PDA

View Full Version : Why do ppl hate Remakes?

oaklandhater
05-15-2007, 02:12 PM
I was driving home from work yesterday and on the raido they just said that Warner brothers has Canned the Logan's run remake, the 2 host were saying how glad they were that Logan's run was not geting a remake and how hollywood is killing the classics.

I was thinking a Logan's run remake would have been nice since the original looks very dated so I was wondering why ppl are so put off on remakes?

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Because they usually suck and seem to somehow take away from the original in the process.

DMAC
05-15-2007, 02:15 PM
It was OK until it got OUT OF CONTROL.

CoMoChief
05-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Most remakes or sequels are garbage, however there are a few exceptions like Major League II. lol

Stewie
05-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Jenny Agutter too old? :shrug:

Planetman
05-15-2007, 02:17 PM
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/06/failures/image/coke.jpg

Any questions?

DJJasonp
05-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Logan's Run was a great movie.....The Island kind of reminded me of it.

If you mix the Island with Children of Men....you've got your Logan's Run remake....

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-15-2007, 02:21 PM
People hate Remakes because they listen to that damned Rap music, eat up all the fried chicken, think they're the best dancer, and they stink!!

Planetman
05-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Jenny Agutter too old? :shrug:
She's beat up, from the feet up.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/faces/images/jenny_agutter.jpg

Brock
05-15-2007, 02:24 PM
It would have been just more hollywood crap. They put out about 2 good movies per year and the rest are shit like King Kong.

oaklandhater
05-15-2007, 02:28 PM
It would have been just more hollywood crap. They put out about 2 good movies per year and the rest are shit like King Kong.

See right there what was so bad about King Kong. the Dinosaur Scenes alone own anything Jurassic park ever did.

Brock
05-15-2007, 02:31 PM
See right there what was so bad about King Kong. the Dinosaur Scenes alone own anything Jurassic park ever did.

If you really have to ask why King Kong sucked donkey balls, I'm going to have a hard time explaining it. CGI doesn't make a good movie, see Star Wars.

oaklandhater
05-15-2007, 02:31 PM

Any questions?

The new Coke was just Coke with more sugar.It was a upgrade in my opinion.That hole Fiasco with the new coke Just shows ppl are afraid of change.

oaklandhater
05-15-2007, 02:35 PM
If you really have to ask why King Kong sucked donkey balls, I'm going to have a hard time explaining it. CGI doesn't make a good movie, see Star Wars.

I thought the movie was doing great till they left skull island.And Star wars Sucked for alot more Reasons then over CGI use.

bkkcoh
05-15-2007, 02:40 PM
I have a slightly different take on remakes.

I am tired of seeing Hollywood trying to special-effects the story to hell. If it is a good story, the special effects enhance the movie going experience. If the movie sucks, it doesn't make any difference if the movie is a remake or not, the special effects won't make any difference.

Hollywood seems to have an originaloty brain fart. Of course, I realize that there are only some many types of movie scripts out there, but it would be nice to see.

kcxiv
05-15-2007, 02:41 PM
as long as i am halfway entertained, its ok by me.

Bugeater
05-15-2007, 02:42 PM
I hate them because they're nothing but Hollywood cash grabs. I still can't believe they remade The Hitcher.

kc rush
05-15-2007, 02:47 PM
The new Coke was just Coke with more sugar.It was a upgrade in my opinion.That hole Fiasco with the new coke Just shows ppl are afraid of change.

If I wanted Pepsi, I'd drink Pepsi. Coke was fine before, all they did was piss a lot of people off.

oaklandhater
05-15-2007, 02:48 PM
I hate them because they're nothing but Hollywood cash grabs. I still can't believe they remade The Hitcher.

Anything Michael bay touches turns to Crap!

chasedude
05-15-2007, 02:51 PM
I was driving home from work yesterday and on the raido they just said that Warner brothers has Canned the Logan's run remake, the 2 host were saying how glad they were that Logan's run was not geting a remake and how hollywood is killing the classics.

