PDA

View Full Version : The Drink of the Gods

CosmicPal
05-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Sake, often called the "Drink of the Gods" in Japan, is one of the most natural beverages on earth. It is made from only rice, water, yeast and koji-kin, a mold-producing enzyme, and, unlike grape-wines, contains no sulfites. Health-wise, sake also strengthens the cardiovascular system; promotes a healthy eating style since it is best served with fresh or lightly-prepared foods; and, in its premium forms, is virtually hangover-free! PBJ

Brewed like a beer but served like a wine, sake rice wines have over 400 flavor components compared with the 200 flavor components of grape wines. A sake brew master can choose from among 60 varieties of rice, many of which only grow in specific regions in Japan and which therefore have region-specific characteristics (like the terroir of grape wines made in Europe, for example). The final product has a relatively clean taste and much lower acidity than a French wine. However, alcohol content is often in the 15-17 percent range, which surpasses most table wines and puts sake into the same content-level category as fortified wines such as Spanish sherries. Finished sakes can be either sweet or dry and often exhibit flavors much more subtle than grape wine flavors, which can make food-pairing a real challenge or a real delight, depending upon the sommelier.

4th and Long
05-11-2007, 01:09 PM
I had sake once. The operative word is, ONCE. :Lin:

the Talking Can
love it

Baby Lee
And you can drink it hot, which gets you blasted QUICK!!

POND_OF_RED
05-11-2007, 01:10 PM
hmmmmm...I always thought everclear was the drink of the Gods cause everytime I used to drink it I would speak in tongues...

Stewie
05-11-2007, 01:11 PM
I thought it was Mead.

CosmicPal
05-11-2007, 01:15 PM
And you can drink it hot, which gets you blasted QUICK!!

Really? :hmmm:

I always drink it hot. I prefer it that way, but how does drinking it hot make you get drunk faster?

Simply Red
05-11-2007, 01:17 PM

I always drink it hot. I prefer it that way, but how does drinking it hot make you get drunk faster?
absorbtion

4th and Long
05-11-2007, 01:18 PM

It doesn't. Unlike other liquids, which pass through the intestine, alcohol is absorbed directly through the stomach lining. Everything else you've read about what you eat, what you drink, the temp of the drink, etc., is pure bullshit.

CoMoChief
05-11-2007, 01:18 PM
hmmmmm...I always thought everclear was the drink of the Gods cause everytime I used to drink it I would speak in tongues...

U comin in town tonite?

Simply Red
05-11-2007, 01:19 PM
It doesn't. Unlike other liquids, which pass through the intestine, alcohol is absorbed directly through the stomach lining. Everything else you've read about what you eat, what you drink, the temp of the drink, etc., is pure bullshit.
BullSHIT!

Monty
05-11-2007, 01:20 PM
I've had it.....it was ok....I had it served hot and it reminded me of a hot toddy. :)

Baby Lee
05-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Heat hastens the unbinding of alcohol from H2O.

vailpass
05-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Sake bombers.....yummy!!!

4th and Long
05-11-2007, 01:27 PM
BullSHIT!
While alcohol is absorbed through the lining of the small intestine, it is first absorbed through the mucous membrane before reaching the small intestine. Go back to school and learn something.

4th and Long
05-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Is the temperature of the stomach not constant? :D

Baby Lee
05-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Is the temperature of the stomach not constant? :D
Not if a hot liquid is ingested.

Stewie
05-11-2007, 01:43 PM

Alcohol and water don't bind. They are, however, miscible.

StcChief
05-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Meade... http://www.meadmadecomplicated.org/

Dave Lane
05-11-2007, 02:01 PM
While alcohol is absorbed through the lining of the small intestine, it is first absorbed through the mucous membrane before reaching the small intestine. Go back to school and learn something.

The rate a which a chemical reaction occurs is doubled for approximately every 10 C the temperature of the reaction is heated.

Hence you will get a buzz fastest. My thanks to physical chemistry for the tidbit.

Dave

Zebedee DuBois
05-11-2007, 04:21 PM
The rate a which a chemical reaction occurs is doubled for approximately every 10 C the temperature of the reaction is heated.

Hence you will get a buzz fastest. My thanks to physical chemistry for the tidbit.

Dave

Your point is valid, but I really think a 10 degree C difference would bring a lot of pain to the human stomach.

An alternative explantation could be that the heated alcohol is vaporized and inhalation of the fumes allows the alcohol to enter the bloodstream much more rapidly through the lungs. Darn huffers.

Sure-Oz
05-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Never had sake, i think my gf wants me to try some next time we get sushi (i hate that shit)

elvomito
05-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Your point is valid, but I really think a 10 degree C difference would bring a lot of pain to the human stomach.

An alternative explantation could be that the heated alcohol is vaporized and inhalation of the fumes allows the alcohol to enter the bloodstream much more rapidly through the lungs. Darn huffers.i tried vodka through a nebulizer. i'll stick with ingestion

love some sake at the japanese steakhouse though

KC Dan
05-11-2007, 06:27 PM
I guess the sake that we drank last night here in Tokyo was not quite pure. I had a terrible headache about 2 hours ago when I woke up. I am going to try and find some good sake to take home tomorrow. Going out to a J-League soccer match in 4 hours...

Eleazar
05-11-2007, 06:30 PM
I have a grand total of one shot of sake on my lifetime resume, and I don't anticipate adding to that total. ever...