PDA

View Full Version : Scout.com: Give Croyle A Chance

Direckshun
05-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Very interesting article -- I was wondering what ChiefsPlanet thought about Wendler making comparisons to Croyle's situation and situations that Philip Rivers and Chad Pennington faced.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=66&p=2&c=643127

Give Croyle A Chance

By C.E. Wendler
Warpaint Illustrated Publisher
Posted May 10, 2007

The 2007 season will mark the dawn of a new era for the Chiefs. For the first time since 1983, the team will attempt to develop a quarterback (Brodie Croyle) originally drafted by the franchise.

The reaction of most Chiefs fans to this grand experiment?

Time to find a new quarterback!

This is honestly a sad response. It smacks of chicken-little attitudes and an overall negative view of KC’s future. Reading some of these quotes is really depressing.

“Insert Chiefs for "Fins" and Brodie Croyle for "Cleo Lemon" and you have the view of every other AFC team on the Chiefs.”

Note – Lemon was an un-drafted free agent.

“Croyle will be stocking groceries in 2 years, ala Matt Blundin and about 289 other "project for the future" young quarterbacks drafted.”

Note – A former Super Bowl MVP once enjoyed an illustrious – albeit short – career as a grocery stocker.

“I don't think it's the right time for Brodie Croyle either. From what I've seen, he doesn't look like he'll ever be an NFL QB.”

Note – Technically, Croyle is ALREADY an NFL quarterback. And, to date, all anyone has “seen” of Croyle is seven regular-season pass attempts. I guess he’s thrown some preseason passes, too, but either way, it’s quite irrelevant. I’m sure the Chiefs aren’t giving him a shot to start this season because of anything anyone outside the organization saw from him on the field last year.

And please, allow me to step down off this high horse. I, too, am guilty of “Croyle Doubt.” During the NFL draft, as Brady Quinn dropped down the draft chart, I started to dream a little dream. When the Dolphins passed on Quinn with the 9th selection, and I saw what teams remained before the Chiefs were on the clock, I admit – I started to wet my knickers along with the rest of Chiefs Nation. Don’t deny it – you did the same thing.

By the time the Cowboys were on the clock, I was worked up into a frenzy. These days I put on a good face and write nice things about Dwayne Bowe, but Draft Day 2007 won’t soon be forgotten.

So, yes, it’s fair to say that, at the moment, some fans might be down on Croyle. This is understandable. After all, Missouri is the “show-me” state, and to date, Croyle’s NFL touchdown passes have all been scored to the opposition.

But more importantly, the Chiefs have, without question, been an absolute, unequivocal failure as an organization at drafting and developing young quarterbacks. The only two passers who have been worth anything over the long term (Len Dawson and Trent Green) entered the league with other franchises.

Since 1983, the Chiefs have drafted 10 quarterbacks. That group has combined for a whopping 33 touchdown passes – and 29 of those came from Todd Blackledge. It’s pretty sad when this group’s cream of the crop is widely considered to be one of the biggest quarterback busts in NFL history. Marcus Allen threw more touchdowns than most of these guys.

And no, we’re not going to count Danny McManus’ 259 career CFL scoring tosses.

Obviously, this is a concern. You can’t really blame any Chiefs fan who might want to toss Croyle into the garbage can with the rest of KC’s historical quarterback trash, but you can certainly attempt to separate yourself from them.

Look at what Philip Rivers did last year. Before the season began, it was widely predicted that the Chargers would fall off due to replacing Drew Brees with a first-year starter. Seventeen weeks later, not only did San Diego win 14 games and the AFC West title, they also led the entire National Football League in scoring offense.

How did they do this? With a dominating running game and efficient passing from Rivers, who was never asked to do more than he was capable of, utilizing an All-Pro tight end (Antonio Gates), a reliable veteran receiver (Keenan McCardell) and a young, big receiver just breaking into the league (Vincent Jackson).

Ding! A light should be going off over your heads, Chiefs fans. Croyle has all of those things in front of him in Kansas City this year. Dominating running game? Check. All-Pro tight end? Check. Veteran receiver? Check. And Dwayne Bowe will easily be better than Jackson was a year ago.

The only wildcard here is obviously KC’s offensive line – another subject widely disparaged by Chiefs fans this offseason. We’ll save that for a future column, however.

