PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Youth will be served.

Coogs
05-15-2007, 09:52 AM
Youth will be served
Coach Herm Edwards is committed to letting younger players get more action this season after a former player enjoyed a breakout year.
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

“We just didn’t play him enough. I’m not letting that happen again.”

| Herm Edwards on Jerricho Cotchery

Herm Edwards learned more than a few coaching lessons during his time with the Jets. One of the biggest didn’t fully reveal itself until last year, after he already had joined the Chiefs.

One of Edwards’ draft picks, a wide receiver named Jerricho Cotchery, blossomed into a solid player with 82 catches after wasting on the bench for most of his two seasons under Edwards.

Too late, of course, to do Edwards any good. But if you’re looking for the root of Edwards’ willingness to use younger players, look no more.

“The worst thing I did when I was in New York was draft Jerricho Cotchery and … he never got on the field for me,” Edwards said. “Only bits and pieces. Now he’s playing and playing very well and doing what he was doing in practice when I was there. We just didn’t play him enough.

“I’m not letting that happen again.”

The Chiefs on Monday concluded a three-day rookie camp that gave Edwards a glimpse of this year’s harvest. They begin full-squad practice next week.

The focus moves from young players to veterans, but not necessarily the emphasis. The Chiefs had three rookies last season play significant roles — defensive end Tamba Hali and safeties Jarrad Page and Bernard Pollard.

Judging by weekend developments, the Chiefs should beat that number easily next season. The top three picks — wide receiver Dwayne Bowe and defensive linemen Turk McBride and Tank Tyler — should play significant amounts even if they’re not starting.

Justin Medlock, a fifth-round pick, will be their kicker is he has a strong training camp. Ean Randolph, an undrafted free agent, could win the punt returner’s job. Randolph was an accomplished punt returner as a senior at South Florida, averaging almost 15 yards.

Edwards appears more willing to err on the side of playing a rookie too soon as opposed to waiting too long.

“The quarterback is one position you don’t bring along too fast,” Edwards said. “You figure when he can go, he’ll go. Other positions, you can spot-play them. We can give them the ability to go into a game and have a little role and from there, if they have some success, build on that role.”

Maybe it’s because of what happened with Cotchery in New York or maybe it’s just coincidence, but the Chiefs next season could have as many as four wide receivers in their first or second year: Bowe, Randolph and two of last season’s rookies, Jeff Webb and Chris Hannon.

Edwards said one of his biggest regrets last season was not playing Webb more. He indicated the Chiefs have simplified their playbook to make it easier for young receivers.

“We’ve done some things differently offensively now to make sure these young guys have the ability to play,” he said. “That doesn’t mean we’re changing the offense. We’ve done some things to help some younger guys get in the lineup.”

Bowe left practice early Monday after being kicked in the leg, but the Chiefs weren’t concerned that the injury would keep him out for long.

Page came to the Chiefs last year as a lowly seventh-round pick. He wound up starting three games, including the playoff loss to Indianapolis. He made several big plays, including an end-zone interception that preserved a win over Oakland.

He could have been an afterthought. The Chiefs last year had veteran starting safeties in Sammy Knight and Greg Wesley and drafted Pollard in the second round.

Instead, Page probably will start this season and stands as evidence of the Chiefs’ commitment to younger players.

“Herm said when we got here last year he was going to give rookies the chance to play, but at that point I didn’t know him, so I really didn’t know if that was going to be the case,” Page said. “I didn’t know if he was serious or just trying to motivate you to practice harder.

“What I saw is that he’s just looking for the players he can trust the most. With him, it’s about how you play and not who you are. He sees everything out here. He sees who’s in the right place and making plays and not making mistakes and it doesn’t matter to him whether you’re a rookie or an older guy. You’re going to play.”

Chiefnj
05-15-2007, 10:01 AM
This seems so odd to me because Herm had a good group of receivers in NY. Moss, Coles, McCareins, Chrebet.

If someone sat it was because there were good receivers in front of them that were producing fairly well.

I don't understand what lesson was learned. Bench productive players for youth? It would be different if Herm had a Samie Parker on the Jets, but he didn't.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-15-2007, 10:04 AM
The last couple of years of Wayne Chrebet's career were about as productive as a case of blue balls.

Hoover
05-15-2007, 10:08 AM
I think the point they are trying to make is that you have to give rookies a chance to prove that they can play. I'm all for that. Thats why I want to know if Croyel can play or not, if not we need to find a different QBOTF.

pikesome
05-15-2007, 10:09 AM
The last couple of years of Wayne Chrebet's career were about as productive as a case of blue balls.

This stuff's pretty good. I don't know about "productive" though.

http://www.bawls.com/guarana.jpg

keg in kc
05-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Night and day change from Vermeil et al's approach following the draft. Last year's results were good, we'll see if it was the rule or the exception.

Archie Bunker
05-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Refreshing

bsp4444
05-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Ean Randolph, this is the first I've heard of this guy. Any stats or footage we can review?

DJJasonp
05-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Edwards said one of his biggest regrets last season was not playing Webb more. He indicated the Chiefs have simplified their playbook to make it easier for young receivers.

Yeah...like the Indy game.....they're not involved.

Archie Bunker
05-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Ean Randolph, this is the first I've heard of this guy. Any stats or footage we can review?

