adept Havelock
05-04-2007, 09:29 AM
I'd give the edge to Blade Runner over Matrix, but not by much.

I would also agree with BSG, though the last season wasn't nearly as strong as the first two. Hopefully it all gets wrapped up well in the last one.

pikesome
05-04-2007, 09:38 AM
I'd give the edge to Blade Runner over Matrix, but not by much.

I would also agree with BSG, though the last season wasn't nearly as strong as the first two. Hopefully it all gets wrapped up well in the last one.

I'd go Blade Runner also, the sci-fi in The Matrix wasn't an integral part of the story. You could have stripped it all away and their would still be freedom fighters against oppressive overlords and a Messiah to lead them. It was still a great sci-fi movie though. The science in Blade Runner was critical to the story and the underlying point. What is life? At what point do manufactured beings take their place with us as equals? It also dwelt on the feelings one would have if you knew that your demise was preordained and arbitrary. It's also hard to vote against a movie with Ford and Hauer both doing some of their best work.

Deberg_1990
05-04-2007, 09:43 AM
No love for TRON???

siberian khatru
05-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Contact: Some people hate this movie, but i love it. Really well made flick that takes science seriously.

Agreed.

I'm also a huge fan of "Gattaca." I think that and "Contact" are two of the most intelligent sci-fi films.

pikesome
05-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Agreed.

I'm also a huge fan of "Gattaca." I think that and "Contact" are two of the most intelligent sci-fi films.

Second on Gattaca, very smart, very cerebral and still very entertaining. The acting was worlds better than average for a sci-fi movie.

Deberg_1990
05-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Agreed.

Im going to have to check "Gattaca" out someday. Im almost ashamed to say ive never seen it.

Another good one i liked was "Equalibrium" Not alot of people have heard of it, but its really good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0238380/

Frazod
05-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Im going to have to check "Gattaca" out someday. Im almost ashamed to say ive never seen it.

Another good one i liked was "Equalibrium" Not alot of people have heard it of, but its really good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0238380/

Gattaca is excellent. You should see it.

And I've pimped Equalibrium here on a couple of different occasions. While it isn't terribly original (sort of a Logan's Run meets 1984 meets Matrix) it is very well made and features excellent performances.

Deberg_1990
05-04-2007, 10:41 AM

And I've pimped Equalibrium here on a couple of different occasions. While it isn't terribly original (sort of a Logan's Run meets 1984 meets Matrix) it is very well made and features excellent performances.

Thanks...yea, ill have to check it out. Another one you may like Frazod is "Donnie Darko" LOL

pikesome
05-04-2007, 10:44 AM
While it's not the GOAT, Colossus, The Forbin Project (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064177/) is one of my favorite movies. Very well thought out and written plot, especially considering the date the movie was released. Don't let it's age scare you off.

siberian khatru
05-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Second on Gattaca, very smart, very cerebral and still very entertaining. The acting was worlds better than average for a sci-fi movie.

That was the first time I saw Jude Law, and I was blown away by his performance.

siberian khatru
05-04-2007, 10:52 AM

I stumbled across that late one night on cable and prepared for the worst, but I was pleasantly surprised. It really grew on me as I watched it.

siberian khatru
05-04-2007, 10:53 AM
While it's not the GOAT, Colossus, The Forbin Project (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064177/) is one of my favorite movies. Very well thought out and written plot, especially considering the date the movie was released. Don't let it's age scare you off.

I LOVE that movie. I saw it as a kid on TV in the early '70s. I recently looked into buying it on DVD. I want my oldest son to watch it. I think he'd like it.

Braincase
05-04-2007, 11:20 AM
There have been some good sci-fi ideas, although sometimes the execution has been flawed (thank you Mr. Governor).

Total Recall - great concept, marginal execution.

Demolition Man - another great concept that was poorly executed.

6th Day had some of the best sci-fi concepts.

Minority Report - pretty well done, even if it was Scientology Jesus.

The Franchise
05-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Hard to argue with those choices...

I think Dark City should be in the mix, though.

rep for Dark City....

Sure-Oz
05-04-2007, 11:34 AM
How could Masters of the Universe not be on this list!!!!11one

With the all star cast of the bald dude from top gun, courtney cox, dolph lundgren and the midget wizard from willow!!

Adept Havelock
05-04-2007, 11:36 AM

A fantastic film. I was thrilled when a decent DVD release was made and I could drop my homemade version. The novel and it's two sequels were interesting as well, though the last one was the weakest of the lot.

