PDA

View Full Version : POSNANSKI - Priest still hard to catch

Hammock Parties
05-06-2007, 06:04 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/180/story/96140.html

OE POSNANSKI
COMMENTARY

Priest still hard to catch

Is he coming back or not? Elusive Chiefs great says he doesn’t know.

WACO, Texas | Here in the Texas Sports Hall of Fame you see that the Lone Star State isn’t a state of cowboys. It’s a state of runners. Everywhere you look in this hall there’s another display featuring another amazing Texas running back who tore away from defenders or sprinted around them or blasted through them. There’s a picture of Earl Campbell, the Tyler Rose, who did a little bit of all three.

There’s a display for Eric Dickerson, a big back from a little Texas town called Sealy, who used to run so effortlessly that coaches would scream at him to run harder. “Coach, I’m going as fast as I can,” Dickerson would tell them. “If you don’t believe me, have someone try and catch me.”

There are photos of little Texas backs like Greg Pruitt and Joe Washington, who would spin away, and big Texas backs like Ricky Williams and Billy Sims, who would slam in helmet-first, and pass-catching backs like Thurman Thomas. There’s a whole display for the first great Texas runner, Doak Walker, who electrified the entire state, who would slip in and out, swerve back and forth, disappear and reappear like a ghost.

And speaking of running ghosts: One walks in.

“Are you coming back?” people ask the ghost.

“I don’t know,” Priest Holmes says. “I really don’t know.”

Priest Holmes just disappeared on that day 18 months ago when San Diego linebacker Shawne Merriman’s helmet cracked his own. That was weird. One day he was the best running back in the NFL and the singular sports star in Kansas City. The next day, he was gone. No retirement announcement. No public appearances. No explanation of the injury. No discussion of the future. No nothing. He was just gone.

Friends say they haven’t talked to Holmes in months. Teammates gripe that Priest changed his cell number more often than most people change socks. And Kansas City Chiefs fans have moved on to the next guy, Larry Johnson, who carried the ball more times in 2006 than any running back in the history of the league. That’s the NFL.

“If there’s one thing every athlete needs to know,” Holmes says, “it’s that you not only can be replaced. You will be replaced.”

Holmes laughs. He wears a white shirt with two metal crosses on it. He looks a bit thicker than he did in his prime, but not much thicker. His trainer, Bay Bay McClinton, says Holmes needs only two months of hard training to get back into football shape. But Holmes doesn’t show up to see Bay Bay. He just doesn’t know yet.

“I’ve come back from a lot of injuries,” Holmes says. “I came back from two ACLs. I came back from the hip injury. But this is different.”

Different. In training camp 2005, Holmes took a hit, and he felt his whole body tingle a bit. The sensation only lasted for a little while, but it was uncomfortable — Holmes felt as if he had lost his sense of touch. In the second game of that season, he took a hit in Oakland and felt it again — only more, a prickling sensation rang through his whole body. He felt like a giant funny bone. Again, he ignored it and played the rest of the game.

“To be honest with you,” he says now, “I didn’t even feel the hits after that.”

A few weeks later, Merriman clocked him while he was being held up. His next memory is looking up at his friend and teammate Tony Richardson. He was on the sideline.

“I’m ready to go back in,” Holmes remembers saying.

“Go in?” Richardson said. “You’ve been out for 30 minutes.”

Doctors told him to rest. Holmes went in frantic search of second opinions, third opinions. He says that while everyone was busy speculating how he felt, the truth was Holmes did not even know how he felt. Was he finished? Was he endangering his health if he came back? What would happen if he didn’t come back?

He went home to San Antonio. He didn’t go into hiding, not exactly. He showed up for all his sons’ pee-wee football games. He sat in the stands at some of the big Texas track meets — “I’ve always loved to be around track,” he says. For the first time since he was a child, he appeared at family functions. But after a while, he found that no matter where he went, people asked him the same question: “Are you coming back, Priest?”

He didn’t know the answer. So he disappeared.

“I’m a private guy,” he says. “If you give me the chance, I’ll slip right by you.”

