PDA

View Full Version : Olmos: Battlestar Galactica ending after season 4 (keg: @*&#)

keg in kc
05-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Shit **** damn hell mother****ing goddamn **** shit hell

:banghead:

Breaking News: EDWARD JAMES OLMOS SAYS THIS IS THE LAST SEASON FOR 'BATTLESTAR GALACTICA' (http://ifmagazine.com/new.asp?article=4445)

The man behind Adama gives us hints of what to expect and tells about the 2 hour movie as well

By SEAN ELLIOTT, Senior Editor, iF Magazine
Published 5/10/2007

THE SKINNY: iF MAGAZINE was on the red carpet covering the Saturn Awards at the Universal Hilton this evening and talked to several interesting people from all walks of Sci Fi, Fantasy, and Horror. One of the most interesting things was our conversation with Edward James Olmos, Admiral Adama, from the SCI FI Channel series BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. Olmos told iF that this is the final season for the show and what fans can expect to see in the two-hour movie filling the gap between seasons three and four.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

iF MAGAZINE: What’s coming up for season four?

EDWARD JAMES OLMOS: It’s fantastic. I think they’re going to discover some very important issues about what the fan base really, really wants to see and what’s to understand about this show. We’re heading into the final season. This is the final season as we speak. All of us are very saddened by that, but we always knew there was going to be a conclusion and we would find Earth, so we will be finding Earth this season. I wish it would [keep going]. I could do 10 years like this season. I think that this is some of finest usages of television that I have been a part of in my life. Bar nun. I’ve been doing this for 42 years. I’ve done some really good work in television and motion pictures but there really is nothing like this show. I can honestly tell you that this is one of the finest dramatic pieces work on humanity I’ve ever seen in my life.
iF: Are you wrapped on the series then, yourself?

OLMOS: No, I was just getting started. [Laughs] You’ll see, this year we’ll eat them up and spit them out and they’re going to wish they would’ve gone on for 10 years.

iF: So anything special we can expect for the new season?

OLMOS: You can expect lots of energy. The closer we get to the discovery and the understanding of what this show is really about, the more intense it’s going to get and the more difficult it is to watch.

iF: What can you tell us about the 2 hour movie in between seasons?

OLMOS: My involvement is minimal; it’s more of a situation about what happened to the Pegasus prior to getting to us. It’s a very powerful piece of work. The writing is…these kids are doing very well! Ron Moore, I don’t think he’ll ever have this opportunity again.

iF: Will Adama and Roslin heat up for this final season then?

OLMOS: Probably! [Laughs] We’re heating it up. We’ve been pretty intimate without getting intimate. It’s heating towards that. My instincts are that it’s going to do a tremendous about face.

iF: How did you react to the resurrection of Starbuck?

OLMOS: That’s interesting. I’d like to know what that means myself, because we thought she was gone. We were all led to believe that. We weren’t even around when they filmed that shot. We saw it at the end like everybody else. The best part of working with a really understanding group of people so they kept it.

Deberg_1990
05-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Arnt they starting a whole new series called "Caprica" or something like that??

It was announced like a year or so ago...

keg in kc
05-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Arnt they starting a whole new series called "Caprica" or something like that??

It was announced like a year or so ago...Probably not going to happen. If it does, it's not going to be anything like this show. Caprica's pitched as a straight-up drama series, part courtroom drama, as I understand it.

siberian khatru
05-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Sad to see it go, but it's probably for the best. Go out on top, with a logical conclusion, rather than stringing the series along with filler, or getting all twisted up in implausibilities and contradictions just to maintain some momentum in an open-ended situation.

Bowser
05-11-2007, 08:53 AM
I think I'll believe it when I see it. I say that based on Katee Sackhoff's "interview" where she said she's a cylon. I think these guys are pretty good at misdirecting the fans in one direction. Besides, the show is way too popular, no way it wraps up next year ( :grovel: ).

The movie about the Pegasus sounds pretty cool.

trndobrd
05-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Better to end strong than slowly fade into poor writing, a string of 2nd rate actors, and low production values.

'Battlestar Galactica 2010' anyone?

keg in kc
05-11-2007, 08:55 AM
Part of me expected this and part of me is still screaming mother****er.

