PDA

View Full Version : UFA DT McGlothin

el borracho
05-04-2007, 11:20 AM
I was just reading about our UFA DT, McGlothin. http://walterfootball.com/pro2007MCGLOTHLIN.php

In the article McGlothin states that, even though he was a 4-3 tackle in college, he would be best as a 3-4 tackle in the pros. He is just under six feet tall and just over 300 pounds so he isn't really a giant but he is really strong (37 reps at the combine), uses leverage well (threw Krumrie to the ground in the Krumrie test) and is seemingly intelligent (may pursue med-school after football). Anyway, I am wondering why he would project as a 3-4 NT when I had always thought that 3-4 NT needed to be giants.

Uncle_Ted
05-04-2007, 11:23 AM
I was just reading about our UFA DT, McGlothin. http://walterfootball.com/pro2007MCGLOTHLIN.php

In the article McGlothin states that, even though he was a 4-3 tackle in college, he would be best as a 3-4 tackle in the pros. He is just under six feet tall and just over 300 pounds so he isn't really a giant but he is really strong (37 reps at the combine), uses leverage well (threw Krumrie to the ground in the Krumrie test) and is seemingly intelligent (may pursue med-school after football). Anyway, I am wondering why he would project as a 3-4 NT when I had always thought that 3-4 NT needed to be giants.

That's funny ... I read a similar article a few days ago and thought the exact some thing!

Any "experts" care to help us out?

htismaqe
05-04-2007, 11:23 AM
If they're strong, they don't HAVE to be big.

el borracho
05-04-2007, 11:27 AM
OK, but why would he project as a NT instead of a 4-3 guy? All NFL defensive tackles have to be strong but I thought you needed more beef up front in a 3-4 to stop the run.

Direckshun
05-04-2007, 11:35 AM
NTs just need to be able to absorb lots of blockers, and that's what he does.

I'm really happy we were able to pick this guy up, but there's zero chance he makes this team. Practice squad at best. We're six-deep at DT, even if two of them are DT/DE hybrids.

El Jefe
05-04-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm really happy we were able to pick this guy up, but there's zero chance he makes this team. Practice squad at best. We're six-deep at DT, even if two of them are DT/DE hybrids.

I will have to agree with you on this point, we are loaded now on the D-Line, unless he can push someone out.

bdeg
05-04-2007, 11:47 AM
At under 6' but over 300 lbs this guy is built like a rock.

You know how players are supposed to keep their pads low so they can get good leverage? He may not deflect too many passes, but with his leverage he has the playing strength of a bigger DT.

Eric
05-04-2007, 12:44 PM
he knows 10 types of kungfu!

jAZ
05-04-2007, 12:51 PM
At under 6' but over 300 lbs this guy is ...
...Dan Saleaumua.

pikesome
05-04-2007, 12:54 PM
...Dan Saleaumua.

Raymond Daniel Saleaumua
Position: DE/DT/NT
Height: 6' 0'' Weight: 315
Born: 11/11/1964, in San Diego, CA, USA
High School: Sweetwater (National City, CA)
College: Arizona State

jAZ
05-04-2007, 01:07 PM
College: Arizona State
:cuss:

bigdreams1
05-04-2007, 01:11 PM
The guy is supposed to be pretty good. I think i could see him taking someone off of our line and getting a spot. Krumrie was extremely impressed with his heart and work effort. Hopefully he can take James Reed spot and turn into a great pickup.

Tribal Warfare
05-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Overview Matt McGlothlin isn't a household name, even in NFL scouting circles, despite playing at a top program that featured the likes of Justin Harrell and Turk McBride on the defensive line. McGlothlin was a reserve lineman who saw limited time in the DT rotation. Unfortunately, he is more of a 3-4 NT prospect, but Tennessee ran a 4-3 defensive scheme.

Strengths McGlothlin is as strong as they come, and is surprisingly quick for a man his size. At the UT pro day, McGlothlin overpowered Chiefs DL Coach Tim Krumrie (the same man who exposed Alan Branch at the Michigan pro day) during position drills. McGlothlin holds black belts in 4 different styles of martial arts (karate, ju-jitsu, hapkido, and Brazilian). He earned a black belt in Brazilian in 2.5 years when it normally takes 10 years. McGlothlin brings an intensity to practices and games and helps fire up those around him.

Weaknesses Lack of production and the inability to earn more playing time on the UT defensive line is a bit disconcerting. McGlothlin is still considered a project at this point, but is already 24 years old.

Projection His performance at the UT pro day means that some team will sign him following the draft (or even throw a 7th round pick at him). He's a project though, and might just be a guy to bring into camp to push the others some.

Eric
05-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Why do you need to know 4 types of martial arts when your 300 pounds?

Easy 6
05-04-2007, 03:07 PM
At under 6' but over 300 lbs this guy is built like a rock.

You know how players are supposed to keep their pads low so they can get good leverage? He may not deflect too many passes, but with his leverage he has the playing strength of a bigger DT.

Thats exactly it, with that squat build this guy must be VERY hard to take off his feet or push back.

He could be a 3rd & short & goal line demon right away.

I hope he has more than a fireplug build though.

Iowanian
05-04-2007, 06:11 PM
McGlothin Could kick Chuck Norris' ass while using Rich Scanlon for his pony.

pikesome
05-04-2007, 06:36 PM
McGlothin Could kick Chuck Norris' ass while using Rich Scanlon for his pony.

Is McGlothin the new Scanlon?

Brando
05-04-2007, 07:26 PM

Maybe he kills the buffalo with his hands before he eats it...in one sitting.

He once challenged Lance Armstrong to a contest to see who had more testicles and won by three.

Direckshun
05-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Neg rep.

There is no new Scanlon. There is only Scanlon.

Tribal Warfare
05-04-2007, 07:39 PM

technique builders, martial arts are all about balance and making your opponent off balance that's where his hapikdo and ju jitsu training comes in.

pikesome
05-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Matt McGlothlin does not sleep. He waits.
The chief export of Matt McGlothlin is pain.
If you can see Matt McGlothlin, he can see you. If you can't see Matt McGlothlin, you may be only seconds away from death.
Matt McGlothlin has two speeds. Walk, and Kill.
The leading causes of death in the United States are: 1. Heart Disease 2. Matt McGlothlin 3. Cancer
Matt McGlothlin drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls.
Matt McGlothlin doesn't go hunting.... MATT MCGLOTHlIN GOES KILLING
Matt McGlothlin counted to infinity - twice.
Matt McGlothlin is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head.
Matt McGlothlin’s hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.
Matt McGlothlin doesn’t wear a watch, HE decides what time it is.
Contrary to popular belief, America is not a democracy, it is a Mattatorship.

Coach
05-04-2007, 07:52 PM
McGlothin eh?

I thought it was McGlockton.

Iowanian
05-04-2007, 09:26 PM

I declare it.

McGlothin deficates little baby Bruce Lee's that don't get flushed, they sidekick their way down the drain.