PDA

View Full Version : Dog training techniques

Dunit35
05-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Well our Siberian Husky is 8 1/2 weeks old now. I've been working with her to sit for a few days now. She is doing average on learning that. She does a good job on not going to the bathroom on the floor. Although, she likes to poo on the floor after we go to work. She pees on her potty pad most of the time. I'd like to teach her how to do these things.

1. Sit
2. Lay
3. get down
4. not run off
5. Get me a beer (jk, a buddies dog (black lab) has learned how to do that.)

stuff like that. I had to give her a spankin earlier for not coming to me when I called her. What are some good techniques to get her to learn these?

btlook1
05-17-2007, 11:18 PM
Far as the potty training crate training works the best. Most of my labs were pretty much potty trained by 12 weeks or so. Put them in the crate when gone/etc. then take them out side first thing after letting out. Works usually in a couple of weeks don't use to big of crate though as they don't like to potty then lay in it...it works if you stick to it.
Sit is easy just push his back end down it should take him a couple of weeks to get it down but some puppies sometimes take longer to get it also. At 8 weeks I wouldn't expect perfection. One thing at a time is my recommendation especially with a young puppy. If all else fails get a Lab....lol.

Silock
05-17-2007, 11:20 PM
Don't spank her. I'm not one of those "Don't beat a dog" nazis, but at 8 1/2 weeks, her not coming when she's called is to be expected. Negative reinforcement in that way can do more harm than good.

I recommend the dog whisperer technique. It sounds stupid and new-agey, and maybe it is, but it totally works.

sd4chiefs
05-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Don't spank her. I'm not one of those "Don't beat a dog" nazis, but at 8 1/2 weeks, her not coming when she's called is to be expected. Negative reinforcement in that way can do more harm than good.

I recommend the dog whisperer technique. It sounds stupid and new-agey, and maybe it is, but it totally works.

What he said.

Also, spend some money and take him to obedience school.

Sit and stay are easy. After that, good luck.

pr_capone
05-17-2007, 11:39 PM
stuff like that. I had to give her a spankin earlier for not coming to me when I called her. What are some good techniques to get her to learn these?

If you swat her after giving her the command to come, she will associate beating with that word and you will NEVER get her to come to you.

Puppy classes are GREAT. Talk with your vet or other dog owners as to where is a good place to take your pup for training classes.

Dunit35
05-18-2007, 12:07 AM

Hmm...I figured I shouldn't have spanked her. Shes going in tomorrow to get her second round of shots. I'll talk to the vet about training.

DaneMcCloud
05-18-2007, 12:43 AM
Don't EVER spank or hit your pooch. Especially a pup. EVER.

Ebolapox
05-18-2007, 12:46 AM
I'm surprised I'm the first to say this...

antifreeze?

DaneMcCloud
05-18-2007, 12:46 AM
I had to give her a spankin earlier for not coming to me when I called her. What are some good techniques to get her to learn these?

Did you have a treat when you called her? Treats are essential to puppy training. Even after your pooch is 5 years old, they need to be treated like they're still pups; they LOVE being obedient and making their Master happy.

NEVER abuse your pooch.

Ebolapox
05-18-2007, 12:48 AM
on a quasi serious note, though, here's a good video for dog training.

<a href="http://www.looptard.com/funny_videos_Will_Farrell_dissing_your_dog.html">dog training video</a>

Silock
05-18-2007, 03:25 AM
Did you have a treat when you called her? Treats are essential to puppy training. Even after your pooch is 5 years old, they need to be treated like they're still pups; they LOVE being obedient and making their Master happy.

NEVER abuse your pooch.

I don't recommend training with treats. I recommend training with praise and affection. After having owned and self-trained 3 dogs in my short 26 years, hands-down praise is the most effective and easiest way to do it. Treats are bad because they know when you don't have one and they won't respond unless you get one.