Sort of unrelated, although this show's part of it, I wonder if 2001 to the present has been the best era of television to date, not just genre, but all around. There's a number of shows that have been on that would, at least on a personal scale, rate as candidates for best series' of all time.

Frazod
05-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Sad to see it go, but it's probably for the best. Go out on top, with a logical conclusion, rather than stringing the series along with filler, or getting all twisted up in implausibilities and contradictions just to maintain some momentum in an open-ended situation.

Sad to see it go, but I agree with this. I don't want to see Adama shot down over the Sea of Japan and replaced with Colonel Potter.

keg in kc
05-11-2007, 08:59 AM
I don't want to see Adama shot down over the Sea of Japan and replaced with Colonel Potter.It's sad that most of the memorable, iconic moments of my life have to do with TV, but that ending, with Radar in the operating room, is something I'll never forget.

siberian khatru
05-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Sad to see it go, but I agree with this. I don't want to see Adama shot down over the Sea of Japan and replaced with Colonel Potter.

Hahaha. Y'know, that still bugs me. Damn them for doing that (plus, it wasn't even original, was it Mr. Roberts?).

Frazod
05-11-2007, 09:07 AM
It's sad that most of the memorable, iconic moments of my life have to do with TV, but that ending, with Radar in the operating room, is something I'll never forget.

I was absolutely traumatized by that episode the first time I saw it. I remember running to my mom screaming "THEY KILLED HENRY!" :deevee: To this day, I still can't watch that episode without tearing up a bit. Bastards. :grr:

stumppy
05-11-2007, 09:18 AM

I know exactly how you feel.
I think they could have gotten one or two more seasons out of it and still went out on top.

Valiant
05-11-2007, 12:40 PM
I think that is the new thing now when sci-fi series end, make a movie(s)...

Farscape, a movie was the ending..
Stargate, is in the process of making two movies..
Babylon 5, has made a shitload of movies and in the process of making two more also...

Uncle_Ted
05-11-2007, 01:32 PM
I know we've beaten this to death already, but it better be a whole lot better than the second half of season 3. They're really going to have to hit a homerun right out of the gate to get this show back on track.

It's not just me -- a lot of people who have been with this show singing its praises from the beginning were baffled by the poor quality of the writing during the last half-season.

journeyscarab
05-11-2007, 02:43 PM
KHAN!!!!

Adept Havelock
05-11-2007, 02:47 PM
I'll be sorry to see it go, but I'd prefer them to wrap it up before it drags on for too long (X-Files).

'Battlestar Galactica 2010' anyone?

Well, Ron Moore mentioned in an interview there would be flying motorcycles. ;)

chagrin
05-11-2007, 02:49 PM

Like "24" season 6

MyChiefConcern
05-11-2007, 03:15 PM
This is a great move on behalf of the Battlestar creators, IMO. To this point, the series has basically been flawless, and Olmos is right in saying that there's been a clear goal in mind from the get-go. You can only stretch it out for so long.

This last season is going to dominate.

Adept Havelock
05-11-2007, 03:38 PM
This last season is going to dominate.

:hmmm:

Mistress Caprica 6, professional Dominatrix.

keg in kc
05-11-2007, 03:47 PM
I think that is the new thing now when sci-fi series end, make a movie(s)...

Farscape, a movie was the ending..
Stargate, is in the process of making two movies..
Babylon 5, has made a shitload of movies and in the process of making two more also...The movie comes before season 4, not after.

And I loved season 3, particularly on second viewing.

MyChiefConcern
05-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Season 3 of Battlestar was awesome, all the way through. No doubt about it.

Adept Havelock
05-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Season 3 of Battlestar was awesome, all the way through. No doubt about it.

With the exception of the "Polygon" between Lee, Kara, Anders, and Dee, I'd agree.

I still think they threw that in just to show those fans calling for it how bad an idea it really was.