But here’s the other thing – Herm Edwards has been through this before. I know you readers are attempting to stave off death by laughter at the moment (Herm the quarterback guru! Pull the other one!), but it’s true. In fact, you Chiefs fans reading this should be better aware of this than anyone else – because Chad Pennington’s first NFL start was against Kansas City in 2002.

That’s right. “Herm the Conservative,” connoisseur of field goals, lover of third-down running plays and author of the now-infamous quote “Any drive that ends in a kick is a good thing,” shoved a young quarterback into the limelight with abandon, risking a team that made the playoffs the year prior.

And what did Pennington do? Only complete nearly 70 percent of his passes with 22 touchdowns and a mere six interceptions. The Jets won the AFC East and a playoff game that year, so yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus – or in this case, a chance the Chiefs might win more than four or five games with Brodie Croyle starting this year, in between stocking shelves during his night shift at Price Chopper while being mistaken weekly for Cleo Lemon.

And no, I’m not predicting the Chiefs will do anything with Croyle at the helm in 2007. He very well could be the next Matt Blundin or Pat Barnes or Mike Elkins.

But let’s not throw in the towel just yet. To paraphrase the immortal words of John Lennon:

“All we are saying…is give Croyle a chance.”

chagrin
05-11-2007, 11:30 AM
I knew GoChiefs had a mult, LOL!

Just kidding, heh

Deberg_1990
05-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Wow! Premium content for free!!!!

HemiEd
05-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Nice job Clayton, good read IMO!

Hammock Parties
05-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Direckshun is my biggest fan.

Hammock Parties
05-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Oh hell...nice link to Silver and Black Illustrated.

Calcountry
05-11-2007, 12:58 PM
So, how are the Rangers doing this year?

Hammock Parties
05-11-2007, 12:59 PM
So, how are the Rangers doing this year?

What is baseball?

luv
05-11-2007, 01:02 PM
:clap:

htismaqe
05-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Um, GoChiefs. I have one thing to mention.

At least one of those quotes was pulled DIRECTLY from a post here.

Did you get those people's permission to quote them in that way?

Chiefnj
05-11-2007, 01:26 PM

Nope.

RealSNR
05-11-2007, 01:27 PM
I agree totally. Chiefs fans have bitched about starting other teams' leftovers for years and now that we have a semi-decent pick of our own, they want to start Huard, draft a 1st round QB next year, and "prepare for the future".

The future is NOW. Put the guy in and see if he's any good. What's the worst that could happen? He loses games? According to some people here, that's exactly what Chiefs fans WANT

GoHuge
05-11-2007, 01:40 PM

Did you get those people's permission to quote them in that way?Plagiarism (from Latin plagiare "to kidnap") is the unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work. Unlike cases of forgery, in which the authenticity of the writing, document, or some other kind of object, itself is in question, plagiarism is concerned with the issue of false attribution. Plagiarism can also occur unconsciously; in some cultures certain forms of plagiarism are accepted because the concept can be interpreted differently. :shake:

htismaqe
05-11-2007, 01:45 PM
This isn't plagiarism - he's not taking credit for somebody else's words.

But he's using those people's words without their permission, and that's not kosher.

CoMoChief
05-11-2007, 01:49 PM
There's a HUUUUUUGE difference in what SD did last season to what we coulod do this season.

SD has a VERY good Oline. Ours is sub par at best.

the Talking Can
05-11-2007, 01:52 PM
where do any of the quotes come from?

am I missing an attribution?

DenverChief
05-11-2007, 01:55 PM
The only two passers who have been worth anything over the long term (Len Dawson and Trent Green)

Steve DeBerg? 4 yrs 57 Starts 11,873 yds 67 TDS, 50 INT, 1 RuTDS

Joe Montana? 2 yrs 25 Starts 5427 yds 29 TDS, 16 INT

Steve Bono? 3 yrs 37 Starts 6489 yds 37 TDS, 27 INT, 5 RuTDS

Rich Gannon? 4 yrs 27 Starts 3997 yds 23 TDS, 11 INT, 6 RuTDS

Steve Deberg - yeah he wasn't a "sexy" QB but he was effective and started the turn around of this Franchise from Perennial loser to playoff contender

Joe Montana - Depends on your definition of long term but two years and some overly exciting games I'd say he was worth something

Steve Bono - yea the guy is a d!ck but he had some impressive numbers over the 3 years he was here and took us to the playoffs

Rich Gannon - I can already see a Denise post somewhere in the near future...anywho CP got goosed by Al Davis on this one but no one can doubt Richy Rich was a good QB

Just my $.02

htismaqe
05-11-2007, 02:00 PM
There's a HUUUUUUGE difference in what SD did last season to what we coulod do this season.