I was thinking a Logan's run remake would have been nice since the since the original looks very dated so I was wondering why ppl are so put off on remakes?

Whatever happen to original ideas for movies? Is Hollywood so lazy and think we're so stupid we can't take anything worth while anymore? Most of the best movies I seem to find come from Cannes Film Festival's. Don't get me wrong there have been a few remakes like Cape Fear, and Scarface that were good.

Baby Lee
05-15-2007, 02:56 PM
I don't hate all remakes, but there is a sense that remakes, especially poorly made star-of-the-moment vehicles are just an indicator that Hollywood ran out of ideas before we ran out of $$.
Also, a remake of a distinctive film runs the risk of sullying what made the original a classic.

oaklandhater
05-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Also, a remake of a distinctive film runs the risk of sullying what made the original a classic.

Whats the Worst that can Happened you lose 6$ on your movie fee.Can the Remake be so bad that you never want to see the original again because your scared it will bring back bad memories of the remake?

Jenson71
05-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Everyone hates them, except somehow they make $200 million. Thanks kids. We live in a culture directed towards the young. Even news channels show Paris Hilton and Britney Spears 1/4 of their time.

ClevelandBronco
05-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Most remakes or sequels are garbage, however there are a few exceptions like Major League II. lol

Early in my marriage my wife asked me, "Why are movie sequels always so bad?" I pointed out that Godfather 2 was a great movie.

"That one doesn't count," she argued. "It was good."

That discussion foreshadowed the kind of logic I've enjoyed dealing with for almost 20 years now.

Lzen
05-15-2007, 03:16 PM

Any questions?

Yes. Why do they both taste like crap?

oaklandhater
05-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Yes. Why do they both taste like crap?

You cant blame them for thinking that ppl would rather have a sweeter tast,Then more of a battery acid taste.

KcMizzou
05-15-2007, 03:31 PM
You cant blame them for thinking that ppl would rather have a sweeter tast,Then more of a battery acid taste.Surely you're not the one person who prefered "New Coke".

oaklandhater
05-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Surely you're not the one person who prefered "New Coke".

From what I remember they both tasted pretty similar one was just a bit more sweeter then the other.

oaklandhater
05-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Everyone hates them, except somehow they make $200 million. Thanks kids. We live in a culture directed towards the young. Even news channels show Paris Hilton and Britney Spears 1/4 of their time.

Thats why Movies were so much better in the 80's before the pg-13 rating.Where you either made a Straight kids movie or a Straight adult movie before the Tweener age.

KcMizzou
05-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Thats why Movies were so much better in the 80's before the pg-13 rating.Where you either made a Straight kids movie or a Straight adult movie before the Tweener age.I agree. Now it's much too tempting to water a movie down a bit to get the teen market.

jidar
05-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Because people like to hate.

Because half the ****ing world thinks they're movie critics.

Because being righteous about stuff makes people feel superior.

Because people take themselves too ****ing seriously.

Pick one?

I used to be pretty snobbish about movies, but then I got over it. These days I actually try to enjoy myself instead of being a critic.

Now I've gone from being overly critical of movies to being overly critical of people who can't get over themselves enough to enjoy a popcorn flick.

Oddly enough, I have found out that enjoying lesser movies doesn't actually make me enjoy the great ones any less either.

oaklandhater
05-15-2007, 03:50 PM
I agree. Now it's much too tempting to water a movie down a bit to get the teen market.

Yea 70's to early 90's Was golden age of movie making.

Jenson71
05-15-2007, 03:53 PM

Pick one?

I used to be pretty snobbish about movies, but then I got over it. These days I actually try to enjoy myself instead of being a critic.

Now I've gone from being overly critical of movies to being overly critical of people who can't get over themselves enough to enjoy a popcorn flick.

Oddly enough, I have found out that enjoying lesser movies doesn't actually make me enjoy the great ones any less either.