On the bright side, we did see Adama and Roslin getting wasted one night on New Caprica. ROFL

Baby Lee
05-11-2007, 05:36 PM

Sort of unrelated, although this show's part of it, I wonder if 2001 to the present has been the best era of television to date, not just genre, but all around. There's a number of shows that have been on that would, at least on a personal scale, rate as candidates for best series' of all time.
May I say again, Deadwood justified the invention of the television.

keg in kc
05-11-2007, 05:59 PM
May I say again, Deadwood justified the invention of the television.Deadwood, The Shield, 24 (until now), Lost, BSG, The Sopranos (well, '99), just off the top of my head. I know there's a ton more.

keg in kc
05-11-2007, 06:06 PM
SciFi Wire's response:

Flight of Battlestar Continues (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=41457)

Battlestar Galactica's search for Earth continues to be an open-ended adventure, executive producer David Eick said.

Contrary to comments by Edward James Olmos (Adm. Adama) at the Saturn Awards on May10, no end has been announced for the award-winning show. Battlestar Galactica is preparing to film its fourth season, one that will include 22 episodes, rather than the previously announced 13.

"For those of you who have been paying attention over the years, this is not the first time Eddie has made an announcement about the possibility of the show's end," chuckled Eick. "I promise you that when [executiuve producer] Ron [Moore] and I make a decision about Galactica's future, we'll let you know

trndobrd
05-11-2007, 07:00 PM
May I say again, Deadwood justified the invention of the television.

With the notable exception, sir, of f###ing capricously and without merit or a care for the general good stopping the God D####ed production miday through the f###ing proceedings.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

keg in kc
06-01-2007, 08:55 AM
:(

Battlestar Ending Next Season

The producers of SCI FI Channel's Battlestar Galactica confirmed that the upcoming fourth season will be the show's last. Executive producers Ronald Moore and David Eick said that it was a creative decision to end the acclaimed series with the upcoming 22-episode season.

"This show was always meant to have a beginning, a middle and, finally, an end," Eick and Moore said in a statement on May 31. "Over the course of the last year, the story and the characters have been moving strongly toward that end, and we've decided to listen to those internal voices and conclude the show on our own terms. And while we know our fans will be saddened to know the end is coming, they should brace themselves for a wild ride getting there: We're going out with a bang."

In November, a special two-hour Battlestar episode, "Razor," will air. The fourth season kicks off in early 2008.

At last month's Saturn Awards, Edward James Olmos said that the upcoming season would be the show's last, prompting Eick to say at the time that no decision had been made. "I promise you that when Ron and I make a decision about Galactica's future, we'll let you know," he said then.

Bowser
06-01-2007, 08:59 AM
This sucks. Any good reason as to why they're pulling the plug, other than they wanted a tidy "beginning, middle, and end"?

keg in kc
06-01-2007, 09:01 AM
I have no idea. It's a very expensive show that doesn't get very good ratings, so it may be a network-induced thing. Eick is involved with a number of other projects, too.

Better to end early than hang on too long and suck, but damn it's like SciFi can't keep a really good show on the air for more than 4 seasons.

Frazod
06-01-2007, 09:03 AM
As I said before, it sucks that it's ending, but better that it ends before it gets lame. Last season it started to slip a bit.

Bowser
06-01-2007, 09:06 AM
I have no idea. It's a very expensive show that doesn't get very good ratings, so it may be a network-induced thing. Eick is involved with a number of other projects, too.

Better to end early than hang on too long and suck, but damn it's like SciFi can't keep a really good show on the air for more than 4 seasons.

:spock:

That's surprising. It's better than most of the dreck on TV, hands down. I think Sci-Fi and FX are my two favorite networks, come to think of it.

NBC is parent to Sci-Fi, right? Maybe they expected more, like what they wrestling show pulls in viewership. Sad.

Redrum_69
06-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Good riddance, that show was awful.

Bowser
06-01-2007, 09:07 AM
A question about "ratings" -

With Tivo and DVIR in such wide use today, does that effect the Nielsen ratings of a show if someone is taping it rather than watching it "live"?

keg in kc
06-01-2007, 09:12 AM
A question about "ratings" -

With Tivo and DVIR in such wide use today, does that effect the Nielsen ratings of a show if someone is taping it rather than watching it "live"?There was some dabbling in that this last season, and as I recall, it added something like a half-million viewers.

BSG is also consistently one of the highest-downloaded shows, according to itunes numbers.