•••

Priest Holmes has stopped going to San Antonio Spurs games, even though he loves his Spurs. In this case, it isn’t about privacy. It’s about adrenaline. Something riles up inside Holmes whenever he’s around the Spurs, the intensity, the athleticism, the crowds. He went to a preseason game last year, and by halftime he found himself out in the parking lot, running sprints between cars.

“I had to see if I still had that explosion,” he says.

Did you?

“Yes.”

Did you go back into the basketball game?

“No. It hurt too much.”

Holmes says he simply cannot be around professional sports right now, even basketball. The flame still burns hot inside him. And let’s be honest, it was that flame that made Priest Holmes a unique athlete. He isn’t big, and he isn’t fast, and he isn’t particularly strong. He was a backup in college. He was not drafted by any NFL team. Even when he signed a deal with Kansas City, he was viewed as a part-time guy, a third-down back.

Instead, he became a phenomenon. He led the NFL in rushing in 2001. In 2002, he was on pace to break just about every meaningful running back record going — most touchdowns, most yards from scrimmage, maybe even most rushing yards. He was pulled down awkwardly in the 14th game on his longest run of the season. He badly hurt his hip. Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson was so unsure of Holmes’ return, he drafted Larry Johnson.

The next year, 2003, Holmes scored 27 rushing touchdowns, an NFL record.

The next year, 2004, he was on pace to do even better, and he got hurt again. Then came 2005, the Merriman hit, the speculation, the questions, the uncertainty.

“I’d say 50 percent of my friends want me to come back,” Holmes says. “I had one friend say: ‘You know Priest, your whole life is about overcoming. Don’t run away from it. This is just another chance to overcome.’ And I think about that.

“And I’d say 50 percent of my friends say: ‘You don’t need to come back. You’ve proven everything already. You’re one of the great backs ever. You don’t need to risk getting seriously injured. You have nothing left to prove’ ”

There’s Priest Holmes in the middle — doubters to the right of him, cheerleaders to the left — and he doesn’t know what to do. Some days he’s plenty happy at home, away from the whirlpool and the ice bags, away from the linebackers who want to kill him. And other days he finds himself outside his home, measuring off 40 yards and timing himself.

“I still have a lot left in the tank,” he says. “How do you walk away when you’ve got a lot left in the tank?”

•••

Priest Holmes’ favorite doctor moment came earlier this year when one of his many doctors (he has doctors in Miami, Kansas City, San Antonio and California) looked him dead in the eye and told him it was time to quit or get off the pot. He didn’t use the word “quit,” of course, but the sentiment was the same. Holmes was amazed.

“I’m tired of seeing you in my office,” the doctor said. “It’s time for you to make a decision.”

“He’s right,” Holmes says. But what is the decision? Holmes says that doctors tell him there’s a slight risk if he comes back. How slight? It depends on which doctor you ask. One tells Holmes that another solid hit from the wrong angle could cause him to lose feeling for a long time, maybe even permanently. So that’s not slight at all. Another doctor tells him that now that he’s rested for 18 months, he is not in any danger.

A third says what Holmes suspects: Nobody really knows the risks for a neck and spinal injury like his.

“Look,” Holmes says, “football is a risk. It’s a dangerous game. Especially at the running back position. I understand that. It isn’t a matter of if you will get hit, but when and how hard. So I’ve played with risk before. I don’t have a problem with risk.

“But I’ve had former players — you know, they’re walking around with canes, they’re in great pain — and they’ve told me: ‘Priest, be sure.’ … It’s important. If I come back, I can’t look over my shoulder. I can’t worry about what might happen. I have to just go all out and run like I did when I was young. I have to be sure I can do that.”

While he talks, someone comes up and asks for his autograph. Holmes signs his name, his number (31) and then he writes “KC.”

“Are you coming back?” the man asks.

“I’m still making a decision,” Holmes says.

“I hope you do,” the man says. “I really enjoyed watching you run.”

As he walks away, Holmes smiles.

“I’ll bet he’s a fantasy football player,” Holmes says. “Those guys really want me to come back.”

•••

Priest Holmes is here in Waco because he’s being inducted into the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame. They have a lot of Halls of Fame in Texas — in this one building they have the Texas Sports Hall of Fame, the High School Football Hall, the High School Basketball Hall and the Texas Tennis Hall. Down the road is the Texas Rangers Hall of Fame. Not the baseball team. The real Texas Rangers.