I can't believe no one has mentioned "Dark Star", "The Ice Pirates", or "Battle Beyond the Stars" yet.

:p

Deberg_1990
05-04-2007, 11:37 AM
How could Masters of the Universe not be on this list!!!!11one

With the all star cast of the bald dude from top gun, courtney cox, dolph lundgren and the midget wizard from willow!!

hahaha..horrible flick. I do like Willow though. Underrated flick.

Jenson71
05-04-2007, 12:09 PM
I wonder if Children of Men will be included. I really liked that one, but I think it can be argued if it's a sci-fi or not.

And Gattaca was a great movie, I will second that recommendation.

I haven't seen Blade Runner or Brazil (I know, I know, De Niro) but will soon.

pikesome
05-04-2007, 12:13 PM
"The Ice Pirates"

Thread over, "Ice Prirates" ROFL

What was that?

It was a space herpe.

A what?

Space herpe.

That's disgusting!

How long have you known about this?

- It's the first we've heard of it.
- A couple of days.

- A couple of days.
- It's the first we've heard of it.

Deberg_1990
05-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Thread over, "Ice Prirates" ROFL

Oh well heck, we might as well throw "Spaceballs" into the mix then..

pikesome
05-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Oh well heck, we might as well throw "Spaceballs" into the mix then..

Nothing is quite the mix of god awful, cover-your-eyes bad and fun, campy comedy that was Ice Pirates. Besides, it has Robert Urich, that seals it right there. Spaceballs is a classic Mel Brooks movie, I'd say his 2nd or third best (after Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles).

chappy
05-04-2007, 12:29 PM
SHORT CIRCUIT

Sure-Oz
05-04-2007, 12:29 PM
I bought ice pirates cause of how cheesy it was, still havent watched it....

FishingRod
05-04-2007, 12:38 PM
did anyone else like Babylon 5 when it was on?

Adept Havelock
05-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Besides, Ice Pirates was one of the very few Sci-Fi films to ever address economic issues.

That, and the "Chompers" scene. ROFL

Frazod
05-04-2007, 01:29 PM

For the most part, I loved it. The first season was lame and the last season was tired. But in between, it rivaled Star Trek Next Generation as best sci-fi show on TV.

htismaqe
05-04-2007, 01:30 PM
What the hell?

Where is "Battlefield Earth"?

Travolta, Whitaker, AND subtitles...

htismaqe
05-04-2007, 01:31 PM
"Tales from a Parallel Universe" was the greatest sci-fi ever made...

keg in kc
05-04-2007, 01:41 PM
no star wars?Star Wars was '77. Empire Strikes back was '80. So neither fits in the 25 year span.

I don't know if Return of the Jedi is on the list or not.

05-04-2007, 01:50 PM
No love for TRON???
That is beyond 25 years old.

Frazod
05-04-2007, 01:52 PM
That is beyond 25 years old.

It came out in '82, IIRC - about the same time as Blade Runner, when I was in high school. It should barely make the cut-off.

Adept Havelock
05-04-2007, 02:02 PM
It doesn't fit the cut-off, but what about "The Black Hole" with it's psuedo-2001 ending sequence?

ROBOTS IN HELL!! ROFL

Easy 6
05-04-2007, 02:42 PM

That is a great movie, like you say its reminiscent of some other films in many ways, but Christian Bale can carry any kind of flic.

"The Bruce" from Braveheart makes a very convincing heavy as well.

Adept Havelock
05-04-2007, 02:48 PM
That is a great movie, like you say its reminiscent of some other films in many ways, but Christian Bale can carry any kind of flic.

I'd have to add one exception: Reign of Fire. No one could have saved that POS.

Easy 6
05-04-2007, 02:54 PM
I'd have to add one exception: Reign of Fire. No one could have saved that POS.

Heh, i thought Bale was solid, it was McConnahee-hee with his ham fisted, broad strokes charicature that stunk it up.

But overall, yeah that movie should win a "Razzy"

pikesome
05-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Heh, i thought Bale was solid, it was McConnahee-hee with his ham fisted, broad strokes charicature that stunk it up.

But overall, yeah that movie should win a "Razzy"

I kind of enjoyed McConaughey's character but yea, it wasn't that good of a movie.

Valiant
05-04-2007, 04:05 PM

Yeah thats because the brothers stole that movie script, and got sued and lost if I remember correctly.. The other two movies were actually their scripts... Can you tell the difference? :)

Valiant
05-04-2007, 04:07 PM

Have all the boxsets... That and SG-1 boxsets, I netflix everything now though instead...