PDA

View Full Version : Dwayne Bowe Needs a Watch!

blackhawk
05-13-2007, 10:15 AM
Dwayne Bowe Needs a Watch
Posted May 13th 2007 9:47AM by Ryan Wilson
Filed under: Chiefs, AFC West
Dwayne Bowe might want to get his hands on a time machine:
Kansas City's first-round draft pick began his professional career by showing up 30 minutes late for his first practice. Stretching exercises and coach Herm Edwards' welcoming remarks were finished by the time [Bowe] hurried onto the field for the opening session of a three-day rookie minicamp.

Then the 6-foot-3 Bowe, who described himself on draft day as "intimidating," proceeded to drop several passes.
To be fair, I've heard Edwards' welcoming remarks, and Bowe was right to miss them. So what reason would a rookie have for being late to his second day of practice? Apparently, he "had some things to do."

Edwards seemed to have a little more in the way of specifics, though his reasons don't make the situation any less ridiculous:
"I don't know. I think he had a shoe problem... That's what those big guys have. You know, when they get those big contracts they don't know what shoes to wear, I guess. I don't know. But he was here. He started practicing. He was in the drills. He dropped some balls and I told him relax..."
Yeah, Edwards really sounds like he's into this whole coaching thing. Now, maybe the head coach ripped Bowe a new one out of they prying eyes of the camera, but to read his comments, you get the impression Edwards wasn't too concerned. Maybe it's not a big deal -- though I think every other NFL coach would disagree -- I mean, Bowe did finally show up. Even if he didn't catch a lot of passes. At least he got the shoes right.

DaFace
05-13-2007, 10:17 AM
Link?

Here's a more thorough article on the first day. Bowe WAS late, but it doesn't sound like it was a big deal.

For what it's worth, there are videos of Bowe's first day on the web site.

http://www.kansascity.com/160/story/105121.html

Bowe makes debut
Chiefs’ No. 1 pick shows some nerves at rookie camp but also displays talent with tough catches.
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, the Chiefs’ No. 1 draft pick, took a breather during his first practice with the team on Saturday. Coaches got a chance Saturday to see rookie receiver Dwayne Bowe in a Chiefs uniform.

For the record, the first pass pattern Dwayne Bowe ran for the Chiefs was nothing spectacular, a simple 5-yard sideline route in an individual drill. He caught the ball and dragged both of his feet before his momentum carried him out of bounds, earning an enthusiastic shout of “Good job” from receivers coach Charlie Joiner.

The rest of Bowe’s Chiefs debut at rookie camp Saturday wasn’t quite as smooth. He was late by 20 minutes for the start of the morning practice — “Had to tie up a few things,” he said later — and clearly wasn’t comfortable once he arrived.

“He was a little tight,” Joiner said. “He’ll be better. He’ll settle down. He had a little bit of anxiety.”

In brief flashes, Bowe showed why the Chiefs made him their first-round draft pick.

He displayed an outstanding ability to adjust to poorly thrown passes and made a couple of catches that perhaps only he among Chiefs receivers could have made.

But he also dropped a couple of easier throws and later acknowledged feeling overwhelmed.

“The first day, you’re always going to feel like that,” he said. “It’s like coming in as a freshman in college. Going against new guys. New quarterbacks. Not knowing whether the timing was going to be there or not.

“The coaches told me to loosen up. I told them I feel like a freshman out here. They said I was going to feel like that for the first couple of days. They told me to calm down and play like I was at LSU.”

At LSU, Bowe played with strong-armed quarterback JaMarcus Russell, chosen by Oakland as the first pick in the draft.

On Saturday, the passers were a couple of NFL wannabes, Jeff Terrell and Josh Swogger.

Both are undrafted rookies. Terrell, from Princeton, was signed by the Chiefs last week. Swogger, from Montana, was rented by the Chiefs just for the duration of the camp.

Their throws were frequently off target, frustrating Bowe. After one such pass, he shouted to Swogger, “Come on, get it to me.”

“All I can do is run routes and catch the ball,” Bowe explained later. “Quarterbacks are going to change. Different quarterbacks, some throw it this way and some throw it that way. All I’ve got to do is worry about catching the ball.”