SD has a VERY good Oline. Ours is sub par at best.

Our line this year is already better than last year, when we went 9-7 and made the playoffs.

penguinz
05-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Do you get paid by the number of comma's you use? Way to many of the damn things. Just because you can't think without pausing in the middle of a sentence it does not mean there should be a comma there!

DenverChief
Our line this year is already better than last year, when we went 9-7 and made the playoffs.

The whole Terry thing makes me nervous tho

Hammock Parties
Steve DeBerg? 4 yrs 57 Starts 11,873 yds 67 TDS, 50 INT, 1 RuTDS

Joe Montana? 2 yrs 25 Starts 5427 yds 29 TDS, 16 INT

Steve Bono? 3 yrs 37 Starts 6489 yds 37 TDS, 27 INT, 5 RuTDS

Rich Gannon? 4 yrs 27 Starts 3997 yds 23 TDS, 11 INT, 6 RuTDS

Steve Deberg - yeah he wasn't a "sexy" QB but he was effective and started the turn around of this Franchise from Perennial loser to playoff contender

Joe Montana - Depends on your definition of long term but two years and some overly exciting games I'd say he was worth something

Steve Bono - yea the guy is a d!ck but he had some impressive numbers over the 3 years he was here and took us to the playoffs

Rich Gannon - I can already see a Denise post somewhere in the near future...anywho CP got goosed by Al Davis on this one but no one can doubt Richy Rich was a good QB

Just my $.02

I don't consider four years long-term.

Hammock Parties
05-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Do you get paid by the number of comma's you use? Way to many of the damn things. Just because you can't think without pausing in the middle of a sentence it does not mean there should be a comma there!

My comma usage is flawless.

htismaqe
05-11-2007, 02:07 PM
The whole Terry thing makes me nervous tho

We didn't have Chris Terry at the start of last year. We had Svitek and Sampson at RT, just like now.

We replaced a one-time RT turned TE with an actual LT in McIntosh.

And you have to admit that Will Shields last year wasn't the same guy that he was the decade previous.

Oh, and did I mention that we got rid of JORDAN BLACK?

penguinz
05-11-2007, 02:07 PM
My comma usage is flawless.Did Athan tell you that?

htismaqe
05-11-2007, 02:08 PM
My comma usage is flawless.

Yes, it is.

penguinz
05-11-2007, 02:11 PM
My comma usage is flawless.Flawless, as in, you know, where the, comma key, is located.

CoMoChief
05-11-2007, 02:18 PM

Our Oline is nowhere even close to being as good as SD's, which is what allowed Rivers to succeed. Croyle is gonna have sub par protection against some of the best defenses in the NFL. Dwayne Bowe won't fix our problems at WR either, not yet at least. Our offense will suffer big time this season.

DEN 2x
OAK 2x
SD 2x
MIN
CHI
NYJ
JAX
IND (I'm basing this off of what they did to us the last time we played them.)

Next season's draft is deep in the tackle position which is where I think we focus next season besides CB and probably another WR.

Donger
05-11-2007, 02:20 PM

ROFL

Example please?

htismaqe
05-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Our Oline is nowhere even close to being as good as SD's, which is what allowed Rivers to succeed. Croyle is gonna have sub par protection against some of the best defenses in the NFL. Dwayne Bowe won't fix our problems at WR either, not yet at least. Our offense will suffer big time this season.

DEN 2x
OAK 2x
SD 2x
MIN
CHI
NYJ
JAX
IND (I'm basing this off of what they did to us the last time we played them.)

Next season's draft is deep in the tackle position which is where I think we focus next season besides CB and probably another WR.

We went 4-2 in the division and 9-7 overall with LAST YEAR'S line.

Hammock Parties
05-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Flawless, as in, you know, where the, comma key, is located.

No. Flawless as in 100% grammatically correct.

You lose.

Maybe you should criticise me for using short paragraphs, too.

