PDA

View Full Version : General NFL Question....

CoMoChief
05-08-2007, 11:34 AM
What's the difference between a regular NFL ball and the NFL "K" ball that they use for kicking and why do they use it?

JBucc
05-08-2007, 11:36 AM
I think it's just not rubbed down. So it's still slick and hard to hold and get a grip on.

JBucc
05-08-2007, 11:37 AM
From wikipedia:

"Twelve (12) new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer, will be opened in the officials’ locker room two hours prior to the starting time of the game. These balls are to be specially marked with the letter "k" and used exclusively for the kicking game."

booyaf2
05-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Just throwing this out there, but i'd guess that the "k" balls air pressure needs adjusted after each kickoff and/or punt.

pikesome
05-08-2007, 11:43 AM
From wikipedia:

"Twelve (12) new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer, will be opened in the officials’ locker room two hours prior to the starting time of the game. These balls are to be specially marked with the letter "k" and used exclusively for the kicking game."

Probably to keep Ray Guy from filling his footballs with helium.

Ray Guy was known for punts with a high hangtime, he once punted the ball with so much hangtime the opponents pulled the ball and had it tested for helium. The hangtime statistic was also instituted in the NFL during his time, probably because of him.

Redrum_69
05-08-2007, 11:50 AM

Guy is also an accomplished jazz flautist...accoding to wikipedia

I always knew kickers were the GoChiefs of the NFL

vailpass
05-08-2007, 11:50 AM

Last night on MythBusters they did the helium vs. regular ball myth and mentioned Ray Guy as the possible source.
Turns out there is zero benefit to putting helium in a football.

ChiefsCountry
05-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Last night on MythBusters they did the helium vs. regular ball myth and mentioned Ray Guy as the possible source.

And Missouri State was the footage they used of the kicker kicking. :)

CoMoChief
05-08-2007, 11:59 AM

Yeah I remember that one. They used like a 757 Airplane hanger to do it in or something like that.