PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Camp Report: Day 1

Hammock Parties
05-13-2007, 11:13 AM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/643622.html

In the NFL a rookie’s first impression is critical – especially if you’re a highly-touted first-round draft pick. Saturday morning, the Chiefs’ first selection made his debut on the practice field. It was a mixed bag to say the least, but showing up late isn’t the best way to start off your career.

When head coach Herm Edwards was asked about the late arrival of Dwayne Bowe, he didn’t have much to say. He only shrugged his shoulders and made a subtle comment indicating the young LSU receiver best not do that again anytime soon.

After missing the early stretching period, Bowe was quickly thrown into drills, where he struggled to catch the simplest of passes. At times, he could have used an extra pair of hands to secure the ball.

Part of those struggles were attributed to the young quarterbacks throwing the errant passes. Princeton quarterback Jeff Terrell wasn’t exactly lighting it up.

“The first day is always going to feel like coming in as a freshman in college,” said Bowe. “Once you get into the system you are in there and you are good to go.”

Bowe was far smoother in the afternoon practice, but his best talent became clear quickly.

He has tremendous ability to catch the ball over the middle. It’s when he has to dance around the sidelines and make a possession catch and get out of bounds that he struggles.

It’s almost like the sideline is standing in his way. He has to catch the ball in open spaces. He’s big and physical – you could argue he has a tight end’s body. He’s not fast, but he does have great hands.

He also needs to work on extending his hands and catching the ball away from his body. Too often he let the ball hit him in the stomach or chest, resulting in bobbles.

Wide receivers coach Charlie Joiner has some work to do with Bowe. I also think it’ll be important for a veteran like Eddie Kennison to assist in his development.

Bowe has a swagger that could be misconstrued by some as arrogance. I imagine when the veterans show up next week, he’ll be knocked down a peg or two.

Other Notes:

Tight end Michael Allan struggled early, but got into a rhythm in the second practice, catching nearly everything thrown his way. He needs to get physically tougher, but has solid hands and ran great routes. So did second-year man Keith Willis, who reminds me of Jason Dunn.

Tackle Ramiro Pruneda is a big man who held his ground in seven-on-seven drills. He moved better than I expected, considering he played in the Mexican League, but he’s still a project. Wideout Brad Ekwerekwu from Missouri had a solid day. He’s drawn some praise from his head coach, which bodes well for his chances to stick through a good part of training camp.

Kicker Justin Medlock has probably the strongest leg I’ve seen in quite some time. He was nervous and missed some kicks, but his sweeping left-footed kick produces a distinctive sound when he strikes the ball. He’s going to give Lawrence Tynes a battle.

Defensive tackle Tank Tyler was very impressive. He overmatched every offensive lineman the Chiefs threw at him Saturday. Don’t be surprised if he’s working with the first-string defense early in mini camp.

CoMoChief
05-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Tank Tyler will be good someday, we were lucky to have him drop as far as he did.

siberian khatru
05-13-2007, 11:21 AM
BUST

htismaqe
05-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Medlock is gonna give Tynes a battle?

At best TYNES is gonna give MEDLOCK a battle.

blueballs
05-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Redrum's mom strikes again
weak in the knees and late
is no way to start practice

htismaqe
05-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Redrum's mom strikes again
weak in the knees and late
is no way to start practice

His absence was excused.

chagrin
05-13-2007, 11:54 AM
BUST

Who's the bust?

blueballs
05-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Welcum wagon

Easy 6
05-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Every fiber of my being hopes Tank is starting next to Boone on day 1.

Chiefnj2
05-13-2007, 12:51 PM
No Turk news?

blueballs
05-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Turk is practicing
knocking on doors

Eric
05-13-2007, 01:09 PM
WTF.

Where is the 2nd round pick damn it!

Hammock Parties
05-13-2007, 01:34 PM
No Turk news?

I was told earlier he was practicing at RDE.

Ugly Duck
05-13-2007, 01:37 PM
he struggled to catch the simplest of passes.

Bowe benefitted from having Astounding Amazing Phenom Jamarcus Russell be the guy delivering perfect spirals right on the mark. Those LSU WRs won't be so hot when they have to catch average passes from mere mortals. Not to worry.... they might be able to learn to catch passes from normal QBs - although there might be an adjustment period.

Tribal Warfare
05-13-2007, 01:38 PM
He also needs to work on extending his hands and catching the ball away from his body. Too often he let the ball hit him in the stomach or chest, resulting in bobbles.

this line is bothersome

Hammock Parties
05-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Russell benefitted from having Astounding Amazing Phenom Dwayne Bowe beating defenders left and right. That LSU QB won't be so hot when he has to throw passes to mere mortals. Not to worry.... he might be able to learn to throw passes to normal WRs - although there might be an adjustment period.

BigRock
05-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Nick acting like he can tell a player's strengths and weaknesses based on one day of seeing them practice is downright adorable. And by adorable I mean I'm going to throw up.

