PDA

View Full Version : Fun at the Shrine Circus

Iron Chef
05-07-2007, 09:08 AM
I get these free tickets to go to the local Shrine Circus here in the Atlanta area, so I pack up the kids and head off with a couple we know and their kids for a fun filled day.

The day started out well. We walked the midway for a little bit before we head off to the show. We get there about ½ hour early to get the “good” seats. The show starts off just as I expect, Bruno Blaszak the faggy tiger trainer dances around a bunch of indifferent tigers for about 10 mins as my friend and I heckle him to ourselves. The Espana Extreme Swing Performers do a few flips. My daughter loved that act.

Now the fun starts, its time for the Ojeda Flying Trapeze & High Wire Act. The high wire act start out pretty much the same you would see at any Circus, they do some jump ropes, walk backwards, sit on some chairs at one point the guy almost takes a dive. Then they go for the Leapfrog. I guess they haven’t practiced this one to much, because as soon and little Jimmy lands the jump his foot slips and down he goes 30 ft onto the floor.

Ya know I’ve never heard anyone yell out “IS THERE A DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE!!!” and actually mean it before. As they are working on poor Jimmy they decide it’s a good time to bring out. Motorcycle Platform Performed by Jenny & Visan, I didn’t watch this act too closely as the EMS guys were still working on the poor fella. Then I guess they decided that the clown would distract us from the goings on, but their skit maybe should have been scrapped as well as it involved a fake bicycle accident with clown paramedics carting off the bike while the real EMS was carting off Jimmy. They did finish the show minus the Trapeze act. I guess Jimmy wasn’t able to make a go of it. They did announce he seemed to be doing fine with movement in all his various body parts and such, just soreness and bruising. You know the normal injuries from a 30 ft fall. I bet the kids will have this one etched in their heads for some time to come.

p.s. sorry I didn’t have a camera available to no pics.

bogie
05-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Had you brought your video camera you'd be making a little extra cash right now.

Was the circus in a tent or outdoors?

Hope Jimmy has a swift recovery. He must be a young strappin' guy. Had I fallen 30' I suspect it would break every bone in my body.

Lzen
05-07-2007, 10:02 AM
They don't use nets anymore?

Bwana
05-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Ouch, that's going to leave a mark.

Iowanian
05-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Was this performance as funny in person?
http://pics.livejournal.com/bovil/pic/0000xkr7/s640x480

Iowanian
05-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Maybe you missed the signs that indicated this was the wrong circus

http://www.hypnozebra.com/catalog/images/c2k6liqu_blue_37_3.jpg

Iron Chef
05-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Had you brought your video camera you'd be making a little extra cash right now.

Was the circus in a tent or outdoors?

Hope Jimmy has a swift recovery. He must be a young strappin' guy. Had I fallen 30' I suspect it would break every bone in my body.

This was inside an equestrian center so it was covered, but the sides were open.

bogie
05-07-2007, 02:57 PM
This was inside an equestrian center so it was covered, but the sides were open.

That explains why he survived. Nothing softer to fall on than years and years of built up horse shit.

Iron Chef
05-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Update

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro/cobb/stories/2007/05/07/0508metfall.html

Trapeze performer 'out of danger' after 30-foot fall in Cobb

By AIXA M. PASCUAL
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 05/08/07

It was the last day of the circus, and the García Brothers were almost done with their nerve-wracking high-wire act. Suddenly, one of the performers lost his balance and fell 30 feet as spectators looked on from crowded bleachers.

"We thought it was part of the show," said Betty Schaaf, who attended Sunday's performance with her husband, Paul, and their children, ages 8 and 11.

Special
(ENLARGE)
Jimmy Garcia, a trapeze performer injured Sunday when he fell 30 feet, is out of danger and could be released from the hospital Wednesday, said Arturo Beltr?n.

The ringmaster asked more than once if there was a doctor in the house.

The show went on after the fall at the Cobb County Equestrian Center in Marietta, with a motorcycle acrobatic act roaring up as paramedics tended to the injured performer, Jimmy García, 32.

He was in stable condition Monday at Atlanta Medical Center with a broken collarbone, three broken ribs and a punctured lung, said Arturo Beltrán, his partner in the trapeze act.

"He's out of danger," Beltrán said.

The accident came less than a week after an acrobat fell to his death in a Mexican circus in Los Angeles. The acrobat was dangling from two 26-foot-long cloths when equipment connecting cables to the cloths broke, the Los Angeles Times reported.

García did not use a harness, shackles or safety net during the act, Beltrán said. García could leave the hospital Wednesday, Beltrán added, after surgery to repair his collarbone.

García performed at the 65th Annual Yaarab Shrine Circus & Carnival. It's a fund-raiser for the local Shiners, a nonprofit that supports 22 pediatric hospitals in the U.S., Mexico and Canada.

To put on the circus, the local Yaarab Shrine hired TZ Productions, a Missouri-based circus company also known as Tarzan Zerbini.

Beltrán said he was warming up for his act just outside the circus tent when he heard the music stop.

People connected to the act knew something was wrong, said Karen O'Brien, whose husband plays a clown in the circus. "It was completely hushed," she said.

RealSNR
05-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Where's Otter? He usually loves the circus.