PDA

View Full Version : Bucs DT Sims restructures contract

Bill Lundberg
05-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Bucs DT Sims restructures contract
Written by: Stephen Holder ¦ 5/9/2007
Source: blogs.tampabay.com
We can't yet put this one in the beyond-the-shadow-of-a-doubt category, but it appears new defensive tackle Ryan Sims has restructured his contract.

According to the players' union database of salaries, Sims contract reflects a base salary of $595,000 for 2007 and nothing for '08 nor '09. When Sims was traded to the Bucs last week from Kansas City for an undisclosed draft pick, he had $5.7-million in base salary remaining over the next three seasons.

We reached out to Sims' agent to determine what exactly was done to the contract because the database does not reflect bonuses, guaranteed salary nor incentives, making it tricky to determine a contract's actual value. His agent, Peter Schaffer, didn't exactly answer the question, which leads us to believe seeing is believing in this case. That means the final two years of the deal were likely voided, too.

What Schaffer did say in our email exchange was the following: "Ryan's goal right now is to make the Bucs, make them better and show everyone why he was the sixth pick in the (2002) draft. He is thankful that the Bucs have shown him this type of confidence and hopes to repay them with a great year."

We won't know the specifics of the restructure until we get the contract details, but this looks like a pretty significant overhaul, which should result in major savings for the Bucs. Once the Chiefs determined they were moving on without Sims, it's likely that his best bet was the orchestrate a trade and agree to restructure his contract. That might have been more appealing to getting released outright.

All in all, if the guy pans out -- and that's a big if -- it looks like the Bucs might have gotten a steal.
http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/

ROFL

88TG88
05-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Bucs DT Sims
music to my ears

Archie Bunker
05-09-2007, 09:39 PM
music to my ears
LMAO That was my first thought as well.

the Talking Can
05-09-2007, 09:43 PM
are donuts counted as a bonus or base salary?

RealSNR
05-09-2007, 09:46 PM
This story died days ago and now that it's been brought back to life it's STILL just as glorious as the moment I heard it.

Have fun, Bucs.

Eleazar
05-09-2007, 10:00 PM
If they can bring in Julius Peppers, they'll be all set.

Halfcan
05-09-2007, 10:04 PM
what an asswhipe-why didn't he show the fuggin Chiefs why he was a #6 pick??

I feel violated-and not in a good way.

trndobrd
05-09-2007, 10:05 PM
are donuts counted as a bonus or base salary?

Not sure how it is calculated, but I'm pretty sure they are guarenteed in any contract cRyan Sims signed.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Have fun, Bucs.

I sure hope they don't.

Smed1065
05-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Too be honest, yeah I know it is the planet.

For that salary I would have keep him for backup unless the pick was a 6th or better.....

Flamethrowers loaded?

Mr. Flopnuts
05-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Too be honest, yeah I know it is the planet.

For that salary I would have keep him for backup unless the pick was a 6th or better.....

Flamethrowers loaded?

It would never work here. I won't be surprised for one second if he becomes a pro bowler in TB. He just couldn't pull his head out of his ass (or cheeseburger) long enough to realize his potential here. I hope not. I hope he flops like Tim Duncan in the playoffs. It's possible though. He was a big talent coming out of college.

the Talking Can
05-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Sims is a lazy piece of trash.

he is not going to magically became a great player...he was a joke of a player, a total joke

InChiefsHeaven
05-09-2007, 10:21 PM
5 years should have been ample time for Mr. Sims to pull his sizeable head out of his arse...Buh buy...glad we got at least something for him...

Smed1065
05-09-2007, 10:27 PM
I agree but I did state a 6th PLUS the salary cut to 5000,000.

I stuck with him the longest and I WAS WRONG.

but I do not think a 7th is worth a backup player in the NFL.

el borracho
05-09-2007, 10:27 PM
What did we get for him?

Smed1065
05-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Unknown I think. If it is a 7th next year- it is rated as an 8th this year, value wise.

That is why I said a backup is worth 600,000 if they have NFL experience.

IMO.

the Talking Can
05-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Unknown I think. If it is a 7th next year- it is rated as an 8th this year, value wise.

That is why I said a backup is worth 600,000 if they have NFL experience.

IMO.

sims is a lazy whiner...there is no place for that on a good team...we are better without him