Ugly Duck
05-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Russell benefitted from having Astounding Amazing Phenom Dwayne Bowe beating defenders left and right. That LSU QB won't be so hot when he has to throw passes to mere mortals. Not to worry.... he might be able to learn to throw passes to normal WRs - although there might be an adjustment period.

Then how do you explain Bowe having such success catching passes from Russell, but now he can't catch "even the simplest pass" from the KC QBs?

Hammock Parties
05-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Then how do you explain Bowe having such success catching passes from Russell, but now he can't catch "even the simplest pass" from the KC QBs?

Shut up bitch.

chagrin
05-13-2007, 02:13 PM
I don't see why this is such a huge deal, day 1 of rookie camp, he'll be okay. The article stated that many of the passes were thrown poorly, and as far as I am concerned, if he is going to excel at catching over the middle, that's great for us. Let TG go long, obviously he can do that too, heh.

Easy 6
05-13-2007, 02:13 PM

You dont think Russell is gonna struggle his first few days in a pro camp???

I bet he does.

Ugly Duck
05-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Shut up bitch.

Pooby pants!

Pitt Gorilla
05-13-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm telling you guys, Eck has a real chance to make the team. He's a physical specimen and a smart kid.

keg in kc
05-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Then how do you explain Bowe having such success catching passes from Russell, but now he can't catch "even the simplest pass" from the KC QBs?Judging from the video, the problem is that he's only 6'2, instead of 7'2.

Hammock Parties
05-13-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm telling you guys, Eck has a real chance to make the team. He's a physical specimen and a smart kid.

I'm hopeful. I love big wide receivers. Can you be a little more specific? What did he do at Missouri?

Ugly Duck
05-13-2007, 02:29 PM

I bet he does.

He did. Guy is so used to the shotgun that he fumbled some snaps...

John Clayton of ESPN on Russell's minicamp:

Russell gave me some flashbacks to Bradshaw. Some of his long throws Friday were held up a little by the wind, but Russell throws mostly spirals and throws them with both touch and velocity. As with Bradshaw, Elway and other strong-arm quarterbacks, the ball explodes off Russell's big right hand.

"Somebody hired a Jugs machine and put a jersey on it," wide receiver Jerry Porter joked. "Man, he can throw. I can see why he's the first overall pick. One word -- wow."

Russell's best throw was a square-in pass -- about 15 yards downfield -- to Louisiana Tech rookie receiver Johnathan Holland. Six hands from three Raiders defenders reached for the perfectly thrown spiral. Their mission was hopeless. Only a cement wall would have stopped this completion. Holland caught the ball in stride with his hands.

Sapp joked after practice that No. 18 [Holland] probably needed a rubdown after that reception.

"If nothing else, we're going to learn to catch with our hands or somebody's going to the hospital for some trauma," Sapp said. "That kid's got a live arm, so let's have some fun with it."

"But he throws a catchable ball," Holland said about Russell. "It's a tight spiral, and it's coming right at you. He's got great arm delivery."

Russell's height helps receivers. He stands tall in the pocket, and his delivery makes life easier for those catching. Even though he's 6-6, Russell releases the ball at about 6-8, giving receivers an extra half-second to spot the ball and pick up on its rotation.

Like so many of the great throwers, he understands the mechanics of throwing. He's athletic enough to set up quickly. His legs naturally fall into place directly below the width of his shoulders. By doing that, Russell is always in position to throw if a defender closes in. The positioning of his feet allows him to put the power of his 254-pound frame on his throws.

New Raiders coach Lane Kiffin doesn't have to work much with Russell's mechanics. But that doesn't mean the Raiders start with a finished product. About twice a practice this weekend, Russell pulled out of center a little early and fumbled snaps. A few times, he threw to areas where no receiver was present, a miscommunication that has to be worked out in time.

"On one, it was the receiver and myself doing the wrong thing," Russell said. "It happens when you're starting new things. As far as the new guy, being hip to all that, you just try to get adjusted to different things."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2862676

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm posting this in all the rookie camp threads. New video posted at http://www.nbcactionnews.com/sports/default.aspx. Focus is on Bowe this time, not the MU kid.

Pitt Gorilla
05-13-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm hopeful. I love big wide receivers. Can you be a little more specific? What did he do at Missouri?Not a lot. He played his true freshman year, but he had an injury that kept him out of quite a few games, IIRC. For each of his first three years, Brad Smith was the QB and MU didn't pass a ton. His senior season, he only caught 32 passes, but he averaged 13.4 yards per catch. He was also hauling in the passes that didn't go to two future NFL TE's and a future NFL receiver (Franklin). These are all excuses and I don't know how much weight they should carry; good players have to make plays and he didn't make a ton. It will be interesting to see what he does in a completely different system, such as the one KC will be running. It probably suits his talents better.

OctoberFart
05-13-2007, 06:53 PM

I bet he does.

Do I think he will? He already did. Threw like a typical rookie.