Chiefnj
05-11-2007, 02:25 PM

This years line should do worse the first half of the season because of unfamiliarity, the loss of Shields, and getting accustomed to whatever tweaking Herm plans on doing.

Take into a account a rookie QB (hopefully), Allen missing the first 4 games, and all the defensive personnel changes that will take some time to gel and I think anything better than 6 wins is good.

Hammock Parties
05-11-2007, 02:31 PM
This years line should do worse the first half of the season because of unfamiliarity, the loss of Shields, and getting accustomed to whatever tweaking Herm plans on doing.

Really? They couldn't do any worse than the patchwork crap that got Green's noggin cracked and LJ's YPC under 4.0 during the first half of last year.

The Chiefs were scrambling for a left tackle and then Sampson got hurt, making right tackle an adventure. The whole situation was a friggin' mess.

Completely different this year.

Mile High Mania
05-11-2007, 02:34 PM
I think Direchshun and "Wendler" are related ... you're always very overly supportive of these things and why not just call him GoChiefs? Ok, carry on with your scout-spamathon.

Hammock Parties
05-11-2007, 02:35 PM
I think Direchshun and "Wendler" are related ... you're always very overly supportive of these things and why not just call him GoChiefs? Ok, carry on with your scout-spamathon.

I have no mults. None whatsoever.

htismaqe
05-11-2007, 02:39 PM

A line doesn't exist that is worse than last year's line the 1st half of the year...

Chiefnj
05-11-2007, 02:43 PM
A line doesn't exist that is worse than last year's line the 1st half of the year...

If not worse, then the same. It takes time for players to get accustomed to each other. Who is playing RT?? Terry? The last time he started a game was in the first half of 2004 wasn't it?

DenverChief
05-11-2007, 02:50 PM
I don't consider four years long-term.

but 5 years is?

Hammock Parties
05-11-2007, 02:54 PM
but 5 years is?

Six, if you count '06.

And most of those other quarterbacks didn't contribute as full-time starters for four years. Especially not Gannon.

You're splitting hairs anyway. :p

penguinz
05-11-2007, 02:54 PM
No. Flawless as in 100% grammatically correct.

You lose.

Maybe you should criticise me for using short paragraphs, too.I did not criticize your grammar. I criticized your use of punctuation. Looks like I should also criticize your spelling also.

Hammock Parties
05-11-2007, 02:55 PM
If not worse, then the same. It takes time for players to get accustomed to each other. Who is playing RT?? Terry? The last time he started a game was in the first half of 2004 wasn't it?

Terry started a game last year.

Man, there's just no way the line is as bad as last year.

Hammock Parties
05-11-2007, 02:57 PM
I did not criticize your grammar. I criticized your use of punctuation.

You were wrong, regardless.

Looks like I should also criticize your spelling also.

Criticise is an accepted spelling.

Direckshun
05-11-2007, 02:59 PM
I'm supportive of Chiefs discussion that produces ideas.

Didn't know GC was Wendler, and I don't particularly care.

Mile High Mania
05-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Didn't know GC was Wendler, and I don't particularly care.

Total agreement

Donger
05-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Criticise is an accepted spelling.

Stupid Brit.

penguinz
05-11-2007, 03:02 PM
I'm supportive of Chiefs discussion that produces ideas.

Didn't know GC was Wendler, and I don't particularly care.If you did not know they were the same then you must be blind. GC has posted several of his own articles several times and has always taken credit for them.

penguinz
05-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Stupid Brit.LOL, We should start using favour, colour, and shoppe when writing. I think is also sounds cooler to say i am taking a holiday than a vacation.

Direckshun
05-11-2007, 03:03 PM
If you did not know they were the same then you must be blind. GC has posted several of his own articles several times and has always taken credit for them.
I don't know what you want me to do with this information.

vailpass
05-11-2007, 03:05 PM

Haven't heard Draven's response to this question yet. Well Cheese, what do you have to say for yourself?

penguinz
05-11-2007, 03:05 PM
I don't know what you want me to do with this information.You can shove it up your ass for all I care. ;)

Direckshun
05-11-2007, 03:10 PM
You can shove it up your ass for all I care. ;)
Why are there so many songs about rainbows?

htismaqe
05-11-2007, 03:14 PM

Same = 9-7 and making the playoffs.

