PDA

View Full Version : Warren Sapp slimming up

Hammock Parties
05-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Sapp's down to 285

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2349/050407sapp1wp0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Warren Sapp would not go into specifics when asked about what appeared to be a startling weight loss following Friday's first practice.

If Sapp wanted it kept private, nobody told Lane Kiffin, who informed the media that Sapp had lost 49 pounds, making the Raiders defensive tackle only slightly bigger than their new quarterback.

Asked about Sapp's weight, Kiffin said, "He was 285. He was 334 I think last year. I was not here, but I think that's what the books say. We're very excited about that."

It may be the lightest Sapp has been in his professional career. Kiffin said he can't remember Sapp being that light in Tampa Bay when his father was defensive coordinator.

"He looks fast out there. He's flying around," Kiffin said.

Is it possible Sapp has lost too much weight and will have trouble holding up?

"I don't know," Kiffin said. "We'll see."

Friday afternoon news and notes:

– Quarterback JaMarcus Russell had some trouble throwing into the wind in the morning workout and fumbled more snaps than he would like _ at least three _ but seemed relatively pleased with his first day as a professional.

"I did pretty good for the first day," Russell said. "Kind of reminded me of my first year in college. Get the hang of it and everything will be OK."

On one throw in the first practice, he hit Johnathan Holland on a medium range throw which split three defenders _ a window seemingly not much bigger than the football itself.

"You got to know when it's time to get it there," Russell said. "That was one of those times."

Kiffin said he talked with Russell Thursday night to calm the rookies nerves.

“He was a little bit nervous. He didn’t have any questions, really. He was just sitting there listening. (I was) Just helping him through it, like we have to do with all our rookies," Kiffin said. "This is a big change for him. Obviously for him, he had all this pressure on him, everybody looking at him. I told him, ‘Just go out tomorrow, you’re not winning the Super Bowl. Just go out and have fun and lead a couple passes for us.’'

– Russell said his choice of No. 2 was because it was the number he had in high school. He originally wore No. 4 at LSU because No. 2 was already taken, and switched when it became available.

Why No. 4?

Believe it or not, it's because he weighed four pounds as a baby.

"I was born in August and I was supposed to be born in September," Russell said.

Kiffin said he thinks Russell will be less jittery today.

– A must-see for training camp in Napa will be watching the offensive line. Line coach Tom Cable is a growling, demanding taskmaster who isn't shy about using blue language to get his point across.

"I like it. Reminds me of coach Callahan," right tackle Barry Sims said.

– Wide receiver Jonathan Holland got tangled with defensive back Chris Carr on a deep pass during a drill and suffered a shoulder injury. Kiffin said the shoulder had to be popped back into place.

– After some strong moments in the first practice, Mike Williams missed the second workout with a hamstring injury. Williams was walking slowly and with a noticeable limp, but Kiffin said it was not serious.

– Fullback Justin Griffith did not practice after having "work done" on his ankle in the offseason, Kiffin said. Running back Justin Fargas and center Jeremy Newberry were also out.

– As was the case in the Jon Gruden-Bill Callahan years, plays were run at a pace far beyond the more deliberate practices orchestrated by the Shell regime. Tight end Zach Miller said at times it tough to catch his breath.

Receivers who fell to the ground without being touched and didn't immediately leap to their feet and keep running were strenly rebuked, and backs were urged to finish runs deep into the secondary or all the way to the end zone.

Undrafted rookie free agent Chris McFoy made one catch, fell the ground, and perhaps flashing back to the college rule, did not get up immediately.

– Quarterback Andrew Walter, picked two times the morning session, was intercepted by Duane Starks in the afternoon.

– Darnell Bing said his move to safety began with his own request to move to his college position. Kiffin wouldn't say who made the final call.

"We just talked as a staff and thought his best shot at making the team was to put himi back at safety, where he's more comfortable and played his whole career until last year," Kiffin said.

boogblaster
05-04-2007, 10:49 PM
The ole-fart can still play ...

Direckshun
05-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Guy's still an elite DT, probably HOFer.

noa
05-05-2007, 12:02 AM
Another victim of Dan Marino's incessant peddling of Nutrisystem.

Deberg_1990
05-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Just a wild guess...but he probably ate less food....

Smed1065
05-05-2007, 12:15 AM
No, he is a faider. Smoking crack does that to you in a hurry.

Maybe he was pissed because he did not become a Chief?

Figures.

kcxiv
05-05-2007, 12:22 AM
Yep, i so wanted him to sign in KC, but that didnt happen. He's going to have another good season. HOF'er

luv
05-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Just a wild guess...but he probably ate less food....
1000 calories per day works for me!

Mr. Flopnuts
05-05-2007, 12:29 AM
1000 calories per day works for me!

WTF do you eat? Saltines?

kcxiv
05-05-2007, 12:31 AM
and cambells soup.

L.A. Chieffan
05-05-2007, 12:32 AM
Is this dude doing meth or what? I havent since him this skinny since since since ever.

ChiefaRoo
05-05-2007, 12:34 AM
He looks like his helmet is going fall down over his eyes.

luv
05-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Smart Ones meals, Special K cereal bars, yogurt, water with Crystal Light....

That's about it during the week. I splurge on the weekends. Maybe 1500 calories.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-05-2007, 12:36 AM
Smart Ones meals, Special K cereal bars, yogurt, water with Crystal Light....

That's about it during the week. I splurge on the weekends. Maybe 1500 calories.

At least you're still eating. Hungry frequently I'm sure, but it sounds like you're getting 3 meals. Albeit just barely.

kcxiv
05-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Your always hungry on diets, thats the crappy part.

luv
05-05-2007, 12:45 AM
At least you're still eating. Hungry frequently I'm sure, but it sounds like you're getting 3 meals. Albeit just barely.
You get used to feeling hungry. Eventually, it goes away.

kcxiv
05-05-2007, 12:48 AM
Shit never goes away. I just lost hell of weight, it not once went away. I did it for my health becuase i "HAD" to.

L.A. Chieffan
05-05-2007, 12:50 AM
Dodgers sucked balls today kcxiv. Beatameat and Martinez made me wanna puke.

luv
05-05-2007, 12:51 AM
Shit never goes away. I just lost hell of weight, it not once went away. I did it for my health becuase i "HAD" to.
36 lbs gone! about 30 to go. I'm starting to look good!

kcxiv
05-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Dodgers sucked balls today kcxiv. Beatameat and Martinez made me wanna puke.
I was watching it, Worthless Wilson needs to be cut. He's worthless, 3 strike outs? he wasnt even close to hitting anything today. Pierre supposed to have a good glove, he has sucked ass all freaking year. Thats what you get when you sign a ****ing frenchy . lol

kcxiv
05-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Thats great hun. :) its alot of hard work, but the real hard work is keeping it off. Thats the bitch. I know you get hungry, i did too. haha Just gotta tell yourself NOOOOOOO. lol

Mr. Flopnuts
05-05-2007, 01:01 AM

The pictures from the BBQ confirm that. Good for you!!!!

Tribal Warfare
05-05-2007, 01:46 AM

I concur, but 285!!!!!!! When he entered the legue he was an even 300 pounds, are they planning to use him at DE position?

Deberg_1990
05-05-2007, 01:53 AM
I havent since him this skinny since since since ever.

Dude was probably born heavier than that.....amazing....