You gave up. You quit fighting and your mind is dying.

Hating a movie doesn't make you a snobbish prick. It makes you have an opinion. That's part of being a human. You can't throw crap in our face and expect us to be amazed.

DMAC
05-15-2007, 04:03 PM
The only remake I am up for right now is Matrix Revolutions. I am sure whatever is done, it would be better.

Plus, that would be a remake of a sequel, or trequel? Ahhhhhh.......

jidar
05-15-2007, 04:05 PM
You gave up. You quit fighting and your mind is dying.

Hating a movie doesn't make you a snobbish prick. It makes you have an opinion. That's part of being a human. You can't throw crap in our face and expect us to be amazed.

That's ****ing retarded. Maybe what's wrong with people is thinking their choice in movies is somehow reflective on them as a person.

oaklandhater
05-15-2007, 04:07 PM
The only remake I am up for right now is Matrix Revolutions. I am sure whatever is done, it would be better.

Plus, that would be a remake of a sequel, or trequel? Ahhhhhh.......

The only thing I want to see done in the Matrix is a prequel.Like the Wachowski Brothers were talking about at one point.But after Rev Bomb at the Box office I dont think we will see anything Matrix again.

Jenson71
05-15-2007, 04:08 PM
That's ****ing retarded. Maybe what's wrong with people is thinking their choice in movies is somehow reflective on them as a person.

Although most of my post in sarcastic, I still think people can be critical towards all types of art, without being (as you suggest) self-righteous, better-than-thou people just because of that. You say that's what people are because of how they view movies. Aren't you reflecting on a person because of their opinions on a film? How is that any more of less "****ing retarded"?

"Senator, we're both part of the same hypocrisy" - Michael Corleone.

Baby Lee
05-15-2007, 04:20 PM

Pick one?

Wow!! The 'you're too stupid to enjoy crap for the crap it is' angle.

That's a new one.

I think we have a new standard bearer for Gaz's hoot scale.

And since when does critiquing a movie require some kind of skill set?

Adept Havelock
05-15-2007, 04:23 PM
I hate them because they usually (IMO) do some damage to the original.

Example (though admittedly a poor one): In the remake of "The Bad News Bears" Morris Buttermaker gives the Bears non-alchoholic beer? NFW. Walter Matthau handed out Budweiser to grade schoolers!

At least they kept the music from "Carmen".

Fly O.T. McWall
05-15-2007, 04:28 PM
because i always think of the psycho remake and the word "abomination" comes to mind. then my gag reflex kicks in and i vomit taco bell and michelob on myself.

Fish
05-15-2007, 04:40 PM

Pick one?

This type of attitude is why we have a conveyor belt of shit coming out of hollywood. The hollywood dopes are content making crappy movies that appeal to the idiot sheeple majority. And folks like you say "ehh.. I expect it to suck, just give me my $4 popcorn and $5.50 soda and let me enjoy my dumbed down entertainment".

Baby Lee
05-15-2007, 04:41 PM
This type of attitude is why we have a conveyor belt of shit coming out of hollywood. The hollywood dopes are content making crappy movies that appeal to the idiot sheeple majority. And folks like you say "ehh.. I expect it to suck, just give me my $4 popcorn and $5.50 soda and let me enjoy my dumbed down entertainment".
What is wrong with you, that you can't enjoy your allotment of 'Dude Where's My Car' and S T F U?

Fly O.T. McWall
05-15-2007, 05:06 PM
i agree with this assessment. there's also a big time problem with american audiences that refuse to watch foreign films simply because they don't want to read subtitles. and dubbing sucks some serious ass.

Fly O.T. McWall
05-15-2007, 05:06 PM
What is wrong with you, that you can't enjoy your allotment of 'Dude Where's My Car' and S T F U?
talk about the kibble of the movie world.