Hammock Parties
05-11-2007, 03:15 PM
If you did not know they were the same then you must be blind. GC has posted several of his own articles several times and has always taken credit for them.

Uh, usually I don't even post them with bylines.

MyChiefConcern
05-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Keep f*cking doubting Brodie Croyle.

penguinz
05-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Uh, usually I don't even post them with bylines.But you always linked to the original that does have the byline.

Hammock Parties
05-11-2007, 03:18 PM
LOL, We should start using favour, colour, and shoppe when writing. I think is also sounds cooler to say i am taking a holiday than a vacation.

You're preaching to the choir. I was the spelling bee champion of my entire school in 6th grade before losing in regionals because some ****er decided Americans should pronounce "Porpoise" differently than it's spelled.

Hammock Parties
05-11-2007, 03:18 PM
But you always linked to the original that does have the byline.

That is common Planet practice.

Hammock Parties
05-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Keep f*cking doubting Brodie Croyle.

The restrictions of media are damnable.

CoMoChief
05-11-2007, 03:34 PM

We also played a shitty NFCW division with a Hasselbeck and Alexander-less Seahawks and OAK will be better this season after squeaking by them last season. We are starting a rookie QB, I guess to you that accounts to nothing.

Direckshun
05-11-2007, 03:38 PM
We also played a shitty NFCW division with a Hasselbeck and Alexander-less Seahawks and OAK will be better this season after squeaking by them last season.
We squeak by Oakland every year and Chiefs fans cry about the impending doom the next. And last time I checked, the NFCN wasn't that impressive either.

CoMoChief
05-11-2007, 03:52 PM
We squeak by Oakland every year and Chiefs fans cry about the impending doom the next. And last time I checked, the NFCN wasn't that impressive either.

Let's see you got the NFC Champs in CHI, the Packers who are getting better who went 8-8 and not to mention we play like absolute dogshit everytime we play in MIN. DET sucks.

Hammock Parties
05-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Minnesota is coming to Kansas City and so is Green Bay. We'll roll those bitches.

keg in kc
05-11-2007, 03:58 PM
If Croyle is Chad Pennington with a cannon strapped to his shoulder, I think we'd all be tickled pick.

Direckshun
05-11-2007, 04:25 PM
We'll go AT LEAST 3-1 against the NFCN.

If not 4-0. Our offense will struggle against the Bears defense but our D will shake up Grossman.

htismaqe
05-11-2007, 05:25 PM
We are starting a rookie QB, I guess to you that accounts to nothing.

Um, we weren't talking about the rookie QB. We were talking about the OFFENSIVE LINE.

Nightwish
05-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Very interesting article -- I was wondering what ChiefsPlanet thought about Wendler making comparisons to Croyle's situation and situations that Philip Rivers and Chad Pennington faced.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=66&p=2&c=643127

Give Croyle A Chance

By C.E. Wendler
Warpaint Illustrated Publisher
Posted May 10, 2007

The 2007 season will mark the dawn of a new era for the Chiefs. For the first time since 1983, the team will attempt to develop a quarterback (Brodie Croyle) originally drafted by the franchise.

The reaction of most Chiefs fans to this grand experiment?

Time to find a new quarterback!

This is honestly a sad response. It smacks of chicken-little attitudes and an overall negative view of KC’s future. Reading some of these quotes is really depressing.

“Insert Chiefs for "Fins" and Brodie Croyle for "Cleo Lemon" and you have the view of every other AFC team on the Chiefs.”

Note – Lemon was an un-drafted free agent.

“Croyle will be stocking groceries in 2 years, ala Matt Blundin and about 289 other "project for the future" young quarterbacks drafted.”

Note – A former Super Bowl MVP once enjoyed an illustrious – albeit short – career as a grocery stocker.

“I don't think it's the right time for Brodie Croyle either. From what I've seen, he doesn't look like he'll ever be an NFL QB.”

Note – Technically, Croyle is ALREADY an NFL quarterback. And, to date, all anyone has “seen” of Croyle is seven regular-season pass attempts. I guess he’s thrown some preseason passes, too, but either way, it’s quite irrelevant. I’m sure the Chiefs aren’t giving him a shot to start this season because of anything anyone outside the organization saw from him on the field last year.