Anyway, this is a special honor for Holmes because he knows how many great players — and especially great running backs — played high school football in Texas. His whole family joins him. He’s proud of how far he came; he began his football dreams while playing with his sister in the living room, with the two couches being end zones.

“The good thing,” he says, “is I have no regrets. I can’t look back and say, ‘Well, if I had just practiced a little harder.’ I practiced hard every day. I practiced like I played. I gave my all. That’s a good thing. No regrets.”

For a minute, he sounds like he’s going to retire. Then the conversation spins.

“How about Larry (Johnson) getting all those carries?” he asks. “He set the record, right for most carries, right? Well, he wanted the ball. To me, the best thing is for a team to have two running backs — one takes the pounding and the other scores the touchdowns. It looks like Larry can take the pounding. I’ll be happy to score the touchdowns.”

He smiles. He sounds like he’s coming back. The conversation spins again.

“People ask me about announcing,” he says. “I don’t know. I mean it sounds like fun. I think it would be fun. But I guess I don’t see myself that way yet. I still see myself lifting weights and being a football player.”

In the end, every great athlete goes through these feelings. They retire. They unretire. They hang on too long. They leave too soon. Priest Holmes is 33 years old, he hasn’t played football in a season and a half, he has an uncertain medical condition and plenty of money and an intense passion that will not quiet down. He also has an open door to the Kansas City Chiefs — Holmes says he will meet with Peterson in the next month.

“I would not be surprised by anything Priest Holmes does,” Peterson says. “He’s an amazing guy and an amazing football player. He hasn’t made any decisions, but I would not be surprised if he was playing in 2007.”

Most people would be very surprised. I ask Priest Holmes if he would be surprised to be playing in 2007. He shrugs. “Some people write me off,” he says. “But I’ve been written off all my life. Maybe this will just be the greatest comeback of all.

“I keep a close eye on the Chiefs, believe me. I’m really grateful that they have kept the door open for me. I’m so grateful. I love the Chiefs. I was watching close when they couldn’t run the ball in the playoff game. I think they needed to give Larry some help. I think I could have helped.”

One more time, it sounds like he’s coming back. But again it’s just a false alarm. It’s clear now: Priest Holmes honestly does not seem to know if he will come back.

So I ask him the question in a different way: Priest, if you never play another game, will you be able to walk away and feel satisfied with your career?

Holmes smiles and shakes his head.

“I’ll tell you what,” he says. “I’d really like at least one more game.”

the Talking Can
05-06-2007, 06:28 AM
there's more of a chance that redrum's mom will give up anal and ATM then Priest ever playing again...

the only thing that annoys me about this is that after dozens of interviews and articles over 18 months, not one describes the actual injury...

penchief
05-06-2007, 07:25 AM
The entire Trent Green episode has made me wish Priest would go away, too. The sooner we get the taste of all these Vermeil-era head games behind us, the better off this team will be. IMO.

mikey23545
05-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure if I want to see Priest come back because it reminds of some great times, or because I think he could help the team.

I'm not sure if I want to see him retire because I think he's got nothing left, or because I'm tired of his friggin' head games....

bringbackmarty
05-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Well if he can still block and catch, we need him.

trndobrd
05-06-2007, 08:03 AM
there's more of a chance that redrum's mom will give up anal and ATM then Priest ever playing again...

the only thing that annoys me about this is that after dozens of interviews and articles over 18 months, not one describes the actual injury...

I don't think his return is such a sure thing.

My guess is that no one is exactly sure what the injury is, other than some type of nerve damage. With all the different Dr.s he's been seeing and the wide range of prognosis, they probably don't know for sure.

I would like to see him come back for a season and give LJ some help, if only for his own well being. I would also like to see him float out of the backfield on a reverse to Kennison, then come back across the field and crack Merriman in the side of the knees.

el borracho
05-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Who?

siberian khatru
05-06-2007, 08:48 AM
Priest is a ghost, Priest is an enigma, blah, blah, blah ...

Deberg_1990
05-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Did JoPo have Priest's baby yet??