If he can, Bowe will energize a group of wide receivers that includes veteran Eddie Kennison and no other established players. Samie Parker’s hold on the other starting job is tentative.

The Chiefs also have young receivers with potential in Jeff Webb and Chris Hannon, but the opportunity to play is available to Bowe. He could wind up starting the Sept. 9 season opener against the Texans in Houston.

“He’s going to have to play, period,” coach Herm Edwards said. “How much he plays, I don’t know that yet. He’s going to be in a rotation system. He brings a lot to the table.”

His ability as a receiver is only part of what attracted the Chiefs to Bowe. At 221 pounds, he is the largest of their receivers and uses his weight well.

“He’s an offensive guy with a defensive attitude,” Edwards said. “He does all of those dirty things wide receiver don’t want to do.

“He’ll block. You can line him up in the slot and still run the ball. He’s like a tight end. He’ll go block the linebackers. He’s not afraid to come across the middle. He’ll make the tough catch, and the safety will hit him in the face and he’ll come right back across the middle again. He’ll do that kind of nasty stuff.”

•Running back Kolby Smith, a fifth-round draft pick, wasn’t at practice. The Chiefs said he was attending his college graduation ceremony at Louisville.

Delano
05-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Link?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=162961

Messier
05-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Thank you Mr. Peterson for another crappy draft! Kevin Kietzman is right, the Royals and Chiefs are almost the same team.

Delano
05-13-2007, 10:24 AM
IMO Bowe would be making a much bigger splash if his mother lived in Africa.

Delano
05-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Thank you Mr. Peterson for another crappy draft! Kevin Kietzman is right, the Royals and Chiefs are almost the same team.

It has panned out that way hasn't it? :rolleyes:

Bwana
05-13-2007, 10:26 AM

:spock:

So let me see if I have this right. The guy is late for one practice and it's a "crappy draft?" How nice to have Miss Clo here posting on the board!

Messier
05-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Well, judging by articles that I've seen and by watching NBC ACTION SPORTS! Bowe is a bust.

Delano
05-13-2007, 10:30 AM
Well, judging by articles that I've seen and by watching NBC ACTION SPORTS! Bowe is a bust.

And that is why you are not a member of any team's scouting staff.

blackhawk
05-13-2007, 10:34 AM
http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/05/13/dwayne-bowe-needs-a-watch/

StcChief
05-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Chill.... He'll be fine, if not call him bust in 2 years.

Bugeater
05-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Wow. I'm all for a good Carl pile-on, but can we at least wait for this guy to play in an actual game before we do so?

Easy 6
05-13-2007, 10:46 AM
For the love of humanity, we'll be lucky to win 1 game this year, Bowes gotta go...

Hammock Parties
05-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Excused absence, dumbasses.

Easy 6
05-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Excused absence, dumbasses.

Get some tech support over there to check the sarcasm meter for some peoples posts.

RealSNR
05-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Well, judging by articles that I've seen and by watching NBC ACTION SPORTS! Bowe is a bust.Well, judging by the two posts you've just written, I assume you have Down's Syndrome. But that would be unfair, wouldn't it?

htismaqe
05-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Man, people need to get some batteries for their sarcasm meters...

dj56dt58
05-13-2007, 11:29 AM
He has the attitude I like in receivers...sounds like he's got some swagger.

milkman
05-13-2007, 11:34 AM

But did he catch any Swogger?

Hammock Parties
05-13-2007, 11:35 AM

This is the flava clown I've been waiting fooooooooooor...gonna be a bright, bright, bright, bright sunshiny daaaaaaaay!

htismaqe
05-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Teicher says 20 minutes, these other clowns say 30.

So which is it?

And why does it matter if he was excused?

Hammock Parties
05-13-2007, 11:44 AM
And why does it matter if he was excused?

Excused is better than just showing up late without a good reason.

blackhawk
05-13-2007, 11:47 AM
http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/contest2006-display/contest2006-honorable-09.jpg

htismaqe
05-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Excused is better than just showing up late without a good reason.

Of course it is. He was apparently excused, so I fail to see why this matters.

