PDA

View Full Version : Anyone elses basement flood?

Wa-Z
05-07-2007, 12:11 PM
My room is down there and it got wet overnight...we just got new carpet this past year...

Our sump pump is a piece of shit that jerks itself around when turned on until it doesn't work right...I wake up in the morning and step in a puddle of water! :cuss: :cuss:

Screw the rain.

Redrum_69
05-07-2007, 12:19 PM
If youd listen to Katie Horner about the "Torrential Terrible Tsunami of Two Thousand Seven" and put your house on stilts....

luv
05-07-2007, 12:20 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=162714

Lzen
05-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Yes, mine did. But it always does when we get a lot of rain. I really need to see about getting something done with it, though. It is not good.

JBucc
05-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Well next time maybe you shouldn't build it underneath your house.

Simplex3
05-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Not since a few years ago when I spent two days outside in the rain installing a 60ft french drain down the side of my house, knock on wood.

Groves
05-07-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm considering that possibility that not having a cellar door over my cellar stairway contributed to my basement water. Can't decide.

Anyway, as I'm sure the Shop•Vac people are reading this. WHY in all that's good did you go from lids that had a sturdy three closing points to only two? Worst design I've ever used. Isn't almost everyone that's sucking up water going to lift the unit by the handle?

Nzoner
05-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Damn I just got a call from a good friend who spent the night moving everything out of his house,he said they can't even drive to their house now because of the water. :(

I asked why he didn't call me to help but he said they had enough with his family.

stlchiefs
05-07-2007, 12:33 PM
My room is down there and it got wet overnight...we just got new carpet this past year...

Our sump pump is a piece of shit that jerks itself around when turned on until it doesn't work right...I wake up in the morning and step in a puddle of water! :cuss: :cuss:

Screw the rain.

I think I'd blame the weather if I pissed the bed at your age too. Next time don't drink so much right before bed.

Wa-Z
05-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Not since a few years ago when I spent two days outside in the rain installing a 60ft french drain down the side of my house, knock on wood.

I could use one of those.

TrickyNicky
05-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Yep, went out and bought a shop-vac too. It seeped in through the wall, so I'm probably looking at a good chunk of $ to repair it. *%&@!

kepp
05-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Simplex has got it right. I improved the drainage around the outside of my house and it stopped 99% of the leaks. I tried sealing from the inside first, but that didn't do too much. The water can't get THROUGH the foundation if it can't get TO the foundation.

Mr. Plow
05-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Water Sucks. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=160372&highlight=Water+Sucks)

I'm seriously thinking about filling my basement in with cement and just screwing the whole idea of finishing it.

Damn you water!

Kerberos
05-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Had to break out the shop vac and floor fan on Sunday morning. Things have been dry since initial clean up which is WIERD cause it's been raining like a bitch off and on since sunday afternoon here in north/east KS.

go bo
05-07-2007, 02:18 PM
yep, lots of us in independence are enjoying a little swim in our basements...

Delano
05-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Northern South Dakota got drenched over the weekend. One town had 9 1/2 inches in a short time. Crazy weather on the great plains.

gblowfish
05-07-2007, 02:44 PM
My basement has a concrete floor and always leaks when we have big rains. No biggie, all the important stuff is up on wooden palettes, and after the river stops running into the floor drains, just mop up with a little clorox and no harm done.

Baxter, my cat who lives in the basement, has requested some swim fins....

Lzen
05-07-2007, 02:45 PM
My basement has a concrete floor and always leaks when we have big rains. No biggie, all the important stuff is up on wooden palettes, and after the river stops running into the floor drains, just mop up with a little clorox and no harm done.

Baxter, my cat who lives in the basement, has requested some swim fins....

Antifreeze?

Wa-Z
05-07-2007, 03:17 PM
If I've shop vaccumed everything you guys think it would still create mildew or smell bad?

Dave Lane
05-07-2007, 03:36 PM
My puddle was 2 feet deep.

Dave

SLAG
05-07-2007, 03:39 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=158980

Again.. but not as bad as then

Bugeater
05-07-2007, 03:58 PM
If I've shop vaccumed everything you guys think it would still create mildew or smell bad?
Is your carpet glued down, or does it have pad underneath it? If it has a pad, you need to pull up the carpet, remove the pad, dry the floor and replace the pad. You'll never get that shit dried out. If it's commercial-type carpet that's glued down, you've already done all you really can. It helps if you put a fan on it to dry it adequately, and if you have a dehumidifier crank that baby up in there as well. The faster you get it dry, the less chance for mildew.

Wa-Z
05-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Is your carpet glued down, or does it have pad underneath it? If it has a pad, you need to pull up the carpet, remove the pad, dry the floor and replace the pad. You'll never get that shit dried out. If it's commercial-type carpet that's glued down, you've already done all you really can. It helps if you put a fan on it to dry it adequately, and if you have a dehumidifier crank that baby up in there as well. The faster you get it dry, the less chance for mildew.

There is padding underneath...

Bugeater
05-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Damn. That sucks. I suppose you could try to get a carpet cleaning company to extract the water. Make sure they have a truck-mounted unit, those are far more powerful than a portable one. They may be able to treat the carpet with something to prevent mildew as well. I'd go jump into the yellow pages right now.

Mr. Plow
05-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Damn. That sucks. I suppose you could try to get a carpet cleaning company to extract the water. Make sure they have a truck-mounted unit, those are far more powerful than a portable one. They may be able to treat the carpet with something to prevent mildew as well. I'd go jump into the yellow pages right now.

If you are looking for a company to come out, call 800 RESPOND (800 737 7663). That is the national call center for ServiceMaster. They typically can have someone to your house in 4 hours.

I've done this type of work before - water extraction & such. My dad works for one of the ServiceMaster Regional Offices. Trust me, the water isn't the main issue. Mold growth from area's, floorings and walls not properly dried out should be the main concern.

If carpet is involved, I recommend getting a professional out to at least take a look at it.

alanm
05-07-2007, 05:31 PM
You're f*cked. The padding is no good now. :shake:

Fairplay
05-07-2007, 05:56 PM

I did the same thing. Worked on drainage on the side of my house.

Also try to keep the gutters clean so they won't spill water over on the sides of your house. That will help keep water out of the basement.