SnakeXJones
05-15-2007, 06:17 PM
When I heard Escape From New York was gonna be remade, I seriously wanted to kick somebody's head in they are gonna ruin a classic.

oaklandhater
05-15-2007, 06:25 PM
When I heard Escape From New York was gonna be remade, I seriously wanted to kick somebody's head in they are gonna ruin a classic.

anything done bye Zack Snyder is going to rock.

jidar
05-15-2007, 06:38 PM

Nobody is stopping you from making a masterpiece then so snap to it Kubrick.

oaklandhater
05-15-2007, 06:44 PM

Other then Full metal jacket Kubrick is the most overated director ever.

Fish
05-15-2007, 07:15 PM

You wouldn't like it..... :)

pikesome
05-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Other then Full metal jacket Kubrick is the most overated director ever.

This is a hard position to defend.

Paths of Glory
Spartacus
Dr Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
Full Metal Jacket

These are all really, really good movies. Not many other directors can lay claim to a list such as this. Tarantino has 6 movies total and, besides Pulp Fiction, none are even in the same class as at least the last 5 movies on the above list.

Deberg_1990
05-15-2007, 07:39 PM
This is a hard position to defend.

Paths of Glory
Spartacus
Dr Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
Full Metal Jacket

These are all really, really good movies. Not many other directors can lay claim to a list such as this.

You left out The Shining...which is a creepy flick to this day. Funny because it got remade as a TV film about 10 years ago.......not nearly as creepy.

and i really dug Eyes Wide Shut, but i know alot of people hated it....

They will all be praising it in 10 years... : )

headsnap
05-15-2007, 07:42 PM
BITD, ChiefsPlanet had a much higher level of dubassery... :shake:

KcMizzou
05-15-2007, 07:43 PM
BITD, ChiefsPlanet had a much higher level of dubassery... :shake:Before I Took Drugs?
:hmmm:

KcMizzou
05-15-2007, 07:45 PM
BITD, ChiefsPlanet had a much higher level of dubassery... :shake:Hey... By the way... I picked up "Death Tunnel" the other day. It was like 8 bucks... had to get it. I haven't watched it yet. Any certain part of the movie to listen for your stuff?

pikesome
05-15-2007, 07:47 PM
You left out The Shining...which is a creepy flick to this day. Funny because it got remade as a TV film about 10 years ago.......not nearly as creepy.

Not everyone is in agreement on The Shinning, there is the complaint that he butchered the book. That list, with the possible exception of Paths of Glory, is unassailable. Easily in the running for the best movies made in English.

headsnap
05-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Before I Took Drugs?
:hmmm:

Back In The Day...

this thread would be better ON DRUGS!

JohnnyV13
05-15-2007, 07:48 PM

Why will anyone be praising Eyes wide Shut in 10 years? Eyes wide Shut was trying to be artsy and literary and ended up with the kind of sophistication that a pair of 12 year olds who just bought their first playboy can muster.

headsnap
05-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Hey... By the way... I picked up "Death Tunnel" the other day. It was like 8 bucks... had to get it. I haven't watched it yet. Any certain part of the movie to listen for your stuff?

the credits... :)

chagrin
05-15-2007, 07:49 PM
How about, they suck?

Good acting has been replaced by pretty boys and girls trying to play grown up, amid awesome computer graphics.

KcMizzou
05-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Not everyone is in agreement on The Shinning, there is the complaint that he butchered the book. That list, with the possible exception of Paths of Glory, is unassailable. Easily in the running for the best movies made in English.Totally screwed up the ending, but the rest was fantastic. As a Stephen King fan, I'll take that. It's still by far the best film based on King's work.

KcMizzou
05-15-2007, 07:50 PM
the credits... :)Right on. :thumb:

pikesome
05-15-2007, 07:51 PM
How about, they suck?

Good acting has been replaced by pretty boys and girls trying to play grown up, amid awesome computer graphics.

Script and plot, that's the main failing IMHO.

Deberg_1990
05-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Why will anyone be praising Eyes wide Shut in 10 years? Eyes wide Shut was trying to be artsy and literary and ended up with the kind of sophistication that a pair of 12 year olds who just bought their first playboy can muster.