And please, allow me to step down off this high horse. I, too, am guilty of “Croyle Doubt.” During the NFL draft, as Brady Quinn dropped down the draft chart, I started to dream a little dream. When the Dolphins passed on Quinn with the 9th selection, and I saw what teams remained before the Chiefs were on the clock, I admit – I started to wet my knickers along with the rest of Chiefs Nation. Don’t deny it – you did the same thing.

By the time the Cowboys were on the clock, I was worked up into a frenzy. These days I put on a good face and write nice things about Dwayne Bowe, but Draft Day 2007 won’t soon be forgotten.

So, yes, it’s fair to say that, at the moment, some fans might be down on Croyle. This is understandable. After all, Missouri is the “show-me” state, and to date, Croyle’s NFL touchdown passes have all been scored to the opposition.

But more importantly, the Chiefs have, without question, been an absolute, unequivocal failure as an organization at drafting and developing young quarterbacks. The only two passers who have been worth anything over the long term (Len Dawson and Trent Green) entered the league with other franchises.

Since 1983, the Chiefs have drafted 10 quarterbacks. That group has combined for a whopping 33 touchdown passes – and 29 of those came from Todd Blackledge. It’s pretty sad when this group’s cream of the crop is widely considered to be one of the biggest quarterback busts in NFL history. Marcus Allen threw more touchdowns than most of these guys.

And no, we’re not going to count Danny McManus’ 259 career CFL scoring tosses.

Obviously, this is a concern. You can’t really blame any Chiefs fan who might want to toss Croyle into the garbage can with the rest of KC’s historical quarterback trash, but you can certainly attempt to separate yourself from them.

Look at what Philip Rivers did last year. Before the season began, it was widely predicted that the Chargers would fall off due to replacing Drew Brees with a first-year starter. Seventeen weeks later, not only did San Diego win 14 games and the AFC West title, they also led the entire National Football League in scoring offense.

How did they do this? With a dominating running game and efficient passing from Rivers, who was never asked to do more than he was capable of, utilizing an All-Pro tight end (Antonio Gates), a reliable veteran receiver (Keenan McCardell) and a young, big receiver just breaking into the league (Vincent Jackson).

Ding! A light should be going off over your heads, Chiefs fans. Croyle has all of those things in front of him in Kansas City this year. Dominating running game? Check. All-Pro tight end? Check. Veteran receiver? Check. And Dwayne Bowe will easily be better than Jackson was a year ago.

The only wildcard here is obviously KC’s offensive line – another subject widely disparaged by Chiefs fans this offseason. We’ll save that for a future column, however.

But here’s the other thing – Herm Edwards has been through this before. I know you readers are attempting to stave off death by laughter at the moment (Herm the quarterback guru! Pull the other one!), but it’s true. In fact, you Chiefs fans reading this should be better aware of this than anyone else – because Chad Pennington’s first NFL start was against Kansas City in 2002.

That’s right. “Herm the Conservative,” connoisseur of field goals, lover of third-down running plays and author of the now-infamous quote “Any drive that ends in a kick is a good thing,” shoved a young quarterback into the limelight with abandon, risking a team that made the playoffs the year prior.

And what did Pennington do? Only complete nearly 70 percent of his passes with 22 touchdowns and a mere six interceptions. The Jets won the AFC East and a playoff game that year, so yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus – or in this case, a chance the Chiefs might win more than four or five games with Brodie Croyle starting this year, in between stocking shelves during his night shift at Price Chopper while being mistaken weekly for Cleo Lemon.

And no, I’m not predicting the Chiefs will do anything with Croyle at the helm in 2007. He very well could be the next Matt Blundin or Pat Barnes or Mike Elkins.

But let’s not throw in the towel just yet. To paraphrase the immortal words of John Lennon:

“All we are saying…is give Croyle a chance.”
I'm reminded of the fact that a lot of Chiefs fans were similarly doubtful of Huard's ability to step up and fill Trent's shoes. And we all saw how that played out. I don't expect to see Croyle starting this year, despite what Herm has said (but we'll know in a few months), short of Damon Huard going down or getting traded, but it might well be worthwhile to prime him as a 2nd stringer for now, as Damon probably doesn't have that many years left in him.