NewChief
05-18-2007, 05:19 AM
Huskies are notorious for wandering and running off, so you definitely want to work out the come command. Definitely DO NOT spank her for not coming.

I've heard really, really good things about the Monks of New Skete books. Here's an Amazon page (http://www.amazon.com/Art-Raising-Puppy-Monks-Skete/dp/0316578398/ref=sr_1_1/102-5380671-3604968?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179487036&sr=1-1).

Slick32
05-18-2007, 05:32 AM
Work the training with treats that the dog likes. I'm sure that you can find some techniques on the internet.

I found that repetitive commands and treats give the dog a reason to preform. At the same time you give the treats give the dog praise for doing the task. Repeat, repeat, repeat!

The dog obedience school recommendation is the best one on the board. You will find that you learn the hand signals for what you want the dog to do as well as how to use a pinch collar to control them as they get bigger. Some people think the pinch collar is over the top, but I found them to be very useful in the training phase of school as well as being a good control mechanism when the dog is attacked by other dogs when walking. I own big dogs and the smaller dogs will attack. I use pepper spray to keep them away. I'm not worried about my dog getting hurt but I am worried about my wife or me getting hurt from our dogs dragging us along behind them as they chase down the other dogs.

MOhillbilly
05-18-2007, 07:04 AM
off,out,down & come are the only commands you should screw w/ till the dog is 5-6 months old.
other than that just let them be a puppy. relax and youll both be much happier in the long run

monks of new skete 'the art of raising a puppy' is a must own.

MOhillbilly
05-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Hmm...I figured I shouldn't have spanked her. Shes going in tomorrow to get her second round of shots. I'll talk to the vet about training.

pump the vet for info. if he is a good vet he will be more than happy to answer all your questions. if not find another vet.
also id suggest a vet that has been out of school less than ten years.

Delano
05-18-2007, 07:09 AM
I've got a Boxer that is about a week older than your huskie. He knows how to sit, lay down, shake and high five. He also knows his name. He pees in the house maybe once every three days now and only if we let our guard down for a few seconds. Crate training is a fantastic way to train, not just to pee outside, but everything. If the dog is being a huge pain in the ass (biting, or other undesireable behavior) he goes in the crate.

I taught Otto how to sit by holding a piece of dog food in front of him before he eats supper and slowly raising it up so that he must sit down to look up. You can do this or move it back from his head to his tail area about 1 foot above his head. Another good time is when he is going out of the apartment or coming back in the building. Sit was really easy for my Boxer.

Lay Down is fairly simple after he gets sit mastered. I just had a treat in my hand and put it in his face, then moved it to the ground. I said "down" once and would not praise or give the treat until he actually sat down.

If you see your dog doing a natural behavior that you think is desireable, turn it into a trick. My dog would paw at my hand while I was teaching him "down." Well with a bit of work he now knows, "high five," "shake," and "down."

Me and my wife read a bunch of breed specific books, but we also watch the animal planet channel that has "Divine Canine with the Monks of New Skete" and "It's me or the Dog." Both are good shows that show training techniques.

If your dog is jumping up on you, just turn your back on him and withdraw your attention for a minute.

Remember that CONSISTENCY is the key! If you like your puppy to jump on you while you are playing, he is not going to learn to not jump on visitors or senior citizens.

As far as the "come," I think that is a bit harder to teach and may have to wait until 3 months. I plan to get a 50 ft rope with a weighted end. Me and my wife will stand apart and call him to us. If the dog doesn't come, we pull on the rope a bit and reward him at the end if he does well. You must have acclimated your puppy to a lead before this point of course.

Another good bit of advice is to find a Husky forum. Breed specific information is your best bet.

Good luck!

jawaba2k
05-18-2007, 07:12 AM
Hands down the best training methods I've seen and a great read.

Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Art-Raising-Puppy-Monks-Skete/dp/0316578398/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-6095185-8432613?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179493857&sr=1-1)