I remember back in the early 80's when everyone hated Bladerunner. Now its an acknowledged classic.

There are numerous examples of films that get better with age once people rediscover them years later.

KcMizzou
05-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Script and plot, that's the main failing IMHO.And in horror, character developement. (I guess that goes with script) It's not scarey if you don't care about the people who are in danger.

Mojo Rising
05-15-2007, 08:02 PM
A couple of movies which I think would be good candidates for remakes would be "Warriors" and "Heavy Metal".

Both were instant classics when I was a kid. I recently tried to re-watch both and didn't make it to the end of either.

pikesome
05-15-2007, 08:02 PM
There are numerous examples of films that get better with age once people rediscover them years later.

It's once the critics who panned it are dead or retired.

pikesome
05-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Acouple of movies which I think would be good candidates for remakes would be "Warriors" and "Heavy Metal".

Both were instant classics when I was a kid. I recently tried to re-watch both and didn't make it to the end of either.

Heavy Metal shouldn't be "remade" in the normal sense but it would be cool to see another movie cut from the same cloth. Horror, naked women and drug use done in animation. :)

Deberg_1990
05-15-2007, 08:12 PM
A couple of movies which I think would be good candidates for remakes would be "Warriors" and "Heavy Metal".

Warriors sort of got rediscoved a couple of years ago with the younger generation when the X-Box game was big.

I sort of dig on its outdated 70's vibe though........something totally cool about it.

Demonpenz
05-15-2007, 08:28 PM
i haven't seen a movie in like 10 years that I went. Holy shit that was awesome. Usually I have to trick my mind into thinking a movie was good. "i spent money on it, i like it!"

cdcox
05-15-2007, 09:31 PM
I generally don't watch remakes on principle. What we loved about the original was the basic idea and how it unfolded the first time we watched it:

The Longest Yard: What if a star pro QB went to prison? What if they played football in prison? Guards against the Prisoners.

Stepford Wives: Women's liberation... what is the back lash? How about a community of men who don't want things to change...

Rollerball: Suppose corporations became the new version of countries, and when corporations ran the world, it became a kind of negative utopia. What role would sport play in this utopia?

Bad News Bears: A team of misfits. A washed up drunken coach. Lots of redemption potential here between the team and the coach...

It was the idea that we loved. Once we see it play out, it looses all of its novelty in a remake. Who cares about updating it? Rollerball and Stepford Wives are movies of their time. I rewatch the originals both to enjoy the movie again, but perhaps more importantly, to recapture the flavor of those eras, and to share them with my daughter, who was not alive then. To put them in a time machine and bring them into the twenty-first century is not only unimaginative, its retarded.

KCinNY
05-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Remakes never, ever live up to the original.

How does Hollywood even consider remaking "The Manchurian Candidate?" Negroe please.

Frazod
05-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Totally screwed up the ending, but the rest was fantastic. As a Stephen King fan, I'll take that. It's still by far the best film based on King's work.

Uh, NO.

Two words. Shawshank. Redemption.

KcMizzou
05-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Uh, NO.

Two words. Shawshank. Redemption.Ah... you've got me there.

Frazod
05-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Ah... you've got me there.

That's kind of a trap, since people automatically think horror with King and forget about his non-horror stuff.

05-15-2007, 11:01 PM
Because most remakes are nowhere near as good as the original. Also, Hollywood needs to start using their brains and coming up with original ideas again. The fact that they turn to remakes all the time should tell you that they can't come up with anything original anymore.

listopencil
05-16-2007, 01:25 AM
I go to the movies because I want to be told a story. The story has to be interesting or I get disappointed. That doesn't mean it has to be a story I've never been told before, but it has to be told to me in an interesting way. When some movie studio remakes a movie that I originally liked they are beginning an uphill fight with me as an audience member. The new one has to be better than the old one or I really don't think it's worth my time. I'd rather just watch the old one again.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-16-2007, 02:46 AM
Everyone knows that the best Stephen King based movie was "The Running Man"