Seriously, he aint coming back. Get over it Jopo and quit writing these worthless stories. Thanks.

cdcox
05-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Notice that the two people least willing to close the door or Priest's career are PH and CP. Since the day the end of the 2005 season I knew PH was done, and that the only question was how the Chiefs would work out his contract. Apparently, the Chiefs have decided the cleanest way to work this out it just to leave open the possibility of his return long enough for PH to collect whatever settlement he and CP agreed to. Allows PH to collect his $ while Carl doen's have to look soft in negotiations with other players in similar situations. IMO.

Otter
05-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Someone please remind me why Priest Holmes coming back is even an issue.

Mecca
05-06-2007, 10:53 AM
This article should have said "Is Holmes coming back? No, move on"

nomad
05-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Please correct me if i'm wrong but, if Priest actually announces he is retired, he forfeits his contract and as long as he makes no official decision, he continues to get full pay...

I understand that if he retires due to medical he would likely get a cash settlement, albeit for pennies on the dollar.

The Chiefs should then be able to apply this towards this years salary cap and be done with it....?

Thig Lyfe
05-06-2007, 11:18 AM
14 posts and no nacho jokes?

RealSNR
05-06-2007, 11:19 AM
The drafting of Kolby Smith pretty much seals the deal. Priest won't be coming back.

Easy 6
05-06-2007, 11:19 AM
The entire Trent Green episode has made me wish Priest would go away, too. The sooner we get the taste of all these Vermeil-era head games behind us, the better off this team will be. IMO.

Exactly.

This story is a non-story.

kcxiv
05-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure if I want to see Priest come back because it reminds of some great times, or because I think he could help the team.

I'm not sure if I want to see him retire because I think he's got nothing left, or because I'm tired of his friggin' head games....
I dont see any head games. He answered truthfully, he doesnt know right now. I dont blame him. He has the desire to play he says. ITs a hard choice for someone that really loves the game.

kcxiv
05-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Who?
The best running back to ever wear a Chiefs uniform, thats who.

P.S i dont count Marcus Allen, he's a ****ing Raider.

htismaqe
05-06-2007, 02:57 PM
I dont see any head games. He answered truthfully, he doesnt know right now. I dont blame him. He has the desire to play he says. ITs a hard choice for someone that really loves the game.

It's even harder for someone who says he loves the game, but really just wants to make sure he gets all of his money.

CoMoChief
05-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Can he play LT?

Rain Man
05-06-2007, 02:59 PM
You people are all negative. Priest Holmes would make a perfect change-of-pace/third down/goal line back, and it would be a great fit for him, too. I'd love to see him come back.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-06-2007, 03:02 PM
You people are all negative. Priest Holmes would make a perfect change-of-pace/third down/goal line back, and it would be a great fit for him, too. I'd love to see him come back.

Yeah. Pretty much. We're already paying him anyway. I don't think he's anywhere near soft like Green or other Vermeil players. Maybe I'm wrong.......

kcxiv
05-06-2007, 03:10 PM
It's even harder for someone who says he loves the game, but really just wants to make sure he gets all of his money.
he's not going to get all his money, but i am sure he wants more of it. Who doesnt?

htismaqe
05-06-2007, 03:37 PM
he's not going to get all his money, but i am sure he wants more of it. Who doesnt?

I don't blame him at all.

Just saying it like it is - this isn't about playing. It's about money.

htismaqe
05-06-2007, 03:38 PM

Priest doesn't want to play.

sedated
05-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Just saying it like it is - this isn't about playing. It's about money.

on both sides.

Carl doesn't want to take the cap hit just yet.

I expect him to officially announce his retirement after June 1
(that works the same as being relaeased, right? half this year, half next?)

Direckshun
05-06-2007, 04:03 PM
No way LJ would be happy in a system where he takes the punishment while someone else gets the touchdowns.

And I don't think it'd be fair to LJ, either, nor would it be best for the team.

keg in kc
05-06-2007, 04:04 PM
(that works the same as being relaeased, right? half this year, half next?)Off the top of my head, I'm not sure it does work the same way. I think retirement may be a completely different process, and I think it might all apply to the cap this year regardless of when a player retires, but I'd have to do some looking to make sure. I may be 100% wrong about that.

shaneo69
05-06-2007, 08:27 PM
I hope Priest comes back.