RealSNR
05-11-2007, 06:27 PM
We also played a shitty NFCW division with a Hasselbeck and Alexander-less Seahawks and OAK will be better this season after squeaking by them last season. We are starting a rookie QB, I guess to you that accounts to nothing.Oakland's the only team starting a rookie. Croyle has had a year in the playbook and NFL experience. Plus, he has a brain. Russell is dumb as a post and it will be his first season in the NFL.

Easy 6
05-11-2007, 06:41 PM
To hell with it, lets get King Kong in there...homerism be damned, mark my words...this D is gonna keep us in & win a lot of games for us this year.

We can argue about it until Whitlock looks like Richard Pryor.

milkman
05-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Oakland's the only team starting a rookie. Croyle has had a year in the playbook and NFL experience. Plus, he has a brain. Russell is dumb as a post and it will be his first season in the NFL.

Oakland will probably start McCown, at least to start out the season.

redsurfer11
05-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Why is there no respect for Cleo Lemon? Cleo has looked good the last few preseasons.

Easy 6
05-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Why is there no respect for Cleo Lemon? Cleo has looked good the last few preseasons.

And the Faders were undefeated in the pre-season...

Chief Roundup
05-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Has anyone heard anymore about the battery case that Terry is facing?
Wasn't this the reason that he was suspended for a year from the NFL?
Either way I doubt that we have Terry all season unless they somehow drag it out in court and then maybe the suspension will be next season.

I am afraid that this line could actually be worse with an injury/suspension or 2. If we lose Terry and McIntosh I think we would be much worse if that is possible because it was bad.

Hammock Parties
05-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Has anyone heard anymore about the battery case that Terry is facing?

Yes. Do a search on threads started by smed1065.

Chief Roundup
05-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Lets not forget about Welbourns' ability to NOT stay clear of the roids, or his ability to NOT stay healthy.

Hammock Parties
05-12-2007, 11:33 AM
When has Welbourn been hurt?

Micjones
05-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Panic has set in and Chiefs fans aren't thinking rationally anymore.

McIntosh is easily an improvement at LT.
Wiegmann will return at C.
Waters is an All-Pro Guard.
Welbourn is returning to his natural spot and will be an improvement over a declining Shields.

There is a bit of concern at the RT spot.
Terry has the legal situation hanging over his head and Sampson hasn't been able to stay healthy, but have all of you forgotten about Will Svitek?

His legs will be fresher this season.
He won't have another season in NFL Europe to wear him down.

I think he'll win the starting job at RT and this will be a better offensive line than last season.

Hammock Parties
05-12-2007, 11:46 AM

Huh? This doesn't exactly go with the rest of your post.

Micjones
05-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Sure it does.

The offensive line will be improved this season.
There is simply no way to ignore that fact.
We have an upgrade at the LT and RG spots already. We've already gotten better at two different positions on the line.

That could turn out to be a third if Terry avoids jail time and/or a suspension or Will Svitek wins the job...

Fire Me Boy!
05-12-2007, 12:09 PM
This isn't plagiarism - he's not taking credit for somebody else's words.

But he's using those people's words without their permission, and that's not kosher.
You don't have to have permission to quote someone. On this board you have no reasonable expectation of privacy. This place is no different than if you were speaking on a street corner. He didn't use unauthorized wire taps to get the quote.

He put marked the quote with " ", denoting he didn't originate the idea. It's kosher.

Now... if he took that quote from someone's PM, that would NOT be kosher.

TRR
05-12-2007, 12:27 PM
I too think KC's O Line will be much improved. There are some sticking points, i.e Welbourn not getting suspended again, Terry staying out of jail, and Sampson being able to stay healthy. However, as others have said, it can't be as bad as last season. Jordan Black got beaten repeatedly all year long, Shields had a horrible season IMHO, and RT was a mess the entire year.

LT is improved, but we don't know how much.
RG has improved with John Welbourn there.
RT will be solidified by either Terry, Sampson or Svitek. They will target the best guy out of that group.

Hammock Parties
05-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Sure it does.

The offensive line will be improved this season.
There is simply no way to ignore that fact.
We have an upgrade at the LT and RG spots already. We've already gotten better at two different positions on the line.

That could turn out to be a third if Terry avoids jail time and/or a suspension or Will Svitek wins the job...

Nevermind. I thought you said "The Chiefs," not "Chiefs fans."

milkman
05-12-2007, 04:47 PM

McIntosh is easily an improvement at LT.
Better than bad does not equal good.