05-16-2007, 02:48 AM
Everyone knows that the best Stephen King based movie was "The Running Man"
Richard Dawson made that movie what it was.

dj56dt58
05-16-2007, 05:50 AM
Are we talking remakes or sequels? To me a remake is taking a movie from years ago and completely remaking it, like The Longest Yard, whereas a sequel is a movie like the Godfather, Rocky, Ect..JW bc a lot of people are talking more about sequels than actual remakes

Simply Red
05-16-2007, 06:40 AM
I recently caught the remake of "The Omen" and was very pleased. It seemed a lot less cheesy than most remakes.

Fly O.T. McWall
05-16-2007, 06:59 AM
I recently caught the remake of "The Omen" and was very pleased. It seemed a lot less cheesy than most remakes.
:Lin:

sad, really.

Simply Red
05-16-2007, 07:04 AM
:Lin:

sad, really.
Really, you didn't like it? I thought it was one of the better horror remakes. That surprises me.

Deberg_1990
05-16-2007, 08:14 AM
The Longest Yard: What if a star pro QB went to prison? What if they played football in prison? Guards against the Prisoners.

Stepford Wives: Women's liberation... what is the back lash? How about a community of men who don't want things to change...

Rollerball: Suppose corporations became the new version of countries, and when corporations ran the world, it became a kind of negative utopia. What role would sport play in this utopia?

Bad News Bears: A team of misfits. A washed up drunken coach. Lots of redemption potential here between the team and the coach...

Id almost be willing to bet that most of the younger crowd that goes to the movies these days didnt even realize those flicks were remakes. So to them the ideas would have been fresh.

But none of those you mentioned holds a candle to the originals.

Phobia
05-16-2007, 08:36 AM
People don't like remakes for the same reason I don't tell Iowanian's jokes. They're his frick'n jokes, not mine. If I started repeating all his material then it's gonna get stale and stupid.

el borracho
05-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Just like covering a popular song, any movie remake needs to be markedly different than the original or done markedly better than the original or it will be a failure because it will lack whatever charm made the original a hit (originality, performance of the artists, etc.). No one is going to remake Queen's "We Are the Champions" and sing it better than Freddie Mercury. Someone might change the instrumentation or sing it differently and we may like that version, but no one can sing it the same way and expect to equal the original.

With music you can change instruments and keep everything else more or less the same and you have a decent remake (think about all the acoustic versions of popular songs). With movies it is much more difficult to make changes and remain true to the original, even if some of the changes are improvements because often the flaws in the originals become part of their charm. Think about it- is someone really going to revise Heston's performance in Planet of the Apes and do it better? No, because his campy, overacting is part of the charm of the original.

Fly O.T. McWall
05-16-2007, 09:47 AM
With music you can change instruments and keep everything else more or less the same and you have a decent remake (think about all the acoustic versions of popular songs).
Layla >>>>>>>>>>>>>> acoustic Layla.

cdcox
05-16-2007, 09:57 AM

While I agree the original is better, I like both. Their is enough difference between the two to make the acoustic version seem fresh. The fact that Clapton was the lead on both versions gave the acoustic version the stamp of authenticity. Most movie remakes seem neither fresh nor authentic.

Fly O.T. McWall
05-16-2007, 10:13 AM
JFK >>>>>>>>>> JFK Jr.

Iowanian
05-16-2007, 10:58 AM
I suppose that Fireme, Dane and the lot don't mind if people download Remake movies, since the producers, actors, director and all are borrowing the script, intellectual property and idea from someone else.

Iowanian
05-16-2007, 11:00 AM
People don't like remakes for the same reason I don't tell Iowanian's jokes. They're his frick'n jokes, not mine. If I started repeating all his material then it's gonna get stale and stupid.