There's no way LJ should be in the game blocking on 3rd and long.

htismaqe
05-06-2007, 08:32 PM
I hope Priest comes back.

There's no way LJ should be in the game blocking on 3rd and long.

We do need someone to block on 3rd and long. But it ain't gonna be Priest.

jlscorpio
05-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Priest is ****ing DONE. Get over it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-06-2007, 11:45 PM

I don't know if that's true. In light of the fact that he could become a quad at the next big hit around the corner, Priest doesn't think that playing is worth the risk, and I agree with him.

IMO, the guy earned every dollar of that contract.

Pants
05-06-2007, 11:48 PM
I don't know if that's true. In light of the fact that he could become a quad at the next big hit around the corner, Priest doesn't think that playing is worth the risk, and I agree with him.

QFT.

I'm sure he wants the money, who doesn't? But I also think he wants to play. He's just not sure if he's willing to risk his ****ing spine.

Phobia
05-07-2007, 10:00 AM

I dunno. Only if the Chiefs give him a nice injury settlement.

htismaqe
05-07-2007, 10:28 AM

According to those precious few people he's let into his inner circle, he's not really interested in playing anymore.

Direckshun
05-07-2007, 12:37 PM
He's two months away from getting back in shape?

Forget it. He's done. As if he wasn't already.

pikesome
05-07-2007, 12:45 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/REycCu49Vvk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/REycCu49Vvk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

crazycoffey
05-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Priest will play again........

.......this year........

StcChief
05-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Trade him with Green to Miami for 4th rounder then. :)

Easy 6
05-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Priest will play again........

.......this year........

Dont bogart that doob, pass it around man...

sportsman1
05-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Id love to see what hes got left or not. I feel very incomplete about the way he left. I loved watching him play, and hes one of my all time favorites. I'd love to see him come back if he dont though I think we need use Micheal Bennett more.

Direckshun
07-25-2007, 05:11 PM
The story seems prophetic, now.

Sure-Oz
07-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Dont bogart that doob, pass it around man...
apparently he passed it to priest. ROFL

the Talking Can
07-25-2007, 06:22 PM

ROFL

well well.....

DenverChief
10-18-2007, 05:57 AM

Seriously, he aint coming back. Get over it Jopo and quit writing these worthless stories. Thanks.

The drafting of Kolby Smith pretty much seals the deal. Priest won't be coming back.

Exactly.

on both sides.

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/85500/85630OTvs_w.jpg

WHERE YA AT BOYS?

the Talking Can
10-18-2007, 06:08 AM
I knew i was in trouble after i did redrum's mom in the ass...doh!

pikesome
10-18-2007, 06:13 AM
This is one of those topics that, if gotten wrong, you shouldn't be ashamed. 2 years off after a neck injury for a 34 year old RB with an injury history? Yep, he's done, fork and all. Only now it looks like he's playing. On paper, it's a WTF moment.

DenverChief
10-18-2007, 06:16 AM
I knew i was in trouble after i did redrum's mom in the ass...doh!

LMAO

DenverChief
10-18-2007, 07:02 AM

Exactly.

on both sides.

http://tricons.com/NFLForum/images/EatCrow.gif

WHERE YA AT BOYS?

Easy 6
10-18-2007, 07:45 AM
I dont have a prob eating crow on this, the smart $$$ said he wasnt ever coming back.

Glad to say "I'm Wrong"...reading Herm talk about how he still has his quickness & burst is very exciting.

If Herms not blowing smoke, theres now no question who has the best 1-2 punch at RB.

DenverChief
10-18-2007, 03:20 PM
I dont have a prob eating crow on this, the smart $$$ said he wasnt ever coming back.

Glad to say "I'm Wrong"...reading Herm talk about how he still has his quickness & burst is very exciting.

If Herms not blowing smoke, theres now no question who has the best 1-2 punch at RB.

:)

2 down

jlscorpio
penchief
Deberg_1990
Mecca
SNR
htismaqe
sedated
Direckshun

to go

MTG#10
10-18-2007, 04:00 PM
I dont think anyone has to eat crow. He hasnt played yet.

RustShack
10-18-2007, 04:11 PM
:)

LOCOChief
10-18-2007, 04:26 PM
I'm thinking he's back. I'm thinking LJ's going to have a meltdown over it.