Wiegmann will return at C.
Wiegman was better suited to the Saunders scheme that the power run scheme we are utilizing now.
He's a liability in this scheme.

Waters is an All-Pro Guard.
No debate here.

Welbourn is returning to his natural spot and will be an improvement over a declining Shields.
Assuming he doesn't use steroids and get suspended again.

There is a bit of concern at the RT spot.
Terry has the legal situation hanging over his head and Sampson hasn't been able to stay healthy, but have all of you forgotten about Will Svitek?

His legs will be fresher this season.
He won't have another season in NFL Europe to wear him down.

I think he'll win the starting job at RT and this will be a better offensive line than last season.

RT is a huge question mark.
Terry was pretty good in Seattle, but may not be avilable.
Sampson can't keep his mangina from hurting, and Svitek has only shown that he's NFLE quality, thus far.

The O-Line might be improved, but until we see who's at RT, and how they perform, we don't really know with any certainty that it will be improved.

It may well be weaker overall, with only a little more cosistency at LT.

In the end, I don't really care.
This team is retooling and rebuilding.

By the time that the '09 season starts, the only holdovers at any position from the Dick era will likley be DJ, LJ, TG and Brian Waters.

And LJ is debatable.

Ugly Duck
05-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Croyle’s NFL touchdown passes have all been scored to the opposition.

That has a very nice ring to it.....

Hammock Parties
05-12-2007, 07:19 PM
That has a very nice ring to it.....

No wonder this got posted on Silver and Black Illustrated...

Hammock Parties
05-12-2007, 07:21 PM
By the time that the '09 season starts, the only holdovers at any position from the Dick era will likley be DJ, LJ, TG and Brian Waters.

And LJ is debatable.

Very true. His ascension to Godhood could come at any time. We know not when his metamorphosis into a being of pure energy will take place.

Fire Me Boy!
05-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Very true. His ascension to Godhood could come at any time. We know not when his metamorphosis into a being of pure energy will take place.
I'm thinking it will be a Thursday.

Hammock Parties
05-12-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm thinking it will be a Thursday.

If so, when it happens, from that day forward, Thursdays will be known as "Larryday."

keg in kc
05-12-2007, 07:26 PM
If so, when it happens, from that day forward, Thursdays will be known as "Larryday."I prefer 'chumpday'. A great way to follow up 'humpday'.

penchief
05-12-2007, 07:27 PM
"All we are saaaaaaaayinnnng........is give Croyle a chance"

On a serious note, I think Croyle has what it takes, mentally and leadershipwise. The key is whether or not he has what it takes to play in the NFL physically. I hope like heck he does because if that is the case, we're in for a few good years (IMO).

Fire Me Boy!
05-12-2007, 07:29 PM
If so, when it happens, from that day forward, Thursdays will be known as "Larryday."
The day we all worship the Johnson?

luv
05-12-2007, 07:31 PM
:shake:

Fire Me Boy!
05-12-2007, 07:32 PM
:shake:
Yeah, side-to-side. That feels good.

Hammock Parties
05-12-2007, 07:35 PM

Larryday is commemorated by burning diaper incense at the appropriate shrine and then pistol-whipping the nearest female.

Ugly Duck
05-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Russell is dumb as a post

Huh? In spite of a free ride on his athleticism, he still made the effort to achieve admission to the All-SEC Academic Honor Roll. Scored the same on the Wonderlic as Brodie Croyle. Average score for a QB is 24, average for all positions is 20.

26 Jay Cutler
24 Jamarcus Russell
24 Brodie Croyle
16 Vince Young

Are you just assuming that, because he's black, he's "dumb as a post?" He's a very bright young man.... dunno where you get that "dumb as a post" stuff....

Hammock Parties
05-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Watch an interview with the guy. He's not very bright.

My sources say he had the wonderlic answers written on his arm.

Ugly Duck
05-12-2007, 08:19 PM
My sources say he had the wonderlic answers written on his arm.

Plus all the answers it would take to get on the SEC Honor Roll? Hey now... I've heard he may have the biggest arm of all time, but thats a hella lotta answers to put on a dang arm. There's been some knocks on the guy, but "dumb as a post" is unique to the Planet. I'm wondering... is SNR "your sources?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaZ-8svYalg

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1h2m2_jamarcus-russell