Big East Special Teams Player of the Year

Average 14.8 yrd per punt return with 1 TD

http://www.arrowheadaddict.com/?p=193

“Ean Randolph, WR/USF: Randolph (5-8 5/8 175) ran a 4.53 forty, had 11 reps, 35.5 vertical, 9’9” broad jump, a 4.11 short shuttle, and a 6.80 3-cone time. He was an excellent punt returner over his career (had a 14.8 avg and 1 TD) and also led the Bulls with 49 receptions and 506 receiving yards. What he lacks in size, he makes up for with explosiveness and speed.”

The above link also has some youtube highlights.

Reerun_KC
05-15-2007, 10:35 AM
How hard can it be for a WR to pick up the Run Run Pass Punt offense?

I am sure 90% of this message board could pick it up in one day...

Not like Herm understands anything that resembles offense..

Iowanian
05-15-2007, 10:37 AM
I'm all for letting the younger players have an opportunity, but I'd also like them to remember that every rookie isn't Cotchery, who may or may not have produced as a rookie.

I assumed they were looking for ST player/K-PR with the young FA WRs.

htismaqe
05-15-2007, 10:37 AM

Yeah...like the Indy game.....they're not involved.

They were involved...

In dropping passess...

BIG_DADDY
05-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Not like Herm understands anything that resembles offense..

Come on dude he fixed it for us last year they were scoring WAY too much.

HemiEd
05-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Come on dude he fixed it for us last year they were scoring WAY too much.

Yeah, and don't forget "TOO QUICK."

:cuss:

Easy 6
05-15-2007, 11:31 AM
I really liked the fact that it sounds like he's learning from his mistakes & getting better at his job as time goes on, just like most of us.

However, i do think its a bit disingenuous to say that he's not fundamentally changing the O.

I can dig the power game, but atleast just come out & say it.

Chiefnj
05-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Night and day change from Vermeil et al's approach following the draft. Last year's results were good, we'll see if it was the rule or the exception.

Not really. Every coach wants to get his own players in the game. Vermeil's own players just happened to be primarily free agent and trade acquisitions (Green, Roaf, Holmes, Kennison). Herm has stuck with keeping his draft picks which is why the draft picks are playing.

cookster50
05-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Yeah, and don't forget "TOO QUICK."

:cuss:
That's what she said.

keg in kc
05-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Not really. Every coach wants to get his own players in the game. Vermeil's own players just happened to be primarily free agent and trade acquisitions (Green, Roaf, Holmes, Kennison). Herm has stuck with keeping his draft picks which is why the draft picks are playing.You haven't done anything but support my point. Vermeil went with vets, Herm builds through drafting and giving younger players an opportunity. Night and day.

Pitt Gorilla
05-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Not really. Every coach wants to get his own players in the game. Vermeil's own players just happened to be primarily free agent and trade acquisitions (Green, Roaf, Holmes, Kennison). Herm has stuck with keeping his draft picks which is why the draft picks are playing.Vermeil didn't have much of a choice; many of his draft picks weren't so good.

GoHuge
05-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Honestly it makes our young guys sound like they're kind of stupid. How hard can it be to learn you blocking assignments on first and second down? Learn those and then run a route and be looking for the ball on thrid down.

Seems fairly simple :shrug:

Reerun_KC
05-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Geesh What about Marty?

He sucked at playing young players and developing a QB...

Unless those young guys were on Defense...

Mecca
05-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Honestly it makes our young guys sound like they're kind of stupid. How hard can it be to learn you blocking assignments on first and second down? Learn those and then run a route and be looking for the ball on thrid down.

Seems fairly simple :shrug:

The offensive scheme was so difficult it took 2-3 years for the WR's to know it........Think about how long it took any young WR to even get on the field under Vermiel/Saunders.........and how bad they were in the first year here.

Reerun_KC
05-15-2007, 12:54 PM
The offensive scheme was so difficult it took 2-3 years for the WR's to know it........Think about how long it took any young WR to even get on the field under Vermiel/Saunders.........and how bad they were in the first year here.

Well it isnt complicated now? INDY with the worst defense in the NFL at the time, completely shut down our offense period!

It is so easy, all you do is stack 10 in the box and boom, you beat the Chiefs.

CoMoChief
05-15-2007, 01:00 PM
He indicated the Chiefs have simplified their playbook to make it easier for young receivers.

“We’ve done some things differently offensively now to make sure these young guys have the ability to play,” he said. “That doesn’t mean we’re changing the offense.

Actually Herm, that's exactly what it means.

CoMoChief
05-15-2007, 01:04 PM

Torry Holt didn't seem to mind it.

beer bacon
05-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Well it isnt complicated now? INDY with the worst defense in the NFL at the time, completely shut down our offense period!

It is so easy, all you do is stack 10 in the box and boom, you beat the Chiefs.

Our offense was horrible against Indi, but it is disingenuous to call the Colts defense the worse in the NFL at the time they played us. The Colts were pretty bad throughout much of the regular season, but their defense, especially the rush defense, somehow got much better in the playoffs. We weren't the only team they surprised.

Mecca
05-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Torry Holt didn't seem to mind it.

Cause we got top 5 picks with HOF type talent just sitting on our bench......

Torry Holt is an exception not the rule.