PDA

View Full Version : Tank and Turk Article

Tribal Warfare
05-13-2007, 10:05 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chiefs-tankandturk&prov=ap&type=lgns

Chiefs' line looking good to Tank and Turk

By DOUG TUCKER, AP Sports Writer
May 13, 2007

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- If Paul Tagliabue had put off retirement just one more year, Tank Tyler might be a richer man today.

That's one way to look at it. Another is to just say he messed up and got in trouble and dropped to the third round of the NFL draft after Roger Goodell, Tagliabue's successor, announced his crackdown on the "character issue."

The second way is how Tyler has chosen to view his world. What happened in a couple of incidents during his playing days at North Carolina State was his fault. He learned his lesson. Now, he's setting out to make the most of an excellent opportunity with Kansas City.

The Chiefs are greatly in need of what a 6-foot-2, 315-pound defensive tackle who bench-presses 510 pounds has to offer.

"I feel like I'm in a very good situation," Tyler said Sunday during a break in the Chiefs' three-day rookie minicamp. "The D-linemen who are here are great and I can learn from them. And I can come in and start playing right away, so I'm in a good position."

Help on the defensive line is one thing the Chiefs need. That's why they took versatile Turk McBride, a 6-2, 278-pounder from Tennessee in the second round and used their third-round pick on Tyler.

Both are certain to get plenty of opportunities, especially if they can put some pressure on the passer. That was something else the Chiefs were sorely lacking last year in Herm Edwards' first season as head coach.

If nothing else, the two rookies with the catchy nicknames will provide depth, allowing starting tackles James Reed and Ron Edwards to stay fresh.

"Obviously, they've got a lot of energy," Edwards said during a break in the hot-weather workouts.

"Last year a lot of young guys started playing for us, and that's the plan this year," Edwards said. "I think if you let them play, they get better as they play. So, yeah, if they do what they anticipate doing, they'll be in the rotation.

"You look at us last year, we were short a lot. Now, this year we should be a lot better there because we'll have more depth."

Tyler, in the opinion of some draft experts, might have been a late pick in the first round, or certainly a solid second-round choice. But he was disciplined for a spitting incident during a game at Southern Mississippi. And he was also linked to off-the-field controversy in an incident at a nightspot in Raleigh, N.C.

It was nothing major. But with Goodell making an issue of player misconduct, many clubs might have been scared off by off-the-field trouble.

If so, it was a tough break for Tank. There's a big difference between first-round money and third-round money.

But Tyler says he's not one to worry about what might have been.

He's not even going to say if that's what dragged him into the third round.

"Only the GMs and teams were in control of that. I'm not in control of that," he said. "I'm just happy I'm out here playing football and not sitting home. The people who have seen me play on ESPN and seen me play at North Carolina State, they've seen what type of defensive tackle I am. I think I'm a pretty good defensive tackle. I still have a long way to go and I have to work every day to become great.

"I had a couple of incidents that kept me down a little bit. But they didn't keep me down, they kept me moving forward. I go through things in life and I learn from it and that's what made me the man that I am today. I don't look back."

McBride played both tackle and defensive end at Tennessee, and the Chiefs have said he might be asked to maintain that versatility with them. But he might also get a chance to start the first four games at defensive end while Jared Allen sits out a suspension Goodell handed him for DUI convictions.

"Tank is a big, strong, powerful guy inside. He can run," Edwards said.

"McBride, we can have him at end. He's a pretty good end. He can really change direction and he can chase down the ball from the backside. He's got a lot of speed. Those are the things you saw in college, and they've done them out here in shorts."

McBride admits it would be easier if they just gave him one position and stuck to it. But that doesn't sound like it's going to happen.

"McBride can play on end on first and second down and then go inside and rush the passer," Edwards said. "We feel pretty good there. They've got to stay healthy and they've got to play good. But we've got some guys there who are pretty good players."

Dunit35
05-13-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm excited to see these two guys play.

Hoping they turn into decent players.

Direckshun
05-13-2007, 10:12 PM
I'm getting an uncomfortable feeling around McBride.

He said, on draft day, that he was looking forward to the opportunity to play one position. I don't think this is what he wants, and I hope he's good enough to make that transition...

Easy 6
05-14-2007, 06:24 AM
These 2 rooks still have a lot to prove, but man, i havent felt this good about the D line since the Marty days.

If all goes the way i think it will, we'll be needing to come up with a cool nickname for this group.

Drop yer cocks & grab yer socks AFCW, its about to get nasty.

htismaqe
05-14-2007, 08:12 AM
I'm getting an uncomfortable feeling around McBride.

He said, on draft day, that he was looking forward to the opportunity to play one position. I don't think this is what he wants, and I hope he's good enough to make that transition...

I feel the same way.

He's got what it takes to play DT. Let's not ruin him the same way we ruined Eddie Freeman.

crazycoffey
05-14-2007, 08:30 AM
I feel the same way.

He's got what it takes to play DT. Let's not ruin him the same way we ruined Eddie Freeman.

But who do you want to fill in for Mr. DWI? Bell? I understand your thoughts, but I am going to go on a limb and say, it wasn't all the chiefs fault that Eddie Freeman was "ruined".

If the coaches think Turk gives us a good chance at end for a few games, I'm down with it. With Allen back and hopefully happy with a new contract at year's end, then Turk can stay inside.

Thinking positively, I love the potential of Allen Turk Tank and Hali on our line.

htismaqe
05-14-2007, 08:34 AM
But who do you want to fill in for Mr. DWI? Bell? I understand your thoughts, but I am going to go on a limb and say, it wasn't all the chiefs fault that Eddie Freean was "ruined".

If the coaches think Turk gives us a good chance at end for a few games, I'm down with it. With Allen back and hopefully happy with a new contract at year's end, then Turk can stay inside.

Thinking positively, I love the potential of Allen Turk Tank and Hali on our line.

I don't have a problem with him filling in for Allen, as long as it's just 4 games.

But from the sounds of it, they envision using Turk in much the same way they use Wilkerson.

Easy 6
05-14-2007, 08:40 AM
I tend to agree with you guys here, Wilkerson should fill in those 4 games since he is already used to being a swingman & let the rook focus himself on DT.

crazycoffey
05-14-2007, 08:40 AM
I don't have a problem with him filling in for Allen, as long as it's just 4 games.

But from the sounds of it, they envision using Turk in much the same way they use Wilkerson.

Ahh, well then, good sir - I too am worried about that plan. I don't think allen or hali should come off the defensive field..... EVER.

mselley
05-14-2007, 08:56 AM
If all goes the way i think it will, we'll be needing to come up with a cool nickname for this group.

TnT ?

Easy 6
05-14-2007, 08:59 AM
TnT ?

Thats not too bad, but it leaves out one T & doesnt include Jared.

My personal thought is more along the lines of "Fearsome Foursome", "NY Sack Exchange" etc.

I hope they all prove worthy of one.

keg in kc
05-14-2007, 09:01 AM
If he's a good player, he'll find a way to make an impact. Maybe he'll be our Trevor Pryce.

htismaqe
05-14-2007, 09:05 AM
If he's a good player, he'll find a way to make an impact. Maybe he'll be our Trevor Pryce.

There's no doubt he's more talented than Wilkerson. I just hope that they allow him to realize his FULL potential.

keg in kc
05-14-2007, 09:07 AM
There's no doubt he's more talented than Wilkerson. I just hope that they allow him to realize his FULL potential.As you already know, don't make the mistake of assuming you know what (or where) that potential will be, in the long run. Maybe he's an end. Maybe he's a tackle. Maybe he's a flex player and he and Hali will be rotating all over the line for the next decade and we'll revolutionize defensive line play. Who knows. Time will tell.

htismaqe
05-14-2007, 09:12 AM
As you already know, don't make the mistake of assuming you know what (or where) that potential will be, in the long run. Maybe he's an end. Maybe he's a tackle. Maybe he's a flex player and he and Hali will be rotating all over the line for the next decade and we'll revolutionize defensive line play. Who knows. Time will tell.

Sure, I see where you're coming from.

I'm just of the opinion that alot of football (professional sports in general) is about getting into a zone. And it sounds like Turk is ALREADY out of his because he wants to play one position and they want to move him around...

Chiefnj
05-14-2007, 09:29 AM
There's no doubt he's more talented than Wilkerson. .

How is he more talented than Wilkerson?

I thought on draft day Claude said that he preferred to be outside and felt that would be his best position in the long run.

If they are going to play him at RDE the first 4 games then keep him there. Let him focus on that for a year.

He's relatively inexperienced. He only really started his senior year. Moving him all over the place is setting him up for failure.

Reminds me of Herm moving players on the DL years ago with the Jets. He moved Ellis to tackle for some bizarre reason and the move failed horribly.

htismaqe
05-14-2007, 09:47 AM
How is he more talented than Wilkerson?

Coming out of college, he is more talented than Wilkerson WAS when he was coming out of college, according to just about every scout out there.

If they are going to play him at RDE the first 4 games then keep him there. Let him focus on that for a year.

He's relatively inexperienced. He only really started his senior year. Moving him all over the place is setting him up for failure.

Reminds me of Herm moving players on the DL years ago with the Jets. He moved Ellis to tackle for some bizarre reason and the move failed horribly.

I absolutely agree with all of this.

Chiefnj
05-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Coming out of college, he is more talented than Wilkerson WAS when he was coming out of college, according to just about every scout out there.

I kind of disagree. Wilkerson was the "if he had stayed one more year he would have definately been a first round pick". Wilkerson was more accomplished in college starting 24 games in 3 years as opposed to Turk's 17 games in 4 years. Talent wise, I think they are pretty similar - raw kids with lots of potential.

boogblaster
05-14-2007, 10:45 AM
The TANK rolls on ...The TURK puts on a hurt ....

ct
05-14-2007, 11:08 AM
I kind of disagree. Wilkerson was the "if he had stayed one more year he would have definately been a first round pick". Wilkerson was more accomplished in college starting 24 games in 3 years as opposed to Turk's 17 games in 4 years. Talent wise, I think they are pretty similar - raw kids with lots of potential.

Yeah, and that other piece of Crap was a 1st round talent if not for his injury.

I like JW, but he's had 4 years now to develop the experience from skipping his Sr year @OU. I think we can put that "if he had stayed..." propaganda to bed now, don't you? He's a solid swing man, reserve type DLineman, drafted in the 6th round, a good pick considering his versatility, but let's not hype him anymore. He is what he is, a rotation guy.

tonyetony
05-14-2007, 11:12 AM
I've said it before but here you go:

High Karamba It's Tank, Turk and Tamba!

GoHuge
05-14-2007, 11:15 AM
One thing that is exciting to me is that we finally have the personnel to run a 34 or 43 considering these guys all work out. With our fast mobile LB's and believe it or not in a 34 Bell plays very well we could give opposing teams alot of different looks. It really all depends on whether or not Tank can play as a true nose tackle or ends up as a 3 technique.

When you look at the line......starting to look pretty solid.

LB's looking pretty solid.

With the two rookies at safety and the QB not having all day to throw the ball the secondary should be solid.

If everything pans out we should finally be back up in the top 10 in defense.

And as the Chief's luck goes, the Defense is ascending and the Offense looks to be going the opposite way. All these years of a dominant offense and now we'll be talking about the D. That is just fine with me. Of the two eras of Chief's one side of the ball dominance.....the offense was fun to watch, but the dominant defense took us to the playoffs almost every year. Bring on the D!

Mr. Laz
05-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Tank Tyler could be our best draft pick this year

Coogs
05-14-2007, 11:45 AM
To see Turk and Tank during practice, try this...

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/sports/default.aspx#top

and click on this link over on the right hand side under the nbc logo...

Chiefs look to Turk, Tank for DL help

...I thought they both look pretty active. Tank looks to have really quick feet in the agility drills.

PS.

If you scroll down, there are 2 more links with regards to the practices.

KcMizzou
05-14-2007, 12:15 PM
I've said it before but here you go:

High Karamba It's Tank, Turk and Tamba!Thanks.

Please don't say it again.

:D

bdeg
05-14-2007, 12:31 PM
The TANK rolls on ...The TURK puts on a hurt ....

When the TANK rolls...so do the heads.

Pitt Gorilla
05-14-2007, 01:24 PM

But from the sounds of it, they envision using Turk in much the same way they use Wilkerson.Teams have done this for years. They slide big ends inside on passing downs and bring in an outside rusher. He'll end up as a DT, but it won't hurt him to start outside.

Pitt Gorilla
05-14-2007, 01:31 PM
After watching his film from practice, Turk looks good at end. He's got a good first step and is big enough to hold up against the run.

htismaqe
05-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Teams have done this for years. They slide big ends inside on passing downs and bring in an outside rusher. He'll end up as a DT, but it won't hurt him to start outside.

I know teams have done it. I'm still not a big fan.

OctoberFart
05-14-2007, 01:53 PM
I think Tank will stuggle early in the NFL due to he was so much stronger than OL in college he just dominated them physically without much technique. Not happening in NFL and I think he dropped a little due to getting owned in the senior bowl. He will be a solid player most likely though.