Its ok Phildo. I've seen Iowani-slams pop up on other boards, you might as well skim the fat off the top.

PunkinDrublic
05-16-2007, 11:06 AM
IMO the best movies coming out are the limited release indy movies. There's some mainstream movies that come out that are okay but nothing that really wows me. The indy movies are kind of hit and miss with me but at least I feel like I might have a chance to see a more original film.

Adept Havelock
05-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Totally screwed up the ending, but the rest was fantastic. As a Stephen King fan, I'll take that. It's still by far the best film based on King's work.

Sorry, for that honor I give the nod to The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.

KcMizzou
05-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Sorry, for that honor I give the nod to The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.Yeah, like Fraz said, my mistake was only thinking of King's horror. Shawshank's the best.

Personally I'd put The Shining ahead of The Green Mile, though.

Baby Lee
05-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Yeah, like Fraz said, my mistake was only thinking of King's horror. Shawshank's the best.

Reh-spec the Magical Negro.

Adept Havelock
05-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Yeah, like Fraz said, my mistake was only thinking of King's horror. Shawshank's the best.

I liked Kubricks version, but he played around with the novel too much, IMO. The Shining is the only piece of fiction I've ever read that actually scared me.

I liked the miniseries as well, but that was partly because it stuck to the novel, and partly because it was filmed at the Stanley Hotel in Estes, CO.

Reh-spec the Magical Negro.

Damn straight! Respect Scatman (Hong Kong Phooey) Crothers!

ClevelandBronco
05-16-2007, 03:58 PM

Give me this one: Devo's version of the Stones' "Satisfaction" was a great cover.

Adept Havelock
05-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Give me this one: Devo's version of the Stones' "Satisfaction" was a great cover.

Yes, but not as good (?) as the Sex Pistols cover of it. :p

Sully
05-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Stand By Me doesn't rate as one of the top KLing-made movies? Maybe it's because I was younger when it was out, but I thought it was a classic.

Slick32
05-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Remakes..eh?

What the art of remakes tells me is that there are fewer people to come up with ideas for movies. It is easier to say "let's remake movie X". They don't have to come up with a story line and then they can take total liberty with the base of the original.

One movie to compare is Walking Tall. The first movie, as hokie as it turned out, was the real life story of a guy from Tennessee. Yes, it was glorified but it was within acceptable boundaries by most. The remake, although mildly entertaining, skimmed the facts to a large extent. There were some of the same type of story lines, but by-in-large, it totally changed the form and style of the movie.

Remakes are, in my opinion, the lazy man's way to throw out a quick movie.

Jenson71
05-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Coppola talks...

"Now the studios know what to do, so they make SPIDER-MAN and they want to make PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN and that’s their formula that they have. That’s why they won’t make a drama anymore, they’re only interested in franchises. So that’s the business they are in now, and the big money of this year and this summer is going to come from three movies – SPIDERMAN, and the PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN and SHREK…so they have what they want… they know what to do. In the seventies, they didn’t know what to do."

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32584

Fly O.T. McWall
05-17-2007, 09:52 AM
Coppola talks...

"Now the studios know what to do, so they make SPIDER-MAN and they want to make PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN and that’s their formula that they have. That’s why they won’t make a drama anymore, they’re only interested in franchises. So that’s the business they are in now, and the big money of this year and this summer is going to come from three movies – SPIDERMAN, and the PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN and SHREK…so they have what they want… they know what to do. In the seventies, they didn’t know what to do."

francis apparently forgot about Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. it'll make more money than Shrek for sure, probably all three. a lot of people were disappointed with Pirates and Spider-Man so they didn't fare as well on their consecutive weekends as they did on their opening weekend.

then, i'm sure it'll be eclipsed by Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.

cdcox
05-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Coppola talks...

I wish they'd go back to not knowing what to do. The '70s was a time for great movies.

Fly O.T. McWall
05-17-2007, 09:59 AM
I wish they'd go back to not knowing what to do. The '70s was a time for great movies.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070679/