Unless people are searching for any reason to be critical...

blueballs
05-13-2007, 12:03 PM
ijt's clear he has some kind of degenerative foot problem
and they had problems fitting his nearly club foot

stlchiefs
05-13-2007, 12:28 PM
blackhawk you have consistently shown yourself as the worst thread starter I've seen. Has this not been stated before in another thread? Why not post there?

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2007, 12:35 PM
NBC Action Sports did not say he was a bust, nor did they imply it. They stated that he was late (which was excused, also reported) and that he dropped a lot of balls, due to nervousness.

Easy 6
05-13-2007, 12:45 PM
This is all a non-story.

Absence = Excused

Dropped Balls vs. Reports that he looked excellent adjusting to & catching poor throws.

LiL stumppy
05-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Ha, and it begins.

milkman
05-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Ha, and it begins.

What begins?

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2007, 01:05 PM
This is all a non-story.

Absence = Excused

Dropped Balls vs. Reports that he looked excellent adjusting to & catching poor throws.
It's possible he did both. Dropped a lot of balls, but made some good catches.

Easy 6
05-13-2007, 01:05 PM
What begins?

My guess is that he means lots of needless, unfounded pessimism & teeth gnashing over any blurb, rumor or report.

Easy 6
05-13-2007, 01:07 PM
It's possible he did both. Dropped a lot of balls, but made some good catches.

Thats what i'm saying, but to hear some of the reactions to these reports, you'd think he fell on his face every time he took off running.

Easy 6
05-13-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm not the least bit worried.

Iowanian
05-13-2007, 01:53 PM

"I know, and it reminds me that Feline Luekemia is the number one killer of domestic cats"

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/0/04/250px-Racheldratchdebbie.jpg

You think its just a liiiiiiiiiittle bit early to call him a bust, sport?

Oh Snap
05-13-2007, 02:18 PM
this reminded me of that one ESPN commercial where the guy is always talking out of his ass..

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm posting this in all the rookie camp threads. New video posted at http://www.nbcactionnews.com/sports/default.aspx. Focus is on Bowe this time, not the MU kid.

DaneMcCloud
05-13-2007, 03:11 PM
I KNEW it! We have plenty of great receivers in the wings. The Chiefs should have drafted a guard or running back (in case LJ holds) out or even a TE (in case Tony gets hurt).

What a waste. The Chiefs will lose as many games as the Royals this year! Arghhhhhh!

KCChiefsMan
05-13-2007, 03:16 PM

I would stop talking before you make yourself sound even more idiotic

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2007, 03:19 PM
I think he was being sarcastic, saying that the articles and NBC Action Sports were all gloom and doom.

:shrug:

DaneMcCloud
05-13-2007, 03:19 PM

Don't you know if you're drafted by the Chiefs and the Carl Peterson regime, you're automatically guilty of being a first-round bust? Even after the first practice.

Get with the program, Man!

Smed1065
05-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Of course it is. He was apparently excused, so I fail to see why this matters.

Unless people are searching for any reason to be critical...

My only concern is what was it he had to do on a Saturday that he could not have done on Friday or Tuesday?

Its no big deal, just wondered.

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2007, 03:25 PM
My only concern is what was it he had to do on a Saturday that he could not have done on Friday or Tuesday?

Its no big deal, just wondered.
Herm said something about a shoe problem... I couldn't tell if he was being serious or making light of the situation.

DaneMcCloud
05-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Herm said something about a shoe problem... I couldn't tell if he was being serious or making light of the situation.

I think he was hanging out with this guy, which is what led to his shoe problems.

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2007, 03:30 PM
I think he was hanging out with this guy, which is what led to his shoe problems.
I think it was this guy: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/3820.

Smed1065
05-13-2007, 03:32 PM

I thought maybe he stopped by Bannister mall and got mugged while shopping for shoes, that is why he was nervous as well?

Messier
05-13-2007, 03:45 PM
I think he was being sarcastic, saying that the articles and NBC Action Sports were all gloom and doom.

:shrug:

Bingo.

cdcox
05-13-2007, 04:57 PM

He probably barfed on them and had to change into a clean pair.

KCChiefsMan
05-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Bingo.

damn, I'm usually pretty good at sensing sarcasm too

Mr. Flopnuts
05-13-2007, 09:00 PM
What begins?

Iiiit you fool!!!!! Iiiiit begins. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA