PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Camp Report: Three-Day Review

Hammock Parties
05-14-2007, 04:40 PM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/643931.html

The Chiefs concluded their three-day rookie mini-camp and tryout Monday. In three days you can’t learn much about these young men, most of which will struggle to make the roster, but a few stood out.

Here’s a recap of the draft choices, plus a few sleepers who might sneak onto the roster.

WR Dwayne Bowe was simply trying too hard to impress his coaches. He needs to relax and concentrate on what he needs to do in preparation to catch the ball, let alone what he’s going to do after the catch. As I mentioned in an earlier report, he had a major case of the drops on Saturday, but did a better job of holding onto the rock Sunday and Monday. He did take a nice shot on his thigh in what Herm Edwards described as a ‘boo-boo,” keeping him out of the last half of the workout. To me, that means he needs to toughen up a bit.

DE Turk McBride was nothing short of brilliant. He’s ready to play right now. He’s smart, understands the game of football and, unless he’s injured, will start on opening day at right defensive end. He’s impressed me so much that if he does well during Jared Allen’s suspension, I can see him holding on to the starting job for an extended period of time.

DT Tank Tyler is also on the fast track to becoming a starter. He was playing at a level that simply blew away the inferior talent he was facing along the offensive line. Plug him in alongside Ron Edwards or Alphonso Boone and this unit can’t help but be better than it was a year ago.

RB Kolby Smith was very solid the last two days. He knows what to do when he catches the ball. He knew the quickest direction to the house and has a natural instinct to run up the field instead of dancing to the sidelines. You can’t teach that. He’ll have some competition in free agent running back Marcus O’Keith from California, who Edwards praised for dropping only one pass the entire three days.

The bottom line with this running back situation is the Chiefs are hedging their bets in the event Larry Johnson decides to hold out. It’s also clear Edwards wants versatile backs playing on third down, and that means LJ could be on the bench in obvious passing situations.

PK Justin Medlock has an extremely strong leg. I talked to special teams coach Mike Priefer after practice on Monday. He had a bit of a twinkle in his eye when I mentioned Medlock, but made it clear that Lawrence Tynes and Medlock will battle for the job. He also said holder Dustin Colquitt has been working with Medlock since the team drafted him, which probably means Medlock has the early edge.

OT Herb Taylor didn’t really stand out, but didn’t do anything that would lead me to believe he wasn’t a good draft pick. For the most part, the offensive linemen really didn’t do much apart from a few drills. Taylor has good size and displayed good balance from what I saw, but has a distance to travel in learning a pro-style offense. In college he played exclusively in the run-and-shoot.

TE Michael Allan looked like a Division III football player at times, but I’m high on him because you can’t teach a great set of hands. Clearly he was nervous, but on other occasions – especially when he caught the ball in traffic over the middle – he was steady. He wasn’t spectacular by any means, but give him a year or so watching and learning from Tony Gonzalez and he’ll be a playmaker. He needs to get stronger in his upper body so he can improve his blocking.

All in all it wasn’t electric out on the football field the last three days, but if the Chiefs can sign four or five of these players and one or two of them make the final roster, that’s all you can ask.

Some Other Rookie Camp Notes:

LB Ameer Ismail from Western Michigan was impressive. He was so comfortable playing outside linebacker the last three days I can’t believe he went un-drafted. He was everywhere. On running plays, he was there to make the tackle. On passing plays he quickly tracked down running backs and tight ends, stopping them for little gain. I can see Ismail making this team. The Chiefs had yet to sign him as of Monday afternoon, but that should be a formality.

At Western Michigan he was the Chippewas’ defensive player of the year. He led the NCAA with 17 sacks last year as a Senior, and added 23 tackles for loss.

WR Brad Ekwerekwu had the best three days of any receiver in camp. He caught nearly every ball in sight. It’s hard to believe he was Missouri’s fourth-ranked wide receiver. He gave Dwayne Bowe a run for his money and the two spent a lot of time together. Bowe is a lock to make the team, but Ekwereku has some game. He caught the ball with extended hands and was able to move his feet after the catch.

TE Keith Willis had three solid days. Like I mentioned yesterday, he’s a younger version of Jason Dunn. He outperformed Michael Allan, and the two should battle for the third tight end spot on the roster this season. At this point, based on having one more year of experience, Willis is ahead.

QB Jeff Terrell from Princeton really struggled the first two days, but on Monday he was very sharp and seemed a bit more comfortable throwing the ball. He’s not going to make the roster, but he’s an extra arm. In other words, Casey Printers has nothing to worry about.

Signings:

Brian Crum LB Florida

Chris Harris DE Alabama

Wes Murphy TE Arkansas

James Newby T North Carolina State

Direckshun
05-14-2007, 04:51 PM
I really didn't like the Allan pick.

What the hell were we doing, using a draft pick on a Div III player?

Hammock Parties
05-14-2007, 04:52 PM
I really didn't like the Allan pick.

What the hell were we doing, using a draft pick on a Div III player?

As I've said before, it was the seventh round. Anytime you get a guy with that combination of speed and size, it's a good draft pick.

Direckshun
05-14-2007, 04:54 PM
As I've said before, it was the seventh round. Anytime you get a guy with that combination of speed and size, it's a good draft pick.
Well apparently he doesn't have the size just yet, so let's hold the phone there.

I'm just not crazy in general about drafting players from small schools, much less tiny schools.

luv
05-14-2007, 04:56 PM
WR Brad Ekwerekwu had the best three days of any receiver in camp. He caught nearly every ball in sight. It’s hard to believe he was Missouri’s fourth-ranked wide receiver. He gave Dwayne Bowe a run for his money and the two spent a lot of time together. Bowe is a lock to make the team, but Ekwereku has some game. He caught the ball with extended hands and was able to move his feet after the catch.
[B]
Sounds good.

Give me the run down on who you think our WR's will be.

Hammock Parties
05-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Well apparently he doesn't have the size just yet, so let's hold the phone there.

He's 6-6, 250. He's got plenty of size.

I'm just not crazy in general about drafting players from small schools, much less tiny schools.

Jerry Rice, John Mobley, Jared Allen...

Hammock Parties
05-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Sounds good.

Give me the run down on who you think our WR's will be.

Well, last year Herm kept 6 wide receivers. Going on that, I'd say this year...

Kennison
Bowe
Webb
Hannon
Parker
Eck

CoMoChief
05-14-2007, 05:04 PM

Kennison
Bowe
Webb
Hannon
Parker
Eck

Ouch, we need to draft another WR next year.

Hammock Parties
05-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Depends on if Webb and Hannon pan out.

The Bad Guy
05-14-2007, 05:07 PM
I never, ever understood why people report on football players wearing shorts and helmets.

It was a rookie mini camp. They aren't participating against NFL talent right now.

Saying a guy is brilliant is like saying a 3rd grader is brilliant on the first day of school because he could write his name in cursive.

kcchiefsus
05-14-2007, 05:07 PM

Kennison
Bowe
Webb
Hannon
Parker
Eck

I don't think he did.

The only WR's on our roster last year were Kennison, Parker, Hall, Gardner, and Webb. At least, that's the only WR's I remember being on the active roster. Hannon was on the practice squad all year.

kcchiefsus
05-14-2007, 05:09 PM
I never, ever understood why people report on football players wearing shorts and helmets.

It was a rookie mini camp. They aren't participating against NFL talent right now.

Saying a guy is brilliant is like saying a 3rd grader is brilliant on the first day of school because he could write his name in cursive.

Who cares. You can still tell when a guy is talented.

It's not like this article is claiming these guys are already pro bowlers.

They simply looked good during minicamps.

Hammock Parties
05-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Maybe there weren't six guys active on gameday, but we had six guys on the roster for the playoff game. Hannon was inactive.

kcchiefsus
05-14-2007, 05:12 PM
Maybe there weren't six guys active on gameday, but we had six guys on the roster for the playoff game. Hannon was inactive.

Yeah for the playoff game we did.

But for the entire regular season Chris Hannon was on the practice squad.

Chiefnj2
05-14-2007, 05:15 PM
"I can see him holding on to the starting job for an extended period of time"

That there is a bold prediction.

Hammock Parties
05-14-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm guessing you'll see Eck on the practice squad then.

Direckshun
05-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah for the playoff game we did.

But for the entire regular season Chris Hannon was on the practice squad.
Jesus Christ, the henpicking of ChiefsPlanet just drives me up the wall sometimes.

Direckshun
05-14-2007, 05:42 PM
That said, I bet GC's prediction comes true on the WRs.

Thing is, other than Kennison, we don't really have another veteran there. We got a bunch of young kids that haven't proven much (Parker doesn't count).

Which is why I wanted Keyshawn.

WHY DOESN'T ANYBODY EVER LISTEN TO ME.

luv
05-14-2007, 06:00 PM

Thing is, other than Kennison, we don't really have another veteran there. We got a bunch of young kids that haven't proven much (Parker doesn't count).

I'm sorry. Were you saying something?

el borracho
05-14-2007, 06:17 PM
What are the chances we let Dunn go this year? He will be 35 in mid-November, played hurt at least part of last year and actually missed the playoff game because of an injury. I know, I know... he said he could have played but the fact is he was hurt and he didn't play. I'm not saying he should be cut, just noting that Herm wants to get younger.

Direckshun
05-14-2007, 06:28 PM
I bet Dunn's got one more year, max.

I don't even know if he's got it for this year.

DenverChief
05-14-2007, 06:30 PM
NO SWOGGER NEWS?!?

Deberg_1990
05-14-2007, 06:37 PM

I have to agree....These sort of stories while interesting are ultimately fluff.

Is there anyone who wears a Chiefs uniform who GoChiefs wont blow??

dirk digler
05-14-2007, 06:38 PM

Maybe because we are craving Chiefs news. Hell I just watched Athan for 20 minutes on 38 the spot.

pikesome
05-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Maybe because we are craving Chiefs news. Hell I just watched Athan for 20 minutes on 38 the spot.

People have been committed for less. Look out for the rubber room guys.

jidar
05-14-2007, 08:55 PM

I have never understood why people have to bitch and moan and whine on the internet, especially when they're completely ****ing full of shit.

The truth is that 90% of the people who read this board would be curious to know how minicamp went, and if nobody posted any news at all then there would be threads asking why nobody reported on mini-camp.

All that was just a really long way of saying "People report it because people are interested in it, so shut up faggot."

Smed1065
05-14-2007, 08:58 PM

Spurs fan.

LOL

Deberg_1990
05-14-2007, 09:04 PM
I have never understood why people have to bitch and moan and whine on the internet, especially when they're completely ****ing full of shit.

The truth is that 90% of the people who read this board would be curious to know how minicamp went, and if nobody posted any news at all then there would be threads asking why nobody reported on mini-camp.

All that was just a really long way of saying "People report it because people are interested in it, so shut up pillowbiter."

Its fine to report on it. I think what Bad Guy and myself have a problem with is the excessive drooling over each and every pick. He acts like all these guys will become HoF'ers. The reality is, only about 3 of these guys on average end up making a signifcant contribution each year.

keg in kc
05-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Its fine to report on it. I think what Bad Guy and myself have a problem with is the excessive drooling over each and every pick. He acts like all these guys will become HoF'ers. The reality is, only about 3 of these guys on average end up making a signifcant contribution each year.You know what these reports will be, because they're the same year after year after year. So why open them, if you know you're not going to like what they say?

Deberg_1990
05-14-2007, 09:12 PM
You know what these reports will be, because they're the same year after year after year. So why open them, if you know you're not going to like what they say?

Of course im going to open it. im a fan and curiosity gets the better of me.

But like i said, most of the guys are closer to being the next Jessie Haynes than the next LJ.

keg in kc
05-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Of course im going to open it. im a fan and curiosity gets the better of me. And there goes your right to bitch about it.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Dwayne Bowe is a bust, Turk and Tank hall of famer military gamers!1!1

Phobia
05-14-2007, 09:27 PM
FWIW, I think you should start including by-lines on Scout articles.

Pitt Gorilla
05-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Eck is a player (I keep typing this). If he doesn't make the Chiefs, he'll make another squad.

Direckshun
05-14-2007, 10:46 PM
I think what Bad Guy and myself have a problem with is the excessive drooling over each and every pick.
ARE YOU TELLING ME FANS OF A TEAM ARE OPTIMISTIC ABOUT ROOKIES!?!?!?!?!?

Thank god you're on the case!

Knock us all down a notch, pops! You run the joint 'round here!

I'd neg rep you right now if I hadn't run out for the day. You're gettin' it tomorrow.

Logical
05-14-2007, 11:05 PM

All that was just a really long way of saying "People report it because people are interested in it, so shut up pillowbiter."

May I just say Bad Guy is one of the most football savvy posters we have on this BB, you might want to listen to him.

Ugly Duck
05-14-2007, 11:06 PM
WR Dwayne Bowe had a major case of the drops

I'm tryin ta tell ya... he no longer has the Mighty Hero with the Golden Arm throwing passes to him - now he's just some guy trying figure out how to get by without Jamarcus the Great as his golden goose

Direckshun
05-14-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm tryin ta tell ya... he no longer has the Mighty Hero with the Golden Arm throwing passes to him - now he's just some guy trying figure out how to get by without Jamarcus the Great as his golden goose
I sense a mantra coming from you over the next twelve months.

Why don't you just put it in your signature and save your keyboard the pounding.

Ugly Duck
05-14-2007, 11:10 PM
Why don't you just put it in your signature and save your keyboard the pounding. I can't... GoChiefs calls me a doo-doo head whenever he sees it....

Direckshun
05-14-2007, 11:14 PM
I can't... GoChiefs calls me a doo-doo head whenever he sees it....
GoChiefs once neg repped me in a game thread for criticizing LJ when he dropped an easy pass. You absorb the hit and you keep running, dude.

You can put it in your signature or you can just say the same shit over and over and over again, and I'd hate to see you degenerate into a Bronco fan.

DaneMcCloud
05-14-2007, 11:38 PM

No habla Espanol.

DaneMcCloud
05-14-2007, 11:39 PM

Frank, as always, you make too much sense.

Are you going to be doing any coverage in River Falls this year? I always enjoy your input and perspective.

unkh
05-17-2007, 06:54 PM
The minicamp was good for Ameer Ismail, but no news about signing! do you know why it didn't happen?

unkh
05-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Just Do It

Mile High Mania
05-17-2007, 07:00 PM
DE Turk McBride was nothing short of brilliant. He’s ready to play right now. He’s smart, understands the game of football and, unless he’s injured, will start on opening day at right defensive end.

DT Tank Tyler is also on the fast track to becoming a starter. He was playing at a level that simply blew away the inferior talent he was facing along the offensive line.

Understands the game of football? How generic... and kudos Tank for blowing up the spares.

Mile High Mania
05-17-2007, 07:02 PM
FWIW, I think you should start including by-lines on Scout articles.

I just think Kyle should add "Powered by WPI" under the site logo.

htismaqe
05-17-2007, 07:08 PM

In Turk's case, it's warranted.

He was widely regarded by fans as the "Eddie Freeman" of this draft.

People need to know that he's outperforming every other draft pick now. And they need to know when he's doing it in training camp.

Maybe then they'll finally acknowledge that it not only wasn't a bad pick, it might have been the best pick in the entire KC draft...

Direckshun
05-17-2007, 07:09 PM
What three or four rooks did we sign after camp?

CoMoChief
05-17-2007, 07:09 PM
I for one was pissed when we drafted Turk.

Just like Hali, he will have to warm up to me.

htismaqe
05-17-2007, 07:12 PM
I for one was pissed when we drafted Turk.

Just like Hali, he will have to warm up to me.

It won't be an issue.

You'll be reading stories like this about him all summer long...

dj56dt58
05-17-2007, 07:59 PM

Because we're getting younger and rebuilding and its better for us to get our young guys experience. Also just because their young doesn't mean they can't be great their first year. There's been plenty of rookies that played great their rookie seasons(and not just put up great numbers, but that learned the game quickly as well). Keyshawn does us no good right now

unothadeal
05-17-2007, 08:15 PM

WHAT IS THIS!!! A centre for ANTS?

Ugly Duck
05-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Just like Hali, Turk will have to warm up to me.

Hmmm.... that kinda sounds like a snuggly homoerotic kinda sexual fantasy kinda thing - you shouldn't be wishing for dudes to warm up to you. Instead, try to imagine a female hottie coming over to warm up to you.... its less creepy....

pikesome
05-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Hmmm.... that kinda sounds like a snuggly homoerotic kinda sexual fantasy kinda thing - you shouldn't be wishing for dudes to warm up to you. Instead, try to imagine a female hottie coming over to warm up to you.... its less creepy....

Any female hottie that can fill in for Allen then move inside to give us more QB pressure isn't, most likely, a girl I'm going to fantasize over.

Thig Lyfe
05-17-2007, 09:23 PM
The Chiefs had yet to sign him as of Monday afternoon, but that should be a formality.

Huh? What's the formality, signing him?

Direckshun
05-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Understands the game of football? How generic... and kudos Tank for blowing up the spares.
How're your guys doing?